Menu

Keep scrupulous records of college classes!

Please learn from my mistake and keep scrupulous records of college classes!

I am a reasonable record-keeper. I sent three kids off to college and none had to provide any details of their dual-enrollment classes above and beyond the official transcript from the college to get transfer credit.

So with kid #4 I got a bit sloppy. It is hard to get motivated to keep records when --

1) The kid doesn't care about the record-keeping part of homeschooling;

2) EVERYTHING for the class is online and thus I need the kids' cooperation to get access to the password-protected syllabus, etc. (Which means I need to be thinking about record-keeping at a time when she is actually home and reasonably unoccupied!)

3) All exams are done online so printing them out would be a pain.

So the record-keeping for three of dd2's dual-enrollment classes was pathetic.... but I never dreamed it would matter.

Well, she will be attending a college that requires the GENUINE copy of the graded final exam and a class syllabus in order to hope to get transfer credit for the class. (This college requires this even from 4-year colleges that are MUCH higher-ranked than it -- go figure!)  This college may be the only one in the country with a policy this strict, but I figure if there is one college this uptight about transfer credits there is probably another.....

We'll see what happens. Dd2 is emailing profs, though one is retired and  no longer in the area so that class may be a lost cause. (She will try to contact the department on Tuesday.) And even if she gets credit, it remains to be seen how useful the credits are -- they may not actually get her out of any gen eds, which would be the only benefit.

But I though I would go public with this story so that others remember --

1) Print out the syllabus!

2) Keep those exams, and if possible pick up the final exam from the prof at the end of the semester.

Thanks for the info. I keep a folder for each of my college classes. The first thing that goes in there is a copy of the syllabus. I hadn't thought of printing off my final, however - my classes were also online. I  should try to do that just in case. 

By genuine copy, do they mean the original and not a duplicate? That's utterly bizarre, and I've never heard of that being requested before.

Many universities will not even allow duplicating the final as similar questions are used from year to year.

Never heard of the requirement for finals, but yes, keep the syllabus. I was recently contacted by a student who needed a syllabus for the course I am currently teaching. Problem is, he took it several semesters ago with a different instructor - so he needs to track down that guy who is no longer teaching that class and obtain the actual syllabus from that semester back then when he took the course. It will be a major hassle.

Oddly enough, my dd2 had no problems obtaining her final exams from W&M. The profs were really nice, and a few even offered to email the department and talk about the class and my dd as a student.  She has all her ducks in a row for transferring credit for her W&M classes. We just need to wait and see what the college has to say.

The classes she took at the local CC are a different story. She doesn't have the final exam, the prof moved, she can't find a copy of the syllabus, etc. The college is waiving the final exam requirement for the classes that had exclusively online finals.....but yes, this is crazy.

BTW, she knew about the college's obnoxious transfer policy before she decided to accept the offer of admission, so at least she accepted knowing that there was a really good chance that none of her classes (including the W&M ones) would transfer. (She is entering as a freshman, not a transfer student, but she wants to be done with the onerous list of gen eds ASAP!)

At the university where I taught, instructors were required to file copies of their syllabi every semester with the department secretary. Every syllabus for every course for the past several decades (at least) is on file there.

Is there any possibility that there might be a similar policy at your college? The secretary often understands a lot more about the paper flow in a department than anybody else; I'd try there first. (And then take her out for coffee or bring her some flowers afterwards!)

ETA: Here, marked final exams were required to be deposited by the instructor with the examinations clerk in the records department; that's the person you likely need to find for that part of the equation if there's a similar policy there.

I wonder if the college dd is going to requires graded final exams because it lowers the number of students who apply for transfer credit, since only the most determined will discover (as my dd did) that the requirement will be waived if the student can't get the final. Hmmm..... but that's WAY too cynical of me, right?

I wonder if the college dd is going to requires graded final exams because it lowers the number of students who apply for transfer credit, since only the most determined will discover (as my dd did) that the requirement will be waived if the student can't get the final. Hmmm..... but that's WAY too cynical of me, right?

I guess you'll know for sure when they either hand back the graded exams....or don't.