Menu

Bean soup

Night Elf

I get the mixed bag of beans, also. I add (per the recipe) 1T of chili powder, 1 can (14.5oz) of diced tomatoes, 2 cloves (or powdered equiv) garlic and kielbasa or smoked sausage. Last time I didn't add the little packet of "flavoring" and it was still great. It makes enough for AT LEAST two meals for us--about 3 quarts of soup. The beans are cheap--less than $2, and the smoked sausage was, I think, less than $3 on sale.

Yummo.

I make lots of bean soups in the winter.

Lentil with carrots, celery, tomatoes, and kale

Curried lentils

Southwestern black bean with corn, tomatoes, mild green chilies (could substitute jalepenos if you like more heat)

Split pea with bacon, ham, or sausage

15 bean soup with ham stock and diced ham

Minestrone with cannelini beans

Chickpeas, tomatoes, turkey sausage

Curried chickpeas and rice with coconut milk

I read "Volumetrics" way back when and got into the habit of having frequent soup & salad dinners as a weight control thing. The kids typically have a sandwich in addition to the soup & salad since they are still growing.

The grocery store sells a 15 bean soup mix...it's just a bag of 15 kinds of beans, and a seasoning packet. i don' t use the seasoning, I figure it's full of msg or what not. I saute some onion and maybe a pepper and some sliced smoked sausage or spicy sausage (andoullie is really good) and then put in the beans (presoaked) and enough water ot make it soupy. Cook for hours. Yum. My whole family loves it, especially my teen son.

Red beans and rice. Sautée onions, celery, (bell pepper optional) and lots of garlic in a bit of oil, add cooked or canned beans and water (and sausage if desired), simmer for a while. We serve it with Tabasco as desired rather than cooking in the spice, just because of our little ones. Serve it over rice with cornbread on the side. Even better the next day.

Ok, I've always wanted to know. What is a hamhock? I put diced ham or pork chops in my black bean soup along with onions and Tony's creole seasoning. Thanks for some new ideas. I'm going to look for a mixed bean bag next time. I need simple cooking or it doesn't get cooked.