Menu

Bedwetting in hotels

Scarlett

I am sooooo irritated.  I called the hotel we are going to be at this weekend and asked for some consideration for my 12 yo bedwetter.  You know, like, say a plastic mattress cover?  Their answer?  No we don't have any of those.  If the mattress gets damaged we just replace it.

Really?  That makes sense to anyone? 

You're just one of the few who are considerate enough to ask about protecting their mattresses. 

And now I'm thinking about all the hotel mattresses at, say, Disney World, that have not been protected by waterproof mattress pads. Why in the world would hotels NOT use them??

You're just one of the few who are considerate enough to ask about protecting their mattresses. 

And now I'm thinking about all the hotel mattresses at, say, Disney World, that have not been protected by waterproof mattress pads. Why in the world would hotels NOT use them??

Exactly.  Especially when someone is ASKING for them.  They want me to bring my own.  Which means I either bring one that gets thrown away or I take a urine soaked plastic cover back home.

Yes we will be bringing our own.  Still very annoying.  I can't believe this is the only bedwetter in the world who is staying in a hotel.

You're just the only one honest enough to bring it up.  That's the problem…they're not used to that.

With DS, we used to bring Goodnites and a mattress pad (kind that lies on top).  They (GoodNites) also came out with an adhesive disposable mattress pad, but I don't know if it was successful and is still available. 

You're just the only one honest enough to bring it up.  That's the problem…they're not used to that.

With DS, we used to bring Goodnites and a mattress pad (kind that lies on top).  They (GoodNites) also came out with an adhesive disposable mattress pad, but I don't know if it was successful and is still available. 

Well, we have the pad and the Goodnights with the velcro.  It isn't enough to ensure the mattress won't get wet.  He is a BIG 12 yo and he has more urine in a single night than most people have in 3 days.  It is a big problem and he has a stupid mother...but I digress.

I will just take the pads, the Goodnights pad with velcro and a plastic mattress cover we can throw away if it gets wet. 

Exactly. Especially when someone is ASKING for them. They want me to bring my own. Which means I either bring one that gets thrown away or I take a urine soaked plastic cover back home.

Grab a package of disposable pads. You could also grab some medical diapers that hold more. My 9 year old out-peed good nights YEARS ago! Diaper/pull up tip: boy "parts" tend to stand up and lay pointing towards the top of the diaper. When they pee, it soaks that little bit of material before creeping out the top. You need a diaper or pull up that goes higher on the belly. Near or above belly button. Another thing you can do is add a booster pad (like depends) inside the pull up horizontally across the top.

Also bring a few washables and a tiny container of laundry soap. Soak the bed pad in the sink with the soap and it won't stink when you get back home.

Well, we have the pad and the Goodnights with the velcro. It isn't enough to ensure the mattress won't get wet. He is a BIG 12 yo and he has more urine in a single night than most people have in 3 days. It is a big problem and he has a stupid mother...but I digress.

I will just take the pads, the Goodnights pad with velcro and a plastic mattress cover we can throw away if it gets wet.

Stick one goodnight pad on top of the sheet, but under the sheet, layer 4-5 disposables.

If he doesn't leak too much, great. The goodnight pad may work. But if he leaks heavy, the others will protect the mattress.

Another option you might want to consider is going to a local medical supply place and asking for small ADULT size overnight pulls ups.  They might hold a lot more than the Goodnight ones.  We used men's adult overnight depends for our foster son who was a very heavy wetter as well.  Those I got at Walmart.  Or you could try doubling them up......the good night on first and then a slightly larger Depends over the top.  As someone else pointed out though, during the night the "aim" might adjust which makes it harder to contain the urine.

I always bring a plastic mattress cover. 

I often travel (by car) with an air mattress and pump. That way no one has to share a bed. The child who is likely to wet sleeps on the air mattress. 

If I travel by plane, I pack a plastic mattress cover or plan on stopping at a Target. 

It's probably cheaper to replace the occasional soggy mattress than to launder a jillion waterproof mattress covers every day.  We have waterproof mattress covers on all our beds and they take up quite a bit of room in the washer. 

Oh, I didn't realize those were removed and washed. I thought they were sprayed with Lysol or something and wiped down.   

We use the Goodnight velcro pads.  Not the Goodnight diapers.  We have some adult diapers because he is a big boy but he all but refuses to wear them.  I hope dh will make him while we are in a hotel. 

We have also used the blow up mattress several times when in other people's homes.  We need a new one but for this weekend I will just take a plastic mattress cover, and pads.  And adult diaper too. I am having him throw his sleep clothes away after Saturday night in hotel..he has a really ratty set that need to go anyway.

When we stayed in hotels I would bring soaker pads, the type you buy in medical supply stores.  If he wet at night it caught everything and I would just put it in a plastic shopping bag and tie it off to bring home.  I found them to be more durable than the disposable ones and stayed in place at night and had a bigger surface area to protect the mattress.  We used them at home too, I would just do a bleach load to wash them all.  It worked well.  He also uses DDVAP when staying overnight away from home as an extra precaution.  We are down to about 1 night a month now that he wets, so it is getting to be less of an issue but until he is done for good any sleeping away from home is a soaker pad and DDVAP

Yeah, I just don't think I can adequately convey how much 'wet' there is.

I am sure I can imagine.  My bedwetter is a 15 yr old, 140lb boy, that is a lot of wet.  The soaker pad still contains it.  The ones we have are what they use in hospitals.

I am sure I can imagine.  My bedwetter is a 15 yr old, 140lb boy, that is a lot of wet.  The soaker pad still contains it.  The ones we have are what they use in hospitals.

I have a soaker pad....I should start having him use it at home.  For the hotel I will just use a plastic mattress cover and disposable pads.

My bed wetter weighs 200.

When I was a kid i slept on a shower curtin and two sheets.  I didnt have pull up. the bed was always protected and you can get them for a few bucks now a days so dont bring it home throw away.  That is what we did from my dd at disnesy at  when she was 3.  She had a pull up a washable chuck (pee sheet) and a shower curtian 

the kids that are older than 10 have they been checked for sleep apnea? 

My son uses medical grade diapers from North Shore Care Supply; they can accommodate a 200 pounder. I wet the bed until I was almost 11, so did my daughter, and I assume my son (9) will be the same way also. My son is a big 9 year old though, and I had to find something other than GoodNights or Depends for him. We use the Abena brand diaper, and dang, those babies don't leak at all! If you call them, they will send you free samples based on your needs and his size, so you can try before you buy (they aren't cheap).

Cool,site thank you.

When I was a kid i slept on a shower curtin and two sheets. I didnt have pull up. the bed was always protected and you can get them for a few bucks now a days so dont bring it home throw away. That is what we did from my dd at disnesy at when she was 3. She had a pull up a washable chuck (pee sheet) and a shower curtian

the kids that are older than 10 have they been checked for sleep apnea?

Not ours. We are in the process of forcing his mom to get medical care.

Scarlett, I've said it before but this just breaks my heart. My DS is the same age and I can't imagine what this is doing to that boy's self-esteem. His mother!! I'd love to have a word or two with her!! He is so lucky to have you and your DH to advocate for him.

Yes we will be bringing our own.  Still very annoying.  I can't believe this is the only bedwetter in the world who is staying in a hotel.

No, I am sure he is not the only one; in fact, I have often wondered myself why they don't have waterproof mattress covers as a matter of course.

I have to admit that the bedwetting thing never even occurred to me, and we stay in a lot of hotels. :eek:

I will never look at hotel beds the same way again. :ack2:

Thank you, Scarlett, for trying to be considerate of both the hotel's property and of the hotel guests who will use that bed after your family checks out. It's very kind of you.

Not ours. We are in the process of forcing his mom to get medical care.

That's horrible that you even have to force it.  You would think she would want to help him.  Our ped put things off until ds begged for help, I had been asking for it but he kept saying ds would grow out of it.  At 13 when he still hadn't ds spoke up for himself.  He was screened for sleep apnea with a sleep study, been the urologist and ENT related to this.  In the end the ped was right, ds is simply out growing it, he has no apnea, the ENT and urologist could find no reason for it.  He is just a developing that control late (like most other control in his life which is also late in development).  He takes it in stride and pretty much all his friends know, the cadets know etc.  He doesn't hide it, it just is what it is.

But I could not imagine having to be forced to get him medical care.  How could she not want to do everything possible to help him?  I am glad you and your dh are there to ensure that happens.  

Just replying to watch this thread for more suggestions.

I have a huge 9 year old. He's slowly learning to wake up when he needs to pee, but he still wets the bed about 1 night in 3. and when he does, watch out. He wears men's depends AND sleeps on a soaker pad... it still goes right through. And that's WITH us waking him up at midnight (when we go to bed) to take him to the washroom.

Just replying to watch this thread for more suggestions.

I have a huge 9 year old. He's slowly learning to wake up when he needs to pee, but he still wets the bed about 1 night in 3. and when he does, watch out. He wears men's depends AND sleeps on a soaker pad... it still goes right through. And that's WITH us waking him up at midnight (when we go to bed) to take him to the washroom.

Dss12 was 9 when dh and I got married. He will be 13 in a few weeks. He had been dry since he was a toddler. The bed wetting started after his mom divorced dh and moved the boys in with another man.

Your ds sounds like dss. We have tried before to get him up at midnight, 2, and , 4. By 6 he had soaked himself. So we gave up on that idea. Poor kid NEVER gets enough sleep because he is wet most of the night. If he naps during the day he wets. My theory is that if he would wear a depend or even 2 he could at least sleep through the night.

To me there is more going on than just a kid who can't wake up. My ds14 sleeps soundly too. He RARELY gets up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. And he can sleep until 10. Poor dss never gets to sleep in. I think he lies in bed wet until it is time to get up. The question is why so much urine? I have researched it to death and the way the kidneys work is that when we go to sleep a hormone is released that tells the kidneys to slow down urine production. I believe dss doesn't have enough of that hormone. That is my theory.

So to me dss is not a normal case of a sound sleeper who wets the bed.

I urge you to take your ds in now to be evaluated.

I will spare you my opinion (again) regarding using the Enuresis Treatment Center to alleviate the issues altogether.

When we were in hotels (a LOT), we would use a cut open plastic trashbag under the sheets and other protective measures.  Like you, I just didn't want to risk getting the mattress wet despite a huge amount of urine.  

I will spare you my opinion (again) regarding using the Enuresis Treatment Center to alleviate the issues altogether.

When we were in hotels (a LOT), we would use a cut open plastic trashbag under the sheets and other protective measures. Like you, I just didn't want to risk getting the mattress wet despite a huge amount of urine.

Pamela, I did read quite a bit about that and showed it to dh. But if we can't even get xw to take him to the urologist I know we can't get her to do that program. Not to mention it would require consistency at her house since he is there most of the time.

Scarlett, I've said it before but this just breaks my heart. My DS is the same age and I can't imagine what this is doing to that boy's self-esteem. His mother!! I'd love to have a word or two with her!! He is so lucky to have you and your DH to advocate for him.

Thank you. Yes it is pretty bad. I don't know what is wrong with her.

Grab a package of disposable pads. You could also grab some medical diapers that hold more. My 9 year old out-peed good nights YEARS ago! Diaper/pull up tip: boy "parts" tend to stand up and lay pointing towards the top of the diaper. When they pee, it soaks that little bit of material before creeping out the top. You need a diaper or pull up that goes higher on the belly. Near or above belly button. Another thing you can do is add a booster pad (like depends) inside the pull up horizontally across the top.

Also bring a few washables and a tiny container of laundry soap. Soak the bed pad in the sink with the soap and it won't stink when you get back home.

Agree with this. I'd get some adult diapers or pullups for your trip. I have a 12 year old who is in diapers all the time and is a heavy wetter. He's been in adult diapers since he's about 4.

amo_mea_filiis! THANK YOU for the part I highlighted in red. The obvious completely goes over my head at times. This is a brilliant idea :hurray:  We use the boosters in the regular area but this is genius!

Scarlett - :grouphug:  and kudos to you for advocating for this boy!

I am his step mom and my input is somewhat limited. Dss just about melts down if dh tries to get him to wear an adult depends...I don't understand why being soaked is less humiliating to him than wearing a diaper. Dh is reluctant to force him because he is with us so little.

I am his step mom and my input is somewhat limited. Dss just about melts down if dh tries to get him to wear an adult depends...I don't understand why being soaked is less humiliating to him than wearing a diaper. Dh is reluctant to force him because he is with us so little.

:grouphug:  :grouphug: I'm so sorry - what a difficult situation for you all. :grouphug: