Menu

WWYD Correct this or let it go?

KatieJ

For those of you who recall my situation with a local sewing store and the full refund I had to fight to get, here's more.

Recently I received a letter from the State's attorney general with a copy of the response they received from the sewing store.

The sewing store explaination is definately in their favor and describes me as indecisive and last minute.  The facts are, they didn't notify me when they claim they did, and the reason I cancelled the day before the event is that is the time frame they gave me.

I did get my refund, even tho I had to fight for it.  Do I follow up with a letter to the AG pointing out the details, or just let it go.

I might follow up. If I did, I would be specific with dates of communication and provide copies of emails that back up my statements.

I'd probably only follow up if there was a chance that I would be required to pay back my refund, because my life is a bit stressful and having time to get to this kind of stuff is hard. I would still think I should follow up because I hate being painted in a dishonest manner.

I probably would... they might take a lack of response as conceding the facts of the case.

Yes. I pretty make this a guiding principle of my life: silence = approval. I am not very popular, but I figure that I am making things better for the consumers/parents/citizens who come behind me.

It's important to you, obviously, so yes. I'd keep it very short and very factual. Please accept this letter as a rebuttal of the response from the store dated December X, ... The store asserts that they notified me on X date; however, I did not receive notification until X date. (Even better if you can add "as evidenced by...")

They're probably counting on your not following through with the AG.  You need to document your side of the incident.  I agree just make it short and sweet but give the dates documenting when they actually communicated with you.

And I would ask the AG's office to let you know that they have placed your correspondence in their file.  Then you can put it to bed.

Follow up.

Keep it business-like, unemotional, and factual.

Provide a bulleted list of dates with interactions, like so:

12/16/13 Received cancellation notice in mail (attached).

12/16/13 Called store and spoke with Jane Doe regarding the proposed substitution for the retreat. Jane Doe offered XYZ; I requested refund.

Also attach printed emails and any documentation (photocopied).