Menu

Potatoes, real or box...

bettyandbob

I make "real" potatoes but for years happily ate the boxed potatoes my sister made.  Her family preferred smooth, unlumpy potatoes and that was the easiest way to get them. Despite comments to the contrary, they are easier:  no washing and/or peeling, no mashing, quicker cooking time.

<Shrug> I don't get the exclamations of horror over boxed potatoes! 

I am all about high quality foods for ultimate taste and nutrition and boxed potatoes just don't fit in that category.

Instant potatoes do have nutritional value and taste is subjective. As for high quality, meh. We raise free-range chickens and turkeys for high quality meat and eggs. I still like chicken mcnuggets every once in a while. I have a friend that produces her own maple syrup, uses every exotic grain going and makes most everything from scratch as well. But her stuffing still comes from a box because that's what she loves.

I've only had instant mashed potatoes a few times in my life but I think they taste good. Not quite like homemade but I wouldn't expect that. That said I've have some horrible homemade mashed potatoes. Some types of potatoes are simply not good mashed and when you FIL brings the immersion blender to mash potatoes, run.

For mashed potatoes, I only use real potatoes -- preferably done with a hand masher, skins on. I own a ricer, but find that I prefer my mashed potatoes on the chunkier end of the spectrum. I do sometimes buy the potato flakes to use as a gluten free substitute for breadcrumbs in recipes, though.

For those who abhor "boxed potatoes" - do you realize that they are just dehydrated potatoes? To prepare the kind I use (Honest Earth Creamy Mash), you bring water and butter to a boil, take off the heat, and stir in milk and the instant potato flakes. Let it sit for a few minutes then whip a bit. It's not "just add water" - you use what you use with "real potatoes" and get the same flavor. You could even use sour cream, cheese, garlic, etc. Maybe ya'll had a bad experience with a cheap brand that was made with just water, and you're thinking that all instant potatoes taste like paste?

For those who abhor "boxed potatoes" - do you realize that they are just dehydrated potatoes? To prepare the kind I use (Honest Earth Creamy Mash), you bring water and butter to a boil, take off the heat, and stir in milk and the instant potato flakes. Let it sit for a few minutes then whip a bit. It's not "just add water" - you use what you use with "real potatoes" and get the same flavor. You could even use sour cream, cheese, garlic, etc. Maybe ya'll had a bad experience with a cheap brand that was made with just water, and you're thinking that all instant potatoes taste like paste?

I think next time I go to the grocery store I'm going to buy some potatoes like this.   I am not a huge mashed potato lover but now I'm craving some.  ;)   

Uh, no. Dehydrated and flaked food will never, ever taste the same as fresh food no matter what you do to it. Yes, I've had many of the "good" brands mentioned here. It's still not the same.

The only boxed potatoes that we have eaten in the past are scalloped potatoes, and not for a Holiday.  My Mom would buy them for a crowd sized meal with extended kiddoes and their families.  Easy.  No one complained.  Mashed out of a box......I don't think so.

OK, interesting. We don't have anything that complicated here, but I do live in a developing country.

I think it'd be good in a developing country, because you do not need fresh potatoes. You can have a box of instant potatoes on your shelf for months, at least.  They are also much easier  and faster to make.

Nutritionally it is very similar to using real potatoes, though it has higher sodium and less dietary fiber.