Menu

s/o my own thread...Xylitol...tell me more about this?

ProudGrandma

We use xylitol here.  My girlfriend and I buy a 50 pound bag and split it.  We store it in the pantry in sealed containers.  I love it and use it in everything as a replacement for sugar.  I have a couple of friends and family who will call me and ask if they can buy a pound or two at a time off of me.

For teeth, ducking candies and chewing gums are best because they prolong exposure while minimising total intake. Too much xylitol can cause digestive problems. We also use Squigle, a high-xylitol toothpaste.

Seconding the warning about dogs.

My dental hygienist mentioned Xylitol one visit. She said that she had attended a...session? convention? lecture?....something where they talked about how great it is for your teeth. She said that typically, the bacteria in our mouth feed off sugar & then basically excrete acid (something to that effect). So both the bacteria & their excrement are bad for our teeth. The bacteria eat the Xylitol & it kills them.

I specifically remember her saying it takes 5 daily exposures to do the best good. So one patient she had put it on her kids' cereal, baked with it...the whole nine.

I remember thinking, 'Well, that sounds great for your teeth--but what does it do to the rest of your body?' I haven't really given it much thought since then.

I would feel more comfortable using a high-xylitol toothpaste (you can also get high fluoride toothpaste from your dentist). The dental hygienist also mentioned that they used to make a xylitol chewing gum, she wasn't sure if it was still on the market.

Most sugar free chewing gums are sweetened with xylitol.

It gives me digestive issues in all but the tiniest amounts. It's in my Tom's of Maine toothpaste--orange mango gel (i can't stand mint), but I can't use it as a food sweetener or chew gum regularly without problems.

When they needed it, my kids each had five mints or gum over the course of the day plus the toothpaste. They never had digestive problems. Note we just use the toothpaste.

I use it as a replacement for sugar. It is measured the same as sugar in a recipe. My family isn't aware I regularly substitute sugar with xylitol. DH has been using xylitol in his coffee for about 6 months. ;)

The bacteria, that cause decay, eat the xylitol and cannot digest it, and they die. Recommended dosage is 5 exposures a day. I think 1/2 t or 1 t?

Oldest dd and I have the same type of teeth which means we have no cavities or issues. Dh and younger dd have had several cavities. Our dentist mentioned gum with xylitol and they have had zero cavities since. That has been the only change we've made and it's been about six years. I've never done any other kind of xylitol supplement; just the gum.

I have digestive issues also but have been told that that is a sign of the xylitol killing off the candida in your system. You are supposed to start small and keep slowing increasing until you can tolerate it. I did that but found that if I didnt eat it consistently as a sweetener then I had issues again. I should keep it up but got morning sickness and well not back to normal yet stomach wise.