Menu

How do You Clean out a Platypus?

Camelbak makes cleaning tablets that can be used to clean and disinfect the bladders.  Cleaning kit

I can never seems to get the drinking tube to dry out so after we use ours I run very hot water with a drop of bleach through them, rinse with very hot water and then we store them in the freezer so that the remaining water drops in the hose don't grow things.

:lol:

If you're talking about the Camelback water backpack, IDK.  I've tried and after washing it out with warm water and vinegar, I usually say screw it and just buy a replacement bladder. 

See, that's what I've done in the past and it's getting expensive.  I  have to figure out how to actually clean it.

Ok what is a water backpack?!

It is a type of flattened water "bottle" that you wear like a backpack. Usually used to keep hands-free while hiking, biking, etc.

See, I was expecting someone to tell me to give it Miralax. . . .    Poor platypus!  

Geez, people, drugs should never be your first line of defense.  How about increasing its roughage?  Going gluten-free?  Increasing intake of clear fluids?  Try all of these FIRST, while you wait on the appointment with the gastroenterologist.  Have you  learned NOTHING from these boards?  

They really are nice for hiking.  The platypus goes in the backpack (we have one with a little hole that the tube can come out of) and you can just take a drink whenever you want.  I get worried though because even if I rinse it out with soap and water, it's not like you can really dry it in there.  Unless someone has a tip?  I worry about mold.

You can use about 10 drops of bleach, leave the lock of the bite valve, and set it on the counter for the whole day.  Before going to bed, flip it over so the air bubble transfers to the opposite side.  Leave it until about noon the next day.  Then open the bite valve and flush the water out through the bite valve.  You have to hold the bite valve open with one hand and press on the bladder with the other to get the water to flush.

Just rinse it out a couple of times to remove the mild bleachy taste and you are good to go.

We are a family of long distance backpackers.  I do this quite frequently.

ETA: In order to get them dry, open the fill lid and place a bottle of water inside.  The bottle of water will stand up inside holding the bladder up right and you can drape the lid over the top of the bottle of water.  This will keep it up and let the air circulate inside.  It still takes a day or so, but it works well to get most all the water out.  If you don't mind a puddle on your counter, you can invert the bladder over the bottle of water and gravity along with the air circulation makes the process faster.