Menu

Christmas Movies?

Michelle My Bell

I don't know what it is about this time of year, but I get a hankering to watch Christmas Movies. I love the old favorites, mixed up with a few cheesy feel goods and everything in between. What are some of your favorites? I watched White Christmas already, still need to watch It's a Wonderful Life. I just saw Christmas Shoes and the Christmas Blessing the other day. Another fun one was The Christmas Lodge. 

After looking over my Netflix activity, here are some more I've seen:

Dear Santa 

Lovestruck: The Musical

Jack Frost

Last year we discovered Christmas Story and loved it.  It'll be a new standard for us.  It's dubbed, but not in a cheesy fashion.  They do alright with it.  The story is good. 

To others trying to post:  Not sure why this thread isn't allowing for a direct reply, but if you hit Quote it pulls the reply box up.  :)

I don't know what it is about this time of year, but I get a hankering to watch Christmas Movies. I love the old favorites, mixed up with a few cheesy feel goods and everything in between. What are some of your favorites? I watched White Christmas already, still need to watch It's a Wonderful Life. I just saw Christmas Shoes and the Christmas Blessing the other day. Another fun one was The Christmas Lodge. 

Dear Santa 

Jack Frost

My list:

Scrooged

Best Christmas Pageant Ever

Santa Claus (80s movie with Dudley Moore)

Christmas With the Kranks

Polar Express

The Homecoming (Waltons)

A Christmas Story

Scrooge/A Christmas Carol--pick your favorite :-) Mine is George C. Scott

While You Were Sleeping (yes, it's a Christmas movie)

The Santa Clause (all three of them)

Claymation Christmas

And some unlikely Christmas movies:

About a Boy

The Princess Bride

Die Hard

The Bourne Identity

Three Days of the Condor

Hook

Desk Set

Jumanji

Funny Farm

Ghost Busters 2

My list:

Scrooged

Polar Express

The Homecoming (Waltons)

A Christmas Story

Claymation Christmas

About a Boy

The Princess Bride

Die Hard

The Bourne Identity

Three Days of the Condor

Hook

Desk Set

Jumanji

Funny Farm

Ghost Busters 2

Great lists! Thanks Ellie. I especially like your "unlikely" list. 

Last we discovered Christmas Story and loved it.  It'll be a new standard for us.  It's dubbed, but not in a cheesy fashion.  They do alright with it.  The story is good. 

To others trying to post:  Not sure why this thread isn't allowing for a direct reply, but if you hit Quote it pulls the reply box up.  :)

That looks really. I will have to get that. Thanks!!!

Dear Santa 

Jack Frost

They don't have it on Netflix right now, but look for "Christmas in Connecticut" on TMC or elsewhere.  (If you like classic films.)

I also love "The Bishop's WIfe'…both the Cary Grant version and the one with Whitney Houston.

"The Shop Around the Corner"

"Miracle on 34th "

"Elf"

The Tim Allen "Santa Clause" movie

"Love Actually" and "Bridget Jones" because of the Christmas sweaters…although I haven't watched them in awhile, so not sure if they will hold up.

The Homecoming (Waltons)

the Christmas card

snoopy (it's just not Christmas without it)

home alone

muppets Christmas carol

original miracle on 34th street

the family man

while you were sleeping

the Christmas wish

unlikely Christmas movies:

Die Hard

Hook

we're no angles with Humphrey bogart

trading places

They don't have it on Netflix right now, but look for "Christmas in Connecticut" on TMC or elsewhere.  (If you like classic films.)

I also love "The Bishop's WIfe'…both the Cary Grant version and the one with Whitney Houston.

"Miracle on 34th "

"Elf"

"Love Actually" and "Bridget Jones" because of the Christmas sweaters…although I haven't watched them in awhile, so not sure if they will hold up.

Love Actually is my favorite!  Not kid friendly, though, in case that's a consideration.

I also love Elf, Die Hard, and the Tim Allen Santa Clause movies.

ETA:  Oh, and The Ref!  That was always my favorite before Love Actually.  Also not kid friendly, but hilarious!

For some reason when I tried to post on this topic, it came up with a message "You are not allowed to post on this topic."  Why?  But it DOES let me post if I quote someone!  I've never had that happen before.

Anyway, a list of our favorites:

White Christmas

It's a Wonderful Life

A Christmas Carol (with George C Scott)

A Muppet Christmas Carol

Little Women (it's not all about Christmas, but it does have some neat Christmas scenes in it, plus I have 4 daughters, so we've always watched it  :)

These are some we'll watch every five years maybe:

Miracle on 34th St.

Christmas in Connecticut

A Holiday Affair

It Happened on Fifth Avenue

The Bells of St. Mary's

The Shop Around the Corner

Dear Santa 

Jack Frost

"Miracle on 34th "

"Elf"

How could I forget Elf and Miracle on 34th Street??? ::face palm::

Oh, and someone else mentioned Home Alone. I have both HA 1 and HA 2 (HA 3 wasn't very good).

The truth is that I didn't want to get up off my chair and walk down the hall to check my movies, lol.

you want the version with Barbara Stanwyck.  there's a remake with Diane Cannon. (which has it's moments, but the other is better.)

Last year we discovered Christmas Story and loved it.  It'll be a new standard for us.  It's dubbed, but not in a cheesy fashion.  They do alright with it.  The story is good. 

Eloise at Christmas is a favorite here. 

Santa Clause 1 and 2. 

It's a Wonderful Life

I love while you were sleeping but somehow the dvd got lost :( :'(

How has nobody mentioned christmas vacation? If i only get to watch one christmas movie it's going to be that one!

My list:

Scrooged

Polar Express

The Homecoming (Waltons)

A Christmas Story

Claymation Christmas

About a Boy

The Princess Bride

Die Hard

The Bourne Identity

Three Days of the Condor

Hook

Desk Set

Jumanji

Funny Farm

Ghost Busters 2

My daughter said we shouldn't forget Meet Me in St. Louis. 

Also, I am in college and one of my classes we have to have a blog. Well, I am a few posts shy to finish it up so I decided to turn my question into a blog post. You can view it here: http://saywhatchasee.blogspot.com

I added even more movies than were mentioned here, thanks to IMBD. Tomorrow I am going to make an Unlikely Christmas Movie list so feel free to keep adding those here. Thanks so much everyone!!

Love Actually is my favorite!  Not kid friendly, though, in case that's a consideration.

I also love Elf, Die Hard, and the Tim Allen Santa Clause movies.

ETA:  Oh, and The Ref!  That was always my favorite before Love Actually.  Also not kid friendly, but hilarious!

The Ref!!! I totally forgot about that movie! It was hilarious…but definitely not kid friendly.

Not letting me multiquote, but I had no idea about the Dyan Cannon remake of "Christmas in Connecticut"…definitely get the original.  Lead character is a Martha Stewart-like character, but a total sham.  It's great.  It has the wonderful S.Z. Sakall in it too.  It will make you hungry, though.  

My kids all love the "Home Alone" movies.

I don't like sappy movies but I love White Christmas. I especially love when the general walks in and all his old unit is there.

My other Christmas movies are all comedies:

A Christmas Story
Christmas Vacation
The Santa Clause (only the first one)
Home Alone

No Elf because I can't stand Will Ferrell, but my guys like it.