Menu

Anything like Liberty Kids for World History?

Another plug for horrible histories, my kids found it on discovery streaming plus and spent hours being entertained while learning from it.  It's not nearly as comprehensive as Liberty kids though ...but it did make them think and seemed to directly address the questions kids are likely to have.

My DS11 likes Drive Thru History. It's not animated and not a complete history but does give an overview of certain time periods with some humor included that keeps it fun. There are episodes on world history and separate ones on American history. Has a Christian perspective, but we also enjoy it as secular homeschoolers, if that matters to you.

On Netflix:  http://dvd.netflix.com/Search?oq=&ac_posn=&v1=%22drive+thru+history%22

If you want more resources to go with it, there are free downloadable discussion guides available on their website:  http://www.drivethruhistory.com/downloads/

Another vote for Horrible Histories here too, both the BBC version and the cartoon version.

I just ordered a new DVD set of Kid's Animated History with Pipo. I've also seen it referred to as Time Compass. We've seen two or three episodes and it's great if you are covering early world history. You can watch it on Hulu Plus, but as we only need it to match up with what we're doing here and there, it isn't worth paying for Hulu. It was cheaper to buy it. I found it through an affiliated seller on Amazon for half the price Amazon was offering. 

I just ordered a new DVD set of Kid's Animated History with Pipo. I've also seen it referred to as Time Compass. We've seen two or three episodes and it's great if you are covering early world history. You can watch it on Hulu Plus, but as we only need it to match up with what we're doing here and there, it isn't worth paying for Hulu. It was cheaper to buy it. I found it through an affiliated seller on Amazon for half the price Amazon was offering. 

I've never heard of this one. What is the age range for these?

Just discovered "Crash Course: World History", on youtube with John Green (author of The Fault in our Stars YA fic)

I'm just watching the first 11 minute episode on the Agric Rev.  He's witty.

Just at a quick glance may I give a round of applause to Beth S. for sharing??

After I watch more of it I think we should tell the larger forum about Crash Course. It looks quite good.

Thank you Beth!

Alley

While it's more appropriate for middle school and up, we all love Crash Course too.  Every time I mention the Mongols, the kids hum that little tune and we all giggle.  I think at some time in the last year or so, I dropped my literary crush on Michael Chabon in favor of John Green.  I wish the science crash courses and SciShow were a little more accessible for a younger audience.  His brother talks just as fast and the science is more complex.

While it's totally different, we're doing The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles this year for modern history.  A couple of years ago, for the age of exploration and early Americas, we watched The Mysterious Cities of Gold.  That show rocks.

My kids found the animated American Horrible Histories to be horrible in the bad way.  It did seem rather dumbed down compared to the BBC version.  Oh, Americans, why do you have to ruin everything that's great about UK telly?

ETA: Thought of one more.  If you can get your hands on it, CBBC made a series of The Roman Mysteries.

While it's more appropriate for middle school and up, we all love Crash Course too.  Every time I mention the Mongols, the kids hum that little tune and we all giggle.  I think at some time in the last year or so, I dropped my literary crush on Michael Chabon in favor of John Green.  I wish the science crash courses and SciShow were a little more accessible for a younger audience.  His brother talks just as fast and the science is more complex.

While it's totally different, we're doing The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles this year for modern history.  A couple of years ago, for the age of exploration and early Americas, we watched The Mysterious Cities of Gold.  That show rocks.

My kids found the animated American Horrible Histories to be horrible in the bad way.  It did seem rather dumbed down compared to the BBC version.  Oh, Americans, why do you have to ruin everything that's great about UK telly?

ETA: Thought of one more.  If you can get your hands on it, CBBC made a series of The Roman Mysteries.

I don't mean to sound like a prude -- I'm not one when I'm just being me, but I am one as a mom apparently. I watched the Crash Course for a few minutes and it shows how the early hunter/gatherers had more time for music, art and you know. And he showed a picture of people under the covers w/ hearts coming out of the blankets.

He didn't call it, um, TeA -- he called it something funny, but how many references to TeA are in Crash Courses? Do you know?

Alley

I don't mean to sound like a prude -- I'm not one when I'm just being me, but I am one as a mom apparently. I watched the Crash Course for a few minutes and it shows how the early hunter/gatherers had more time for music, art and you know. And he showed a picture of people under the covers w/ hearts coming out of the blankets.

He didn't call it, um, TeA -- he called it something funny, but how many references to TeA are in Crash Courses? Do you know?

Alley

Not many.  That first one is the one that stood out the most for me.  There's never anything more graphic than that, but he does mention other references to teA in appropriate historical context.

I'm pretty liberal with my kids.  Very liberal, actually.  It was fine to me for them to see that.  But I recognize that it wouldn't be for other parents.  That's why I said more of a middle school thing - the analysis level and the quirky references.  And, of course, some parents here are pretty conservative and the offhandedness of his attitude would make the whole thing not okay at any age.

Not many.  That first one is the one that stood out the most for me.  There's never anything more graphic than that, but he does mention other references to teA in appropriate historical context.

I'm pretty liberal with my kids.  Very liberal, actually.  It was fine to me for them to see that.  But I recognize that it wouldn't be for other parents.  That's why I said more of a middle school thing - the analysis level and the quirky references.  And, of course, some parents here are pretty conservative and the offhandedness of his attitude would make the whole thing not okay at any age.

Ha yeah my 6-yo was like, "What's 'scoodleypooping??!"

• 2 weeks later...

I've never heard of this one. What is the age range for these?

The title on the DVD box is Kid's Animated History with Pipo, by Questar. 16 ancient cultures: Rome, Greece, Celts and Vikings, India, Mesopotamia, Carolingian, Byzantine, Islam, Egypt, Persians, Hebrews, Aztecs, Mayans, Incas, China, Japan. Ages 7 to 12. My daughter first viewed them a little younger than that, but she has pretty good retention of details and did fine with them. I see them as something my kids will get introductory information from the first time around. The next time we need the info they will benefit from some of the more philosphical ideas covered. Information is presented pretty quickly. I'm happy with the series, but if everything is new to them I don't think they'll absorb it all if very on the younger end of the age range.

By the way, I looked at that Kid's Animated History with Pipo show and it seemed really useful.  The first season (ancients to the middle ages, mostly) is on Hulu Plus if you have that (it might also be on regular Hulu...  not sure since I have Plus...)  Thanks for the suggestion!

By the way, I looked at that Kid's Animated History with Pipo show and it seemed really useful. The first season (ancients to the middle ages, mostly) is on Hulu Plus if you have that (it might also be on regular Hulu... not sure since I have Plus...) Thanks for the suggestion!

Quick question: I ordered these and haven't watched them yet, but I'm hoping someone who has can tell me if the information presented seems accurate. I ask because in the little summary blurbs on the box the dates for the Inca empire were way off. I'm hoping that is just an error on the box?

Quick question: I ordered these and haven't watched them yet, but I'm hoping someone who has can tell me if the information presented seems accurate. I ask because in the little summary blurbs on the box the dates for the Inca empire were way off. I'm hoping that is just an error on the box?

As I literally just skimmed through the one on Egypt, I can't really say.  It was goofy - think jokey the way Bill Nye episodes are - and covered lots of different little bits of information.  All pretty basic, but seemed good.  I will probably let my kids watch them when it's time to review all that history next year.