Menu

Birthday disappointment

PollyOR

Sorry, sorry, sorry!   I got you mixed up with a Kiwi boardie.  I know you're not a Kiwi.  Please accept my most sincere apologies!  But I still don't understand any of the words you wrote.  Please explain!

:lol: Now apologise to the Kiwis! :lol:

I was merely telling Melissa I might consider dropping in, the route I planned to take, roughly when, and what she could feed me when I arrived.

Obviously. :p :rofl:

I let DH know how upset I was and he has now agreed to go to Olive Garden the evening after my birthday.  Honestly, I'm not even sure I want to go anymore.  

:grouphug:   :grouphug:   :grouphug: 

So sorry. Happy belated birthday. I would feel the same way - not sure about wanting to go :closedeyes: . 

The words make no sense to me!  Are you speaking some secret Kiwi language?

translation

some time between fire and snow- between the fire season - late summer and the snow season  in the mountains -winter

Rosie might drop in for a hot chocolate drink

She is planning on going driving with her brother over the alpine road- (over the mountains) and will possibly drive past my area on her way to  have a look (stickybeak) at a town called Mallacoota

:biggrinjester:   Happy 50th Birthday   :party:

:grouphug:  to all those with clueless husbands.  I have one of those myself.  He will forget my birthday, valentines, our anniversary but he will remember his and talk about/tell me what he wants for his birthday.  Has told me before "you can get me ____ for valentines" then not get me anything.   Christmas he tells me "just pick out something you want, buy it and wrap it :glare:

As dss have gotten older near Christmas they have started telling him "hey we need to go get something for mom."  Sometimes he tells them he "ordered" something (meaning he told me to pick out my gift). 

Other times he will actually take the boys to the store to buy a gift but he has no clue what so ever what to get me.  The boys generally pick it out. 

I am proud to say that near Christmas they start really paying attention to things I pick up and make comments about in the store. 

I generally get something I mentioned liking or needing if they pick it out.

I have a dh who will do just the kind of things yours has done.

You must go. For yourself. For that little five-year-old inside who is still very much alive in your fifty-year-old body. I turn 50 in July and I'm prepped for my dh to do "a lot" in his mind and very little in mine.'

Please go. And please go to Redenvelope.com and buy yourself a beautiful bracelet. There's a new one you can have engraved. I sent it to my good friend who is turning 50 at the end of March it says: oyeawerck! (I had to write it like a license plate -- they only allowed so many letters.)

You're celebrating for the little-you inside. Go -- and dress up with earrings and anything that makes you feel special!

Alley

Maybe it's just my personality and this wouldn't work for everyone but here's what I do.  (I don't need or even want a big birthday to-do but I want something!)

About two weeks before my birthday I start making subtle hints.  

"DH I want to go to BLAH BLAH BLAH on my birthday.  Do you have anything going on Saturday?  Does Sunday work?  Okay.  I'll put it on the calendar."

About a week before I continue with my subtle hints.

"DH I would love a new rosary or scarf or book for my birthday."

That same day I also make some subtle hints to DD.  She holds birthdays and the like to be important so she always makes something and encourages DH to get out and shop.

"DD I would love a scarf for my birthday.  Casually mention that to your dad.  They have lots of options at Target."

The day before my birthday.

"DH please stop at Whole Foods on your way home and pick up a cake.  It's all reserved under your name.  Just go to the bakery."

Then magically on my birthday I have a cake, a present, and plans for dinner.  I know this wouldn't work for some people who want their DHs to put more effort into being thoughtful but this ensures that you have a fun birthday.  

HAPPY BIRTHDAY POLLY!

Happy 50th birthday!  I think your dh has blown it and I would not hesitate to carry on without him.  Let him enjoy his pinebox idiocy.  Here's what I would do:

Day 1:  pick up balloons and cake and take over to visit the grandchildren and let them sing to you.  Also pick up flowers to take home.  Don't invite dh.

Day 2:  Go out with the girls for pedicures and massages, then Olive Garden for dinner, and then top it off with a decadent desert.

Take lots of pictures at all events, and make a mini scrapbook out of them entitled my 50th birthday celebrations.  Don't mention dh in the book.

Maybe he'll come around and do better for your 51st, or maybe he won't, but you've got to not let his lack of birthday ability/interest affect your celebration.

Update - for anyone interested.

• I woke up to a very nice gift from DH.  He bought me a new bird feeder along with bird seed and a container to store it in.  This was to replace to the bird feeder he took down a few years ago because it whacked him in the head when he was mowing.
  • My 15yo wrote a two page thank you note and hid it in my laptop.
  • 18yo gave me a gift card to Panera because she knows I love their cinnamon rolls.
  • I drove an hour to visit the nearest Barnes & Noble!  The drive down was beautiful even though it was the interstate: sunny day, lush green fields, daffodils, and grazing sheep. 
  • I spent the afternoon and evening with my married daughter and her family.  She was excited to show me the house they are trying to buy.
  • I came home late to a dark house.  I found two bouquets of flowers (black :laugh: from my sister and spring flowers :) from DH) on the dining room table.  DH and 12yo had cleared the table.  It is usually covered with DH's electronic projects.
  • DH was a bit grumpy about driving the 45 minutes to Olive Garden the next evening but he got over it quickly.

It turned out to be a great couple of days.  I wish DH would have done these things on his own and not because he was trying redeem himself.  Now I know that next year I need to plan my own birthday (bookstore!) and realize DH probably won't do as well as he did this year.  Gotta keep my expectations realistic. 

Update - for anyone interested.

• I woke up to a very nice gift from DH.  He bought me a new bird feeder along with bird seed and a container to store it in.  This was to replace to the bird feeder he took down a few years ago because it whacked him in the head when he was mowing.
  • My 15yo wrote a two page thank you note and hid it in my laptop.
  • 18yo gave me a gift card to Panera because she knows I love their cinnamon rolls.
  • I drove an hour to visit the nearest Barnes & Noble!  The drive down was beautiful even though it was the interstate: sunny day, lush green fields, daffodils, and grazing sheep. 
  • I spent the afternoon and evening with my married daughter and her family.  She was excited to show me the house they are trying to buy.
  • I came home late to a dark house.  I found two bouquets of flowers (black :laugh: from my sister and spring flowers :) from DH) on the dining room table.  DH and 12yo had cleared the table.  It is usually covered with DH's electronic projects.
  • DH was a bit grumpy about driving the 45 minutes to Olive Garden the next evening but he got over it quickly.

It turned out to be a great couple of days.  I wish DH would have done these things on his own and not because he was trying redeem himself.  Now I know that next year I need to plan my own birthday (bookstore!) and realize DH probably won't do as well as he did this year.  Gotta keep my expectations realistic. 

I'm glad you had a great birthday after all.

Happy birthday!

:lol: Now apologise to the Kiwis! :lol:

I was merely telling Melissa I might consider dropping in, the route I planned to take, roughly when, and what she could feed me when I arrived.

Obviously. :p :rofl:

Well, crap.  I didn't mean to offend any Kiwis.  All I said was I got you mixed up, with some Kiwis on the board.  Sheesh.  

I've read the translation of your sentence, but still, those are crazy words!