Menu

What to wear Sailing - US Virgin Islands

jen3kids

I'm going on a 8 day sailing trip with my son's boy scout troop in late June/early July.  The one person who has been sailing before has said all we need is a bathing suit, rash guard, and lightweight pants.   A change of clothes for each day won't be necessary because we'll spend our days in the water - snorkeling, kayaking, and swimming, as well as short inland hikes and some beach time.

Does this sound reasonable?  

TIA, from a total land-lubber :)

Dh and I used to sail in our pre-children days. I took the following for multi day jaunts:

A couple of pairs of capri pants, pair of shorts (my thighs burn easily and the spray of the water means CONSTANTLY re-applying sunscreen so I tended to cover)

Rash Guard and bikini top

Board shorts

Couple of tops that work with the capri pants and shorts

Windbreaker

Rain coat and pants...having been deluged at sea more than once, I learned NOT to leave home without it.

Scarves which look classy and make a nice shade for the top of your head and feet

Sandals

Swim shoes

Tons of lip balm

Lots of sunscreen

High quality conditioner for hair, or the leave in kind by Infusium because between the salt and minerals as well as the sun, the hair took a beating

Ponytail holders when I had longer hair

Rolled and packed efficiently, it will all fit in a small duffle, and you'll want that duffle to be water proof...maybe even spray it with waterproofing for good measure!

I'm going on a 8 day sailing trip with my son's boy scout troop in late June/early July. The one person who has been sailing before has said all we need is a bathing suit, rash guard, and lightweight pants. A change of clothes for each day won't be necessary because we'll spend our days in the water - snorkeling, kayaking, and swimming, as well as short inland hikes and some beach time.

Not for anything, but the person you know who has been sailing in the past probably hasn't sailed very often if that's all she thinks you need to bring with you. ;)

Where are you sailing?  I have sailed on Lake Michigan in August and needed to wear wool socks at night! 

Water and wind can make a chilly combination.  Sailing from Cape Cod, I often bring a fleece jacket for time when we are away from land.

When anchored, yes to the bathing suit and coverup.  Will you go out for any meals? These could be casual but you might want a cute dress or skirt if eating dinner out.

I'm going on a 8 day sailing trip with my son's boy scout troop in late June/early July.  The one person who has been sailing before has said all we need is a bathing suit, rash guard, and lightweight pants.   A change of clothes for each day won't be necessary because we'll spend our days in the water - snorkeling, kayaking, and swimming, as well as short inland hikes and some beach time.

Scout mom here.  I"m guessing the "one person" is of the male persuasion?  The Boy Scouts on the trip will wear a bathing suit and rash guard; the same ones the entire week.  They will throw on the pants on top in the evening if it gets cold.  They will not bathe, on the theory that getting wet in any way counts as bathing. 

Just a guess, but you may not share the same philosophies regarding clothing and bathing.  Think your trip through accordingly.  I would want to have at least two sets of mix-and-match bathing suit tops and bottoms (so you never have to put on a wet one), rash guard (ideally one that can pass as a regular t-shirt), sarong (for sun protection and modesty and being able to dress up your look a bit), and a set of "real clothes".  As PP's have mentioned, think wet, think cold, think sun, think hot.  

Look at the "active lifestyle" catalogs - Title Nine, for example, or REI on the more functional, less fashionable side - to get ideas, though you needn't actually buy from them.

Most scout trips that I am familiar with have packing lists. You could start by adopting the boys list for yourself. Check for any size limitations for duffles/bags.

In most cases some kind of foul weather gear is a plus. Also non skid shoes for the boat deck. Remember the sun will beat on your head, shoulders and thighs if you are sitting. Sometimes the sides of the boat that you are sitting on can be painted with a rough paint compound that can leave some bathing suit fabrics pilled. (I sm talking about a smaller boat here, not one with deck chairs, obviously.) Space can be cramped on a small boat, so consider that when choosing fabrics.

Ask for advice about cotton vs no cotton for your climate. It is sturdy but will not dry in wet weather. Personally I like lighter synthetics, with some fleece for cold.

Oh, besides cold, rain and sun protection, ask re biting insects for when you are on land and get something that covers if need be.

And since you are with a bunch of scouts, perhaps a Christian bathing suit? Well, I know bathing suits don't have religious beliefs, but modest might be good. ;-)

You might want to ask on the big scout thread. I think Margaret in CO had sons who did scout saling trip, Catalina Island.

Dh and I used to sail in our pre-children days. I took the following for multi day jaunts:

A couple of pairs of capri pants, pair of shorts (my thighs burn easily and the spray of the water means CONSTANTLY re-applying sunscreen so I tended to cover)

Rash Guard and bikini top

Board shorts

Couple of tops that work with the capri pants and shorts

Windbreaker

Rain coat and pants...having been deluged at sea more than once, I learned NOT to leave home without it.

Scarves which look classy and make a nice shade for the top of your head and feet

Sandals

Swim shoes

Tons of lip balm

Lots of sunscreen

High quality conditioner for hair, or the leave in kind by Infusium because between the salt and minerals as well as the sun, the hair took a beating

Ponytail holders when I had longer hair

Rolled and packed efficiently, it will all fit in a small duffle, and you'll want that duffle to be water proof...maybe even spray it with waterproofing for good measure!

I agree and would add that capris that roll down to pants are a bonus if you get a breezy day but like to stay in the sun.  I pick light weight, quick dry performance fabrics.  I also like to splash a bit of water on them and take them out in the sun, to see how it affects the fabric.  Even light tan fabrics can get see through so put a ball inside the fabric and step back to see if you can tell the color of the ball through the fabric. 

Rash guards are really great if you end up liking to snorkel.  They really are great to help prevent sunburn on the back.

Again, make sure the shirts do not get see through when wet. My favorite is a tank, with a button up performance shirt that has the roll up sleeves and offers SPF protection.  One exterior shirt will do for the trip, if you wear a layer against your skin like a tank or T to absorb sweat.

A simple pair of quality light weight rain gear that pack tight in a bag are really nice to have and store away easily. Costco sells one sometimes.

A hat.  Sunburn on the top of the head is no fun.   A brimmed hat with a string under the chin is ideal (it protects your neck somewhat as well) or a ball cap that you can secure with your pony tail.  Cloth head bands can be nice to secure you hair under the hat as well.

I prefer swim shoes to sandals, as more of a multipurpose shoe. I would also want a pair of grippy deck shoes.  Luckily shoes like Sperrys are getting popular again so you can find them pretty easily, and you can wear them again after wards.

Lipbalm with sunscreen!

I like a windbreaker with drawstrings to cinch it down if it gets really windy.  Elastic or Velcro wrists, cinch waist, cinch hood, a wind flap over the zipper is wonderful.

I hate to be cold, so one microfleece layer would be important to me also.  Something about a fuzzy fabric, helps me feel warmer than a smooth one.

Thank you everyone.

We are going to the US Virgin Islands (I edited the title)

I do have a....

tankini and board shorts

hat with a wide brim

sunglasses

rain jacket

lightweight fleece

lightweight pants that roll up to capris

I need....

thingy to hold sunglasses on

long-sleeved SPF shirt

rash guard for snorkeling

water shoes (maybe, if I can find a cheap pair, because I prefer sandals)

We are trying to pack everything in a small duffel bag.  There will be 12 of us on a catamaran, so space will be at a premium.

I will take a look at REI and titlenine.com (which has some amazingly cute stuff) , as well as some alternatives at Target and other less expensive places! 

You need good deck shoes, a good quick-dry windbreaker and eye protection (think polarized sunglasses - GOOD ones).

I recommend function over fashion. If you need to go in a shopping trip, stop in at Cabela, Bass Pro or your favorite local outfitter for quick-dry clothing. A lightweight, quick dry fisherman's shirt will be cool yet cover your arms. Ditto in the pants that zip off at the knees to become shorts. This is not an opportunity to get a great tan - you need serious sun protection. Add a hat because a sun scorched scalp is just the worst.

In addition to sunburn, windburn is a real possibility when spending a lot of time on the water and sailing in a salty breeze. Keep your face moisturized and bring along some lip balm. You will need to stay hydrated so a cute strap to make your water bottle easy to carry might be a fun accessory.

A pair of light weight gloves is very helpful if you are going to be working lines on your vessel. Not necessary if you are just a passenger (but you will be a hero if you happen to have a pair when someone starts groaning about rope-weary palms.

Also, you might consider a small dry bag to tote your stuff onto the boat. I like a dry bag with a roll down top and circle-fold-to-clip, these can be easily attached in an out of the way place and if you swamp or keel over sharply, stuff doesn't go sliding around and get lost or scattered.

If this is actually SeaBase, they should be providing you with a good packing list.