Menu

so... when did/will you begin your school year? nt

I prefer to take August and most of September off, as those are generally the most pleasant months here, weather-wise. Schools aren't in session until the end of August, either. We'll be in Europe for the first few weeks of September this year and will ease back into things when we get back.

this week. :tongue_smilie: Most counties around us started back today, our county starts back on Friday and most private schools have been hard at it for a week or more. We've started a few things, and we'll continue to ramp up as soon as I can get used to getting my little self out of bed earlier.

Lisa

We'll start officially mid-Sept. Maybe later if we have an Indian summer :)

Isn't it funny to hear people talk of starting school in late July or early August? Definitely not the school season here! (Although today is rather "blah". I loved that hot, sunny weather all last week at the fair!:))

Today!

We had the BEST 1st day. My kids were so good and interested in what we were doing. They just told me how great a day it was and I asked "what made it so great?" They said it was fun...I have no clue why it was fun, except that we all worked together and I was involved the whole time. Caitlyn is SO interested in the Ancient Egyptians that she is now doing "extra work" deciphering hieroglyphs in a book for fun!

I loved watching her go through our books and choose ones to look at on her own.

If only all days could be so good and productive.

And that will depend on the weather, my mood, how long it takes us to put up the garden and orchard, and how long it takes me to get a little bit of organizing done.

During the last two weeks though I had all the younger kids out of the house for swimming lessons for most of the day and the older boys used the peace and quiet to get a head start on math and science. I know they'll continue to work on what they started in between harvest and fun.

I recall you used Lightning Lit in the past. Is it still part of the mix?

Hi Colleen,

Lightning Lit was a lifesaver for me for a few years when we were extra busy with a lot of extracurricular stuff (dh and I were leading a speech club and the kids were doing a lot with music lessons and we were doing way too many 4-H projects, etc.) We appreciated the way LL was all laid out for us and so conducive to self-study. Overall it was a great success, and dd felt it helped prepare her for college level writing assignments.

When thegreatbooks.com came into being, the older kids asked to do that. Not because they didn't like LL, but because they are such Worldview Academy enthusiasts and appreciate the approach that Jeff Baldwin takes with literature. I'm not as busy as I was a few years ago and have really enjoyed the interaction we have with Baldwin's discussion guides.

In short, we were all very happy with LL, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it (or use it again myself), but thegreatbooks.com is a better fit for our family right now. Are you thinking about using LL?

We had our "official" start last Monday on August 11th, with 2 days a week for the 2 weeks prior.

Our local schools don't start back until the day after Labor Day & that has been my usual start date as well, but we had so much time off for lots of life last year and didn't finish what I wanted to accomplish for the year. Add to that not enough organized summer activity and too much gaming and I'd had enough summer "vacation."

We mostly picked up where we left off at the end of May. We're still finishing Sonlight's Eastern Hemisphere Core. We'll finish as much as I think I want to and then start this year's history study, which will be 20th Century in Oct. Everything else just continues on from where we stopped.

...but like Colleen, we ease into the school year. I started my 3ds in three of their subjects and will add one or two this next week. My daughter will return from Europe next week so will start her online class then. Everything will probably be in gear for everyone by the third week if it goes according to plan.

A variety of start dates for my daughter ...

September 2 for AP Statistics through PA Homeschoolers

September 8 for our homeschooling resource center

September 29 for community college classes

I'll be providing a list of to do items on September 3rd (some college application essays, some good reading, etc.), and there will be some college visits before the full schedule goes into effect in late September.

Regards,

Kareni