Menu

Dairy Free Yogurt?

We only eat coconut milk yogurt. None of us like the almond or soy ones.

Eta: the So Delicious cultured coconut milk people now make an unsweetened, plain one that would work well in that situation, I think.

Doesn't this have a coconut taste, though? We tried so many dairy-free yogurts that they all run together in my head, but this one I think got the thumbs-down because of the distinct coconut taste.

If the yogurt is part of the marinade, and not the sauce, you might have wonky effects re: tenderizing the meat if you swap a dairy for a non-dairy product. 

The thought of adding any of the standard non-dairy yogurts is kind of icky to me, but we never really found a good yogurt replacement...UNTIL we started making cashew yogurt.

http://www.greenkitchenstories.com/raw-cashewgurt-bowl-news/

Probably several additional steps that you don't have time for, but this has been a decent yogurt substitute for our family. We actually culture this yogurt ourselves, using probiotics to get a fermentation going. It's awesome!

Doesn't this have a coconut taste, though? We tried so many dairy-free yogurts that they all run together in my head, but this one I think got the thumbs-down because of the distinct coconut taste.

If the yogurt is part of the marinade, and not the sauce, you might have wonky effects re: tenderizing the meat if you swap a dairy for a non-dairy product.

The thought of adding any of the standard non-dairy yogurts is kind of icky to me, but we never really found a good yogurt replacement...UNTIL we started making cashew yogurt.

http://www.greenkitchenstories.com/raw-cashewgurt-bowl-news/

Probably several additional steps that you don't have time for, but this has been a decent yogurt substitute for our family. We actually culture this yogurt ourselves, using probiotics to get a fermentation going. It's awesome!

It doesn't to us, but we've been eating it for so long we may not notice (we've been dairy free completely for four years, though dh and I off and on for a year or so before that).

Is the allergy ALL animal dairy, or only cow's milk?  Goat's milk yogurt is the only non-dairy yogurt that I can eat without shuddering.  I've tried them all, and the goat yogurt came the closest for me.  

He hasn't been brave enough to try goat milk products.  He is actually allergic, not lactose intolerant.  I love goat cheese.