Menu

What are the odds? Peanut butter recall round two and you won't believe this.

KatieJ

A couple of  years ago I was attending a weekend retreat and made a no bake cookie with Kirkland brand  peanut butter.  One woman in our group got quite ill over the course of the weekend we thought due to an allegic reation to a bee sting she got before arriving and then the subsequent meds after over the weekend.  Eventually I found out that the peanut butter I had used has been recalled.  I told my friends, one of whom was this woman who just kept having issues after that weekend.  Her Dr. said it very well could have been the peanut butter.  No one else got even remotely ill.

Now, fast forward to this weekend.Saturday afternoon my Husband sends me a text the Costco had just called and that the Parker's Farm natural peanut butter had been recalled due to Listeria and please return for a refund and stop eating it immediately.

Yup, I had made treats with that peantu butter and served them at my cropping retreat over the weekend.

That same woman was there, and yup, she had eaten one.

What are the odds??????????????  I should have been in Vegas this weekend.

Guest submarines

With those odds both of you should be either playing the lottery more often, or at least writing a story. Or a murder mystery. :w00t:

Are you sure that woman ate your cookies? Because if I were her,  I wouldn't have. :tongue_smilie:

ETA: I'm not being snarky. I is just if I got that severely sick from eating peanut butter cookies I wouldn't be eating them again. I hope she is is okay.

I am so very not sure that she actually got sick from my peanut butter cookies.  she had been stung by a bee earlier and was just acting weird according to someone else.  she told them, well, it might be the bee sting.  Her husband was then told about it and he took her to ER.  They gave her lots of meds, and she was throwing up that night.  No one is sure if it was the bee sting reaction, the meds they gave her, or what.  I Personally think her Dr. was frustrated and agreed to blame the peanut butter.  She was over the whole thing by then and in for a followup/well visit.

There were many others at both events and no one else got sick. She only ate one tiny one, the rest of us finished off the Tupperware. But still, what are the odds I buy two different brands of peanut butter, bake two different recipes completely with them, and serve them to the same group of people two years apart.

Cropping retreat totally should have been in Vegas.

A couple of years ago I was attending a weekend retreat and made a no bake cookie with Kirkland brand peanut butter. One woman in our group got quite ill over the course of the weekend we thought due to an allegic reation to a bee sting she got before arriving and then the subsequent meds after over the weekend. Eventually I found out that the peanut butter I had used has been recalled. I told my friends, one of whom was this woman who just kept having issues after that weekend. Her Dr. said it very well could have been the peanut butter. No one else got even remotely ill.

Now, fast forward to this weekend.Saturday afternoon my Husband sends me a text the Costco had just called and that the Parker's Farm natural peanut butter had been recalled due to Listeria and please return for a refund and stop eating it immediately.

Yup, I had made treats with that peantu butter and served them at my cropping retreat over the weekend.

That same woman was there, and yup, she had eaten one.

What are the odds?????????????? I should have been in Vegas this weekend.

I know this isn't funny, I really do hope the woman is fine, but wow! I hope it can be turned into one of those laugh-later situations:)

But advice? If she ever bakes you something, say for Christmas or other, I think you should thank her politely...and consign it to the rubbish bin as soon as possible, lol:)

or Chocolate chips.  Chocolate chips never go bad. . . .

I'll have to take you at your word for that, because I've never had chocolate chips in the house long enough for them to go bad.

Sometimes they don't even make it all the way home from the store. :)

I have had choc chips either go bad or be contaminated with something. I opened and bag and gagged at the smell. I mentioned it to a neighbor and she had had the same experience. The grocery store was very gracious and replaced them.

As far as I'm concerned, gracious isn't good enough.

Selling bad chocolate chips deserves prison time!!!!!!! ;)

I'd stop buying peanut butter from your Costco.  No wonder they get their peanut butter cheap!  

This! I stopped buying peanut butter from costco a long time ago after the first recall.

I hope your friend is OK. If others also ate those treats and nothing has happened, chances are that she will be fine.

PS: If I were you, I would stop making peanut butter treats for gatherings. I would start making oatmeal raisin cookies!

I'd stop buying peanut butter from your Costco.  No wonder they get their peanut butter cheap!  

This! I stopped buying peanut butter from costco a long time ago after the first recall.

I hope your friend is OK. If others also ate those treats and nothing has happened, chances are that she will be fine.

PS: If I were you, I would stop making peanut butter treats for gatherings. I would start making oatmeal raisin cookies!

Seriously?  This is not about Costco peanut butter.

The peanut butter recall from October of 2012 included brands sold at Aldis, Trader Joes, Walmart, Kroeger, Whole Foods.  It included over 400 products, only one of which was Kirkland peanut butter from  Costco.

The current recall is from Parker Farms, a Minnesota based company and includes not only their peanut butter, but their salsa, and many cheese products. THese products were sold at Cub, HyVee, Rainbow, Byerlys, Whole Foods, Target, Aldi, etc.

Costco called us directly and will follow up with a letter.  I have not heard that Trader Joes, Walmart, Kroeger or  Whole foods, Aldi does that.

Costco still gets my business, including peanut butter. Just not this week.  :mellow: ,

PS..........my friend is fine.