Menu

HAPPY DANCE! THE ROCKET TEAM IS GOING TO WASHINGTON DC!!!

FaithManor

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray: :hurray:  

We are one of only two of 15 teams from Michigan, and the neat thing is that the other team that qualified is mentored by a good friend of ours.

This is just so much fun.

The two flight total cut off (in a competition where lowest score wins like golf) was 54.12

We posted a total of 19.10. Comfortably in the margin. We'll be out practicing more once it begins to act like spring, decent spring. It's raining now and may turn into freezing rain and snow later! UGH

So, that's the scoop. If you want to know more about what we do, here is the website:

www.rocketcontest.org

I am so glad the jittery, waiting to know part is over.

Booking rooms as soon as DH gets off his conference call. The ones that AIA set aside in Manassas are too high. I think probably the hotels upped their rate and then to the TARC discount off that because $90.00 or more plus tax is the lowest. So, we'll, as usual, stay at a hotel away from the other teams. I don't like it that much because the kids do not have a chance to spend their down time getting to know other teams. However, there is very, very little we can do about it. The budget is tight enough with out going over a whole bunch.

We are also working on our sight seeing plans. We've been to the Air and Space twice, American History, and Natural History as well plus the Library of Congress and we know our way around the Russell Senate building because that is where the Congressional Breakfast is held. We been to the Capitol building too. We never know far enough in advance to book a White House tour, and they did a trolley tour of the monuments last year. So, we are leaning towards Arlington National Cemetery and a trip out to the Air and Space Hanger by Dulles where they keep the shuttle and all the REALLY big rockets.

We'll be staying very close to Manassas Battlefield and since we have two team members that have track meets when we get back, we are going to run by there Thursday night and again Friday afternoon so they can jog.

Now.the.paperwork. Permission slips for TARC. Permission slips for 4-H. Medical forms. Registration. For someone who hates paperwork, I sure do manage to get myself into positions where I end up doing a bunch! For an excellent cause though.

Booking rooms as soon as DH gets off his conference call. The ones that AIA set aside in Manassas are too high. I think probably the hotels upped their rate and then to the TARC discount off that because $90.00 or more plus tax is the lowest. So, we'll, as usual, stay at a hotel away from the other teams. I don't like it that much because the kids do not have a chance to spend their down time getting to know other teams. However, there is very, very little we can do about it. The budget is tight enough with out going over a whole bunch.

We are also working on our sight seeing plans. We've been to the Air and Space twice, American History, and Natural History as well plus the Library of Congress and we know our way around the Russell Senate building because that is where the Congressional Breakfast is held. We been to the Capitol building too. We never know far enough in advance to book a White House tour, and they did a trolley tour of the monuments last year. So, we are leaning towards Arlington National Cemetery and a trip out to the Air and Space Hanger by Dulles where they keep the shuttle and all the REALLY big rockets.

We'll be staying very close to Manassas Battlefield and since we have two team members that have track meets when we get back, we are going to run by there Thursday night and again Friday afternoon so they can jog.

Now.the.paperwork. Permission slips for TARC. Permission slips for 4-H. Medical forms. Registration. For someone who hates paperwork, I sure do manage to get myself into positions where I end up doing a bunch! For an excellent cause though.

A couple places we really enjoyed while we lived there:

Marine Corps Museum in Triangle/Quantico. It's right off of I95 and has tons of parking. Really a well done museum.  Free admission and parking.

The Udvar-Hazy Center for NASM in Dulles is great. You might try contacting them ahead of time to see if they could set up a dedicated docent tour of the rocket/shuttle area.  The museum is free, but parking is $15 per car. There is a McDonalds in the museum, but it is pricey.

National Archives downtown. This is pretty cool, but does require a longish wait to get through security and then into the rotunda with the prime documents. I think it's really worth it. Another favorite in the building is the education center, which has amazing facsimile editions of documents, categorized by era or topic. We spent a couple hours in there browsing (a couple that spring to mind are Rosa Park's arrest documents and the DC police ledger for the night that President Lincoln was shot - routine drunks and thieves then a manhunt for the assasin).

My son puts in a pitch for Claude Moore Colonial Farm (where he used to be a costumed volunteer). It portrays a 1771 colonial farm operated by poor tenant farmers. They actually grow tobacco and have live animals on site. It's a pretty cool place. They might be able to give a discount for a group. It's located on Georgetown Pike near the CIA.

Mount Vernon is amazing, but I don't know how much time you'd be able to devote to it. We usually spent a couple hours.

Arlington is very cool, especially if you have history buffs. We love wandering around to look at the headstones and memorials. There are memorials for the two shuttle accidents, and I think the Apollo fire. If you have time to wander past the section for new internments, it is very sobering. Many of the graves have small decorations from family members or friends. There are often people visiting loved ones or friends. I never leave unmoved or unhumbled.

Best of luck at the competition. Bummed that we've relocated, or I would bring out a cheering section for you.