Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW17

Robin M

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember Eddings differently (perhaps different things trigger our respective 'appropriateness' flags).  There weren't explicit sex scenes, but the guys eying (and patting/touching/talking suggestively about) women, and the stereotyped gender relations and issues flagged strongly for me.  (The suggestive dances of the slave women, the use of sex and sexual attraction to manipulate and control men, and the whole cutting the hearts out of living folks were also part of my decision not to share these with my younger teens.)

ymmv - and I know we each draw our lines in different places, but I wanted to share a different perspective.

Interesting!  Totally not my take on the guys. at. all.   A few flit in and out of the story, and the Cherek's are definitely Viking-ish but not at all offensive.  And if stereotypical gender roles means girls act like girls and guys act like guys (assuming that is what you mean here) then I'm all for that too.  Funny you should say that, though, considering Aunt Pol is NOT your stereotypical girl, IMO.  What a strong, determined woman with complex feelings, and she is central through every single book.  There is also Ce'Nedra who grows and matures in the books from a spoiled little girl to a strong young woman.  There are many lessons to be learned as she matures.  Possibly you could be referring to how King Anheg says his wife is unfit to rule but to counter that is the young queen of Drasnia whose husband not only entrusts her with the country while he is away but runs the spy network as well. She is strong, intelligent, and capable.  And Anheg's queen earns his respect and you see a change in that relationship as well later in the books.  It is so funny how different people interpret things different.  I don't see the slave women as "slaves" at all.  In fact they not only have control over their bodies and their relationships but the men as well.  The men in those relationships are the ones to be pitied.   :lol:  I will agree with you on the human sacrifices of the one race of people.  That said, though, it is looked upon as repugnant and wrong, and they are trying to stop it.  It is not glorified or encouraged.  

My filters are different for different genres.  Eddings is clearly fantasy.  There is no reality here.  I tend to have more leeway because my kids are really, really good at knowing that fantasy is just that.  Fantasy.  I believe that Pam said her dd had read Hunger Games and Divergent (I might be thinking of someone else though  ;) ) .  I think this is where you talk about all our lines being drawn in different areas.  My 13yo has read Hunger Games but I will not allow reading Divergent (though she saw the movie).  To me, laugh if you will, these are not fantasy.  This is real world, granted dystopian, environments that could possibly happen in worst case scenarios.  I do not want those things glorified and dd was enamoured enough with Dauntless just from the movie.  She does not need encouragement in wild, crazy, wreckless, behaviour.   :001_tt2:   Of course, I am the parent who refused to let my child watch Rugrats and other Nickolodeon shows because of nasty girls and rebellious, unrespectful attitudes but allowed her to watch Jurassic Park and Jaws.  :D  

You are right, though, about a different perspective being good.  It gives anyone on the fence more to go on.  That said, maybe 11 is too young.  Probably not for the first series The Belgariad but now that I think of it, maybe for the second series The Mallorean.  Did you read through them all?  Now I'm really wanting to reread them for myself so I can read with an eye to previewing.  Of course, if I start I will get drawn in and will not be able to stop!

None that I can think of, but it's been a while since I read them. I read the Rift War series, starting with Magician, then the series starting with Daughter of the Empire.

Ah, I remember the Daughter of the Empire trilogy much more than the Rift War series.  I wonder why that is.  The Daughter of the Empire trilogy is definitely not 11yo friendly.  They are adult books.  I wish I could remember more of the other series.  

I censor for a bit longer, but I've also found that each kid has been so different that blanket guidelines have been hard to define.

Some authors/titles many of my daughters have loved at ~11 (if you want more information, or have any specific content concerns, let me know (and I own all these so if you want excerpts I could type some up))

Robin McKinley: McKInley has done a number of fairy tale retellings (Beauty and Spindle's End are my favorites) and two books in her "Damar" world (The Blue Sword and Hero and the Crown) the latter has a (non-explicit) adult issue near the end, but, imho, it is handle tastefully and unobtrusively.  She has many more, but those are our favorites.

Patricia Wrede: In addition to the Dragon chronicles, Wrede co-authored the delightful magical Regency epistolary novel Sorcery and Cecilia and its sequels (the second book has some, very brief, not eplicit, references to wedding night intimacy) .  Her Lyra novels are also fun (but one of them, as I recall, has some passing references that one might want to screen for), Snow White and Rose Red and The Seven Towers were also popular.. ooh, and the (newly renamed) Matter of Magic (some passing adult references)

the Ranger's Apprentice series have been well loved by my 12 year old twins.

Jewish Historical Fiction not from a Jewish publisher:

Nothing Here but Stones

The War Within

Pickpocket's Tale

Out of many Waters

Hebrew Kid & the Apache Maiden

Dog of Knots

Bridge to America

Sorry, I meant for this to be more organized and annotated.  I've tried to focus on lesser known authors/titles...

Oh, so much good stuff here!

I censor longer too!  Older dd till 17.  We will see where younger dd goes, it might be different for her.  She handles things differently.

Older dd loved Robin McKinley's Beauty!  I got the recommendation here, actually, a couple years ago.  I will have to tell her about the others you mentioned.

I had no idea that Patricia Wrede wrote so many other books.  Those will be going on my tbr list soon!  Her Enchanted Forest Chronicles were witty, and well, enchanting  :D

Older dd has a couple friends who loved the Ranger's Apprentice books.  I just gave the first one to my nephew to read, though I haven't read them myself.

And I will have to look into your list of Jewish historical fiction for my history loving nephew.  

I'm still waiting on a few more, and would love to hear any suggestions you have!!

The one we used this year would meet your criteria for addressing contemporary issues. And its lens is Sufi so probably not for traditionalists. Pretty bare bones. And no illustrations but I'm happy to send you a copy if you like.

That's called Cracker Jack here.  And this being America, we prefer ours with HFCS, thank you very much.  So they can have a shelf life of, you know, 15 or more years, just like Twinkies.  Brown sugar, golden syrup and butter-- that's for tree hugging, whole food, granola eatin' pansies...

Dumb question but Google took me to a company,  HFCS is high fructose corn syrup ie Karo Syrup right?  When we moved here having no access to Karo Syrup was a pain.  Things didn't taste right with my substitutes (usually golden syrup) now that I actually own a bottle of it everyone comments unfavourably if I use it. Can't win.

I can't even get past the title of the book. Just the thought of shark fin soup is enough to boil my blood. So, I don't fancy I'll ever even pick this book up off a shelf.

Assuming your talking about the environmental impact and waste involved in the banquet culture, that's actually a big part of the third section. (If you just mean certain regions completely omnivorous eating practices....yeah...not the book for you.)

Dunlop goes from a poorer, local-ingredient street food culture in Sichuan, where she learns to be open to eating almost anything, to becoming a known cookbook author who has to attend banquets (shark fin is so fancy it would only be served at a banquet). The third act is definitely her confronting her guilt about the environmental impact of these banquets, China's new nouveau riche, and the impact on the environment. 

Not to spoil anything, but I think the complexities of host/guest politeness and Dunlop's own environmental beliefs are probably the reason why she stopped doing Chinese regional cookbooks.  

The one we used this year would meet your criteria for addressing contemporary issues. And its lens is Sufi so probably not for traditionalists. Pretty bare bones. And no illustrations but I'm happy to send you a copy if you like.

I'd be fascinated to see a Sufi-focused haggadah!!  Is it privately printed, or can you link me?

Dumb question but Google took me to a company,  HFCS is high fructose corn syrup ie Karo Syrup right?  When we moved here having no access to Karo Syrup was a pain.  Things didn't taste right with my substitutes (usually golden syrup) now that I actually own a bottle of it everyone comments unfavourably if I use it. Can't win.

Ah, this points to a serious difference between junk food here vs. junk food everywhere else... as far as I know, high fructose corn syrup is uniquely ours... it is *not* the same thing as Karo syrup -- it is synthesized through a different process, and for a variety of import protection and other reasons is much cheaper and therefore much more prevalent here than sugar; and there is rampant debate here about associated long term health concerns.  

I had a horrific day yesterday so I went to Barnes and Noble to roll around in books. Okay, so I didn't literally roll but I did come out with The Night Circus, Neil Gaiman's American Gods, Rebecca Skloot's The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, and Sarah Dunnant's Blood and Beauty. Pretty much because it was the only other one on the buy two get the third free table that looked interesting. Now to slog through the Nora Roberts that I have been avoiding so I can start The Night Circus! 

So if I want to do the book/goody exchange are there any rules about the kinds of books...like do they have to be new or like new or are used ok?  i want to participate but I am thinking about what kind of books I would want to include :)

I was assuming used books are ok. (In fact, I would assume that almost any BaWer who went out & got a new book to send somewhere else might just take a peek inside first, then start reading... and then, you know, the whole book would be read anyway before it was tucked into the package. ;) :lol: )

Anyway, I'd be happy to receive (almost) anything -- used books or chocolates or postcards or a mancandy librarian or.... ;)

I'd be fascinated to see a Sufi-focused haggadah!!  Is it privately printed, or can you link me?

It's privately printed. If you're interested I can see about getting you a copy.

I had a horrific day yesterday so I went to Barnes and Noble to roll around in books. Okay, so I didn't literally roll but I did come out with The Night Circus, Neil Gaiman's American Gods, Rebecca Skloot's The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, and Sarah Dunnant's Blood and Beauty. Pretty much because it was the only other one on the buy two get the third free table that looked interesting. Now to slog through the Nora Roberts that I have been avoiding so I can start The Night Circus! 

:grouphug:  And welcome aboard The Night Circus train.

This morning I finally finished The Midwife of Venice by Roberta Rich. It was enjoyable, undemanding, a good story. Interestingly at the end of the book the author described how the book came about. It was quite serendipitous which I find rather fascinating wrt the artistic process. From the tiny seeds of her awareness and noticing an entire world springs up...

I first came upon the idea of writing about Hannah as I was wandering though Venice. I ended my walk having a correcto and hamantaschen cookies in the Jewish Ghetto Nuevo in Cannaregio. I was struck by how closely this small island resembled a movie set, with its open square, only a wellhead to break the expanse, and narrow, knife-sharp buildings enclosing the campo on three sides.

In the 1500s, as more and more Jews arrived from northern Europe, Spain, and Portugal, the tiny apartments shrank even more as they were partitioned into cramped living quarters, rather like a cake sliced into small and smaller pieces as unexpected guests arrive. Floors were added, and eventually the city government permitted the Jews to expand to two additional islands, Ghetto Vecchio and Ghetto Novissimo.

In trying to imagine what day-to-day life must have been like, I thought of women raising large families in overcrowded conditions. This led to thoughts of midwifery and from there, to the notion of birthing spoons. I then had to imagine how these birthing spoons would be used and who would be wielding them. And so the idea of The Midwife of Venice was born.

Did such a midwife exist? I like to think so, although in my research I never came across a reference to such a woman. This is no doubt because the history of women, their fortitude and accomplishments, is written in water.

And this morning I got a couple of library notices letting me know that another ebook I requested was available for pick-up, Still Life with Breadcrumbs by Anna Quindlen as well as all three (!) Helen Dunmore books, thank you, Pam :coolgleamA: That's a lotta books as well as the one I'm itching to read, The Virgin Cure which will have to wait as it's a hardcopy book and thus I have some leeway with the amount of time it's checked out. Today I will embark on The Night Circus!

Looking forward to seeing whether the you in this universe likes it or whether it will be a you in a parallel universe that likes it.

:laugh:

:lol: :lol:

Yes, I'm curious to know which me likes it. Because I've already decided that one of the many mes that participates in various parallel universes is going to be amenable to this book, it just might not be the Shukriyya BaW manifestation :smilielol5: And I have to say that with this perspective in mind I have a lovely feeling of spaciousness at the prospect of this read...not having to identify with one narrow aspect of the self but instead being able to tune into the array of parallel ones...kind of like Princess Langwidere in Ozma of Oz who has 30 heads that she uses as she sees fit depending on her mood of the day...

Ds has just informed me that her temper is hidden in the hair of each head and it varies depending on which head has been chosen...cue the Twilight music as I get ready to join The Night Circus...

I appreciate how you've enabled my next bookstore trip. As long as I get fewer books than you, I don't have a problem, right? Like not being the first one to get smashed at the party.

Ds has just informed me that her temper is hidden in the hair of each head and it varies depending on which head has been chosen...cue the Twilight music as I get ready to join The Night Circus...

Back when dh and I were being forced to read pretty much every Baum Oz book to Great Girl, we couldn't help noticing a weird decapitation theme throughout. The Tin Woodsman gets it started, and then it pops up in just about every book.

Back when dh and I were being forced to read pretty much every Baum Oz book to Great Girl, we couldn't help noticing a weird decapitation theme throughout. The Tin Woodsman gets it started, and then it pops up in just about every book.

Glad to see the Baum distinction being applied here given the various subsequent authors of that world. I'll have to ask ds about the peculiar decapitation theme you observed. Like your Great Girl he's read them all.

I finally dove into The Name of the Rose and can see what I'll be reading for the rest of the month. With a dictionary by my side.   Just had to share this:

And beneath the feet of the ancients, and arched over them and over the throne and over the tetramorphic group, arranged in symmetrical bands, barely distinguishable one from another because the artist's skill had made them all so mutually proportionate, united in their variety and varied in their unity, so unique in their diversity and diverse in their apt assembly, in wondrous congruency of the parts with the delightful sweetness of hues, miracle of consonance and concord of voices among themselves dissimilar, a company arrayed like the strings of the zither, consentient and conspiring continued cognition through deep and interior force suited to perform univocally in the same alternating play of the equivocal, decoration and collage of creatures beyond reduction to vicissitudes and to vicissitudes reduced, work of amours connecting sustained by a law at once heavenly and world (bond and stable nexus of peace, love, virtue, regimen, power, order, origin, life, light, splendor, species, and figure), numerous and resplendent equality through the shining of the form over the proportionate parts of the material----there, all the flowers and leaves and vines and bushes and corymbs were entwined, of all the grasses that adorn the gardens of earth and heaven, violet, cystus, thyme, lily, privet, narcissus, taro, acanthus, mallow, myrrh, and Mecca balsam.

:gnorsi:

Costner then same as he is in every movie. Even Dennis Hopper was pretty pitiful. But that clip is an aw jeez moment. That is how my dad and I danced when I was a little girl. So much fun and fond memories of him and my mom dancing around the living room. Thanks!

I finally dove into The Name of the Rose and can see what I'll be reading for the rest of the month. With a dictionary by my side.   Just had to share this:

And beneath the feet of the ancients, and arched over them and over the throne and over the tetramorphic group, arranged in symmetrical bands, barely distinguishable one from another because the artist's skill had made them all so mutually proportionate, united in their variety and varied in their unity, so unique in their diversity and diverse in their apt assembly, in wondrous congruency of the parts with the delightful sweetness of hues, miracle of consonance and concord of voices among themselves dissimilar, a company arrayed like the strings of the zither, consentient and conspiring continued cognition through deep and interior force suited to perform univocally in the same alternating play of the equivocal, decoration and collage of creatures beyond reduction to vicissitudes and to vicissitudes reduced, work of amours connecting sustained by a law at once heavenly and world (bond and stable nexus of peace, love, virtue, regimen, power, order, origin, life, light, splendor, species, and figure), numerous and resplendent equality through the shining of the form over the proportionate parts of the material----there, all the flowers and leaves and vines and bushes and corymbs were entwined, of all the grasses that adorn the gardens of earth and heaven, violet, cystus, thyme, lily, privet, narcissus, taro, acanthus, mallow, myrrh, and Mecca balsam.

:gnorsi:

For me, it was worth the effort. I hope it will be for you to.

Tiny libraries & other funky, fun, book-related stuff:

http://unconsumption.tumblr.com/tagged/library

I clicked on this link and actually started dreaming of my own tiny free library for about 15 minutes during my early morning insomniac hours. ;) Probably would solve many of my planning disagreements with a much less time consuming role.  :lol: 

Shukriyya, Three wild mallard ducks begging at the neighbour's door kept me up from 5:30 on.  They are hilarious but pests and incredibly loud when sleep is an issue.  Supposedly they only live in our yards for six weeks or so every spring.  Not expecting ducklings this year because their eggs are all over the place including on people's roofs.  The three stooges of the duck world. :lol:

Loved the link Stacia.  Can't wait to see the film. One of my weekend plans is to find my copy of No Way Out.  I think Dh put it in the garage with the other DVD's he didn't plan to watch soon. :lol: Not as big an insult as it sounds,  The garage is our version of the basements we grew up with, rows of storage shelves.  Clear plastic bins.....love it.

Finished Hard Bitten by Chloe Neill during this morning.  Totally upset at the ending of that one, in a sad way.  Didn't see it coming.  I loved the character that was killed off and anticipated much in the future.  I will get the next one when the pile allows so not quitting, just no room on my ebook holds list!

I also read the first few pages in Night Circus.  Beautifully written.  Rather lyrical.  Looking forward to it but need to get through my paper books today if time allows.

I finished the Language of Baklava and loved it all the way to the end.  Then I decided to torture myself and start Herodotus's Histories late at night when I was exhausted.  I was pleasantly surprised and it doesn't seem like torture.  I took the Coursera class "The Greeks" (or some title like that) last fall and I think knowing what a tyrant once meant and so forth is part of the reason I'm pleasantly surprised.  I think I would be scratching my head otherwise.

I clicked on this link and actually started dreaming of my own tiny free library for about 15 minutes during my early morning insomniac hours. ;) Probably would solve many of my planning disagreements with a much less time consuming role. :lol:

Shukriyya, Three wild mallard ducks begging at the neighbour's door kept me up from 5:30 on. They are hilarious but pests and incredibly loud when sleep is an issue. Supposedly they only live in our yards for six weeks or so every spring. Not expecting ducklings this year because their eggs are all over the place including on people's roofs. The three stooges of the duck world. :lol:

I also read the first few pages in Night Circus. Beautifully written. Rather lyrical. Looking forward to it but need to get through my paper books today if time allows.

First off, :grouphug: for the sleep issues. But the duck description... :lol: we had a similar situation when we lived in Hawaii. Two ducks in particular whom we named The Fighting Illini as it was March Madness (college basketball tourney) and dh gets a little silly mascot-wise. Anyway those two goofball ducks would show up daily, climbing the few stairs to our deck-kitchen-living room which was open on three sides. We were living in the jungle so very little barriers between inside and outside. They'd just wander around hoping for food and harassing each other. Then they'd get bored and waddle back down the stairs off in search of other adventures on the land. They didn't wake us up but let's just say I was hosing down the floor daily.

As to The Night Circus I'm about 10% in and I'm enjoying it! I'm typing from my iPad or I'd insert a bunch of smileys here. :D you're a fairly speedy reader and I'm a bit of a plodder so I imagine we'll be reading it in tandem pretty soon. Fun!

I'm not quite half through The Night Circus and I started it this morning. I paused to finish school that we didn't get to yesterday because I was on the phone non-stop with foster business. I'm really enjoying this one! In fact, I'm going to pick it back up again in a few minutes now that I sent the big kids outside to play after school. Such a fun story.

Does calling it toffee popcorn make it more appealing?  That's what I call it here.  Brown sugar, golden syrup, and butter boiled then baked on popcorn at a low temperature to make it crispy, yummy.

Toffee popcorn is *nothing* like the candy corn I met.

Toffee popcorn is *nothing* like the candy corn I met.

:lol: Sorry, I completely misread,  thought you were referring to the caramel popcorn.  People seem to be happier when I call it toffee, felt obligated to explain.

Hello my friends! Just a quick wave from Jane who is nicely tucked in bed and ready for sweet dreams. My internet access has been spotty as I have spent much of this past week on adventures.

I met some remarkable people this week including a 70 year old woman who noted, "When you say 'yes' to life, things happen."

Yes.

Hello my friends! Just a quick wave from Jane who is nicely tucked in bed and ready for sweet dreams. My internet access has been spotty as I have spent much of this past week on adventures.

I met some remarkable people this week including a 70 year old woman who noted, "When you say 'yes' to life, things happen."

Yes.

Yes!

How wonderful. Hope you'll share more about your adventures later!

I swear Eco writes for his own amusement. I think he's interesting, but I can't take his fiction too seriously. He's so wrapped up in amusing himself. 

Now I'll be wondering half the night about the historical implications of those plants in the Medieval world, particularly the Crusades....Mecca balsam, indeed. 

It's fun to see everyone reading The Night Circus. I read it a year or two ago and I really enjoyed it. I have it loaned out to someone right now. 

Finished The Critique of Criminal Reason, a rather dark mystery which is set in early 19th century Konigsberg and uses Immanuel Kant as a sort of father of logical investigation (including criminal psychology and forensics). Great premise. I was really looking forward to it. It's near the end of Kant's life, so he's not in it as much as I anticipated. :glare:  I think the authors (Michael Gregorio which is the pen name of a husband and wife who teach university in Italy...him English, her Philosophy) are going more for atmosphere than for plot...although don't get me wrong, a lot happens. I do like the little historical details, the Napoleonic hysteria, but mostly it's a bit darker than I like my mysteries. I would be willing to try another by these authors but I'm nonplussed with this one. 

I did get to read Daniel Pinkwater write about travelling by train, old Hollywood, ghost bellboys, shaman, sacred turtles, the military school, and the LaBrea tar pits though, so it's all good. He's so amusing. 

Yes.

Nice to have you back, Jane. You've been missed.

Welcome back Jane!!!!!  Glad your adventures were good ones.  Can't wait to hear about them,  or should I say read.

Candy Corn is an odd thing for me.  I am rather ambivalent about eating it but have a deep need to have a bowl of it sitting around the house from Halloween through December.  Childhood memory and the lack of being able to do that my first year in England one one of my huge triggers to significant homesickness.  My mom keeps a crystal candy dish filled with it each fall.  To be honest the only person who ever seriously ate more than a piece or two was my fil (yes married to my childhood neighbour) who loved anything with sugar.  As soon as I had kids started making my version of these http://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http://www.food.com/recipe/oreo-cookie-turkeys-142998&sa=U&ei=GrdcU4HwJcrAPMWWgWA&ved=0CEoQFjAG&usg=AFQjCNHSr3wTzYidv0MmMjjy5SPC1QG_Kw and still do with groups of home ed littles every fall.  Fun easy project. I order candy corn trick or treat packs from Amazon,  fill a bowl at home and have plenty to take to my American Thanksgiving craft session, a friend and I do our best to explain it every year to some group.  We start with the religious part and somehow always end up derailed by football(US version) and parades.  Please note: I replace the peanut butter cup with a rice crispy treat ball and use chocolate digestive.

Another odd Candy Corn comment is apparently candy corn is one of the things most commonly sent to missionaries by their denominations in the fall.  Must be a trigger for many.......

I finished Black Roses and enjoyed it.  Fascinating and much of it is accurate historically.  A quarter of the way through Winter Garden so should manage to return it tomorrow.  During the night I read Night Circus up to the 10% point and went back to sleep. Enjoying it.