Menu

secular Sonlight - www.bookshark.com?

ebrindam

They are at my local curriculum fair too. I am really intrigued. The packages show history & reading together, but you can buy the IG separately from the books from this page (which is all I'd need, since I already have all the books for cores 1 & 2). It is just the part of Sonlight I like, without all the other stuff. The Bookshark IG is $5 MORE than the Sonlight IG, though, even with fewer parts to it (no LA or Bible!).

I am sort of considering it. Maybe Core 1/B/1st grade for our 2nd Grade. My advanced reader can read the RAs himself.

Bookshark History 4 IG (Weeks 10-12)

Bookshark History 4 IG (Week 20)

Sonlight Core E IG (Weeks 1-3)

Is it just me, or does the Bookshark IG have a lot more detail in the history discussion?

My first impression was the history questions with bookshark were WAY better, but I wasn't sure as I couldn't compare week to week. The SL questions, IMO, stay at about the comprehension level even through G. I had been trying to figure out how to modify them to a more developmentally appropriate level, and how to avoid the commentary in the IG's that we don't care for. I noticed a statement in the bookshark sample about government's role in helping the poor, but it was an open- ended question rather than a question followed by a prescribed perspective. I have been tired of altering SL's perspective.  Also, I vastly prefer the way the readers are arranged and some of the additions to the grade 2 readers. Initially, I am so pleased with what I am seeing that I would even buy the books from the site rather than amazon. I do wonder if the LA has been altered. I may order a level just to see.

I kind of wish products were available now. I need the K guide for my 6 and 8 year olds. I totally get why faithful SL people are upset; if I were invested in SL as it used to be, I would be, too. However, I think bookshark stands to fill a significant need in the growing homeschool world; the need for a literature- based, secular homeschool curriculum. Now they just need to get all those typos on the site fixed!

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the "for schools" page, it mentions their sister company - which I assume is Sonlight.

This is exciting - I may have to rethink plans for my youngest's upcoming fifth grade year! After being drawn to Sonlight for years and years, we finally tried it last year, but ugh, I just hated tweaking it to be secular, and wasn't fond of the LA stuff or the history workbook either, to be honest (the stuff that wasn't literature-based I guess), so I sent it back during its return window. This looks great, because I could just buy the reading through history and the science stuff if I wanted....and leave out the LA stuff. If 7th grade is available by the fall as well, and they can keep up with my kids in upcoming years, that could just be absolutely perfect!!!

Thanks for posting this...

Grade 7 is supposed to be available by this August, per the bookshark website.

I can't find a list of what's the difference between the regular/intermediate/advanced book lists for 2nd grade.  (Nevermind, I found it).  I also wish they had samples for each grade.  And wow, I wish it weren't so expensive!  Isn't there a way to just buy the guide, and then use library books?

I can't find a list of what's the difference between the regular/intermediate/advanced book lists for 2nd grade.  (Nevermind, I found it).  I also wish they had samples for each grade.  And wow, I wish it weren't so expensive!  Isn't there a way to just buy the guide, and then use library books?

Yes, under All Bookshark Products you can purchase individual items (in June). You could also check Amazon for the books themselves. Awhile ago, I calculated the cost of using SL vs. the cost of others options with more consumables. SL was acutally less in total, given I reuse each level three times. I've never been able to combine kids well, except for read- alouds.

They are at my local curriculum fair too. I am really intrigued. The packages show history & reading together, but you can buy the IG separately from the books from this page (which is all I'd need, since I already have all the books for cores 1 & 2). It is just the part of Sonlight I like, without all the other stuff. The Bookshark IG is $5 MORE than the Sonlight IG, though, even with fewer parts to it (no LA or Bible!).

I am sort of considering it. Maybe Core 1/B/1st grade for our 2nd Grade. My advanced reader can read the RAs himself.

Bookshark History 4 IG (Weeks 10-12)

Bookshark History 4 IG (Week 20)

Sonlight Core E IG (Weeks 1-3)

Is it just me, or does the Bookshark IG have a lot more detail in the history discussion?

Where are you finding the samples? For example, if I look at the following link it says there are no samples available. I'd like to see IGs for other levels as well.

http://www.bookshark.com/history-4-instructor-s-guide

So found this when I went to the K instructor guide 

You'll use the Instructor's Guide like a compass to guide your children down the path to spiritual and academic excellence

Ă¢â‚¬â€¹So I do wonder how much they have edited...and sadly no preview.

Where are you finding the samples? For example, if I look at the following link it says there are no samples available. I'd like to see IGs for other levels as well.

http://www.bookshark.com/history-4-instructor-s-guide

I found one link in their "for parents" section, and the other through their fourth grade complete package link. http://www.bookshark.com/fourth-grade/full-grade/fourth-grade-full-grade (samples link is at the bottom). Clearly, their website needs done work!

So found this when I went to the K instructor guide 

You'll use the Instructor's Guide like a compass to guide your children down the path to spiritual and academic excellence[/size]

Ă¢â‚¬â€¹So I do wonder how much they have edited...and sadly no preview.

"Spiritual" could be used here in the sense of "moral" rather than pushing any one particular flavor of Christianity (as SL does). I know far more people who consider themselves "spiritual but not religious" than I do people who are atheists.

I must admit I am befuddled by this testimonial:

Unless she was using 5th grade materials with her 9th grader, what the what? I also really don't understand why bookshark only goes up to 5th grade? Time necessary to secularize each core/grade maybe? 

I imagine this is a SL quote, not a Bookshark quote.  (By the way, how are we abbreviating Bookshark?  I started to write BS but that didn't look right!)  :D

I imagine this is a SL quote, not a Bookshark quote.  (By the way, how are we abbreviating Bookshark?  I started to write BS but that didn't look right!)  :D

Someone suggested BKS.

The quote is probably from "Brightflash" which was the working name they used during a trial run in the past year. (If you go to www.brightflashlearning.com, they say the name has changed to Bookshark & redirect you).

SL offers different levels of math, right? From what I've seen from SL's website they offer the cores (or whatever they call them now) and then you add the math that you would like on top of that. I really like what I'm seeing on Bookshark, but I can't get the whole grade package if I can't choose the math level for my students. I did send them an email to ask and haven't heard back yet.

It says grade 6 and 7 are due out this year. I may send a msg and ask about high school. Gosh, that would be awesome.

Interesting I missed this & now I'm curious because I would prefer to purchase BookShark, all though I have no qualms with Sonlight I don't use their LA & moving into the -00 cores I'm not keen how they've separated readers & what not. I wonder, though, if the "high school"/-00 cores will be all in one or not with Bookshark. Hmm.. I'd LOVE to know what you find out if you do question them. Must investigate their page more I guess..

I must admit I am befuddled by this testimonial:

Unless she was using 5th grade materials with her 9th grader, what the what? I also really don't understand why bookshark only goes up to 5th grade? Time necessary to secularize each core/grade maybe? 

FWIW, BookShark was formerly BrightFlash which is part of inquisicorp {which someone else mentioned} Those not he board of Inquisicorp are the same on the board of SL all though they are considered separate businesses. BrightFlash was released to a degree last year, but I think it underwent more changes to remove more/all of the books/info that could be considered religious to it could be used in schools & by homeschoolers working through PS.

There were articles about all this surfacing last year when it came to light about the two companies owned by the same people who own SL. Also saw a link somewhere for some reviews/info about BookShark, but I dunno if that was a Beta Tester or not. :)

And Sonlight is OK w/ this? No legal action? I guess bookshark has done nothing illegal, but I guess I'm surprised that SL is not fighting this.

Huh.

Yes, because they own the same company. :D

I'm interested in the opinions here... I went over each company's booklists for the 4th grade and while there were a lot of similarities, there were a lot of differences too. I haven't read a lot of the books on these lists so I'm not sure how secular/sectarian they are. Some that were read alouds were readers in the other program and vice versa, but these are all the books listed for the 4th grade.

Same

A Letter to Mrs. Roosevelt -- A little girl rights a letter to help her family save their home. Non religious.

Across Five Aprils -- Civil War Era, we found it a bit dry, but I don't remember mention of religion on it.

By the Great Horn Spoon -- Lovely lovely book about the CA Gold Rush, no religion mentioned.

Caddie Woodlawn -- Civil War, father pays someone to serve in place of him, all though that's not the main portion of the book. Family attends a church, but what happens there isn't mentioned, I think they pray over a meal. Mostly it's about Caddie & finding herself.

Freedom Train -- Non Religious; Harriot Beecher Stow reaching Freedom. Can't remember if she prays in the book.

Helen Keller -- Non Religious.

Hero Over Here -- Only book we didn't use.

In the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson -- About a little girl who's family migrates to USA from China. Non religious.

Little Britches -- Family goes to start a new live in CO. Minor Cursing from the neighbours, mention of being a man of honour, possible prayer. Father dies in the book at the end.

Miracles on Maple Hill --  Father suffering with PTS after coming home from WWII. Non Religious.

Moccasin Trail -- About a boy who ran away from home & ended up being raised by Indians trying to find himself now that he's back with his family. Don't remember any religion all though possible prayer from the "white" family. But again if it's prayer it's only "said grace" not specific praying.

Old Yeller -- Just like the movie.. Non Religious

Oxford Illustrated Book of American Children's Poems --Â Ă¢â‚¬â€¹Non Religious, don't recall any poems about God in the book actually.

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry --Â Ă¢â‚¬â€¹Non Religious all though i do think the parents of the children under oppression mention praying & praying hard, but that'd be it.

Shades of Gray -- Boy trying to sort himself out when sent to live with a family in the south who didn't fight in the Civil War. Non Religious.

The Great Turkey Walk -- Non Religious. Kinda silly.

The Great Wheel -- So-so as a read, we didn't hate it but we didn't love it. Non Religious.

The Seventeenth Swap -- Whoops, didn't read this one either.

The Story of Thomas Alva Edison -- Non Relgious, just looks over his life & works.

The Wright Brothers --Â Ă¢â‚¬â€¹Same as the above book, non religious.

Thimble Summer -- Non Religious; fun summer read.

Turn Homeward, Hannalee -- One of our favourites! I don't recall any religion in it.

Sonlight Exclusive

Carry On, Mr. Bowditch

In Search of the Source

Johnny Tremain

The Witch of Blackbird Pond

Walk the World's Rim

Om-kas-toe -- Non Relgious, about an Indian Girl who was kidnapped trying to find her way back "home".

Phoebe the Spy --Â Ă¢â‚¬â€¹Non Relgious based on a "true" story about a little girl who helps unfoil a plot to kill George Washington

Pocahontas and the Strangers -- Non religious; She dies in the end of the story & about 1/3 of the book {end} is rather sad.

Sarah, Plain and Tall -- Might be mention to prayer, been a while since we've read this.

The Cabin Faced West -- Love this book, non Relgious

The Lewis & Clark Expedition

The Matchlock Gun

Toliver's Secret

What's the Big Idea, Ben Franklin? -- Non Religious.

Bookshark Exclusive

All-of-a-Kind Family -- The family is Jewish so some of their customs come up in the book such as when they fast & the parents are gone all day to church. They have a librarian over to celebrate one of their Jewish holidays.

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler -- Non Religious all though a few things are spoken about such as drugs & I want to say a girlie matter, but I might be thinking of a different one.

Gone Away Lake -- More magic then anything else, & a lovely summer read.

Plain Girl -- Main character's family is Amish so the book is going to have that sort of content in it. The father is very strict because the brother left the ordnung. The girl is struggling because of the strictness.

Sing Down the Moon -- About two girls kidnapped & making their way back home. Non Religious.

The Perilous Road -- About the Civil War, don't recall any religion. If you read the other Civil War books you'll want to include this one as each book is written from a different perspective {North, South, Neutral}

The Winged Watchman -- Non religious; WW2 set in Hungary I believe it is. Lovely book, all though a character does die which makes it a wee bit sad. Also a surprise happens about the little baby in the book which kinda takes one off guard, but nothing negative. Of course there is a Jewish family in there so that faith would be represented due to the context of the book.

Tried to give descriptions above in bold. We didn't use Core D so I can't give ones for all those books all though I have read most of them, but some too long ago to know for sure about content. 

We aren't bothered by most religious content in fictional books because it tends to remain neutral unless it's Christian Fiction, so nothing in the books we read really struck out at me. Just including that incase I've misrepresented one of the book. :D

Bottom line, I'd really love to try BKS {haha so glad it isn't bs as I saw a few people shorten it too, kinda threw me back..} because we choose to use something different for Bible & LA. Also I notice the book lists are shorter leaving more room for other books. Wonder if they'll do the -00 cores. :D

Someone suggested BKS.

The quote is probably from "Brightflash" which was the working name they used during a trial run in the past year. (If you go to www.brightflashlearning.com, they say the name has changed to Bookshark & redirect you).

How about SL2?

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler -- Non Religious all though a few things are spoken about such as drugs & I want to say a girlie matter, but I might be thinking of a different one.

I think you might be thinking of a different one, and I don't remember any drug use, though it's been a while since I read it (I did read it as an adult, though).  About a little girl and her brother who run away from home, and go live in the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  While they're there, they solve an art-related mystery.  A great book, and I don't remember any religion at all.

I think you might be thinking of a different one, and I don't remember any drug use, though it's been a while since I read it (I did read it as an adult, though).  About a little girl and her brother who run away from home, and go live in the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  While they're there, they solve an art-related mystery.  A great book, and I don't remember any religion at all.

No, there was some talk about drug use - Jamie tries to pick up a candy bar he finds in the street and Claudia chasten's him by saying it could have been left by a drug dealer and if you eat it, you could become a drug addict. Of couse he eats it and nothing terrible happens to him, lol.

That's one of my favorite books. :)

No, there was some talk about drug use - Jamie tries to pick up a candy bar he finds in the street and Claudia chasten's him by saying it could have been left by a drug dealer and if you eat it, you could become a drug addict. Of couse he eats it and nothing terrible happens to him, lol.

That's one of my favorite books. :)

Oh okay, I totally forgot about that part!  That makes sense in the storyline, too... I totally couldn't imagine actual drug use fitting into the plot!

"Spiritual" could be used here in the sense of "moral" rather than pushing any one particular flavor of Christianity (as SL does). I know far more people who consider themselves "spiritual but not religious" than I do people who are atheists.

I hope so! I just wish there was a sample :)

Yes, under All Bookshark Products you can purchase individual items (in June). You could also check Amazon for the books themselves. Awhile ago, I calculated the cost of using SL vs. the cost of others options with more consumables. SL was acutally less in total, given I reuse each level three times. I've never been able to combine kids well, except for read- alouds.

Thank you!  You're right, it is available there... I hadn't seen that.

If anyone else is interested, here's the link: http://www.bookshark.com/all-bookshark-products

The parent guides are only $7.  I will definitely be buying the one for 2nd grade... maybe for all 3 levels.  I do wish there were samples, though.

If "The Cabin Faced West" is the one by Jean Fritz, the reviews don't mention any religious content.

It's based on the life of a relative of hers. George Washington makes a brief appearance; it's mostly about the girl adjusting to life "out west," where they are pretty isolated. The book isn't religious or evangelical in nature, but there are a few references to churches and such as the settlers were Christian and planned to build churches.

But I looked at the list for year 5 and I did observe the book "Mother Teresa Missionary of Charity," and "Whatever Happened to Penny Candy?" I wish homeschoolers would branch out beyond this book. At least TWTM doesn't use it.

SL offers different levels of math, right? From what I've seen from SL's website they offer the cores (or whatever they call them now) and then you add the math that you would like on top of that. I really like what I'm seeing on Bookshark, but I can't get the whole grade package if I can't choose the math level for my students. I did send them an email to ask and haven't heard back yet.

There is also a number on the site under 'Contact'. If you couldn't sub out a different level of math, you could do the by- subject packages and then add in the right level of math.

Is there a consensus on an abbreviation? I just can't use BS!

BSK? BKSK?

Thinking of setting up a yahoo group, so a better abbreviation would be great. We are definitely going the bookshark route, and will have K and 3 (D). I am replacing my SL K IG, even though I could do a repurchase discount through SL. It is just worth it for us.

I can post again after we get the IG's to give some more input about the specific content (faith and such).

There is also a number on the site under 'Contact'. If you couldn't sub out a different level of math, you could do the by- subject packages and then add in the right level of math.

I'd thought about just doing the by subject thing, but once you add everything in without math it costs more than the whole grade level package. :cursing:  So if they don't allow you to sub my only choice would be to buy the wrong level math in the grade level package and then buy the right level separately and try to sell the other.

As for the phone.... I avoid it when it can possibly be helped. I'll have to wait patiently for my email to be answered or go see them at a curriculum fair. :lol:

Tried to give descriptions above in bold. We didn't use Core D so I can't give ones for all those books all though I have read most of them, but some too long ago to know for sure about content. 

We aren't bothered by most religious content in fictional books because it tends to remain neutral unless it's Christian Fiction, so nothing in the books we read really struck out at me. Just including that incase I've misrepresented one of the book. :D

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer about the contents of the books! I'm the same way, I don't mind religious content in books, (I read The Chosen in a public high school, and I'm not Jewish. I even made challah bread to bring to class.) I just don't like when books present one particular religion as "the only right way to do things". As someone mentioned in this or another thread, you can't write books like The Witch of Blackbird Pond without mentioning Puritans.

Any thoughts on if the bookshark IGs will be free of some of the odd history from sonlight?  I'm strongly considering bookshark for my rising 4th grader next year.  I was so upset SL added their LA back in.  This solves that problem.

I'm not sure what you're referring to with odd history from sonlight. If you mean how their worldview has become increasingly interwoven in the IG notes, then I am really hoping the bookshark notes will not have this- and would guess they won't.

Am I just not navigating the site well or is there no way to customize materials? For example when I go into first grade, even choosing "reading with history" instead of the full grade package, you still can't pick a different readers level.

There is a tab- I think at the bottom of the site- that says 'All Bookshark Products'. When you click that, it takes you to a list of all products and from there you can add them to your cart individually.

Meh. I actually don't mind the name. I think it's better than Brightflash. That could be just about anything... a photography product, brain development software, homeschool curriculum... Bookshark at least has "book" in the title, and isn't that what most people who love SL love about it? All the books?

There is a tab- I think at the bottom of the site- that says 'All Bookshark Products'. When you click that, it takes you to a list of all products and from there you can add them to your cart individually.

Wow that's a lot more expensive. I added all of reading with history for first grade to my cart individually. The exact same contents as if you buy the set. Together it is $369, the same books individually added came to $466! So definitely not worth building a set to include a different level of readers.

I think it's kind of funny, actually. The name is awful.

Yeah - I wonder if they even tried testing out the name with a focus group before they committed?

I remember John had a blog post about coming up with the name Brightflash. It wasn't some really meaningful thing, just the user ID he'd been using for years online.

Book Shark? Makes me think of a loan shark, so now I picture a "book shark" as someone who is going to try to scam me with a bunch of super expensive books.

Or maybe someone who just destroys books by tearing them apart into bits of info.

Anyway, it doesn't really bring to mind cuddling on the couch and discussing good literature.

This is throwing all of my "settled" plans up in the air again. My 6 year old is doing first grade next year. We've done geography this year, but not formal history (although he is reading the First Encyclopedia of History on his own).

I was all ready to do a more textbook-based year next year, using textbooks for science & LA. I have to split my time between two kids who would each rather have me working 1:1 all day, so efficiency is necessary as I can't be in 2 places at once. I planned on using Adventures in America for an intro to formal history (only 2 days a week, includes narration & copywork, schedules RAs on a do-able schedule). Then the next year do SOTW 1 with Classical House of Learning (already have a huge box of books for it) for grade 2 ... and from there continue with SOTW 2-4 & CHOL (grades 3-5), Human Odyssey in 6th & 7th, and then History of US in 8th. It's a good plan, right? My concern is that SOTW might be a bit more than we need for history. I hear of so many people using SOTW 1 & 2, but not so many using 3 & 4. I don't want to set myself up for a problem later.

But now there's a feasible alternative. I could do BookShark 1-4 for grades 1-4, world cultures & geography in 5th, then Human Odyssey in 6th & 7th, History of US in 8th .. This means skipping Adventures in America, running through world history on a much faster/lighter level (but CHOW and Usborne Time Traveler are maybe a more efficient way to hit the highlights), and a much bigger concentration on US History. It seems more kid-friendly to me, and more likely to GET DONE.

Or maybe we could do Adventures in America this year with the addition of the BookShark Grade 3 Regular Readers (that aren't already in Adv. in America- they mostly overlap). Then for grades 2-5, use BookShark 1-4 (using the advanced readers for 3). Then we would either skip world geography/cultures or do it as a once-a-week thing.

Money isn't a factor (I get my curriculum provided for free, and I have most of the books for all of the above scenarios anyway LOL). Why is so hard to pick one thing and then just ignore everything else? Well, I know why, it's because I fear choosing wrongly and then having to start over.

Did someone say Grade 7 would be out in August? What about 6? I can't find it on the site.

I'd be interested in release dates for grades 6 and 7. Dd's read many of the readers/ read alouds in 5 (F) already (and D and E, unfortunately before the school year began last year- glad I bought everything used). The grade 6 LA and science might work out if they iron out a few of the my dislikes from SL G.

I'll be curious what they (BSh?) replaces science with for 7 and up. ETA: LOL BSh is even worse... giggling. Maybe BkSh?

Did someone say Grade 7 would be out in August? What about 6? I can't find it on the site.

I'd be interested in release dates for grades 6 and 7. Dd's read many of the readers/ read alouds in 5 (F) already (and D and E, unfortunately before the school year began last year- glad I bought everything used). The grade 6 LA and science might work out if they iron out a few of the my dislikes from SL G.

I'll be curious what they (BSh?) replaces science with for 7 and up. ETA: LOL BSh is even worse... giggling. Maybe BkSh?

Look under the School Info tab. :)

Yes, I'd be curious about the science too.. 

Thank you!  You're right, it is available there... I hadn't seen that.

If anyone else is interested, here's the link: http://www.bookshark.com/all-bookshark-products

The parent guides are only $7.  I will definitely be buying the one for 2nd grade... maybe for all 3 levels.  I do wish there were samples, though.

I'm confused. Which specific guides are only $7?

This is throwing all of my "settled" plans up in the air again. My 6 year old is doing first grade next year. We've done geography this year, but not formal history (although he is reading the First Encyclopedia of History on his own).

*snip*

Money isn't a factor (I get my curriculum provided for free, and I have most of the books for all of the above scenarios anyway LOL). Why is so hard to pick one thing and then just ignore everything else? Well, I know why, it's because I fear choosing wrongly and then having to start over.

Me too. I was all set to use Calvert next year and then I saw this. May still end up using Calvert for the older one, because grade 6 "coming out in August" could always mean late September (you never know with publishers, it seems) and I don't want to be left waiting for something that doesn't arrive on time.