Menu

Teaching younger children (with eager eldest nearby)

Whenever my daughter (2nd child, 4-years-old) asks to "do school" with her, I oblige. We're just doing stuff like letter sounds and counting right now. But my son (1st child) always hovers and sometimes just can't help himself from blurting out the answer no matter how many times I remind him to let his sister answer first.

So, when I start Kindergarten with my daughter in June, how do I make sure that she actually learns the material herself and keep my son from keeping her from doing any thinking? He's a very, very social child and would see it as punishment if I sent him to another room while doing school with my daughter. Reminding him to not answer hasn't worked yet--will it eventually click? Do I just let him sit in the lessons, ask him one question and then ask the rest to my daughter (hoping that one question every once in a while will tide him over)? Do I give him a pack of bubble gum in hopes that it will keep his mouth shut long enough for my daughter to figure out an answer on her own? :lol:

Surely my son isn't the only homeschooled child that loves to shout out answers out of turn?

I've had this problem at the eye doctor. When they ask the examinee to read the letters, I always have to remind my other eager beavers to stay quiet. :-)

Don't let it stress you too much. She'll still learn some by hearing it. In many learning situations she would not be the only one answering questions.

Funnily enough, I have more of this trouble with dh when I have an impromptu opportunity to do some educating when he is home. I haven't figured out a good answer for that either. I guess I'll watch this thread!

Me, icily, "thank you for demonstrating your abilities at mental math, but could we let the THIRD GRADERS take a turn?" Ha ha ha.

Practice. "Now it is S's turn." "Now it's kindergarten time (ie, time for you to do other independent work)." And with full on eye contact to child whom question is directed to. Other child doesn't get looked at unless it's with "the eye" and then she usually smiles a little and backs off. ;)

My dd8 is like that.  She is welcome to join ds5 for anything.  But the minute she starts answering for him, she is sent to her room.  It is not intended as a punishment (though she may see it that way, IDK).  It is just a reality that he cannot learn if she is giving the answers.  She rarely ever ends up in her room, though, because as hard as it is to keep her mouth shut, she would rather do it with us than without us.  

He's a very, very social child and would see it as punishment if I sent him to another room while doing school with my daughter. 

Too bad. If he can't control himself enough not to blurt out answers, then he can't be there. Your dd deserves to have her school be about her, not about her social brother.

:lol: Try doing Pre K with twins.....DS4 LOVES to answer and in math is often faster, so I make a point of going back and forth and using "this Question is for X". Now in alphabet work DD4 is faster so there I have to remind her to wait for her brother to answer when it is his turn (though the faces she makes while trying to hold the answer in are hysterical, I really need to set up a video camera one day). I have seriously considered going back to the raise your hand method, but then they would just argue over who actually raised their hands first :laugh:

But having DS9 ask them the questions did help when I was teaching DD7. Especially since we had used ETC before so he knew what to do on each page.

Kindergarten time for the 4yo is also computer time for the older child.

Send the 7yo in the other room with the computer/laptop to do

1) 20 minutes of Dance Mat Typing (free)

then

2) 20 minutes of Xtra Math math facts (free)

then

3) 20 minutes of a computer game

Minecraft?

Reader Rabbit?

Apps on the tablet?

Countries or other subject on shepherd software?

Starfall?

Or free or assigned reading in his bedroom.  (The line for that can be fuzzy. Some parents dictate what their kids will read; others just want their kids to read anything.)

I don't home school and I still have this problem. I ask the questions specifically by name and ds6 still answers ds4's questions. It drives me crazy. No matter how many times I point out that ds4 starts school in May and if he doesn't let him answer questions he won't know what he needs to, or appeal to the would you like it if ds4 did that he still does it. I have actually tried sending him to time out but we are usually snuggling on the couch with a book and it completely ruins things.

My 6 year old is like this with my 3 year old. And sometimes she's like that with him!!! 

I think the best thing to do is either grin and bear it, and try to see the humor, or try to include them in a cooperative learning way. Or if it's really a distraction try to have the other child doing something else during that time. My oldest has independent reading time when I'm working with my 1st grader, and my younger may get Starfall turned on or something if I need peace with my 1st grader.

I try to have my older one busy doing something, and not ask my younger quiz-style questions.

He does it with everything, not just quiz style questions. She'll be counting and he'll start saying the numbers, too. Which entirely removes the point of the counting exercise for her. I do tell him in a case like that to not "help" and have my daughter start again, but I'd rather not have those distractions in the first place.

I'm leaning toward reading in another room or typing or some other work that he can do on his own. The computer is in the living room, which is where we do school, but as long as it's not a talking game, it shouldn't distract too much. (Hopefully)

He does it with everything, not just quiz style questions. She'll be counting and he'll start saying the numbers, too. Which entirely removes the point of the counting exercise for her. I do tell him in a case like that to not "help" and have my daughter start again, but I'd rather not have those distractions in the first place.

I'm leaning toward reading in another room or typing or some other work that he can do on his own. The computer is in the living room, which is where we do school, but as long as it's not a talking game, it shouldn't distract too much. (Hopefully)

Headphones.... love them.. they make child size ones ;)