Menu

If you had a bunch of extra years and money..

sagira

and you wanted to try 3 curriculum programs out, which ones would you try?

I know for me, the 3 curricula that intrigue me are:

-WinterPromise

-Sonlight

-Calvert

Why don't I try them out? I find WinterPromise a bit confusing, I find Sonlight clear but expensive (plus I can't plan anything by myself), and I heard that Calvert was exhausting for mom.

But I didn't have anything to lose, i.e., a lot of time and money on my hands, I would love to give them a try.

:bigear:

I have always used sonlight but this year I stepped things up a bit and I'm also trying out mfw CtG. I am using it along the first half of core 6 sonlight. I have been looking at CtG for 4 years and the Old Testament focus kept calling to me so I said, "Ok, here goes, I'm gonna try something new!" And guess what? It's wonderful, we're haveing a great year.

Anyway, 3 other things I'd like to try if time and money weren't an issue.

TOG

Winterpromise

Teaching Textbooks Algebra

TOG

And I'd buy ALL of the available math programs, including the public school texts, so I could compare them all side by side and figure out what's what.

Even when I have been able to see a curriculum someone else has, there is no way to play with all the curriculum all together for a while.

And I'd buy ALL of the available math programs, including the public school texts, so I could compare them all side by side and figure out what's what.

:lol:

You're right! I had forgotten about ALL the math programs out there!

History:

Sonlight

History Odyssey

SOTW and TWTM/TWEM with SWBs adult history books for high school

TOG?

I'm so conflicted with all of these. I wish I could settle and relax :D!

Math:

Singapore

Right Start?

Chalkdust with the elementary CDs

I use a combo of SL and WP. I find WP very clear and easy to use, and I love the projects. I think it's a top-notch curriculum, though I know not everyone feels that way.

I do enjoy SL too, we use a lot of the read-alouds from it, just for extra reading. I choose to pull stuff in from SL because dh and I agreed that SL as a whole just wouldn't work for ds. WP uses a lot more non-fiction books, SL uses a lot more historical fiction, etc. DS is just a hands-on, non-fiction kind of kid.

The IG from WP is just as easy to read and implement as SL in my opinion.

I have used one of the preschool programs from SL. The book choices are excellent. I'm using Hideaways in History from WP right now. Overall I don't find the amount of reading in WP overwhelming, and it's very informative. It just fits us very well.

Either SL or WP are excellent choices.

Calvert I've looked at several times and I own most of their K program (someone gave it to me). I think it would be overwhelming for me in general, I'm not really looking for a textbook curriculum to teach from. It's a very solid curriculum though, and I think if you feel more comfortable with texts, it might be a good fit. For us, it just doesn't work.

and you wanted to try 3 curriculum programs out, which ones would you try?

I know for me, the 3 curricula that intrigue me are:

-WinterPromise

-Sonlight

-Calvert

Why don't I try them out? I find WinterPromise a bit confusing, I find Sonlight clear but expensive (plus I can't plan anything by myself), and I heard that Calvert was exhausting for mom.

But I didn't have anything to lose, i.e., a lot of time and money on my hands, I would love to give them a try.

:bigear:

We are AO fans, but if I had money to burn and could do something just for fun, I would like to order a Sonlight core or two just because I think it would be fabulous to get a big package filled with a bunch of lovely new books and an instructor guide and such. Plus, some of their Cores really do look good to me. I just think they'd be too much. The other program I would love to just order practically all their stuff is Galore Park because the stuff I have seen is really great.

I guess other than those, nothing else comes to mind. Oh, and then there's math. I would order all the math in the world probably. And one more thing, Beautiful Feet history programs. Okay, so that's now more than three.

Anita

Well, I obviously have way too much time and money because I have tried just about everything I have wanted to :)

I am curious about Teaching Textbooks though. And I have wondered if I could make Apologia books work for me, but as I am secular and they are not cheap, I have never bought them to try.

The packages don't appeal to me at all- I am way too much of a do-it-yourself, mix and match gal.

Well, I obviously have way too much time and money because I have tried just about everything I have wanted to :)

I am curious about Teaching Textbooks though. And I have wondered if I could make Apologia books work for me, but as I am secular and they are not cheap, I have never bought them to try.

The packages don't appeal to me at all- I am way too much of a do-it-yourself, mix and match gal.

I'm with Peela. Maybe I need to scale back? :D

Except that I LOVE packages. I love getting that full box of "complete" curricula and looking thorugh it.

Jen

TOG

Even when I have been able to see a curriculum someone else has, there is no way to play with all the curriculum all together for a while.

Ditto TOG and buying all the math in the world. I'd also buy a ton of hebrew stuff and a few different languages of Rosetta Stone.

Oh, and Sonlight. We always pick a few Sonlight books to read, but I think it'd be fun to just have it all on hand to use as I wish. So, #5 lol, will be a bigger house to house all this.

Language stuff--a bunch of different ones--Greek, Hebrew, Spanish and ASL being the main ones. Oh, and since I went to Kenya for a mission trip, I've thought it'd be fun (though not very practical, cuz I may never be able to go back) to learn Swahili! Plus I'd "buy" tutors to go with the programs! :D

Maybe some of the on-line Omnibus and other classes.

I'm sure there are others, I just can't think of them now!

Can I just say.... A Spanish cook?

If cost is no object, why not kill two birds with one stone.

Dana

Oh my gosh, totally. I am with you there. And laundry and dishes, and make the beds every day and hold the baby during school hours. Then I could have 10 kids!

Yeah, I'm liking this.