Menu

Unusual books for history...

Have you read any "unusual" books for history that were really enjoyed?

My children and I are looking at reading this book -- An Everyday History of Somewhere, Being the True Story of Indians, Deer, Homesteaders, Potatoes, Loggers, Tress, Fishermen, Salmon, and Other Living Things in Northern Califfornia -- and I'd love to find more interesting books on nearly any area of history.

Another book we really enjoyed was The Story of Salt.

So share any history books you've really enjoyed with your kids! Mine are 11 and 13 now, but I'll take suggestions for older kids as well.

Love these types of books!  Story of Salt is great, both the child and adult versions. I'll be watching this thread! A few more that we like here (mixed formats and levels):

Poop Happened

Oh, Yikes!

Sugar Changed the World

Written in Bone

The Amazing Potato

A Street Through TIme and the sequels

Plus there's of course the Horrible Histories, Around-the-House History, and You Wouldn't Want to Be... series.

Black Potatoes, about the Irish Potato Famine and its effects, was highly readable and fascinating. I had no idea how integral the potato became to the Irish diet, nor how the English Gov't responded (ineffectually).

Also liked The Real Revolution, re the American Revolution. Again, history I did not know before.

Both are prob fine for your 12yo.

I love books like that! Here's a short list of some I have read. YMMV for your kiddos:

• Cod: A Biography of the Fish that Changed the World
  • The Story of Sushi
  • The Secret Life of Lobsters
  • The Big Oyster: History on the Half Shell
  • The American Way of Eating
  • Farm City: The Education of an Urban Farmer
  • Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us
  • The Omnivore's Dilemma
  • The Emperor of All Maladies
  • The Checklist Manifesto: How to Get Things Right
  • Food Politics: How the Food Industry Influences Nutrition and Health
  • Animal, Vegetable, Miracle
  • Overdressed: The Shockingly High Cost of Cheap Fashion
  • The Swerve: How the World Became Modern
  • A History of the World in 6 Glasses
  • Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies
  • 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus
  • Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong
  • The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements
  • The World Until Yesterday: What Can We Learn from Traditional Societies?
  • The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined
  • The Mismeasure of Man
  • Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed
  • Debt: The First 5,000 Years
  • At Home: A Short History of Private Life

Love these types of books!  Story of Salt is great, both the child and adult versions. I'll be watching this thread! A few more that we like here (mixed formats and levels):

Poop Happened

Oh, Yikes!

Sugar Changed the World

Written in Bone

The Amazing Potato

A Street Through TIme and the sequels

Plus there's of course the Horrible Histories, Around-the-House History, and You Wouldn't Want to Be... series.

Black Potatoes, about the Irish Potato Famine and its effects, was highly readable and fascinating. I had no idea how integral the potato became to the Irish diet, nor how the English Gov't responded (ineffectually).

Also liked The Real Revolution, re the American Revolution. Again, history I did not know before.

Both are prob fine for your 12yo.

Interesting, sugar and potatoes were 2 of the 6 plants in Seeds of Change!

Thank you all so much! We're taking next year off from any sort of chronological history, and I want to keep us stocked with interesting books, so this is very helpful. I did put Poop Happens on hold at the library just now... it sounds hilarious!

Here are a few:

The Arabs in the Golden Age by Mokhtar Moktefi

Great Tales from English History (Volumes 1,2,3) by Robert Lacey

In the Land of Ur: The Discovery of Ancient Mesopotamia by Hans Baumann

Charles Dickens and the Street Children of London by Andrea Warren

The Longitude Prize by Joan Dash

I thought of a few more:

Built to Last

Phineas Gage

Blizzard! and The Great Fire by the same author
Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales
Toys!  Amazing Stories Behind Great Inventions

Girls Think of Everything

The kids and I are currently reading The Griffin and the Dinosaur, which is another one of these books I'm listing that are kind of about where history and science intersect (my favorite!), and it's by my favorite children's author for that sort of thing, Marc Aronson.  I won't list my adult favorites, there's too many and there would be a big overlap with Courtney's post above (great list!).  Except that she didn't include Connections, The Poisoner's Handbook, or anything by Simon Winchester, Victoria Finlay, or Mary Roach.  No list like that is complete without Mary Roach.  ;)

The Dirt on Clean, about bathing, cleanliness (or not), and plumbing, was fascinating.

The Family: A World History. Geez, the family values we hear about are surprisingly recent. Oops, I haven't read this. I read a similar sounding book about the family in England, but can't find the title.

Dover has a book on the history of undergarments. On my reading list.

ETA I found the book I was looking for. The Family, Sex and Marriage in England 1500-1800. Excellent!