Menu

Just to blow your mind a bit on cold weather

bethben

I read somewhere it's warmer on Mars.

Not sure if that's true.

nope 

Antarctica

At 9 a.m. Monday, the temperature in Minneapolis was a sitting at about -20. At the same time, the temperature at Concordia Station in Antarctica was -19.

Concordia_heavy_machinery_node_full_imag

ESA Concordia Station, Antarctica

Ice cream freezer

Most grocery store ice cream freezers are kept at about -20, a perfect match for morning temperatures in the Twin Cities.

881526_G.jpg

Not quite as cold as Mars

The Rover Environmental Monitoring Station on the planet Mars most recently recorded air temperatures between -60 and -125 degrees Celsius, equal to -76 to -193 Fahrenheit. Temperatures in Minnesota bottomed-out at about -35 F.

pia16051_featured-br.jpg

A WIND CHILL WARNING is in effect until Tuesday at noon, with wind chills of -40 to -60 Monday morning and frostbite times of around 5 minutes. The high temperature in the Twin Cities will top out at -16 Monday afternoon, dropping to -20s with wind chills between -40 to -60 again Monday night.

Ok, the bubbles freezing is officially the coolest thing I've seen today. Still not going outside, though. :0)

We did it this evening, but at 21 degrees or so, it wasn't as dramatic as in the video. I'm going to try it first thing in the morning. I have to go out in it anyway!

From a FB post on perspective:

Perspective is a funny thing...A friend recently asked me to cheer her up by telling her how cold it was here because she was freezing in PA chill....
It's currently 30F here today. The kids and DH are heading out for a day of snowboarding. DS came to me to discuss the equipment requirements for the day. It's the first day they've been out this year so I was reminding him what he needed. "Gloves, snowpants, goggles, helmet...Do you think you need your thermals under your snowpants?"
"No, it's way too warm for that. We only wear our thermals when the temps are in the teens below zero. And I really don't think the temp is going to drop 40 degrees in one day."
A forty degree drop is the difference between a bikini (80) and a winter coat (40) for some of you. For our kids it means, perhaps, ( but probably not), that we should add another pair of underwear!
So, if you can't stand the east coast cold right now, come to Alaska for a few weeks. We'll give you all the perspective you could ever want.

We're at -3 this morning.  Definitely the coldest I've seen at this house.  (I grew up with much colder, -30s were common.)  Swimming is on the agenda for today, but in an indoor, heated pool relatively nearby.  ;)

They say the wind chill puts it at -20.  The cats tell me the wind chill is at "No, I don't want to go out."  Even our dedicated outdoor-loving cat who seems to get Hives (mentally) when he's in for more than half an hour has been happy inside last night and this morning.  When I went to the door to see if he wanted out he gave me a look saying, "Feel free to go without me," and went over and hopped in a chair.

That never happens.

The one time (eons ago) he accidentally got locked in at night he woke me up around 1am for door service.

It is 8 degrees this am in NC.

Our schools are delayed as well.  They said this is record breaking.  Lowest record was 12 degrees.

In SC the schools are on a 2 hour delay because the low is supposed to be 14 (above!) in the morning. Kids are not prepared to stand outside and wait for the bus in that cold--we don't have the clothes. I guess I could do it for mine if I had to but they'd look like ragamuffin sausages with frozen feet because sneakers and cotton socks is as warm as it gets here. Seeing this post...I need to quit whining...we are only about 50 degrees from a nice day!

From a FB post on perspective:

Perspective is a funny thing...A friend recently asked me to cheer her up by telling her how cold it was here because she was freezing in PA chill....

It's currently 30F here today. The kids and DH are heading out for a day of snowboarding. DS came to me to discuss the equipment requirements for the day. It's the first day they've been out this year so I was reminding him what he needed. "Gloves, snowpants, goggles, helmet...Do you think you need your thermals under your snowpants?"

"No, it's way too warm for that. We only wear our thermals when the temps are in the teens below zero. And I really don't think the temp is going to drop 40 degrees in one day."

A forty degree drop is the difference between a bikini (80) and a winter coat (40) for some of you. For our kids it means, perhaps, ( but probably not), that we should add another pair of underwear!

So, if you can't stand the east coast cold right now, come to Alaska for a few weeks. We'll give you all the perspective you could ever want.

I know all about that perspective! I grew up in Alaska and I know all about the cold. I have lived in Texas now for 2.5 years and it is amazing how quickly you become jaded. It is 15 here and I am freezing!! The funny thing is that when it gets cold here, it is often warmer in Alaska. My mom still lives there and we talk about the temps a lot. She will tells me it is -25 there and it will be 70 here. Then a week later I am whining about 20 and she says it is 35 there! Lol

Another weird thing I have noticed about the south is the huge temperature swings in one day. It can be a low of 25 at night and then 75 during the day. Or when cold front comes in the temp can go from 75 to 20 in a couple hours it seems. I don't remember the temp changes in Alaska being that extreme very often.

I remarked to a friend that we had moved hay in 100 degree temperature swings.  Last summer it was 96 and humid when we were putting it up in the loft (rule #1 of putting up hay----it can only be done in very hot and humid weather) and last week we switched some of her alfalfa for my grass hay and it was -4 (rule #2---if it absolutely can't be the hottest day of the year then you are allowed to move hay in record cold).

She spent 15 years in Barrow AK so knows cold.