Menu

Food dye allergies or why in the world is there red dye in my hand soap?

elegantlion

Ds has been having heat hives all winter. We've been addressing issues, and right now we're trying to eliminate food dyes as hives is an symptom of an allergy to those. We found most of it in his food, but I never thought to check the liquid hand soap. Ds is a fastidious hand washer, he could be a surgeon he's so thorough. This morning as I was changing bottles, I read the label.  :banghead:

So what other innocuous items have red or yellow dye? Would red clothing be an issue? His favorite colors to wear are red and orange. 

The hardest for us has been medications.  It is noted in his file at the pharmacy and all the pharmacists know DS.  It was really bad when he had surgery a few months ago.  He couldn't have the versed to relax him ahead of time because it had red dye.  It took them a long time to find a pain medication for him that didn't have red dye.  Antibiotics though are the worst.  There is only one that he can take.  He is not big enough for many of the adult pills yet, and almost all the children's antibiotics have food dye.

Other things that surprised me that they had red dye were white foods like cakes mixes, frosting, and other pre-made foods like crescent rolls.  We hardly ever buy processed foods anyway so that wasn't too bad.  We have found that when we want to buy candy for special occasions there are a few places online to shop and one store in town that carries a limited selection.

I just have to read all the labels very carefully every time, because they do change processing.  I was used to that anyway because DS also has a peanut allergy.

He has never had a problem with clothing causing a reaction.

We have a neighbor whose son has this issue. Every few months there is another FB post about the latest unexpected product reaction (hives all over). I was surprised by the marshmallows. Not the colored ones, just regular white marshmallows have dye in them.

I've been watching a House marathon on Netflix, so I feel like a diagnostician. Which means I will break the news to ds in House fashion. Son, you have a food dye allergy, which means you'll have to read labels for the rest of your life, avoid smores, and thank the team that you'll be able to take back over yard mowing duties once you quit washing your hands and hair in allergens. 

My son has a sensitivity to food dyes.  We need to stay away from all artificial dyes, including caramel coloring (in most breads).  Yes, white marshmallows have blue dye to make them look whiter.  I recently discovered that Florida oranges have dye added to make them look better depending on when in the season they were grown.  It is so frustrating.  My nut allergy girl is easier to shop for.

Ds has been having heat hives all winter. We've been addressing issues, and right now we're trying to eliminate food dyes as hives is an symptom of an allergy to those. We found most of it in his food, but I never thought to check the liquid hand soap. Ds is a fastidious hand washer, he could be a surgeon he's so thorough. This morning as I was changing bottles, I read the label.  :banghead:

So what other innocuous items have red or yellow dye? Would red clothing be an issue? His favorite colors to wear are red and orange. 

Sorry- EVERYTHING!!!!!!!  Every.dang.thing.

Check the ingredient list for literally everything you buy.  Soaps, shampoos, toothpaste, lotions, mouthwash, juice, ice cream, chicken tenders, brownies, biscuit dough, dish soap, lip balm, sunscreen, medicine, laundry soap, dryer sheets, sodas, salad dressing.

Don't know about clothing- but when SweetChild was having her worst problems with dye reactions, all she wanted to wear was blue jeans and white t-shirts.

The hardest for us has been medications.  It is noted in his file at the pharmacy and all the pharmacists know DS.  It was really bad when he had surgery a few months ago.  He couldn't have the versed to relax him ahead of time because it had red dye.  It took them a long time to find a pain medication for him that didn't have red dye.  Antibiotics though are the worst.  There is only one that he can take.  He is not big enough for many of the adult pills yet, and almost all the children's antibiotics have food dye.

Other things that surprised me that they had red dye were white foods like cakes mixes, frosting, and other pre-made foods like crescent rolls.  We hardly ever buy processed foods anyway so that wasn't too bad.  We have found that when we want to buy candy for special occasions there are a few places online to shop and one store in town that carries a limited selection.

I just have to read all the labels very carefully every time, because they do change processing.  I was used to that anyway because DS also has a peanut allergy.

He has never had a problem with clothing causing a reaction.

When he's old enough for adult doses of ibuprofen, CVS makes 200mg dye-free pills. SweetChild would not swallow pills, but I explained that she now needed an adult dose, sometimes doubled, so 1 $6 bottle of clear ibuprofen was the equivalent of about 14 cents worth of the bottle of pills from CVS.  But we still have to buy dye-free liquid benedryl, and always travel with it.

My son has a sensitivity to food dyes.  We need to stay away from all artificial dyes, including caramel coloring (in most breads).  Yes, white marshmallows have blue dye to make them look whiter.  I recently discovered that Florida oranges have dye added to make them look better depending on when in the season they were grown.  It is so frustrating.  My nut allergy girl is easier to shop for.

YES!  ORANGES!  I almost went on a rampage when I saw a piece of paper fall out of my bag of oranges stating that dye was added.  I actually called (distributor?  Don't remember) and found out it wasn't just sprayed on the skin, it was ADDED TO THE WATER SUPPLY TO COLOR THE ORANGES FROM THE INSIDE! :cursing:

Some store brands of marshmallows are OK.  Usually, marshmallow cream/fluff in a glass/clear container has blue dye, but not in an opaque container.

Minute Maid lemonade in a clear 2L bottle has dye, but not Minute Maid in the paper carton.

And I have actually sifted through the trash at birthday parties to find ingredient lists. :glare:  People don't understand, and can't imagine that certain foods could possibly contain dye.

It's maddening.  I hate grocery shopping sometimes. We also have a dairy allergy, a picky eater, and a low budget. :mad:  We can't always save money by going with the cheapest brand... and again,we have to read EVERY DANG LABEL!  EVERY TIME! 

Also, a warning: USUALLY the dye is one of the last 3 ingredients listed, so we read lables bottom-to-top....  but sometimes it;s hidden in the niddle if for example the breading is a separate ingredient list from the cheese, the sauce, and the chicken itself.

We may end up living on bacon and potato chips, which would suit him, I'm sure. 

Potato chips has food dyes too as well as MSG.  We go for the chips that says potatoes and salt only as ingredients. My boys don't get hives from food allergies but they get hyper so we avoid dyes.  Toothpaste is another thing that we check for dyes since they end up swallowing some.

Potato chips has food dyes too as well as MSG.  We go for the chips that says potatoes and salt only as ingredients. My boys don't get hives from food allergies but they get hyper so we avoid dyes.  Toothpaste is another thing that we check for dyes since they end up swallowing some.

The chips we buy have few ingredients, so we're safe there. Toothpaste has already been checked. 

Are there any other code words for dyes? I've checked most everything else for obvious, I will check his oranges though. We may end up living on bacon and potato chips, which would suit him, I'm sure. 

"color added"  can mean anything- from the natural spice Turmeric to boatloads of dyes.

We may end up living on bacon and potato chips, which would suit him, I'm sure. 

Mmmm, yum.  When you perfect this diet, let us all know!

We have gobs of food allergies, and dye is the newest addition.  The ingredients of commercial foods are simply baffling at times.  I can't believe the additions.  It is truly bizarre.

Read every label, every time.  It's our mantra.  

YES!  ORANGES!  I almost went on a rampage when I saw a piece of paper fall out of my bag of oranges stating that dye was added.  I actually called (distributor?  Don't remember) and found out it wasn't just sprayed on the skin, it was ADDED TO THE WATER SUPPLY TO COLOR THE ORANGES FROM THE INSIDE! :cursing:

California and Arizona banned adding food dye to their oranges so I buy the ones from those states.