Menu

I need opinions......re: travel

gingersmom

My daughter is signed up for school trip to South America. Everything is great except I just found out they are flying from small regional airport to major airport to make connecting flight (about 1 hour).

The first plane seats a max of 50 people. It looks like a prop plane to me. I am horrified to let my child on this plane. Plus when they go there might be snow, ice, etc.

I don't know if I can let her get on that plane. Am I overreacting?

I was thinking of offering to drive her to larger airport and just meet up with the group.

Thoughts?

Since it sounds like that flight will be in a country with decent safety standards, I wouldn't worry about it. But if you don't mind driving and your daughter is okay with it, and if it really would make you feel a lot better, then I don't think there's anything wrong with you driving her.

Will they be able to check as much luggage on that smaller plane?

It's a regional jet but to me it's a prop plane.

I hate hate hate flying and I am shocked these are the arrangements they made. They are a 2 hour drive from a major airport so it makes no sense.

I have been on a prop plane and a large private plane and I find it absolutely terrifying.

I was also wondering about the luggage, or lack of allowed on the plane.

Logistically it's probably easier to have everyone meet at the smaller airport. Statistically, it's safer than having multiple cars driving 2 hours one way. How many people are in the group? How does your dd feel about it? 

Yes, I think you're overreacting. If the weather is bad enough they won't fly and it would probably be more dangerous driving in poor weather too. 

Not saying that you shouldn't feel some trepidation, but if you trust her enough to go to South America, I'd trust her enough to ride in smaller plane. 

I spent four years commuting between Miami and Fort Hood, TX.  Half of that time I was routed through DFW, and the ride from there to Fort Hood was on a 30-seat prop plane. I loved it, it felt like REAL flying - kind of like the Jeeps of the sky!  I was usually the only one, though - me and any one under the age of 8 also on the plane. Mostly people felt sick and couldn't wait to land. LOL

Someone up-thread mentioned ticket fares - to expand on that, there are different types of fares. Most require that you're on all segments relating to that fare. Even if the group approves your request to join up with them at the metro airport, the airline may NOT. It might cancel her reservation when she no-shows for the commuter segment. You'll have to look into that.

I have to say, I agree with elegantlion - I'd be more worried about her being in (parts of, especially airports) SA than on a quick ride on a regional jet. Or prop plane. I know it's going to be hard, but I think you want to consider how your anxiety may affect her own comfort level on an airplane - any airplane. Try to let her go! At least that part of her trip will be the quickest, right? You can watch the plane ascend and have her text as soon as she lands.

Thanks for all the input.

My daughter knows about my terror about flying so that won't influence her. I on the other hand know what a scaredy cat she is.

Unfortunately she is away at school, sick (may have flu, we find out in the morning) so I have more time to think (worry) about it.

I wouldn't have any reservations about flying on a regional jet - they are much more comfortable and quiet than a prop plane. I usually don't have a problem on a prop plane for a short hop, either, though. They aren't pleasant, but I've never felt unsafe on one. 

Not only do I not find this even a teeny bit shocking, I would be extremely irritated as a parent if I had to drive my kid two hours each way when there was a perfectly good regional airport the group could have used instead.

As others have pointed out, driving to the major airport is far more dangerous than flying there.

I have to admit, this conversation is nonsensical to me. My dad and both brothers are/were aircraft maintenance engineers so plans and helicopters are a frequent topic of conversation at family get togethers.

There is NOTHING that would make a smaller her or prop plane less safe then a big jet. There is NOTHING questionable or irresponsible about using a prop plane. They are as safe as jets. In fact, in an emergency situation they have a distinct advantage over big plans, they require much less runway and can land in places a big jet never could.

I have no idea what a rational and reasonable objection to a prop plane would be. I'm not saying that to accuse you but hopefully so that you can understand there's no reason that you should hold onto your fear. Your solution is, in fact, by far the riskier choice. Your daughter is far more likely to be injured or killed in a car ride then she is in a plane.