Menu

Tell me we'll get used to it...our new furniture that is.

Rose in BC

We just threw out our couch of 19 years. It had lived its life. We bought new furniture last week and it was delivered today. Ugh, I'm not thrilled....it's bigger than I remember (of course it looked smaller in giant furniture store). I think it'll grow on me but I'm disappointed that I'm not immediately in love.

Today is our 26th anniversary. Furniture is our big splurge.

Anyone have this experience?

Yep, we bought lovely, snuggly leather furniture for our brand new house 13 years ago...only to realize it was really too big for the room. I'm not sure there are couches that would fit us and the room, so we've lived happily with them. Except every so often....

Can you take them back? I often have wished I had sent the loveseat back from this set. Doing that would have given us more flexibility in arranging things. On the other hand, my sons have both loved lounging on that particular piece of furniture.

Happy anniversary!  I agree w/you that you'll get used to it.  It always takes me a while to get comfortable seeing a new piece of furniture in place.  When we got a new tv a couple of years ago, the thing looked HUGE. It now looks normal, if not a little small.   :lol:

For our 25th anniversary last fall, we got a new kitchen table and chairs and they looked weird for a couple of months.  

Happy Anniversary!

We had the same experience - the furniture that seemed so reasonably sized in the huge store seemed to overpower our room at first.  I think it was just such a huge (!) change.  We got used to it.  It grew on us.  Or maybe we just don't notice anymore.   

Give it some time, and hopefully yours will start to seem normal to you, too.

I bet it's beautiful!  Enjoy it.

And have a wonderful anniversary!

Happy Anniversary!

I really liked our living room set at one time--now I can't stand it.

Totally relate.

However, it is what it is. No $ to change it, so I rearrange!

But I'm hopeless at home decor--so I rearrange, and then put it back a day later. :lol:

Maybe you can accessorize with a nice throw or pillow or two.

First, happy anniversary and new furniture!

Second, you're scaring me.

I also just bought new living room (and dining room) furniture.  It's not here yet.  I'm in the process of getting the old stuff out of the house. 

I'm convinced I'll love the dining room set, so no worries there.

The sofa is beautiful, but longer than my current one, which is already sort of almost too long for the room. I compensated for that by getting a smaller accent chair than the one I have now, which also has a pretty big ottoman. I'm hoping that the smaller chair and no ottoman will help with my space issues.

I cannot rearrange because of where everything else is that can't be moved.  Oh, man....I hope I don't hate it! 

Can you get someone in who will give you an honest opinion?  Frankly, I have walked into MANY houses with furniture that is too big for them.  Much, possibly most, new furniture is made for new homes with wide open spaces and ceilings, not for traditional homes with regular-height ceilings and traditionally-sized rooms.  My relatively large (4 br/3 ba house with a basement) house, even with its relatively open floor plan, actually looks best with what Pottery Barn called an "apartment-sized" sofa.  I went about 4" longer, and it is fine, but I couldn't go longer than that, and it was the shortest non-apartment-sized sofa they carry.  If I really thought it was too big, I would cut my losses and take the restocking fee.  But maybe someone else will walk in, tell you you are being silly and make you love it.  I hope so!  I hate buying furniture; it is more stressful to me than buying a car.  I don't care about my car, and I will wear it out in 8 or so years anyway.  Furniture, on the other hand, I expect to have much longer than a car, and it is important to me that I like it.  I hope you come to love it.