Menu

Do you have a greenhouse?

Lakeside

I've never heard of a greenhouse as a gift!  Wow!  If it was me, I would put it up in the fall.......  maybe I just don't know, but I don't know what you use a greenhouse for in the summer.

Although, it would be nice in the winter......

I grew up in a house that had a greenhouse off the kitchen, so it was a permanent structure - a room of the house. Maybe not the same thing. :)

But we used it year round. I can't think of a time when there were not plants growing in there... Herbs at a minimum.

Do you have room for it year round? I'd lean toward putting it up! Fun!

Up in the north here. A greenhouse simply gives me a couple more months of gardening. I start my veggies in it so I can get a little more variety in our foods. Otherwise there aren't a lot of different things that grow in our short growing season. My tomatoes and some cucumbers stay in there all year, well, more like all summer. Nothing survives -50 weather, no matter how amazing a greenhouse I might have.

Sigh... I would love to have one...

My grandmother had one right off the kitchen (ideal).  She used hers for propagating seedlings over the winter, starting vegetables in the spring, rooting cuttings throughout the summer, nursing dubious plants along out of sight, and keeping all her various pots and tools in a more-or-less tidy contained place.

I have a dear friend with an AMAZING garden (just perennial / flowering shrubs / trees; no vegetables) that is featured in garden magazines etc -- hers is standalone, towards the back of her yard.  She uses hers mostly for propagation and for bringing in things like rosemary, citrus trees etc that can stand being outside in the summer but aren't hardy.

Both of them were / are in Zone 7.  

If I had one, I would grow (not start) intensive tomatoes, keep salad greens going 12 months a year, and use it for propagation.  (My biggest garden problem is deer, though, so just having a protected indoor space would be... unbelievable!)  I'm in Zone 6.  If I could, I'd have it right off the kitchen -- easier to poke around for just a few minutes while the water is boiling etc.

I have a green house and use it all but June, July and August (way too hot in there) :laugh: .  I use mine to grow lettuce and a few other things in the fall/winter, I put my Sago palms in it over the winter and my husband over winters Tilapia (for the pond) in it. Come spring I use it to start plants, mostly of the flower type. I am going to take a stab at a "real" garden this year so next spring I may try my hand at vegetable starters.

I "bubbled wrapped" my green house - basically a pool solar cover on my green house with the door area cut out. It has allowed me to garden very well threw the winter. I am zone 6 (TN), so my winters aren't like up north, but when it's 30 degrees outside, it's 70 - 85 degrees in the green house.

If you are interested, I can take a picture of it and try to post. I'm not an expert veggie gardener, but I'm an avid flower gardener.

I live in south Florida so everywhere is a big greenhouse. I just wanted to say what a neat gift that is.

Bite me!

I'm still bitter about our long winter.

I don't have a greenhouse, but I have been eyeballing the little portable ones at big lots. Also, I just built a garden cover this weekend. I'm thinking I could make a plastic cover for it and extend my season a bit.

I've never heard of a greenhouse as a gift!  Wow!  If it was me, I would put it up in the fall.......  maybe I just don't know, but I don't know what you use a greenhouse for in the summer.

Although, it would be nice in the winter......

That's what I was thinking too!  That's why I figured I'd ask here.  I figured if there was something to grow in it in the summer here, somebody on here would know what it was!  

I had hoped to put it up in the fall and get seedlings started this spring.  But, yeah, that didn't happen!  :lol:  

I have a green house and use it all but June, July and August (way too hot in there) :laugh: .  I use mine to grow lettuce and a few other things in the fall/winter, I put my Sago palms in it over the winter and my husband over winters Tilapia (for the pond) in it. Come spring I use it to start plants, mostly of the flower type. I am going to take a stab at a "real" garden this year so next spring I may try my hand at vegetable starters.

I "bubbled wrapped" my green house - basically a pool solar cover on my green house with the door area cut out. It has allowed me to garden very well threw the winter. I am zone 6 (TN), so my winters aren't like up north, but when it's 30 degrees outside, it's 70 - 85 degrees in the green house.

If you are interested, I can take a picture of it and try to post. I'm not an expert veggie gardener, but I'm an avid flower gardener.

I'd love to see a picture!  So, does the solar cover keep it a lot warmer than the greenhouse itself would be?

Sigh... I would love to have one...

My grandmother had one right off the kitchen (ideal).  She used hers for propagating seedlings over the winter, starting vegetables in the spring, rooting cuttings throughout the summer, nursing dubious plants along out of sight, and keeping all her various pots and tools in a more-or-less tidy contained place.

I have a dear friend with an AMAZING garden (just perennial / flowering shrubs / trees; no vegetables) that is featured in garden magazines etc -- hers is standalone, towards the back of her yard.  She uses hers mostly for propagation and for bringing in things like rosemary, citrus trees etc that can stand being outside in the summer but aren't hardy.

Both of them were / are in Zone 7.  

If I had one, I would grow (not start) intensive tomatoes, keep salad greens going 12 months a year, and use it for propagation.  (My biggest garden problem is deer, though, so just having a protected indoor space would be... unbelievable!)  I'm in Zone 6.  If I could, I'd have it right off the kitchen -- easier to poke around for just a few minutes while the water is boiling etc.

Why would you grow tomatoes in it?  So you could have them year-round?  

That's something to think about.  The tomatoes we got in this area were a huge let down after living in NJ.  Keeping greens going is definitely one of the things I'd like to do.