Menu

Sonlight does it again

quietchapel

D+E is a one-year US history. It uses some books from D, and some from E. D and E (separately) are part 1 and part 2 of a US history curriculum.

There is also B+C, a one-year world history (for early elem.) using books from B and C (2-year world history).

But to confuse matters:  Core W is a one-year world history for jr. high-ish age, but the corresponding two-year World history is G and H. W is not called G+H because not all the books in W are from G and H. 

The choices of 1-year or 2-year programs are just a matter of what will fit a family's needs. Obviously the two-year plan can go more in-depth.

And in the past SL has encouraged the use of the Combo packages for older students who may not have had any of that particular history.  So the D+E would have probably been suggested for a 5th grader, and the W for 8th 

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what I would love?  A lit based program with a package of read alouds for the family including some sort of history spine.  Then, I want a set of readers to purchase depending on the child's grade that go along with that time period.  

So, for ancients you might have SOTW 1 and a few ancient or just good lit novels to read aloud to everyone.  

Then, if I have a 1st, 4th, and 6th grader, I purchase an ancients set of 1st, 4th, and 6th readers.  Or maybe I could purchase the 5th grade readers and the 4th and 6th grader could share.  That way, everyone in the family is on the same time period, everyone has their own books on their own level, and I can click buy and receive it in one big box.  Along with this, I want a daily schedule that tells exactly what pages/chapters to read.

I don't want science, LA, art or anything else included.

Biblioplan  does almost exactly what you described and is based upon WTM :)

From my guide:

The chronological time periods we chose were inspired by the history-study guidelines in The Well-Trained Mind

There are 4 levels of readers & several spines to choose from depending on how religious/secular you prefer. No Science/LA/AR unless you add it in. It does not schedule specific pages for all the lit books (which works better for my family but is easy to remedy by reading however much you want that week lol) and the book lists are incredible! It has been a breath of fresh air for us after years of struggling to find that perfect (non-existent) curriculum :)

Biblioplan  does almost exactly what you described and is based upon WTM :)

From my guide:

The chronological time periods we chose were inspired by the history-study guidelines in The Well-Trained Mind

There are 4 levels of readers & several spines to choose from depending on how religious/secular you prefer. No Science/LA/AR unless you add it in. It does not schedule specific pages for all the lit books (which works better for my family but is easy to remedy by reading however much you want that week lol) and the book lists are incredible! It has been a breath of fresh air for us after years of struggling to find that perfect (non-existent) curriculum :)

Okay... I would love to hear a bit more about your thoughts on biblioplan.  I don't like the companion thing is computer based.  I don't have any sort of ipad to read it from.  I can use my laptop, but I try to only get out my mac when the two year old is sleeping because if I turn my back for a second he destroys everything.  So, having to read off of an electronic device in the middle of the school day is not appealing.

It also doesn't contain readers like sonlight.  What do you use for independent reading?  Also, sometimes when I have looked at samples, it looks like the same book recommended for k-2 and 3-5 (or whatever the exact age breakdown is).  Are those books really working for that wide of an age spectrum?  

How many years have you used it?  Do you think moderns would work for a 2nd grader?  Because it seems like SOTW doesn't work for that age.  

ETA:  Does it contain read alouds and read alone books??  Maybe I need to look again.  It's always on my short list.

Okay... I would love to hear a bit more about your thoughts on biblioplan. I don't like the companion thing is computer based. I don't have any sort of ipad to read it from. I can use my laptop, but I try to only get out my mac when the two year old is sleeping because if I turn my back for a second he destroys everything. So, having to read off of an electronic device in the middle of the school day is not appealing.

It also doesn't contain readers like sonlight. What do you use for independent reading? Also, sometimes when I have looked at samples, it looks like the same book recommended for k-2 and 3-5 (or whatever the exact age breakdown is). Are those books really working for that wide of an age spectrum?

How many years have you used it? Do you think moderns would work for a 2nd grader? Because it seems like SOTW doesn't work for that age.

ETA: Does it contain read alouds and read alone books?? Maybe I need to look again. It's always on my short list.

I'm curious about Biblioplsn as well. Can't you purchase the Companion in a print version? I can't use an electronic version either. I want to use SL books for Ancients and the following year. (Cores G & H)

Sorry, I don't mean to high jack the thread.

Okay... I would love to hear a bit more about your thoughts on biblioplan. I don't like the companion thing is computer based. I don't have any sort of ipad to read it from. I can use my laptop, but I try to only get out my mac when the two year old is sleeping because if I turn my back for a second he destroys everything. So, having to read off of an electronic device in the middle of the school day is not appealing.

It also doesn't contain readers like sonlight. What do you use for independent reading? Also, sometimes when I have looked at samples, it looks like the same book recommended for k-2 and 3-5 (or whatever the exact age breakdown is). Are those books really working for that wide of an age spectrum?

How many years have you used it? Do you think moderns would work for a 2nd grader? Because it seems like SOTW doesn't work for that age.

ETA: Does it contain read alouds and read alone books?? Maybe I need to look again. It's always on my short list.

I read aloud the k-2 reader, but the 3+ and up "readers" can be independent reads. It does have a family "read aloud" but when we used BP bc my kids were all small, I chose one of the 5+ readers and read it aloud.

I do think it would work for a 2nd grader bc they put a big emphasis on US history, you could focus on that for your younger.

When I research, I always come up with Biblioplan, but I have too many uncertainties that keep me from taking the plunge. I think all I want is the schedule, but they've added so many components now. Also, I wish they sold book sets, because I've never had a clear picture of what I would need to buy as far as books go. I like to go to one place, hit "add to cart" and then "buy". I don't like knowing I'd spend a hundred some dollars on the curric and then still have to go hunt down a ton of books. I'd love to see it in person.

When I research, I always come up with Biblioplan, but I have too many uncertainties that keep me from taking the plunge. I think all I want is the schedule, but they've added so many components now. Also, I wish they sold book sets, because I've never had a clear picture of what I would need to buy as far as books go. I like to go to one place, hit "add to cart" and then "buy". I don't like knowing I'd spend a hundred some dollars on the curric and then still have to go hunt down a ton of books. I'd love to see it in person.

The actual book purchasing was quite simple. I went to Rainbow Resource, added all the books to the cart...voila. ;)

The actual book purchasing was quite simple. I went to Rainbow Resource, added all the books to the cart...voila. ;)

How did you know what to add? Was there a "set"? I'm curious how much it added up to!

How did you know what to add? Was there a "set"? I'm curious how much it added up to!

I went through the BP guide, chose what books we would read, substituted as many SL books as I could (we are big fans of SL choices) and then just searched for them on RR. I usually spend around $400-$450 on history each year-- buying curriculum and all books (I buy all the SL readers and plug them in.) (I don't use the library) ;)

I went through the BP guide, chose what books we would read, substituted as many SL books as I could (we are big fans of SL choices) and then just searched for them on RR. I usually spend around $400-$450 on history each year-- buying curriculum and all books (I buy all the SL readers and plug them in.) (I don't use the library) ;)

Yeah, see I would like to have an idea of what I'm going to spend before I dive into something. :/

Yeah, see I would like to have an idea of what I'm going to spend before I dive into something. :/

See, BP is one of those things you can spend as much or as little on books as you want. It is lit based like TOG of SL so if you buy all your books for a lit based curriculum you will spend similarly I think... Like a SL core. But many people purchase the spine books and utilize the library (now think closer to MFW costs).

SL is being schizophrenic.  When they snuck LA in with the cores, they gave them letters specifically so people wouldn't feel tied to grade levels in using them.  And NOW they've gone to being grade level specific.  I don't have a dog in this fight, as I ditched them after one year, but make up your minds people!

See, BP is one of those things you can spend as much or as little on books as you want. It is lit based like TOG of SL so if you buy all your books for a lit based curriculum you will spend similarly I think... Like a SL core. But many people purchase the spine books and utilize the library (now think closer to MFW costs).

Sorry to hijack this thread, but see this is where I'm confused. If you don't buy the books they recommend, then you can't follow the schedule, right? You can PM me if you want to take this conversation to PM. :)

Regarding the new catalog, it is shocking similar to the few educational catalogs I have for classrooms, and is nothing like the many other homeschool catalogs. In my book, that is a negative...

I'm extremely late to this conversation so someone may have already said this, but regarding the above comment... years ago when I was using full cores of SL (bought from SL) they changed their catalogs. Every year they have a contest and users can submit pics for the catalog. Previously, SL had always chosen your every day run of the mill pics that were heartwarming, but not necessarily professional. Well, 1 year they made a pretty distinct switch over to much more professional looking photos for the cover. I completely understand their reasoning for this due to marketing, etc. I get it. It's just that after they did that the company as a whole started feeling so much more "big corporation" (if you will) and so much less ordinary homescool-esque. ;) I don't know, I'm sure there's lots of people that love the professional look, but I enjoyed the "normal people" photos. I can just tell you that rarely do my children look like the children on that front cover even if it's Easter, we have pictures that day, my father-in-law is coming in town, and we're meeting the president. :)

I confess I did a happy dance when I found out about BookShark. A secular version makes me very very happy!

I am an Usborne rep (and junkie) and already own a good chunk of the books already, and will be picking up others on RainbowResource or wherever else I find them cheaper, just as I always have. 

With all the Common Core negativity, I can absolutely understand some of the changes there. I would not want to have anyone think my system was associated with that. 

I'm confused about the SL cores D and E. They list Core D, Core E, and also Core D+E. What's the difference? Are D and E completely separate and D+E is some of each of the two? Why the overlap?

D and E are a 2-year course in American History, with D covering Native Americans to 1850 and E covering from 1850 on. D+E is a consolidated 1-year course in American History that covers from Native Americans to present (or at least recent, I guess), for those who don't want to take 2 years to do it. So it's very similar, uses some of the same books, but is a shortened version of the course. It's the sam deal with cores B, C, and B+C, only with World History.

Before sites like Amazon, selling a great booklist and schedule was wonderful. Now, not so much. (Though I found the schedule really jumpy.)

Instead of repackaging the booklist, they should work on beefing up the guides to include in depth discussions. That's where the value needs to be nowadays, IMO.

Emily

How long has Sonlight been around?  My earliest purchases from Amazon are back in 1998..

I think it is interesting that core 100 is now officially 8th grade. I've seen posts for years arguing about the fact that its not high school level. I guess they just changed their mind? 

And this: So we opted to put the description right in the title. It's no longer Core A (which works great for students grades K-2), it's now labeled as aHistory, Bible, Language Arts, Reading Package aimed mostly at Kindergarteners. 

They say it's relabeling, but to me, "works great for students K-2" is very different than "aimed mostly at Kindergarteners." 

I'm extremely late to this conversation so someone may have already said this, but regarding the above comment... years ago when I was using full cores of SL (bought from SL) they changed their catalogs. Every year they have a contest and users can submit pics for the catalog. Previously, SL had always chosen your every day run of the mill pics that were heartwarming, but not necessarily professional. Well, 1 year they made a pretty distinct switch over to much more professional looking photos for the cover. I completely understand their reasoning for this due to marketing, etc. I get it. It's just that after they did that the company as a whole started feeling so much more "big corporation" (if you will) and so much less ordinary homescool-esque. ;) I don't know, I'm sure there's lots of people that love the professional look, but I enjoyed the "normal people" photos. I can just tell you that rarely do my children look like the children on that front cover even if it's Easter, we have pictures that day, my father-in-law is coming in town, and we're meeting the president. :)

They do still accept non-professional pictures. Our Sunday School teacher's kids made the back cover of the catalog last year.

I get what you are saying.  However, with the improvements to digital photography, I could fairly easily pull off a cover looking photo.  All I would need to do is lay out some cute outfits and post the kids near some flowers.  And I am a very, very amateur photographer.

How long has Sonlight been around?  My earliest purchases from Amazon are back in 1998..

Sonlight started back in 1990.

And this: So we opted to put the description right in the title. It's no longer Core A (which works great for students grades K-2), it's now labeled as aHistory, Bible, Language Arts, Reading Package aimed mostly at Kindergarteners. 

They say it's relabeling, but to me, "works great for students K-2" is very different than "aimed mostly at Kindergarteners." 

Yes, and in the description it says, "This program is perfect for 6- and 7-year-olds and advanced 5-year-olds." People often wonder why Sonlighters will often say to aim for the middle or upper age that Sonlight recommends--but Sonlight itself often does it! K often means "5" to people, but on the one hand while SL recommends core A as the "go to" for K, on the other hand they say it's only for "advanced" 5 yo's. 

They do still accept non-professional pictures. Our Sunday School teacher's kids made the back cover of the catalog last year.

Yes, definitely. There was a pic of my kids in their pajamas reading with their dad in last years catalog -- and we just took the photo with an iphone. I think just more families have really nice cameras nowadays...though we are not one of them ;)

Yes, definitely. There was a pic of my kids in their pajamas reading with their dad in last years catalog -- and we just took the photo with an iphone. I think just more families have really nice cameras nowadays...though we are not one of them ;)

but it wasn't cover quality.  the cover is totally different, 

Very staged looking photos now.  

I roll my eyes plenty when I look at the SL catalog. SO staged! Like the adorable preteen with perfectly clean feet standing in a tree "reading." Or any in which the parent is holding a book up perfectly straight in some odd location (airport, boat dock, field of dried out grass) while the children keep their hands to themselves and listen with rapt attention.

There are plenty of natural pics too, like the ones showing kids doing science experiments.

Yes, they do. I'm glad that they do that still. I was talking mostly about the cover. And to each their own. I certainly understand why they changed the look of their front cover. It makes sense. It did, however, subtly change my view of SL in some ways.

LOL.  My 14 year old son grabbed the latest SL catalog and was like, "Come on, Mom.  All these pictures are staged.  What kid is really going to read a book there?  Or there?"  He didn't think they looked realistic and found some of them downright silly.

LOL.  My 14 year old son grabbed the latest SL catalog and was like, "Come on, Mom.  All these pictures are staged.  What kid is really going to read a book there?  Or there?"  He didn't think they looked realistic and found some of them downright silly.

This has become the standard though. Even family pics on blogs and Facebook look staged these days. Everyone's house looks like a hotel room, every family picture looks like it came out of a catalogue.

So sweet. I love those photos.

Not Sonlight, but my oldest son used to crack up at the Apologia Science ads that were in all the homeschool  catalogs.  It showed a very happy girl doing a science experiment.  He always said that no one could possibly be that happy when they were doing a science experiment!

He's required to take Biology this semester at his college and he's still complaining bitterly about science labs though so maybe it's just him - LOL!

My daughter would do that... she does things like reading while standing on the bannister.

Emily