Menu

What would you want to see in a Christian Classical school?

I am helping brainstorm about starting a Christian Classical in my town. If you have been/are a part of one, or ever thought about putting your children in one can you share your thoughts in them?

What would you want to see in one? Curriculum, class size, classroom set-up, schedule?

What would make it different than any other private school?

Thanks!

I would want to see differentiation for learners of different abilities. I would want them to read real books, not graded readers. One of the reasons I hs is that dd is an advanced reader, like I was, and I didn't want to put her through the torture of graded readers even a grade ahead when she was several grades ahead in reading that I had. I would want to see some Latin. Not trying to spark some Old Earth/Young Earth debate here, but I'd want current scientific information to be taught, while respecting the Bible. (My personal belief is that the earth is older than 6,000 years, that God gave us scientific knowledge because he wants us to have it, and that it will all come together one day). You asked, and I answered with my wish-list! :) Again, not trying to spark a debate. Please! I would also want lots of world history, not just US history.

Thank you for sharing! I don't want debates either, I welcome everyone's opinion, just trying to see what's really important to parents and what they would want.

Are you talking about a "blended model school" for homeschoolers, where kids attend, say, one day per week and are taught by paid, professional teachers, and then do the rest of their learning at home with their parent(s)?  Or a full-time private school?  Or something else?

We've been using Phonics Museum and I think it would be a GREAT school program for K and 1st.  It integrates interesting history, art study, phonics, printing, fine arts, and probably more.  It's a little worksheet heavy for HSing, but a classroom teacher could use or skip what they want too. 

I'd also want the kids doing SOTW.  :)

I'd want a "memory time" thing for the class or even the whole school, where they memorize a long passage of the Bible together and some long poems.

If it could meet a 5 minute walk from my house too...

I would want it to be secular. I am in the minority, I know.

I would want to see subjects grouped by ability, not by grade. So a first grader doing third grade math could actually do it. This would require scheduling core subjects at the same time across the school.

I would want to see chronological history and real science with hands-on work. Not just afterthoughts like they are in our PS.

I would want to see more writing than just copywork in K-2, but I would like to see real spelling and grammar taught. Quality AND a little quantity. :) And continue with writing, grammar, and spelling through the grades, of course.

Are you talking about a "blended model school" for homeschoolers, where kids attend, say, one day per week and are taught by paid, professional teachers, and then do the rest of their learning at home with their parent(s)?  Or a full-time private school?  Or something else?

There is some talk of making it 2 or 3 days on campus with professional teachers, and the other days at home, but most likely it will be full-time on campus. However, full-time might be Mon-Thurs.

We've been using Phonics Museum and I think it would be a GREAT school program for K and 1st.  It integrates interesting history, art study, phonics, printing, fine arts, and probably more.  It's a little worksheet heavy for HSing, but a classroom teacher could use or skip what they want too. 

I'd also want the kids doing SOTW.  :)

I'd want a "memory time" thing for the class or even the whole school, where they memorize a long passage of the Bible together and some long poems.

If it could meet a 5 minute walk from my house too...

THanks, great ideas!

I would want it to be secular. I am in the minority, I know.

I would want to see subjects grouped by ability, not by grade. So a first grader doing third grade math could actually do it. This would require scheduling core subjects at the same time across the school.

I would want to see chronological history and real science with hands-on work. Not just afterthoughts like they are in our PS.

I would want to see more writing than just copywork in K-2, but I would like to see real spelling and grammar taught. Quality AND a little quantity. :) And continue with writing, grammar, and spelling through the grades, of course.

Great ideas, chronological history and science are biggies for me too.

It will be Christian, secular is not an option, thanks so much for your thoughts!

Secular or inclusive. Better yet, Catholic! Lol.

We have a classic school in the area, but it's protestant and requires a SOF that no non-evangelical protestant could sign. Frankly, every classical private school I've seen is protestant and use YE science materials, protestant (BJU/Abeka/etc) materials for other subjects, etc; even if I could sign the SOF, I wouldn't be comfortable with the classroom content.

No "nickle and dime-ing". Include all costs in tuition - the school can distribute from there. Most private schools in the area do this; there is a book fee, an enrollment fee, an upkeep fee or grounds' fee, a materials fee, a lab fee, THEN tuition... and then you still need to buy uniforms etc. Just roll everything BUT uniforms into your base price.

I had the opportunity to tour this amazing Classical charter school: Archway Classical Academy/Veritas. It is a system of NINE charter schools in the same big city. Half the funds come from being a charter school, the other half is paid by the families attending as tution. Amazing -- every few feet on ALL the walls in the hallways is a framed on-canvas reproduction of a classic work of art! And the library is filled with fabulous books, with beautiful expensive wood tables and leather-upholstered chairs, like something you'd see at Oxford or Cambridge!

That tour came last fall when I got to hear SWB speaking about classical education, along with several other speakers, including Cheryl Lowe, founder of Highlands Latin School in KY. I mention them, as they are a Christian classical school that meets 4 days a week.

Check out their websites for ideas, and you might try emailing Cheryl Lowe and hear her tips on starting a very similar type of school.

BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.

Secular or inclusive. Better yet, Catholic! Lol.

We have a classic school in the area, but it's protestant and requires a SOF that no non-evangelical protestant could sign. Frankly, every classical private school I've seen is protestant and use YE science materials, protestant (BJU/Abeka/etc) materials for other subjects, etc; even if I could sign the SOF, I wouldn't be comfortable with the classroom content.

No "nickle and dime-ing". Include all costs in tuition - the school can distribute from there. Most private schools in the area do this; there is a book fee, an enrollment fee, an upkeep fee or grounds' fee, a materials fee, a lab fee, THEN tuition... and then you still need to buy uniforms etc. Just roll everything BUT uniforms into your base price.

The school will be "protestant", but I am not opposed to anyone joining, as long as they realize this is how the school will address religion. 

As for material, we will absolutely NOT use Abeka or Bob Jones, etc. The whole point is not another private school but a Classical school. Embracing classical methodology and teaching. 

That's how I homeschool (largely based on TWTM), however, I was trying to see how others would see that incorporated in a brick and mortar school.

Good points about pricing, thanks!

I had the opportunity to tour this amazing Classical charter school: Archway Classical Academy/Veritas. It is a system of NINE charter schools in the same big city. Half the funds come from being a charter school, the other half is paid by the families attending as tution. Amazing -- every few feet on ALL the walls in the hallways is a framed on-canvas reproduction of a classic work of art! And the library is filled with fabulous books, with beautiful expensive wood tables and leather-upholstered chairs, like something you'd see at Oxford or Cambridge!

That tour came last fall when I got to hear SWB speaking about classical education, along with several other speakers, including Cheryl Lowe, founder of Highlands Latin School in KY. I mention them, as they are a Christian classical school that meets 4 days a week.

Check out their websites for ideas, and you might try emailing Cheryl Lowe and hear her tips on starting a very similar type of school.

BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.

I and other people have been looking at various schools. There is one in Idaho, I really like. I guess our state won't have charter schools, which is a bummer, but I will look at those links, thanks!

I love the idea, of paying attention to the environment, pictures, and great books, even furnishings!

• Offer languages in the elementary school--not just at the "Let's sing about the colors" level, but as a real subject. I suppose since it's a classical school, the parents will want Latin (but I'd prefer Spanish, which I will start with DS this summer, or Chinese).

Chronological history would also be a selling point.

Class size has to be less than 20 to compete here.

Dress code/uniform should be reasonable. Khakis and polo shirts, maybe.

Elementary schools need to have a nice outdoor space and time to use it.

Yeah. Bolded would be my problem. I'd love to see a classical school that doesn't take a position on religion.

The school will be "protestant", but I am not opposed to anyone joining, as long as they realize this is how the school will address religion. 

As for material, we will absolutely NOT use Abeka or Bob Jones, etc. The whole point is not another private school but a Classical school. Embracing classical methodology and teaching. 

That's how I homeschool (largely based on TWTM), however, I was trying to see how others would see that incorporated in a brick and mortar school.

Good points about pricing, thanks!

I would love for a classical school in our area.  I would totally support religious studies, but an academic approach to religion would be ideal to avoid differences or absence of faith / traditions.  Also, it's necessary to avoid partisan politics. I had terrible experiences in Christian schools as a gay teenager in the 1980s and I would never, ever want to pass on the frightening social and political climate that was encouraged by the school (as in... required picketing of abortion clinics and formal debates on whether homosexuals were devil possessed or just willfully sinning).  Anyway, the only way I would ever enroll my kids in a Christian school is if it was openly tolerant and welcoming of all kids (and not in a weird proselytizing way).

I'd like Latin to be done well in elementary, maybe starting 3rd grade.

I'd like math to be treated with respect, and teachers to have in-service in how to teach math well. Oh, make all the teachers read Liping Ma's book on math teaching. So many elementary school teachers are afraid of math.

Science could be put on the back burner, but whenever it was done, it should be done well. Do a yearly science project with a yearly science fair. Have monthly classroom science competitions, but don't let elementary science take over school time.

Emily

Subject integration. I was at the LA Symposium at a Classical Charter School in the PHX area to hear SWB speak, and we chatted about how shocking it is to see Classical Education compartmentalized which makes it anemic. If each individual subject isn't connected and reinforcing, at some level, the others then it's a burden on both the teachers and students to teach and master disjointed, isolated information. Better to take an integrated approach to add depth of understanding and natural reinforcement.

Assuming you mean Trivium Classical Education, I would say the 3rd stage of the Trivium (Rhetoric=Application + Persuasion) is often neglected by many people who label themselves Classical Homeschoolers and Classical Schools. I'm not sure I completely understand why they bother with one or two of the stages then they go on to not do the third(!?!?) To me, preparing for the 3rd is the point of the first 2.  Maybe there's another school of thought on Trivium Classical education I've not been exposed to.

Latin and Greek Roots as part of English LA.  While plenty of people do Latin or Greek as a second language, I think a more direct approach of Latin and Greek word roots specifically for breaking down English words (often in the sciences and civics) starting early on (after mastering phonics) is much more efficient for mastering English vocabularies.  Mastering Latin as a language is great but isn't going to accomplish the same thing in the same time frame as a LA skill. 

Maybe consider a UMS school? Some classroom time (2-3 days a week for grammar stage?) and some the rest homeschool. I'm thinking that would be a very attractive option cost-wise as well as making the school significantly different from other private schools in your area.

Maybe consider a UMS school? Some classroom time (2-3 days a week for grammar stage?) and some the rest homeschool. I'm thinking that would be a very attractive option cost-wise as well as making the school significantly different from other private schools in your area.

I would love a UMS approach, but there are some who really want/need full-time. But all things are being considered right now. 

I really appreciate everyone's thoughts so far, thanks! And keep them coming.

Listening in!  I have thought about the idea of starting a classical private school.  I would love more parents around me to have access to the benefits of classical education, and I think there would be a large demand for it.  But I have no idea how to financially do it.  Something to keep pondering I guess. 

I am really enjoying reading through all these posts and ideas.  

Oh also. Two quick thoughts when it comes to private school in general.

Not sure how you would regulate this, but the amount of homework should be reasonable.  When I attended a private school I had homework from the moment I walked in the door till about 10-12 at night ( I was in 6th grade).  It was insane.  I loved most of my teachers and classes, and think they did a great job, but the amount of homework was unbearable.

Also have a low tolerance for bullying.  My brother attended a different private school and had issues with another kid bullying him.  My parents informed those in charge but they did nothing about it. The reasoning for their inaction was that they couldn't afford to lose any of their students (their finances were poorly managed).  Ironic because my mom eventually pulled my brother out, so in the end they did lose a student.

I would not want it to be affiliated with ACCS. 

I would want them to realize that this is the 21st century and to downplay math & science would be a terrible mistake. 

Accepting of students that don't fit the mold - allow for creative approaches to learning or for varying modes of output. This does not need to compromise content or quality of education.

Accept students with special learning needs. They deserve a quality education, too. 

Integrated history, science and literature wherever possible. Also, do this on a predictable cycle. 

No fund raising! Include all expenses in tuition. 

No uniforms. They're cute & all, but they are also really expensive. Dress codes are fine, but the individuality of the students should be respected.

I think a degree in the a subject area along with the ability to teach is needed. Education degrees are not needed. People who have studied math teach math, people who have studied history teach history, people who have studied science teach science. 

No uniforms. They're cute & all, but they are also really expensive. Dress codes are fine, but the individuality of the students should be respected.

Funny... my mom loved uniforms because it took all struggle out of getting dressed. Do have used uniform sales, though, for the parents to resell to one another.

I would not want it to be affiliated with ACCS. 

I would want them to realize that this is the 21st century and to downplay math & science would be a terrible mistake. 

Accepting of students that don't fit the mold - allow for creative approaches to learning or for varying modes of output. This does not need to compromise content or quality of education.

Accept students with special learning needs. They deserve a quality education, too. 

Integrated history, science and literature wherever possible. Also, do this on a predictable cycle. 

No fund raising! Include all expenses in tuition. 

I think a degree in the a subject area along with the ability to teach is needed. Education degrees are not needed. People who have studied math teach math, people who have studied history teach history, people who have studied science teach science. 

Why would you say not to be affiliated with ACCS? One of the people working with this idea had a great experience with them when she helped in the start up of a school in a different state? 

We have a fairly small town/area, I'm not sure who we would attract, but there is definitely the need for a different type of school, so I'm going to be curious who this attracts. 

Yes, integrated academics as opposed to segmented "subjects" will be one of the things I'd like as well.

We have discussed already that the best people to teach are those who are passionate about their subject areas and about learning and the quest for knowledge, and that might not necessarily be those with Education degrees. This might be a hard sell for some parents though :)

Why would you say not to be affiliated with ACCS? One of the people working with this idea had a great experience with them when she helped in the start up of a school in a different state? .... We have discussed already that the best people to teach are those who are passionate about their subject areas and about learning and the quest for knowledge, and that might not necessarily be those with Education degrees...

And that might mean choosing to have a non-accredited school. Usually, having a degree and a teaching certificate, or at least working towards one, is one of the requirements for all instructors of a school that wishes to meet accreditation requirements.

Guess that's another thing to check into -- do you want to work towards accreditation, or does it matter for your goals? Accreditation is a real draw to families when coupled with the idea of "classical", "rigorous", "STEM", etc. -- esp. for high school and awarding diplomas -- probably not so much if this is just going to be an elementary grades school.

Why would you say not to be affiliated with ACCS? One of the people working with this idea had a great experience with them when she helped in the start up of a school in a different state? 

This is based solely on my experiences and that of my family. My son attended an ACCS accredited school. I was not impressed with the curriculum, nor was I impressed with the teaching methodology. In my opinion, they focused too much on mimicry, not understanding and not mastery. The high school curriculum was certainly lacking in the maths & sciences. The high school used Omnibus at the time, which is very slanted towards a reformed perspective (according to the people I knew who had high school students, I didn't read it myself). The teacher training was limited to an approved list of books, many written by Douglas Wilson, a person whom I disagree with in many areas. The culture of the school was unhealthy (sorry, I really can't give details w/out betraying confidences), much of which could be traced back to the influence of people who founded and were affiliated with ACCS. 

ACSI is a much more reputable organization for accreditation, as is SACS (or whichever regional accrediting organization takes care of your geographical area). 

Check out The Geneva School in Orlando FL. A dear dear trusted friend teaches there and he tells us about it and we are so impressed. One thing that you may not see suggested here is that the school is a community of faith. People praying for one another, supporting each other. He also mentioned that most discipline issues are handled through one on one talking to the child, getting at the root and dealing with the attitude of the heart and redirecting the child toward God. They are encouraged to take time out as necessary to do this.

You can see whatever else they do at their website. ;)

You might want to look at the NAUM model.... (University Model Schools)  It's a graduated model... where kids go a bit at a time... and then a bit more as they progress.... And it'd be great to have something like the Redmond Profiency Academy in Redmond, Oregon. They have adjunct professors, so that when you graduate, you can graduate with an AA. (instead of AP courses....)

:)

Okay people, I get that a lot of you don't want a Christian school, however, the question is What would would want to see in a Christian Classical school? It's not optional in the school we are thinking about starting.

I am looking for thoughts curriculum, schedules, teacher training, day-to-day operations? Ways you think a Classical private school (Christian) might look different than a regular private school.

Thank you for those who have shared those things, 

Is this school k-12? It has nothing to do with being Classical, but I would be impressed with more offerings of computer programming, perhaps at younger ages than you generally get at public school. Also, I'd like to see clubs or special interest groups, things like robotics, Lego league, maybe a praise band? There are soooo many things. If you were able to schedule it so that people who wanted to homeschool for academics could just take PE and Art or participate in clubs/sports, you would be able to draw more kids and bring in some extra cash. In reality, I probably wouldn't send my kid to a school full-time, but I would pay to have them take PE and other specials. Especially PE....it's one thing that is hard for me to do at home. (No gym, not enough other kids to play games, etc.)

I've already commented, but I'll keep going! I'd only go for a Classical School if it *were* Christian, so here goes.

Do a Latin-Centered approach so that skill building is strong.

Do a block schedule so that students have sufficient time to spend diving into the subjects (M/W - history, TTh - science, F - Math lab). Don't do everything every day or it will end up being too shallow.

See about having a Math For Love training so that kids can do a weekly math lab. Math is not only facts (something classical schools tend to forget) but actually really creative, too.

I'd love it if a school could do quality Drawing With Children lessons, not just lousy crafts. Do handwork, not pea-and-stick "art".

Cultivate community.

Maybe if the title of the thread had "Christian" in it, you wouldn't get so many requests for secular...

Emily

For any Christian school, I'd want the teachers to really know what it means to integrate faith in all areas of life, not just with facts, but with actions.

"Whatsoever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, think on these things" (Phil. 4:8) should be the standard for what is taught in the school & how it is taught. Christopher Perrin did a great talk on this at a conference I went to a few years ago. 

Like another poster mentioned before, science related clubs would be great, but so would a book club, a Shakespeare Club, readers theater, Junior Achievement, 4H and other extra-curricular activities. Provide opportunities for kids to "think on these things" as a community. 

Ă¢â‚¬â€¹I also love the idea of teaching hand work, not just crafts. Teach real art & music. 

Allow the younger kids time to do nature studies and to run and play in the woods. 

No homework in the elementary grades. Start slow with it in middle school. High School homework should be limited so that it doesn't interfere with the health of the student or their family life. 

Is this school k-12? It has nothing to do with being Classical, but I would be impressed with more offerings of computer programming, perhaps at younger ages than you generally get at public school. Also, I'd like to see clubs or special interest groups, things like robotics, Lego league, maybe a praise band? There are soooo many things. If you were able to schedule it so that people who wanted to homeschool for academics could just take PE and Art or participate in clubs/sports, you would be able to draw more kids and bring in some extra cash. In reality, I probably wouldn't send my kid to a school full-time, but I would pay to have them take PE and other specials. Especially PE....it's one thing that is hard for me to do at home. (No gym, not enough other kids to play games, etc.)

I'm not sure if we could start out k-12, but eventually that is what we would want. 

That is an interesting idea about letting kids take some of the non-academic classes, such as PE, art, band. Maybe offered as afterschool activities it could work. Thanks for the ideas!

I've already commented, but I'll keep going! I'd only go for a Classical School if it *were* Christian, so here goes.

Do a Latin-Centered approach so that skill building is strong.

Do a block schedule so that students have sufficient time to spend diving into the subjects (M/W - history, TTh - science, F - Math lab). Don't do everything every day or it will end up being too shallow.

See about having a Math For Love training so that kids can do a weekly math lab. Math is not only facts (something classical schools tend to forget) but actually really creative, too.

I'd love it if a school could do quality Drawing With Children lessons, not just lousy crafts. Do handwork, not pea-and-stick "art".

Cultivate community.

Maybe if the title of the thread had "Christian" in it, you wouldn't get so many requests for secular...

Emily

Changed title, thanks for the tip :laugh:

And thank you for responding, you have given some great ideas. 

A couple of you have mentioned block scheduling. I really like that idea, it could give some great time for really digging into some of the subjects, although, there are some things I think might need to happen everyday, like math.

We know a really great Artist who helps at a local co-op, maybe we could sneak her away to our school :tongue_smilie: . I completely agree with the suggestion of handicrafts vs. craft crafts. 

Good things to think about!

For any Christian school, I'd want the teachers to really know what it means to integrate faith in all areas of life, not just with facts, but with actions.

"Whatsoever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, think on these things" (Phil. 4:8) should be the standard for what is taught in the school & how it is taught. Christopher Perrin did a great talk on this at a conference I went to a few years ago. 

Like another poster mentioned before, science related clubs would be great, but so would a book club, a Shakespeare Club, readers theater, Junior Achievement, 4H and other extra-curricular activities. Provide opportunities for kids to "think on these things" as a community. 

Ă¢â‚¬â€¹I also love the idea of teaching hand work, not just crafts. Teach real art & music. 

Allow the younger kids time to do nature studies and to run and play in the woods. 

No homework in the elementary grades. Start slow with it in middle school. High School homework should be limited so that it doesn't interfere with the health of the student or their family life. 

Phil 4:8 is our homeschool verse, I love it!

I love the idea of the kids getting out in nature as well, great.

I completely agree on you about the homework, but it seems like so many parents I've met that have always had their kids in traditional school "like" homework as proof their kids are doing things.

Thanks!

I was on staff of two ACCS schools before having kids and homeschooling. One was an unbelievable school.  LOVED the model, the curriculum, the school community, etc.  The other? I almost quit in October, and again in April. When the year was finally over in May, I ran screaming.  It was amazing to me to see how very different those two schools were, when on paper they looked so similar and were accredited by the same organization.  Bullet points about both schools:

School I loved:

Charlotte Mason/classical mix for curricula in the grammar school (nature study, artist and composer study, assessment by oral and written narration, community gardens, etc)

Tuition included everything but lunch (field trips, school supplies, EVERYTHING)

small class sizes (16 in my 3rd grade)

involved parents

read real books for history and literature 

used VERY few workbooks

reasonable homework expectations 

well disciplined, respectful student body

School that was HARD to teach at:

all subjects compartmentalized

a workbook for every subject

low parental involvement (administration didn't encourage parents being around and involved)

no CM loveliness in the grammar school

larger and always fluctuating class size (18-22, with kids in and out, in my 4th grade)

unruly student body, many more overall discipline problems

I was always having to collect money for this or that 

I'd be happy to answer any more questions if you had them, on the thread or via PM.

Okay people, I get that a lot of you don't want a Christian school, however, the question is What would would want to see in a Christian Classical school? It's not optional in the school we are thinking about starting.

I am looking for thoughts curriculum, schedules, teacher training, day-to-day operations? Ways you think a Classical private school (Christian) might look different than a regular private school.

Thank you for those who have shared those things, 

Most of us are fine with Christian - it can be Christian without being denomination specific or having a sof.

I haven't read the other replies, but the first things that come to my mind are excellent math and reasonable outside time/physical exercise.

The classical schools I know tend to be very strong on language skills including literature, Latin, Bible, writing and memory work. They are usually not started by people with strong math/science skills and are much weaker academically in math. I'd want a curriculum like Singapore that includes a strong conceptual element and teachers with real math background, not just an elementary ed degree. 

School in general tends to require traditional girl behavior of boys and not make significant allowances for typical boy learning modes. I would keep a real recess time as well as time at lunch to wiggle. Outside if at all possible, preferably in a nice yard with trees, playground etc. And I would make sure all teachers, especially in younger grades, include methods which most boys enjoy (tactile-kinesthetic, competition, games).

If I were putting my children in a b&m school I would want to hear from the school that parents are the primary educators of their children and the school's role is to assist the parents. The "We are the professionals, the experts and you are just a parent." attitude in many schools (of all kinds) drives me crazy. 

Other things that I am thinking of:

No homework in younger grades.

Clear, concise philosophy of education.

My son attends Coram Deo Academy in Dallas. They are accredited by SACS and in process of getting the university model school accreditation i believe. It is classical, Christian, and collaborative. It is non-denominational and adheres to the Nicene creed. The mission of the school is to "train ethical leaders and wise thinkers shaping culture for the glory of God." They are explicit in that whereas some Christian schools are evangelical in nature, in their case they are equipping the saints, so to speak....families are believers and a pastoral reference is part of the process of admission. It's a supportive community and the parental involvement is high because of the collaborative model.

Most students attend class two days a week and are homeschooled the other days (there is a 5 day program at one of the campuses but I don't know anything about it). They are adamant that the parent is the primary teacher of the child. This is a big deal to me. It has been an ideal model for our family because I am overwhelmed at the idea of full-time homeschooling at the moment, but walking in partnership with them has been a delight.

Our campus has small class sizes (12 is about the largest i have seen, some as small as 2-3). Electives offered on Fridays such as art, music, world culture, hands on science. My child is in grammar stage but in older stages they use a house system for the kids that I think is highly character driven and accountability focused.

There is good outdoor recess time and time for lunch wiggles as another poster said. I wish there were more time for charlotte mason lovelies (Perfect word, prior poster!), but with only being on campus two days the time is packed. Of course that's the beauty of three days at home! We can do our nature walking then.

I know you were leaning towards a full time model but you may glean some ideas from their site.

Www. Coramdeoacademy.org

My son attends Coram Deo Academy in Dallas. They are accredited by SACS and in process of getting the university model school accreditation i believe. It is classical, Christian, and collaborative. It is non-denominational and adheres to the Nicene creed. The mission of the school is to "train ethical leaders and wise thinkers shaping culture for the glory of God." They are explicit in that whereas some Christian schools are evangelical in nature, in their case they are equipping the saints, so to speak....families are believers and a pastoral reference is part of the process of admission. It's a supportive community and the parental involvement is high because of the collaborative model.

Most students attend class two days a week and are homeschooled the other days (there is a 5 day program at one of the campuses but I don't know anything about it). They are adamant that the parent is the primary teacher of the child. This is a big deal to me. It has been an ideal model for our family because I am overwhelmed at the idea of full-time homeschooling at the moment, but walking in partnership with them has been a delight.

Our campus has small class sizes (12 is about the largest i have seen, some as small as 2-3). Electives offered on Fridays such as art, music, world culture, hands on science. My child is in grammar stage but in older stages they use a house system for the kids that I think is highly character driven and accountability focused.

There is good outdoor recess time and time for lunch wiggles as another poster said. I wish there were more time for charlotte mason lovelies (Perfect word, prior poster!), but with only being on campus two days the time is packed. Of course that's the beauty of three days at home! We can do our nature walking then.

I know you were leaning towards a full time model but you may glean some ideas from their site.

Www. Coramdeoacademy.org

Thank you for sharing. I will look into it! 

I agree,  I think the University Model sounds like the best of both worlds, but I'm not sure the others working on this agree :)