Menu

Self-Educators check in..what have you lined up for this year?

I'm liking the term autodidact better, however....

Think of this as the planning thread for Self-Education 2014-2015. I couldn't find one.

I am planning on retaking ninth grade, this time WTM style.

Math: Algebra (Algebra 1: A Fresh Approach-Walters)

Foreign Language: Latin for Beginners-Vintage Text D'Ooge)

Grammar and Composition: KISS Level 1 for 9th grade, working my way through CW Homer and CW Poetry for Beginners

Spelling: Rules For English Spelling-Vintage Text Brewer, and if I get bored I've got a couple other advanced spellers

Great Books: Tackling the Ancients stuff this year. Starting with the ninth grade list in TWTM

History/Geography-History of the Ancient World (already read it once and liked it, so more in-depth work this time around. Might pick up some books to go along with the study of Homer (suggestions?)

Science-?

The boys are doing Biology and I'm sort of doing the arrangement. I'll probably end up refreshing my knowledge that way, but my background is so steeped in Biology that I'm sort of at a loss as to what to do. I didn't get a lot of insects or fish study, and since I've got bees, I figured on working my way through some bee unit study stuff. Top of the list is Langstroth's Hive and the Honey Bee. Extremely dense text, lots of poetry!

Physical Education: Just recovered from a foot injury, looking forward getting back into 5K-10K training again.

I think that's about it. Oh, yes, motivation.

Trying to stay ahead of my fifth graders, and also trying to contribute to discussion by working on the same things at a more advanced level.

Edit: Almost forgot Logic. I found a vintage text to read through. I don't think my budget is going to allow the MP program this fall, but we'll see.

Mine is still in the process of tweaking, but for the most part.

Bible / Mythology - We combined these two, but we're covering the books of the bible as well as Greek/Roman mythology since I adore mythology.

Foreign Language - Spanish, I took 2 years prior already but I barely remember anything outside of alphabet/numbers/colors/basic conversation. I'm still trying to find something to really learn this with.

HIstory - World History first from FIrst Humans to Present Time with a mixture of Government/Democracy and US history. I still need a US history textbook, so looks like I'll be off to Half Price sometime soon!

Geography / Geology - Geography covering Map Skills/Countries/Capitals/States, etc. And then Geology focusing on plates/volcanoes/earthquakes. I'm using a college level Geology book for this.

Grammar / Writing - Basic start on grammar since no school ever properly taught me it, and then I'm not sure what my mom has planned for writing, yet.

Reading / Shakespeare - Right now I'm starting with the history of Shakespeare, along with some of his tales and some novel readings. I don't have many novels since most of ours are boxed up so I have to 'shop' around for those.

Math - I'm starting in grade 5 with addition/subtraction and going from there.

My boys are going to be doing Breaking the Barrier for Spanish this year. I've had some, and can muddle my way through pretty well. My brother is fluent, and my Dad is also very close to fluent. Both can interpret when they need to.

I've got my brother looking out some good Spanish cartoons for my boys.

If you haven't looked at Madrigal's for Spanish, take a look.

E. Nesbit wrote a book called Beautiful Stories from Shakespeare. I think you actually can read that one on-line. My library has it. It provides a nice overview of the plots of quite a few of the plays, and I liked it better than Lamb. It's a lot easier for me to wrestle with the language when I've got an idea of the plot. I'm not thinking too far ahead to next year, but I'm thinking I'd like to try The Tempest and Macbeth..those are two I've never read.

I've been working through algebra I, biology (2 campbells & 1 macaw), and spanish (breaking the barrier & some other resources). I have also been reading widely through ancient history textbooks and texts trying to figure out a gameplan. I want to do SWB's ancient history + something...trying to figure out the +...

My boys are going to be doing Breaking the Barrier for Spanish this year. I've had some, and can muddle my way through pretty well. My brother is fluent, and my Dad is also very close to fluent. Both can interpret when they need to.

I've got my brother looking out some good Spanish cartoons for my boys.

If you haven't looked at Madrigal's for Spanish, take a look.

E. Nesbit wrote a book called Beautiful Stories from Shakespeare. I think you actually can read that one on-line. My library has it. It provides a nice overview of the plots of quite a few of the plays, and I liked it better than Lamb. It's a lot easier for me to wrestle with the language when I've got an idea of the plot. I'm not thinking too far ahead to next year, but I'm thinking I'd like to try The Tempest and Macbeth..those are two I've never read.

I'll look into those. I have a huge book of Shakespeare on really fine paper, so I'm covered with his plays. I just can't decide which to read, so I might read them all. I've only ever read Romeo & Juliet in school because that's all they ever covered -_-

I want to get some of the Teaching Company lectures... I have been reading through a number of History of the World texts, anthologies, texts with commentaries....and while that is great for *me*, I need to figure out what will work for my boys. They are both 2e, but in very different ways, and for budget purposes I want to be able to hand down as many materials as possible. Hitting that 9th grade level is hard---I am not worried about reading level in terms of vocabulary but how many 14yos have enough life experience to really, really get the Great Books. Eh, that's what I am chewing on...

I am taking my friend Grace's course in Poetry Matters. She is also offering one in Grammar. Even though I'm one of the other tutors at the "Harvey Center," I decided to enroll as a student, because I've always wanted to learn more about poetry! There is another homeschooling grandma signed up too, along with a couple of high schoolers! LOL

I'm also studying Italian with Pimsleur. My middle son is taking it at the university, so we can practice together. I love to keep learning!--its cheaper than shopping. :)

My lists are so long! I have a hard time focusing.

This summer my plan is to re-visited Algebra I and II. I am also taking an online SQL class.

In the fall GIS at the college. I may add on one more class (not sure yet)

Of course, I am doing loads of highschool reading with my highschoolers; American History and Literature mostly.

I'm planning to focus my self-education in three areas:

* Latin: Using Wheelock's.  

* Mathematics: Reviewing calculus first, then continuing to other courses using MIT's OpenCourseWare.

* Research: I have ideas for some research I'd like to conduct, so I plan to work on reviewing the literature on the subject.

I need to establish some concrete goals, but right now, I don't know how much time I'll be able to spend, or whether I'll end up working on all three areas at the same time or doing one at a time.

I'm continuing to work on painting via doing it and library books, guitar here and there, and foreign languages with a variety of resources.  I want to learn some electronics, too, but I'm having enough trouble balancing the stuff I have.  Most of what I am doing requires vast amounts of drill.  To help with that, my family got me an ipad mini for mother's day.  I just loaded it up with games and apps to help with visual memory, ear training, and kana, and it is proving very nice for making those spare bits of time while I am waiting for something useful.  That is, if I can keep from spending time gazing at my koi pond app instead lol.  It won't substitute for the hours I need to spend with a paintbrush in my hand or a guitar in my lap, but it is helping make the mental drill part more fun.  And being small, I think it will make the waiting part of pre-school and elder care nicer, especially combined with a story on my ipod.  Of course, this assumes that I am able to hang on to it.  It turns out that the games that appeal to me also appeal to the rest of my family. : )

Nan

I have a few things going: 

- I'm taking a course in apologetics - The Core Module - at RZIM Academy. In the fall, they are opening their next course, I so I will sign up for that as well. 

- I am beginning to study the GRE, primarily by using a study guide, but also using AoPS Algebra as a resource. 

- I have an extensive reading list brewing, although it isn't a classical-style list. just books that interest me. So far, these books are on the list: 

The Pleasure of Finding Things Out by Richard Feynman

Desiring the Kingdom (Cultural Liturgies): Worship, Worldview and Cultural Formation by James K.A. Smith

The Sacredness of Human Life by David P. Gushee

The Digital Divide: Arguments for and Against Facebook, Google, Texting and the Age of Social Networking by Mark Bauerlein

Alone Together: Why we Expect More from Technology and Less from People by Sherry Turkle

The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to Our Braina by Nicolas Carr

Amusing Ourselves to Death: Public Discourse in the Age of Show Business by Cal Newport

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

Invisibles: The Power of Anonymous Work in an Age of Relentless Self-Promotion by David Zweig

Happy City: Transforming Our Lives Through Urban Design by Charles Montgomery

The Rise of the Creative Class by Richard Florida

Renovation of the Heart: Putting on the Character of Christ by Dallas Willard

You Can Draw in 30 Days by Mark Kistler

At Home: A Short History of Private Life by Bill Bryson

Expanding Architecture: Design as Activism by Bryan Bell, et. al. 

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain

The Tilted World: A Novel by Tom Kennedy & Beth Ann Franklin

Walking with Moonshine: My Life in Stories by Lucy Daniels

Gap Creek: A Novel by Robert Morgan

The Road From Gap Creek by Robert Morgan

Strangers at My Door: A True Story of Finding Jesus in Unexpected Guests by Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove

Chasing Chaos: My Decade in and Out of Humanitarian Aid by Jessica Alexander

Guests on Earth: A Novel by Lee Smith

Leisure: The Basis of Culture by Josef Pieper and James B. Schall

I'm still trying to improve the clarity of my writing skills, mosty through using William Strunk and E.B. White's Elements of Style, supplemented with certain parts of the Fowler Brothers' King's English. Practice, practice, practice. :)

On a practical level, I've been working on Roger Fisher and William Ury's Getting To Yes, the result of their research on why some diplomats were more successful than others. I would hold off on calling it a "classic", but being useful 33 years after its publication is a good start.

I'd like to read Edwin Abbot's Flatland and G.H. Hardy's A Mathematician's Apology. I'm hoping they will help me become excited about re-visiting math.

A few scientific autobiographies are in the queue, one for Max Planck, one for Charles Darwin, and one for Thomas Huxley. I know that "doing" science is probably more valuable than reading about scientists... I just need to create a space for it, I guess.

I've thought about reading something simple from Sigmund Freud, such as The Question of Lay Analysis, but am not sure if that would be useful, since many of his ideas have been superceded in the field of psychology.

For the Greeks and Romans, I have Cicero's On Moral Obligation and Aristotle's Ethics waiting for me... maybe more than I can handle, we'll see.

For fiction, there's Ernest Hemingway's Old Man and the Sea, G.K. Chesterton's The Man Who Knew Too Much, and Alexander Woolcot's Two Gentlemen and a Lady. Should be interesting. :-)

I forgot to list The Great Water Experiment, my attempt to find water that won't kill goldfish.  My husband asked this morning if there was room on the water table for us to eat breakfast.  I moved a few milk jugs and managed to free up enough room for our cereal bowls.  I'm almost done with that experiment.

Anacharsis - I just loaded Flatland onto my ipad. : )

Techwife - I love your book list.  I see several books on it that I'd like to read, now.  Thank you for typing it all out!

Nan

I'm going to

work through College Physics by Knight  

work on analysis of articles -I'm starting with introductions in the National Geographic

write a persuasive paper

Learn more ASL

read as always, but try to write more about what I have read, maybe just summaries.  Because I find when I start to tell someone that I really liked or got a lot out of a book, I then proceed to stumble and fall when telling them why

Edit: Almost forgot Logic. I found a vintage text to read through. I don't think my budget is going to allow the MP program this fall, but we'll see.

Would you share the name of the logic text you found?

Thanks!

Think of this as the planning thread for Self-Education 2014-2015. I couldn't find one.

Grammar and Composition: KISS Level 1 for 9th grade, working my way through CW Homer and CW Poetry for Beginners

Spelling: Rules For English Spelling-Vintage Text Brewer, and if I get bored I've got a couple other advanced spellers

Great Books: Tackling the Ancients stuff this year. Starting with the ninth grade list in TWTM

History/Geography-History of the Ancient World (already read it once and liked it, so more in-depth work this time around. Might pick up some books to go along with the study of Homer (suggestions?)

Trying to stay ahead of my fifth graders, and also trying to contribute to discussion by working on the same things at a more advanced level.

This is a great question!  Many of the things you are doing are on my radar as well: focus on Ancients, CW, KISS.  I do the writing and grammar with my oldest, as we work through it together, I am learning a ton.  I should probably also do the writing projects for myself.  We are at KISS 3.2--I can't believe how much I have learned!  I knew the basic parts of speech and S/V/C pattern, but I have learned so much about phrases and clauses--really I guess this is what I would call grammar at the sentence level.

Also working on Latin with my oldest, we do Lingua Latina together.  I have gone through Wheelock in the past, but I am enjoying Lingua Latina so much more.  I am also trying to take the plunge with learning Greek.  Am working through A Greek Hupogrammon to really nail down the alphabet and pronunciation.  Am hoping to work my way to learning Attic Greek.

Ancients History/Literature: I have the books to do Omnibus I, though I will probably substitute some of the books (I'd like a different flavor for my theology books).  Will use SWB's Ancients book and am also looking at using Classical Historian stuff for some critical thinking/writing.  Also have Spielvogel for history.

Great Books: I'll be doing Abigail Adams Academy Colloquium next year (leading some of the book discussions)--you can see the booklist here: http://www.abigailadamsacademy.com/abigail-adams-colloquium1.html .  Love, love, love the discussion with others, and having a schedule helps me stay on track and read books I might not choose otherwise.

Economics/Gov: reading through the Uncle Eric books for a basic understanding.  Also using Hillsdale College's free online series on US Constitution (2 levels--see more here https://online.hillsdale.edu/) and various lectures/materials from             Mises.org for Economics.

And of course I'd like to do something with Spanish, Logic, and Worldview and.......   well, I probably have WAAAAY to much on my plate, but I do keep making the rounds on these things!

- I have an extensive reading list brewing, although it isn't a classical-style list. just books that interest me. So far, these books are on the list: 

The Pleasure of Finding Things Out by Richard Feynman

Desiring the Kingdom (Cultural Liturgies): Worship, Worldview and Cultural Formation by James K.A. Smith

The Sacredness of Human Life by David P. Gushee

The Digital Divide: Arguments for and Against Facebook, Google, Texting and the Age of Social Networking by Mark Bauerlein

Alone Together: Why we Expect More from Technology and Less from People by Sherry Turkle

The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to Our Braina by Nicolas Carr

Amusing Ourselves to Death: Public Discourse in the Age of Show Business by Cal Newport

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

Invisibles: The Power of Anonymous Work in an Age of Relentless Self-Promotion by David Zweig

Happy City: Transforming Our Lives Through Urban Design by Charles Montgomery

The Rise of the Creative Class by Richard Florida

Renovation of the Heart: Putting on the Character of Christ by Dallas Willard

You Can Draw in 30 Days by Mark Kistler

At Home: A Short History of Private Life by Bill Bryson

Expanding Architecture: Design as Activism by Bryan Bell, et. al. 

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain

The Tilted World: A Novel by Tom Kennedy & Beth Ann Franklin

Walking with Moonshine: My Life in Stories by Lucy Daniels

Gap Creek: A Novel by Robert Morgan

The Road From Gap Creek by Robert Morgan

Strangers at My Door: A True Story of Finding Jesus in Unexpected Guests by Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove

Chasing Chaos: My Decade in and Out of Humanitarian Aid by Jessica Alexander

Guests on Earth: A Novel by Lee Smith

Leisure: The Basis of Culture by Josef Pieper and James B. Schall

Wow!  Love this list, I'll have to do some browsing at Amazon now.....

Science-?

The boys are doing Biology and I'm sort of doing the arrangement. I'll probably end up refreshing my knowledge that way, but my background is so steeped in Biology that I'm sort of at a loss as to what to do. I didn't get a lot of insects or fish study, and since I've got bees, I figured on working my way through some bee unit study stuff. Top of the list is Langstroth's Hive and the Honey Bee. Extremely dense text, lots of poetry!

Physical Education: Just recovered from a foot injury, looking forward getting back into 5K-10K training again.

I think that's about it. Oh, yes, motivation.

If I didn't have to work my tail off to keep up with my 10th grader's classes, I would go back to the Ancients and finish every last Elizabeth Vanidiver Teaching Company lecture that ds and I didn't get to last year because we only had a semester.

For Homer, Vandiver's lectures on the Iliad and the Odyssey are a must. Add Eva Brann's Homeric Moments and have a blast!

My primary focus is religions and belief systems. I've got a bunch of books lined up as well as some TC lectures. I have Philosophy of Religion and all of the individual religion courses.

I'm also delving into ethics and will spend some time on biology as well. I have the TC biology lectures and I'm itching to dig into them as soon as I finish the From Lucy to Mandela TC series.

Beyond that, probably just some literature.

My primary focus is religions and belief systems. I've got a bunch of books lined up as well as some TC lectures. I have Philosophy of Religion and all of the individual religion courses.

I'm also delving into ethics and will spend some time on biology as well. I have the TC biology lectures and I'm itching to dig into them as soon as I finish the From Lucy to Mandela TC series.

Beyond that, probably just some literature.

How is the From Lucy to Mandela series?

If I didn't have to work my tail off to keep up with my 10th grader's classes, I would go back to the Ancients and finish every last Elizabeth Vanidiver Teaching Company lecture that ds and I didn't get to last year because we only had a semester.

For Homer, Vandiver's lectures on the Iliad and the Odyssey are a must. Add Eva Brann's Homeric Moments and have a blast!

If you haven't at least listened to her Greek Tragedy lectures, I highly recommend them.  :)

So glad to see others working on some of the same stuff! Getting it all in is a problem. I do have two little boys to teach, after all. But I like the idea of working on the same things just at a different level to see if it can add some depth to our studies this year.

The Logic text I got from Google Books. It is Logic by Richard F. Clarke. There don't seem to be many floating around, but I might have better luck with more hunting.

I will certainly look into the Vandiver's Lectures on the Iliad, Odyssey and the Greek Tragedy lectures. I figure that every thing I can do to make my learning better will be another step in getting ready to teach the boys when they get there after me. I'm still trying to talk myself into the MP Logic Course using that same logic!

I really like that list, too. I was planning on reading The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to our Brains, but right now I'm so stressed out about finding good translations of Homer used that I've hardly touched on what else I might read. I don't know why I'm all up tight. My used bookseller will get me whatever I want and probably can recommend some I haven't even thought of.

Poking my head in here :) Can't do a lot as I'm busy this summer with my ebay business, but will try to do a little.

I'm planning to work through at least 1, probably 2 of the middle school Saxon Math texts starting with 54. I am rusty on my math skills & want to brush up before dd starts Saxon 54 this fall.

I also plan to increase my spiritual learning. Lots of books & youtube lectures about Islam. I might work my way through Learning about Islam, the semi-adult semi- high school level Islamic studies textbook I have on my shelf.

I've got to get to work this morning, but I'm going to be planning my schedule of time this week for the boys, and for myself, keeping in mind the multa non multum principle. Those of you who are studying ahead of your kids, or just planning a course of self-ed around work/job/etc would you mind describing how you allocated time for it? 

I think I will have a full half and one whole day if I study Sat afternoons and Sunday, but the rest of the week is going to have to be hours pulled from the evenings, I think.

How is the From Lucy to Mandela series?

It is excellent. Very engaging. I love the lecturer's voice, too. I really hate when I get a great series but can't stand the sound of the voice. This has been a treat.

I have two CEU music therapy courses coming up and a trip to the National Music Therapists convention in Louisville in November. I'm dusting off my books, clearing the cobwebs of my mind, and taking up practice again for just one client. Our pastor's baby was diagnosed with Infantile Spasms and it's badly damaged his brain. He was also diagnosed with a double duplication of a fragment of chromosome 15 thus giving him 47 chromosomes and they need all the help they can get. I start working with him in June.

Guest Ravenclaw

I, like you, am trying to solidify my high school education. I'm working on Latin (Wheelock's), Arabic (Alif Baa), Grammar (KISS) and Ancients (History of the Ancient World and Great Books). It'll be my first time studying history and literature this way and I'm really looking forward to it.

I'm currently taking Calculus through Derek Owens online. I'm struggling a little and wondering whether it would be better to drop back a little for a more solid foundation... I'm also registered for a science class in the fall as I don't think I even have a foundation to build on in science. 

I'm also going to try to get through more books (fiction and non-fiction) because I haven't made enough time to read in the last few years. It'd be good if we could keep each other updated in this thread as it's very encouraging to see what others are working on. :)

So glad to see others working on some of the same stuff! Getting it all in is a problem. I do have two little boys to teach, after all. But I like the idea of working on the same things just at a different level to see if it can add some depth to our studies this year.

The Logic text I got from Google Books. It is Logic by Richard F. Clarke. There don't seem to be many floating around, but I might have better luck with more hunting.

I will certainly look into the Vandiver's Lectures on the Iliad, Odyssey and the Greek Tragedy lectures. I figure that every thing I can do to make my learning better will be another step in getting ready to teach the boys when they get there after me. I'm still trying to talk myself into the MP Logic Course using that same logic!

I really like that list, too. I was planning on reading The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to our Brains, but right now I'm so stressed out about finding good translations of Homer used that I've hardly touched on what else I might read. I don't know why I'm all up tight. My used bookseller will get me whatever I want and probably can recommend some I haven't even thought of.

What is the issue with the translations? Fitzgerald is the one Vandiver uses and is often recommended on the board. Fagles gets the other half of the votes.  See if you can examine both at your library. I have both and like them each for different reasons. Eliana has some great threads on here with translation recommendations. I I can't find them, I know the ever-amazing Lori D. will be able to locate them.

I can't believe how long it took me to figure out that translations really do make a difference. In college, I just bought whatever was on the professor's list, so I do understand your angst.

I agree the Great Courses lectures by Vandiver are awesome. You might also consider checking out some of the Hillsdale's new Great Books 101 (free) course lectures / readings / study guide / discussions as they have some overlap with TWTM list (Book of Job, Illiad, Odyssey, Oedipus Rex). Annenberg has a World Lit thing on the Epic of Gilgamesh that is neat, although I think I could spend an entire semester on just what they have linked and spin-offs.  :drool5:

Oh, joy! I got the The Iliad (Fagles) and The Odyssey (Fitzgerald)... I paid $8 and $3 respectively. I LOVE my used bookseller. I also scored The Annotated Mona Lisa for $4. All in all, a very, very good day.

I am going back to Algebra because I hated it. I actually took Cal 1 and 2 in college, and loved them. They were tough, but I loved those classes, and Cal 2 was a summer class which I took simply to get my beloved instructor who was retiring after the summer term was up. I guess I just need to face my monster again and come to terms with it. 

Thanks RootAnn for the links. Free is good..then I can buy more books.

FaithManor, you might have some good suggestions as to how I should add music to my education. I love to listen, but know very little about composers. I only play piano a bit--I can still get through Moonlight Sonata, but that's about it. I don't know that I will be able to work in lessons (although if I keep getting great deals on my books, maybe!) I would like to do more. Our library has recently started offering the music library where I can get to it easily. I plan to start picking up some for listening, but it would be nice to add some composer study once a week or so.

Today I was going to make plans to venture to another Used Bookstore that was just under 30 mins away, but alas, not going to happen. There's no need to $15+ for 1 used workbook. Not going to happen.

So it looks like another trip to Half Price instead, oh well! I really need a US history book. I got my plans set for one, but I don't know if HPB is going to have it, or not.

But I did decide on August 4th as my start date, two days prior to the school's around here. We're going to be working on a page that lists all their 1/2 days and days off so we can plan our stuff when the kids are in school. It's the fun of living with 1 elementary, 3 high schools, and 1 junior high within 10-15 mins from my house lol

I think I'm going to start mine as soon as I have things coming in. At this point, I can start reading Logic and doing my Latin, and I really need it after totally goofing Multum non multa this morning! I maintain it was caffeine deficiency. 

In another week or so I could start up my writing. I can start grammar and my spelling rules book whenever I like. History and Math will probably be later this summer. I am taking six weeks off for summer break with the boys, which would be a great time for me to decide how much time I need for myself in the evenings. And it will give me time to get into the "school" mindset. Right now I'm pretty much reveling in the hedonism of summer break.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got to get to work this morning, but I'm going to be planning my schedule of time this week for the boys, and for myself, keeping in mind the multa non multum principle. Those of you who are studying ahead of your kids, or just planning a course of self-ed around work/job/etc would you mind describing how you allocated time for it? 

I think I will have a full half and one whole day if I study Sat afternoons and Sunday, but the rest of the week is going to have to be hours pulled from the evenings, I think.

Well, I am fortunate in that I only have 2 kids, and they are in the mid-to-late elementary stage, so they are becoming much more independent in their work.  Our school work usually only lasts until about 1:00, so I have my afternoons and evenings to myself for the most part.  Of course, I still have to keep the household running and make meals, etc., but other than that, I have embarrassing riches of time to devote to my own projects and study.  (LOVIN' IT!) 

The main way I find to gain time in your schedule is to keep outside commitments for your kids and yourself to a BARE minimum.  Do NOT over commit yourself to driving your kids to all sorts of activities! 

Another key is to work hard to purge your household of unnecessary "stuff" so you don't have too many "things" to take care of.  The less "stuff" you have, the less there is to pick up and organize.  Get your routines down for laundry, shopping, housecleaning, etc. so these things do not consume all your time.  

And most importantly, get your children trained up in adult-level chores so they can HELP you get things done around the house.  By the time they are 10-12, most kids could probably run the house if you work at teaching them to master chores (with a few exceptions for things they just can't lift/haul/reach yet).  Sometimes we expect WAAAAAAAY too little of kids/young adults.  One of their "jobs" is to learn how to be an adult.

All these things free up my mental energy and my time to be able to pursue studies and other worthy projects.