Menu

Proposed Bill in Ohio would require home inspections before homeschooling is "approved"

This is a topic that was introduced today on the Chat Forum.  My computer today is not permitting me to copy other links.  Hopefully someone else will be able to copy the link from the Chat Forum so more be will aware of this bill.

The family that was involved with state Senator Cafaro in writing the legislation says that they don't plan to stop with the state of Ohio since children in all states need to be protected from child abuse. 

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/497980-potentially-new-ohio-law-on-homeschooling/

"The legislation Cafaro is pushing, if passed, would require the background checks and interviews before the children are allowed to become a part of a home school or online program.

School and children service officials would be able to access a statewide data base to determine whether there are past or current abuse investigations against anyone in the child's household. In addition, the guardian must submit to an in person with the child's parents or guardians, and they must allow the children to have age appropriate interviews.

If there are records of child abuse by anyone in the household or if the interviews elicit negative information, it must be passed on to the local superintendent or educational leader."

I think it is a big deal. I am married to an Aussie man and this is just a very different cultural viewpoint. It's a matter of perspective of what each culture values or "sees" in the action. For me it connotes a sense of apathy about the governments role in my personal and family life. So,perspective colors many parts of our life and some of it is funny once you start talking about it.

Most victims of child abuse and/or neglect are below the compulsory education age. I don't see why there is all this hysteria about homeschoolers.

Now I *DO* think it's a "red flag" when a family already involved with CPS decides to withdraw the child(ren) from PS to "homeschool". Not to say that they shouldn't be allowed to do so, but there should be an increase in the monitoring that CPS is already doing.

How many kids in public school are in an abusive household vs. how many in a homeschool environment?  By sheer numbers, because the homeschooling population in the United States is proportionally really small, there are obviously a LOT more kids being abused that are in public school.  So if they really think this approach is the best option for reducing child abuse, then what should really happen is that ALL potential parents have to go through screenings before they can even have children and ALL parents should have periodic visits to see if they have provided a healthy, loving environment for their children.  Targeting only the homeschooling population with this legislation (especially since the boy who was killed was in public school and being abused for years before he started homeschooling) is like trying to prevent drug use in pre-teens and teenagers by passing a law that requires all 12 year olds on tennis teams to do yearly drug testing because some twelve year old who recently joined a tennis team was caught using drugs.

Does there need to be some regulation of homeschoolers to prevent abusive parents from "homeschooling" so the abuse goes unnoticed?  Sure.  Yes, unfortunately I think this is important.  It just really, really concerns me that knee jerk reaction legislation that doesn't actually address the problem could be seen as a good thing if the right "spin" is put on it.  People jump on the bandwagon all the time without really looking at what they are standing up for.

We used to have 3 yearly checks here (NZ) but now they only occur if a concern is raised. You do have to get a paper signed by the principal to get a home schooling exemption and I have heard a few of a few people who have had problems (generally though kids who weren't attending regularly and the principal doubted the kids would be educated "as regularly and well" as at school as required by law). Since it is often schools who detect abuse it does not seem that unreasonable to me. The state has a duty to protect children. It would probably be possible to come up with a way people found less intrusive though. We do have a less strident view of parental rights in general though I think.

Teddy was being abused long before he was removed from the school system.  They need to analyze why he fell through the cracks before he was even pulled out of the school system.  Doing background checks on everybody that applies to homeschool would not have saved Teddy.  Some of the ideas behind it may have merit, but this is knee jerk reaction legislation based on an emotionally charged incident.  They are not thinking through all the ramifications of the bill as it is currently written...

They also state that this law will not cost much to implement.  Truly?  Background checks and interviews for everyone who applies to homeschool?  Have they actually added up those numbers?

With one child, they are a little bit more focused on socialization then with a larger family.

We have a sport, art-lessons in group and the church, that makes 4 days of 'contacts'.

During schoolvactions she attend daycamps or stay over at family.

I suppose 2 activities (3 days of contacts} could be enough.

A larger family can have 1-2 days with contacts 'outside the family'.

I call it 'days', but most activities take 1 hour...

Belgium loves paperwork, so we get a certificate at everything we attend.

I file them in a portfolio.

Holy Cow, are you serious? Forced socialization just to "check a box" would never fly here.  There is no way I would ever let the government tell me how much or what kind of social interactions my children must have.  They don't have the right unless we give it to them.  This applies to "Teddy's Law" as well. There is cause for concern because some law makers actually think they can come into our homes and tell us what is best for our children. Cafaro is over reaching, she seems to have realized this herself....

if you read the comments made by Cafaro on the "teddy's Law" FB page (https://www.facebook.com/Teddyslaw01)  you'll see that she doesn't think that it will become a law as it is currently written. 

Cafaro writes:

This has nothing to do with public school teachers or politics. Teddy lived in Ohio, regardless of where his father resides. His story broke my heart and I wanted to take action to find a way to curtail those who exploit home school options such as Internet based community schools, in order to isolate a child. I included traditional home schools so there was not a loophole from the start. I anticipate the legislative process will yield modifications to the bill and find compromise if we have any chance of success. We will likely need to limit to Internet based community schools and find a way to best address 4th amendment concerns to avoid litigation. 

the bill is primarily written specifically about Internet based community schools. While the regulations in the bill as currently written are also applied to traditional home schools, it is in a separate part of the bill as it is a different part of the statute. I recognize everyone's passion on this issue. I look forward to continued dialogue, I just wanted to be clear that I understand the distinction between Internet based community schools and what would be considered traditional home schooling and was aware of the distinction prior to introduction of the bill.

. We will likely need to limit to Internet based community schools and find a way to best address 4th amendment concerns to avoid litigation. 

the bill is primarily written specifically about Internet based community schools. While the regulations in the bill as currently written are also applied to traditional home schools, it is in a separate part of the bill as it is a different part of the statute. I recognize everyone's passion on this issue. I look forward to continued dialogue, I just wanted to be clear that I understand the distinction between Internet based community schools and what would be considered traditional home schooling and was aware of the distinction prior to introduction of the bill.

Ok, now I am really confused.  Is she saying that child abusers prefer to use internet based schools so those are what should be regulated or that she thinks the bill won't pass if they don't limit it to internet based schools?  What kind of logic is that, either way?  Is she really wanting to help abused kids or LOOK like she is helping abused kids?

I'm aware the Belgian situation would never be accepted in the USA, and I don't think it will ever happen.

And of course I understand one fight against more restrictions, but I can homeschool according the law or I can send our child to school.

Of course, I wasn't intending to be offensive, it's so hard to put feeling and emotion into text.  I was just astounded/surprised that socialization would be a requirement.   

No hard feelings, I understand it can be surprising :001_smile:

We got an inspection twice now, and most of the time the conversation is about education not socialization. I've a bigger problem with the new examrequirements then with filing some papers to 'proof' socialization. The latter has less impact on our lives. She isn't forced to attend something she doesn't like. She has to attend 'something' ;)

Out of curiosity, what are the new exam requirements, if you don't mind my asking?  

I'm just reading this so forgive me for my ignorance, but has this already been made a law what is going on. Should I expect

someone to contact me about these visits. I can't say that I'm happy about this but if I have to do it to continue to homeschool I guess I would have no choice. Thanks in advance.

I'm just reading this so forgive me for my ignorance, but has this already been made a law what is going on. Should I expect

someone to contact me about these visits. I can't say that I'm happy about this but if I have to do it to continue to homeschool I guess I would have no choice. Thanks in advance.

Go to the links earlier in this post or on the Chat board for more info but no this has not been made a law, yet.

Really, you must do your own research on these things! Would you take some internet stranger's word for it that a CPS agent is going to knock on your door, and prepare yourself to do whatever anybody says? Would you take someone's word for it online that the law has not changed? Are you registered with your state in the first place? Are you in compliance with the law right now?

Each homeschooling family is responsible for learning the law regarding homeschooling in their own state.

At age 11/grade6 passing Exams in Dutch, French, Math, Social Studies, showing a portfolio for fine arts (incl. music, drama etc.}, passing a P.E. test.

one 'failure' is allowed, a second failure means back to school.

If one didn't pass these exams at age 13, one have to go back to school.

At age 13/grade 8 passing exams in Dutch, English, French, Math, Sciences, History, Geography, Intro to Economics, Technical Education. For Languages oral AND written exams.

one failure is allowed a second failure means back to school

If one didn't pass these exams at age 15, one have to go back to school.

The French speaking part and German speaking part of Belgium are even worse with more exams....

Just curious what happens to the kids that are in school who fail these exams? 

At age 11/grade6 passing Exams in Dutch, French, Math, Social Studies, showing a portfolio for fine arts (incl. music, drama etc.}, passing a P.E. test.

one 'failure' is allowed, a second failure means back to school.

If one didn't pass these exams at age 13, one have to go back to school.

At age 13/grade 8 passing exams in Dutch, English, French, Math, Sciences, History, Geography, Intro to Economics, Technical Education. For Languages oral AND written exams.

one failure is allowed a second failure means back to school

If one didn't pass these exams at age 15, one have to go back to school.

The French speaking part and German speaking part of Belgium are even worse with more exams....

Thanks so much for the response!  I appreciate your willingness to share.

Just curious what happens to the kids that are in school who fail these exams? 

Good point.  I'm curious, too.  

Really, you must do your own research on these things! Would you take some internet stranger's word for it that a CPS agent is going to knock on your door, and prepare yourself to do whatever anybody says? Would you take someone's word for it online that the law has not changed? Are you registered with your state in the first place? Are you in compliance with the law right now?

Each homeschooling family is responsible for learning the law regarding homeschooling in their own state.

Of course I would and will be doing my own research, this just came as a shock to read! Yes I am registered with the state and yes I am in compliance. This is a homeschooling forum and I just figured I would ask

here that doesn't mean that I take everything I read here as the law!

There was no links above but I have already done my research, so I know what this is about!

Thanks

Of course I would and will be doing my own research, this just came as a shock to read! Yes I am registered with the state and yes I am in compliance. This is a homeschooling forum and I just figured I would ask

here that doesn't mean that I take everything I read here as the law!

There was no links above but I have already done my research, so I know what this is about!

Thanks

I am really sorry!  This thread is on two different boards and I thought the links were on this one (tired brain).  The links were on the thread over at the Chat board.  Didn't mean to give you bad information...so sorry.

Thanks!

When you are at school, and you 'fail' your exams you have to switch to a more vocational track, with more basic academics, less foreign languages, less sciences, and a kind of 'social studies'.

But that is secondary level.

Elementary is a 'one size fits all' program.

Thanks so much for sharing.

Yep, withdrawn. Here is the email:

By 3:30 pm today (12/19/13), Senator Cafaro had issued this statement, which has been confirmed:

"SB 248 was never meant to be a policy debate about educating children in the home. It was meant to address weaknesses in the law pertaining to child protection. Unfortunately, the true intent of the bill to curtail child abuse has been eclipsed the by the issue of homeschooling.

After consultation with Teddy’s family, we have collectively decided the best course of action is for me to withdraw SB 248, and instead pursue a more comprehensive approach to address the current challenges in the state’s social service and criminal justice system.

It is our hope that this new focus will bring the discussion back to where it was always intended to be: protecting children. I am requesting field hearings to address the impact of current law, government agencies and nonprofit organizations on child welfare in Ohio. I will not include any content related to education in the home in a new bill, or in any other bill.

Through this process, it is our goal to craft a new bill to honor Teddy’s legacy and to protect vulnerable children like him in the future.

For your review, I have included copies of my letter to President Faber indicating my plan to withdraw SB 248 with a motion on the Senate floor, as well as my letter to Medicaid, Health and Human Services Chair Shannon Jones, to request field hearings on the topic of child abuse in the New Year."

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=626877527370494&set=a.625953160796264.1073741825.279952678729649&type=1

This message was sent by Anne Fields Gavorski using the Change.org system. You received this email because you signed a petition started by Anne Fields Gavorski on Change.org: "Sen. Capri Cafaro: Withdraw Ohio Senate Bill 248." Change.org does not endorse contents of this message.

Yay for homeschoolers in Ohio! But EWWWW to the above b/c it sounds like blaming homeschoolers for slowing down protection for abused children.

Yeah, and I love how she acts like it was never about homeschooling, yet she was targeting... homeschoolers. I think people still don't realize just how many homeschoolers there are. They think it's still some fringe population. 

Yay for homeschoolers in Ohio! But EWWWW to the above b/c it sounds like blaming homeschoolers for slowing down protection for abused children.

I agree with this completely.  It makes it sound like the homeschoolers that prevented the poorly worded and pathetically researched and planned out bill from getting serious consideration actually was just a bunch of uncaring, unfeeling people who are determined to protect their rights as individuals regardless of how many abused children will suffer because this bill doesn't get passed.  It is like she is saying homeschoolers prevented abused kids from getting the help they needed...