Menu

Annie Sloan Chalk Paint - have you used it?

Spryte

First... Ooooooh, the colors!  I love the colors!!!!   :001_wub: 

Now... Tell me about your experience?  Pretty please?

We are painting kitchen cabinets, and this is the paint I'm considering using.  I like that there is very little prep, but I want someone who's used it to tell me that, "Yes, it's true!  There is very little prep!"  

And for some reason, I'm nervous about the waxing - afraid it will be blotchy.  

Yep, I've watched a dozen videos and read a thousand blog posts.  :)  Now I'm ready for the Hive's take.  

Anyone?

(Or am I the only one insane enough to try to do this?)

Someone used it on a piece of furniture, Marianne? I'm tempted to use it on our fireplace mantle. Let us know how it goes. Maybe you want to try it out first on a small piece of furniture.

I hope she stops in!  

For now, I have a sample pot, and some wax.  Trying to decide between trying it out on a stepstool or a small bookcase before ordering more.  Tackling the cabinets is... daunting.  Definitely planning to start small.  :)

Let me know if you try the mantle!  

I'm not sure I'd use it on the kitchen cabinets.  I have used it on a bedframe for my kids.  I actually sealed it with poly because kids are rough on furniture.  I'm just not sure I'd trust the wax on kitchen cabinets that are likely to have liquid spilled down the front at multiple times and get greasy/grimey.  That's just me, maybe it is fine and would hold up great.  I think if you don't want to sand then (the big plus of chalk paint) there are other primer paints you can just paint/spray on.  I'm doing a bookshelf right now (it was unfinished though) and chose olympus one I think its called.  It paints on just as nicely and no top coat needed!

I tried it on bathroom cabinets I planned to throw out.  I didn't do a good job.  It got gunky and it didn't cover an area that was particularly faded.

I think I need lessons.

I would love to do it on my kitchen cabinets!  

UGH.

There are tons of bloggers who have used it and described the process in excruciating detail, but as for waxing, DON'T FEAR THE WAX!  I LOVE wax!  It is so easy and forgiving.  This is not chalk paint, but I will tell you my waxing story anyway:  My early 70s-era home has all of the original interior solid wood doors, and until a couple of years ago, they all had the original stained finish.  Well, after 30+ years of life, the doors were in rough shape.  I tried and tried and tried to find a professional to refinish the doors for me.  No one would even return my calls.  So I finally decided that I would try one, the one in the least-conspicuous place, the one that had deep grooves from a previous owner's dogs.  No way I could make it worse.  I put that baby on saw horses in my garage, sanded the fool out of it and restained it with glorious results, but then--then, I waxed it.  Oh my goodness, I was in love.  The waxing took about 10 minutes, maybe, and it gave the doors such a glow.  There are still flaws in that door--I did not even try to sand out all of the grooves, but it is now "patina," not "junky ugly 70s door."  I did the rest of my doors that summer, and I lived for the final step, applying the wax.  I re-wax about once a year or so, and it still thrills me.  You can not mess up the wax!  If you get too much, wipe it off.  Too little?  Add some more.  I keep looking around the rest of my house for things to wax...

There are tons of bloggers who have used it and described the process in excruciating detail, but as for waxing, DON'T FEAR THE WAX!  I LOVE wax!  It is so easy and forgiving.  This is not chalk paint, but I will tell you my waxing story anyway:  My early 70s-era home has all of the original interior solid wood doors, and until a couple of years ago, they all had the original stained finish.  Well, after 30+ years of life, the doors were in rough shape.  I tried and tried and tried to find a professional to refinish the doors for me.  No one would even return my calls.  So I finally decided that I would try one, the one in the least-conspicuous place, the one that had deep grooves from a previous owner's dogs.  No way I could make it worse.  I put that baby on saw horses in my garage, sanded the fool out of it and restained it with glorious results, but then--then, I waxed it.  Oh my goodness, I was in love.  The waxing took about 10 minutes, maybe, and it gave the doors such a glow.  There are still flaws in that door--I did not even try to sand out all of the grooves, but it is now "patina," not "junky ugly 70s door."  I did the rest of my doors that summer, and I lived for the final step, applying the wax.  I re-wax about once a year or so, and it still thrills me.  You can not mess up the wax!  If you get too much, wipe it off.  Too little?  Add some more.  I keep looking around the rest of my house for things to wax...

Thank you!  This is what I needed to hear!  I don't fear the paint nearly as much as I fear the wax.  Maybe because I've never waxed furniture or anything this way.  I'm not sure.  

I have read so. many. blogs. at this point, it is crazy.  And I've watched a ton of youtube videos.  I think my head might explode if I don't just start painting already.  But the wax part ... it had me worried.  

I'm going to start this weekend - DH thinks I should just start with an out of the way cabinet, and see how it goes.  (The cabinets have to be refinished/painted/replaced, so whatever I do won't make things worse)... I may do a smallish piece of furniture instead though.   Will try to post a picture once something's finished!

Here goes... :)

I haven't used it but I'm thinking about it and stopped in at the local seller. (Oh, I also subjected DH to lots of Youtube videos.)

They had lots of finished pieces and she walked me through the steps. It did seem really simple. She showed me several tables, a few chairs, and an armoire. 

The store here also gives classes. Maybe it would be worth your peace of mind to take one if you can find it nearby.

(Oh, I also subjected DH to lots of Youtube videos.)

:lol: My DH would like to extend his sympathy to yours!  He got off a plane from Dublin, came home and ... watched youtube videos on chalk paint.  He is a trooper!  

We do have a local store, so I may stop in there tomorrow, now that DH is back in town.  

Pictures will be forthcoming, once I tackle the fear of starting!  

Even though there is no "prep" necessary, I would still clean down your kitchen cabinets with TSP before painting.  You just spray it on and clean with wet rag. It will remove oils from fingerprints and cleaners etc..  You can purchase at Lowes or Home Depot.

Only use Annie Sloan if you're going for a distressed look.  When you sand the paint, it will just naturally distress in some areas.  You can make it more distressed if you choose.  I really like the ASCP clear wax too and the special round brush she sells to apply the wax. Do NOT put the wax on thick.  It's much better to put on light layers.  Otherwise, you will get a tacky cabinet.  If you're seeing tiny little wax balls, then your putting on too much.  Light applications are important.

Hope that helps!

What happens if you don't sand it?

I don't think you *have* to sand it, unless you are going for a specific look.  That's according the Purple Painted Lady , whose instructions for use are the most clear and detailed I've found.  

You do need to wax it though, or put on sealer of some kind, and the preferred wax is the one made by Annie Sloan, though I've seen others out there on the web who've used other sealers.  The was is supposed to cure and be very hard, and it's possible to sand that with a very fine grit to get a super high shine, or buff it.

Of course, I haven't used any of it yet, so I don't really know how this works.  :)  I am sitting here staring at two sample pots, the tin of wax and various brushes, waffling about what to do.  Ha!  Just get started already, right?

I plan to clean the cabinets very well with odorless mineral spirits (again, got that info off of the Purple Painted Lady's site), and I am debating about whether my particular cabinets need a coat of shellac.  The story is that no prep is needed for most furniture, etc, but on raw wood or pieces with dark stain, a coat of shellac might help prevent bleed through.  Our cabinets are not dark (they are actually super light "pickled" wood), but the finish is coming off in a few key spots, and I wonder if they might benefit from a coat of shellac.  That's really the part that has me waffling right now, trying to decide.  

Ok, if any one cares... :)

I did one cabinet door! I chose the worst one, to see if I'd need to do the shellac. Nope! Beautiful coverage! 2 coats - perfect! I waxed the door once the second coat dried, and ... Wow! Yay! I am so happy!

So, on to the rest of the kitchen! Woo hoo !

I did one cabinet door! I chose the worst one, to see if I'd need to do the shellac. Nope! Beautiful coverage! 2 coats - perfect! I waxed the door once the second coat dried, and ... Wow! Yay! I am so happy!

:party:

Great! Can't wait to see pics!!!

Ok, here's another update: I've done half the kitchen!  Woo hoo!  It looks amazing.  Really.  I am stunned.  DH is stunned at how quickly it all came together, and how good it looks, too.  He's now shopping for new countertops and a sink.  Ha!  It's like a case of getting a new bathrobe...

I've finished all the lower cabinets, drawers, and a desk area - 2 coats each and one coat of wax.  I waited to do the upper cabinets, thinking we might do a different color on top, but we're going with one color throughout.  We went with duck egg blue, sortof a retro light turquoise.  Love it.  And no bleed through at all, so even without any priming or the shellac - we're good.

It goes on very easily. I've used not quite half a quart so far.  Not much.  

If anyone else is thinking of doing this, 2 tips that have come in handy: on the second coat, keep a jar with about a quarter of an inch of water beside you.  Dip the paintbrush in it, then dip into the paint.  That helps the second coat stay smooth.  

And second is the best waxing tip I've read - it came from this thread!  If there are little balls of wax - it's too much wax.  That was so helpful!  Thank you.  The wax is really cool.

So far... really happy.  :)

Oh, and yes, the texture definitely needs the wax.  I'd call it ... (wait for it!)... chalky without the wax.  Love the wax.  Or any other sealer would probably work, too.  

Tomorrow it's on to the upper cabinets, then more waxing.  Then we decide about distressing.  And ... more waxing.  :)

I'm glad it's going well! I read all the blogs and you tube tutorials for hours and hours, etc. The application was no problem, and my chairs came out great and so did my side piece. BUT do NOT NOT NOT use it on a tabletop that gets a lot of use!!!!!!!!! Mine has lots of knicks and scratches in it, even though I have older kids and we are super careful with it. I'm really unhappy with the tabletop. It doesn't clean up well either, etc., so it's bad for a tabletop.

I used and loved duck egg blue and old white (is that the name) and french linen.

I loved how you can just put it on w/out sanding, but I will say that the waxing is a lot of work to get it right for two layers! It almost evens out w/ sanding, I think-with one, you have the work in the beginning (sanding) and the other you have it at the end (waxing).

Oh, yes - I'm starting to think you are right! This waxing is a lot of work. Whew. It sure looks good though!

I'm sorry about your tabletop. :( I was just reading about finishing tabletops, and thinking that I'd never be able to get one clean. I can't imagine cleaning marker and crayon off of a chalk paint table, and we are the crafty type here. It would drive me crazy. Some people online seem to use another finish - I think it's a polyurethane. A few bloggers used it, anyway. That might be an option, if you were to retry your table.

DH dove in and helped with painting and waxing today. We are about 3/4s finished now, I think. But still a way to go. I'll post pics when it's all done. No one wants to see our kitchen in it's current state! :)