Menu

Moms of 8ish year old girls, help me with a project, pretty please?

Jen in NY

I am making a large basket for a fundraiser, and it is going to include matching outfits for girls and American Girl Dolls. I am going to make a black and white polka-dot sundress with bright pink ribbon ties, comfy PJ's, and probably a 'Laura Ingalls' style dress for dress up, plus some accessories.

My question: what size should I make the girl clothes? I am imagining the average age of a girl that plays with AG Dolls is 8... and that the clothing I make will be slightly adjustable...

What size is your 8 (or 9) year old? I can't remember what size my girls were at that age.

Thanks for your help and any suggestions to make this an awesome basket that you would like to bid on. We want to make a lot of money! :)

I am making a large basket for a fundraiser, and it is going to include matching outfits for girls and American Girl Dolls. I am going to make a black and white polka-dot sundress with bright pink ribbon ties, comfy PJ's, and probably a 'Laura Ingalls' style dress for dress up, plus some accessories.

My question: what size should I make the girl clothes? I am imagining the average age of a girl that plays with AG Dolls is 8... and that the clothing I make will be slightly adjustable...

What size is your 8 (or 9) year old? I can't remember what size my girls were at that age.

Thanks for your help and any suggestions to make this an awesome basket that you would like to bid on. We want to make a lot of money! :)

You're making me sniffly...because for DD, 8 years old was long ago.

BUT! We are still huge AG fans so...

My suggestion is a tiered ruffled skirt with an elastic waist. I think that would be very flexible size-wise. I'd shoot for a size 10.

My suggestion is a tiered ruffled skirt with an elastic waist. I think that would be very flexible size-wise. I'd shoot for a size 10.

Oooo... good idea! Maybe with a white tee shirt to go with....

Dd turns 8 next month. She's a size 7/8, and I'd guess most of her friends are the same.

Thanks!

My dd is 9 and has been in 8/10's for a while (since about 8 1/2). Girls vary a ton starting about 8 I think? She has friends in 12+ and tiny friends too. I like the idea of using patterns with somewhat flexible sizing. Elastic waist would be great both on a skirt and jammies. Ribbon ties on a sundress are adjustable too!

What a fun idea - you should post pictures for us when you're done. :)

Dd turned 9 a couple months ago. She wears size 8 pants and 10-12 tops. She's tall and slim so while the pants fit fine and are just long enough, they still have to be cinched in at the waist. She's about 4-1/2 feet tall, waist 22", chest 25". HTH

Yes! And since, I'm better at ideas than execution (hahahaha), an appliqué made with a piece of the skirt material (like a heart!)

LOL.... I have actually been in this movie before... I made 12or so 'pettiskirts' for my dd's tap class one year... zebra and turquoise, with a turquoise tulle underskirt... a million yards of 6" tulle for each skirt. That was a fun project!

like this, but turquoise, and you know.... large enough for teenagers:

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTQoxDRNe2UzOH2CkgVPeScCSnW9QVXgDWuLTM4CXzgG5vaKsVnRg

LOL.... I have actually been in this movie before... I made 12or so 'pettiskirts' for my dd's tap class one year... zebra and turquoise, with a turquoise tulle underskirt... a million yards of 6" tulle for each skirt. That was a fun project!

like this, but turquoise, and you know.... large enough for teenagers:

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTQoxDRNe2UzOH2CkgVPeScCSnW9QVXgDWuLTM4CXzgG5vaKsVnRg

I'm impressed!

Those are darling!

You are right on target with this plan, OP. The girls are going to go crazy for this basket!

My DD is not a huge AG fan, but she is a huge dress-up fan (even at age 9). Her two favorite items are:

1. An AG nightgown that looks pretty simple. Here's a picture: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/321324874632?lpid=82

2. A prairie style dress with pinafore that we got off Etsy for her Anne of Green Gables Halloween costume: http://www.etsy.com/listing/180721111/the-unruffled-dress-full-set-girls-dress?ref=sr_gallery_28&ga_search_query=anne+of+green+gables+dress&ga_ship_to=US&ga_ref=auto5&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

As for size, I think the previous recommendations of 8/10 would work perfectly.

1. An AG nightgown that looks pretty simple. Here's a picture: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/321324874632?lpid=82

2. A prairie style dress with pinafore that we got off Etsy for her Anne of Green Gables Halloween costume: http://www.etsy.com/listing/180721111/the-unruffled-dress-full-set-girls-dress?ref=sr_gallery_28&ga_search_query=anne+of+green+gables+dress&ga_ship_to=US&ga_ref=auto5&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

LOVE the nightgown...perfect! Thanks so much for the links!

Lol, I even OWN the blue fabric in the AofGG dress!

Is it possible you could make the girl's clothing after the auction? My 10 year old LOVES AG, and I've been known to spend a lot on basket auctions. I wouldn't be able to bid on it though, Dd hasn't worn an 8 since she was about 7 or so. The sizing factor might really narrow down who bids.

Will there be girls in attendance, or adults only? 

That said, what a great idea! 

My 8 yo can wear 7/8 tops and pants fit in the waist but the length is too short. She's skinny with long legs. My 11 yo was wearing 10/12 when she was 8 but she had a different build than my other daughter. I agree with the others to make elastic (not the thin stuff) or long flowing dresses.

Is it possible you could make the girl's clothing after the auction? My 10 year old LOVES AG, and I've been known to spend a lot on basket auctions. I wouldn't be able to bid on it though, Dd hasn't worn an 8 since she was about 7 or so. The sizing factor might really narrow down who bids.

Will there be girls in attendance, or adults only? 

That said, what a great idea!

I was thinking that... but I think the organizers would probably like to have the basket packed up and ready to go. I wonder if I could have a separate auction item: a gift cert to have a matchy outfit custom made... sitting right next to the premade stuff......

hmmmm... something to ponder....

Or you could have it somehow be allowed to be exchanged for a different size (although I'm not sure if you want to have to wonder and then also to have a size 8 outfit afterwards).

Yeah.... I think it's going to have to be what it is, and I'll be very upfront about the sizing, and people that want to can bid on it....

Thanks to everyone's input, I think I am going to go with size 10s, in styles that can go up or down a size easily with elastic and/or ties.

I would love to be more flexible but I definitely need to get this done and out of the way by the date of the Gala... and then move on to other things. (like college applications for dd#2. We're a long way from AGDolls!) :)

Also, if I made things available for exchange I would have to buy double fabric for this adventure... I need to be careful about not spending more than the basket is going to make, KWIM? If that were going to be the case I think I would just donate the moolah directly to them and save the many hours it's going to take me to sew the stuff for myself. :) This is just me rambling on and talking myself down from everyone's great ideas. I can easily get in over my head!! (Did I mention I once made 12 (yes, 12!!!) pettiskirts for my dd's dance class?)

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!! I would love to hear more! :)

I'd guess the average 8yo is a size 8.  It seems that until puberty starts to hit, kids wear their age in clothing.  In fact, my 8yo says, "you are as old as your pant-size."  :)

Actually, my 8yo is only in a 7 because of length.  We get skinny styles AND still use adjustable waists.  She put on a pair of my (just left) foster daughter's size 3 shorts and they fit just fine.  Of course, there will be 8yos wearing a size 10, even 12, I'd guess too.  I definitely think you have to make the outfits adjustable.  Seems like that would be easy enough (at least for me to say <hee hee>).  Then you could put on it that it will fit most girls sizes 6 to 12 or whatever?

Are you talking about "pattern sizes" or "buying sizes"?

My mom sews a lot for my 9yo, snd we have learned that using "buying sizes" as a guide for patterns is a massive mistake. The sewn items are huge in comparison. At 9, we are buying 7/8s, but sewing 6's, or even 5's with added length, since I like a slim look.

The size 6 stuff Gran insisted on sewing when dd was 5 or 6 years old is finally fitting her properly -- at 9.

I imagine that "pattern size 10" would easily fit a 14 year old. Or maybe even a petite adult. I don't know what they are thinking.

Could you make the skirts and pants with elastic waists and an inch or two of hem that could be let out or taken up? If it's not fitted, something like that could last a long time. My DDs had a dress we got at age 3/4 with a significant hem and they could wear it until they were about 7! It was a very simple style and they grew in height much faster than they grew in girth.