Menu

Help! Going to a ball! Clothes needed...

Laura Corin

Calvin's school leaving party is a parents-and-child do, with dinner and dancing.  I haven't needed that kind of clothing.... ever.  

The constraints: I don't wear heels; I'm 5'4" and about 132 pounds; my Lands' End size 8s are loose on me at the moment; I'm long in the leg and don't have much waist (not much length between hips and rib cage);  I like black plus cool colours; I want to look good but not in any way to look as if I'm trying to compete with the young things; I'd like something that is comfortable; I'll be wearing purple glasses and my haircut will be similar to this.  I have very dark hair and eyes, and a pink-and-white complexion.

What would you wear?  If you have any pictures of things that would look good (with flat shoes) then I can look around locally....

Thanks 

L

I don't know about their shipping internationally, but I can attest to the fact that www.shoebuy.com has had some wonderful low heel and fairly flat dressy shoes. I buy all my dress shoes from them now because they also carry narrow, wide, and extra wide which isn't easy to find around here.

Would a dress like this work?

http://www.lightinthebox.com/sheath-column-sweetheart-spaghetti-straps-floor-length-chiffon-bridesmaid-dress_p518679.html

Maybe you could ask some mothers of previous graduates if black tie also means floor length or if a really nice cocktail dress will do. If the invitations specifically say black tie, I do have to say I'm leaning towards floor length.

I don't know enough to make recommendations for your specific body type, but having been to a number of military balls, I would say that anything black and long would probably work. If this is a one time event I would not invest in anything too splashy as a simple black gown can be dressed up or down with accessories for different occasions. The longer the dress the less shoes are going to be an issue IMHO.

I am only 5'1" and busty. Anything like an empire waist tends to make me look heavier than I am. The types of dresses that work best on me are actually the type that emphasize my waist. A wrap dress or faux wrap dress or dress with a wide sash around the waist is what looks best. One of my favorite recent dresses has a black fitted top with silver bottom (I know, these are technical terms from a real fashion maven, lol!). It is sort of like this one, but with long sleeves and a longer silver skirt:

http://www.overstock.com/#/8689464/product.html

That is lovely, age appropriate and you could wear it with flats. :D

Ooooh, I like this one too:

http://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Eliza+J+Embroidered+Hem+Cuff+Dress/180901758,default,pd.html

eta: I have a ball to attend next month, so this one is tempting me a little. But, I already have a dress that none of the people here have seen, so, I probably shouldn't. It would be tea length on me because I'm so short.

eta: I have a ball to attend next month, so this one is tempting me a little. But, I already have a dress that none of the people here have seen, so, I probably shouldn't. It would be tea length on me because I'm so short.

I loved that one too, but not so much with the purple glasses...

L

I LOVE that dress! I want it for myself. 

That said,I think the idea of looking at photos from previous years sounds good. To my mind, there is a BIG difference between a dress for black tie dinner and dancing versus an actual ball gown

Some of the one here (I goggled Harrods evening gown)are more what I mean.

http://www.jjshouse.com/tag/H/Harrods-Evening-Gowns

Since your example had long sleeves,I looked at this, on sale for less than $150.

Or, if you don't need something so ball-gowny, you could look for something with an elaborate beaded top or even a long black skirt with a brocade jacket. I have some brocade jackets and also a close fitting, no collar, waist length black velvet jacket with gold trim that got a lot of use in the days when I gad a social life, lol. 

9/11/2014 deleted photos as per SWB request

The above popped up in a search, but I think collarless would be better, to allow for important jewelry.

I LOVE that dress! I want it for myself. 

That said,I think the idea of looking at photos from previous years sounds good. To my mind, there is a BIG difference between a dress for black tie dinner and dancing versus an actual ball gown

I had a look back through Facebook.  The pictures I saw had the boys in black tie and the girls in full length but not serious ball-gowns.  No pictures of parents, funnily enough....  I might try to bump into the headmaster's wife.  I know her a little and her daughter left the school a couple of years ago, so she should have experience.

The ticket doesn't mention dress.  It just says 'XXXXX School Leavers' Ball.  7pm drinks, 8pm dinner and dancing, 12.30 carriages.'

L

Something that start with drinks and ends shortly after midnight doesn't sound as though it truly requires a ball gown, imho. Sometimes the kids at these things put in a lot more effort dressing that do the parents. Hope you can get some reliable guidance!

How stressful!

ETA I remember having to get a dress for Glyndebourne once -- dressy, but not evening. It was pre-internet days, but thank goodness there were photographs in  a British cookbook I had (the picnic chapter). Clothes can be such a minefield. (I say this as a non-fashionista who buys most of her wardrobe at the local camping store, lol.)

Calvin asked for me - apparently most people went floor length last year but there was a mix, with more of the non-UK Europeans going with cocktail length.  I think I would be more comfortable in cocktail - I only wear dresses about once a decade and I can't imagine coping with a full-length thingy.

What colour of ballet flats - black dress with diamante buttons?  Black, silver, a colour?

L

I just had to come see what I knew would be links to great gowns.  I also love lurking in posts about dresses for mother of the groom/bride.   So here I am virtually window shopping with you all.  :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

That's exactly why I had to check in on this thread!  Window shopping!  Fun.  :)

Calvin asked for me - apparently most people went floor length last year but there was a mix, with more of the non-UK Europeans going with cocktail length.  I think I would be more comfortable in cocktail - I only wear dresses about once a decade and I can't imagine coping with a full-length thingy.

What colour of ballet flats - black dress with diamante buttons?  Black, silver, a colour?

L

How would you feel about a shiny red for a pop of color?

I think I tend to feel that metallic flats look a little juvenile, but I might be sensitive to that because I'm only 5 feet tall, lol.

These flats are fun with the cutouts:

http://www.zappos.com/johnston-murphy-tami-laser-ballet-black-suede

How would you feel about a shiny red for a pop of color?

I think I tend to feel that metallic flats look a little juvenile, but I might be sensitive to that because I'm only 5 feet tall, lol.

These flats are fun with the cutouts:

http://www.zappos.com/johnston-murphy-tami-laser-ballet-black-suede

I could always go with purple....  I like the cutouts though.

L

I have no events to go to, but I think I will hire Mrs. Mungo to be my personal shopper when I get to that station in life where I need one. She's got some good picks. Of she's got other skills and probably won't want that job.

I've attended a LOT of events over the years. I know what looks good on real people in real life. If you become a megastar or hit the lotto and need a stylist, then I would be happy to help. Can I do all of the shopping online though? I really don't like dealing with salespeople, lol.

I've attended a LOT of events over the years. I know what looks good on real people in real life. If you become a megastar or hit the lotto and need a stylist, then I would be happy to help. Can I do all of the shopping online though? I really don't like dealing with salespeople, lol.

You got it. 

Now, to buy those lottery tickets...

If I ever get to coordinate high end weddings within the black tie crowd, I'm hiring Mrs. Mungo to help me shop for clothes!