Menu

Financial Aid notification for returning students

elegantlion

I'm shaking I'm so upset.... so I need to know if this is standard anywhere. I'll be a second year student at my university and was under the impression financial aid would be available this week, like today. I logged onto my student account and found I had been awarded two items but there was no grant or loan information -which I need in order to afford school, even with the other awards.. 

So, I called financial aid and the young girl who answered told me those awards don't get allocated until June or July. June or July! Last year I applied in late June and my award letter came shortly after that, so no experience with regular aid cut off dates. 

She said this was standard practice for returning students and if nothing had changed my loans and grants should be the same. However, I can't wait until June or July to verify that and I can't just assume they will be. I shot off a nice but firm email  to financial aid asking to verify if this was standard and explaining that as a single parent non-traditional student, I can't wait until July to know whether I'll be able to afford school next year. 

Honestly, I've been waiting to start applying for summer jobs trying to determine if I can take a minimum wage get by job in my small town (think walmart) for the summer or would need to look for full time permanent employment (which would necessitate me working out of town - 30 to 45 min commute, probably for better pay). 

I've had enough uncertainty in the last year, I really didn't want to wait until mid-summer to know my mid-August plans. 

Do other schools do this? Or are your returning students notified of their loan/grant status before the end of the spring term? 

June/July has been common here too.  Sorry!  But if the school is telling you it should be the same, they're probably correct, so there's hope.

I gave up on hope a long time ago, I work better with verification. Sorry, I'm just truly ticked as I was led to believe one thing based upon their bright new gleaming website. Apparently that's only to the incoming students, which it never said. Nice. *sarcasm* 

I'm glad you brought this up.  I had been waiting to hear on my oldest's aid package.  We will have 2 in college next year so our situation is significantly different from previous years.  Based upon the aid my younger son was offered, I am sorely disappointed and am very worried about affording next year. 

*passes tissues and antacid tablets*

If your financial situation is basically the same as for this last year, you can probably expect the same aid.  I know some private 4-years are notorious for offering better aid the first year and then cutting back significantly in later years, but I've never heard of community colleges/state universities doing this (it may happen, but I think it's more of a set formula).  I would check into departmental scholarships, foundation scholarships, etc. as well to help.

:grouphug:

I understand your frustration, but I will say it is quite standard. Is your school local or online? If it is local maybe you could set up a time to talk to a staff person in financial aid (not a student who answers the phone but a staff person). I believe they will put your mind at ease and they maybe they can also help you find out if there are an additional scholarships for returning students that you can apply for. The vast majority of schools if your income and circumstances are about the same as the last year your aid should be too. Schools want to retain students.

Thank you all. My school is 30 mins away, not local to me. I sent them an email asking. Part of the issue is I had to take out max loans last year and was hoping to not do that next year. They do have I am getting two awards, one departmental, one from the state, but without the other numbers, I cannot make a good judgment on what is the best course of action for me and I would need full loans if I'm only getting a Pell grant. I realize in the scope of life this isn't a huge issue, except I've had way too much uncertainty in my life, waiting in limbo for what seems like the last few years. My entire sanity hangs by a tiny thread due to other life situations.

I also can't just assume it will be the same, and honestly, I'm not sure taking max loans is the best course of action for an education at my age. Last year it fit because that was the best course of action. Because I'm on a  4.5 to 5 year graduation plan, I'm not sure 40-50k in loans is what I'm willing to do. 

Today, I'm going to finish the wine I opened yesterday, let ds sleep in some more, watch a Kurosawa film for school, and help him finish a writing project. 

I could most likely get a better job outside my city with a commute, but not the kind of job that would be temporary. A temporary job would pay less and not allow to do more than survive and I wanted to know a direction to head - because if I'm not returning to school 2 more months at a better job would put in a better position to afford those student loan payments. 

I hate bureaucracy and systems that seem to leave everyone in limbo until the last minute. It snowed yesterday, I hate snow, and my "very good" condition book from Amazon arrived in water damaged and mildewy condition. At least amazon is giving me my money back. At least I mailed the taxes last week. What a crappy week, I'm about done. 

ETA: I just figured out aid with the awards and a Pell grant - it just barely covers tuition and books. Honestly, I think I was expecting more than simply tuition covered. So all my living and traveling expenses would be in loans, which might depend on the interest rate if it's a good investment. It was 3.86% last year, which I was willing to risk since I can't borrow money at that interest rate elsewhere due to other issues. At 6.8% or more (which was the projection) it becomes a riskier enterprise. At least my wine is cheap, $3.97/ bottle. 

:grouphug:   Have you checked to see if there are any state or local aid programs for women who want to further their education to get a better job?  Some states or counties have these programs.   Is there an organization at your university specifically for women returning later in life?  They may have a way to help financially or at least be able to direct you to some programs. 

Another thought is to call or go to career services at the university and ask them for help.  Maybe they know of some employers who have tuition reimbursement, or know of some who hire for the summer and pay better than minimum.  Or something.

I'm so sorry you're hurting.  Living with so much uncertainty is difficult.   :grouphug:

I heard back and they indicated late May, early June is a better time frame. I did ask about other available grants as another 9.5k in loans for next year was not what I had wanted to do. 

There are no organizations specific to my university. I had looked around last year within our area and didn't come up with much. 

For my daughter returning to college, we were told that they won't even be looking at her financial circumstances until the summer.  Sorry you can't hear earlier.  :(

There are so many decisions I need to make about my future that hinge upon knowing the numbers. I talked with my advisor and lined out an option or two, creating a whole new trail of decisions to make that won't end until the end of the fall term. Right now it's just a whole lot of "Ifs"

I realize this is all part of the process, but it really seems like bad business to leave kids hanging even after school is out- realizing this is the federal level I'm looking at. Not everyone has the option of just blindly accepting the aid and moving forward to the next year. 

I'm going to vote for "your school is running a mickey mouse operation in their financial aid dept." ASU is one of the largest universities in the country. If they can sort it quickly, others should be able to as well. :b

My dd is finishing up her freshman year.  I can't remember when she got her award last year, May perhaps?  My husband spoke to the FA office two days ago. He was told returning students won't get their award until June or July also.  This is a very large state university.  It'll kill me to wait, I'm sure.

:grouphug: :grouphug:

My dd is finishing up her freshman year.  I can't remember when she got her award last year, May perhaps?  My husband spoke to the FA office two days ago. He was told returning students won't get their award until June or July also.  This is a very large state university.  It'll kill me to wait, I'm sure.

:grouphug: :grouphug:

UGH, I'll pass along the antacids and the magic wand.  :grouphug:

I actually wish there was a law that required colleges to release financial aid awards to returning students at the same time as new, prospective students. I suspect they do the mid-summer thing because it prevents students from realizing sooner that they cannot afford to come back, and transfer to another college. I think their retention rates would be lower. It forces students to take out far more loans than they'd like because they feel trapped...it's too late to go anywhere else and their other student loans will no longer be deferred if they drop out so they sign up for more loans.

This gives me an excellent idea. I'm going to write to my state representative and suggest legislation be proposed in Michigan to force schools to release financial information by May 1st so returning students have more time to make decisions. I have no idea if he'll listen, but he's a pretty decent guy and has advocated in the education arena, on behalf of students more than any other issue, several times. He seems to care. It will make me feel better to at least write the letter and make the call.

Hugs to all of you! The waiting is just nerve wrecking.

I actually wish there was a law that required colleges to release financial aid awards to returning students at the same time as new, prospective students. I suspect they do the mid-summer thing because it prevents students from realizing sooner that they cannot afford to come back, and transfer to another college. I think their retention rates would be lower. It forces students to take out far more loans than they'd like because they feel trapped...it's too late to go anywhere else and their other student loans will no longer be deferred if they drop out so they sign up for more loans.

This gives me an excellent idea. I'm going to write to my state representative and suggest legislation be proposed in Michigan to force schools to release financial information by May 1st so returning students have more time to make decisions. I have no idea if he'll listen, but he's a pretty decent guy and has advocated in the education arena, on behalf of students more than any other issue, several times. He seems to care. It will make me feel better to at least write the letter and make the call.

Hugs to all of you! The waiting is just nerve wrecking.

Okay,  I know I'm one case, and hopefully I really won't lose all my sanity while waiting, but you're right. Because of my situation, I may qualify for an additional grant, but as I don't know, and we won't know the interest rate until July. I'm in stuck position. This may be something that more people will demand to be changed at some level. 

As more non-traditional students enter college or more people are truly questioning the loans, it may be a shift. I assume in the past, the whole college career was a 4 year commitment up front. I see advising my son differently than I would advise myself. I told my advisor that the options I lined out, just in case,  relegate my college experience to job training, not educational experience. I had hoped to do both. I know in my college the job training programs seem to be overpowering the liberal arts. My school draws students mostly from the local area who need the training as the economy is pretty stagnant in the area.  The ancient humanities class that is supposed to be offered every semester hasn't been offered in the last 3 terms, I assume there is no money or no teacher for it. 

I never expected my whole experience to be free - I do expect some loans, but I had expected more as the sentiment seems to be about helping people exactly in my situation, so I don't have to work minimum wage jobs. But I wanted more than simply to be trained for the next level of "jobs", I wanted to be able to have a career somewhat of my choosing. Sorry, I'm taking sociology this semester and it's not helping my tilting-cynical attitude.