Menu

College Plus - really???

A friend has been raving about College Plus, but I find it difficult to believe that good colleges will accept two years worth of transfer credit "coursework" that is really just CLEP test scores and doesn't include GPA.  Colleges will accept this?  Really???  Has anyone here had their dc do this successfully or known a student who did this successfully?  If so, what was their major?  How many more years did they need to complete on site coursework?

A friend has been raving about College Plus, but I find it difficult to believe that good colleges will accept two years worth of transfer credit "coursework" that is really just CLEP test scores and doesn't include GPA.  Colleges will accept this?  Really???  Has anyone here had their dc do this successfully or known a student who did this successfully?  If so, what was their major?  How many more years did they need to complete on site coursework?

College Plus works with several universities to arrange a series of study/CLEP credits and online distance classes to complete the full 120 credits required for a full Bachelor's degree. Because so many of the courses are self-paced/self-study, the Bachelor's degree is typically earned in 2 to 2.5 years, rather than 4 years. No on-site college coursework is necessary in order to earn the degree, although it is possible to include such credits as part of the degree.

Yes, we do know someone who successfully did this. The DD of a good friend who graduated with our older DS simultaneously earned her BS in Natural Science from Thomas Edison College via College Plus, during the last 2 years of her homeschool high school. We also know 2 other young women in the midst of earning their BAs through this program; one graduated from high school in May, and is completing her last 6 classes right now, and will earn her BA in English in December. The other young woman started as a high school sophomore and plans to take the last 3 years of high school to simultaneously complete a BA through College Plus. She is a junior this year; I don't know what specific degree major she is working towards.

Several people on this Board have discussed that it is also possible to arrange a similar program of study on their own, in order to bypass paying for the College Plus services.

I will be interested to see not only how well-accepted this type of degree is, but also those that are earned from the rapidly-growing ability of all-distance-learning coursework for earning a Bachelor's degree. I am esp. thinking of those who earn a Bachelor's degree this way, and desire to continue on and earn a Master's degree, as many Master's programs require a GPA, which, as you mentioned, is not part of the CLEP testing credits.

Here are several past threads on College Plus:

Dual enroll at home through College Plus?

College Plus / High School CLEP college resources

College Plus?

Don't know of anyone who only completed part of a degree program through College Plus and then tried to transfer those credits to a different college. Most universities limit the total number of transfer credits from any other university or community college -- and also limit total amount of CLEP credits -- that will count towards a degree.

Does that help answer your concern? Warmest regards, Lori D.

It is pretty easy to find out if a particular school accepts Clep credit. Simply google the school's name ap Clep IB credit and you should be able to find out exactly what you want to know. Some schools will not give Clep credit at all.....and not just elite schools. For example, Clemson, Auburn, William and Mary don't accept CLEP credit. There are numerous schools that have a short list of CLEP courses they give credit for, so they accept some but not all.

You really should look at individual schools to get a better idea.

I know of a girl (her family attends church w/ my friend) who did College Plus. Not sure what major she did or which degree she got, but it was a Bachelor's, from Thomas Edison, I believe.

She then took the GRE and scored very high and was admitted to and is now studying at William & Mary's School of Law.

Edit:

This was corrected below (after I had my error pointed out), but it was the LSAT, not the GRE. 

One of the concerns that I have about both CLEP and AP when used as a means to accumulate credit is simply that colleges change policies.  Obviously we all need to plan, but, the way the wind is blowing these days, the general trend is for fewer schools to give credit for these tests.  We saw this when my now senior in college was in high school.  Colleges that had formerly given AP credit for a score of 3 were no longer giving credit except for 4's and 5's or were limiting the number of AP credits.  Similarly, I have seen colleges reduce the number of CLEP exams that are accepted.

The challenge here is to insure that the student is on a clear path regarding a major if you are banking on using tests to accrue credit.  For example, if a student at age fifteen or sixteen expresses a desire to study business, College Plus might be a way to go.  But if he realizes a year later that he would prefer an allied health profession or engineering will those CLEP credits transfer? 

I know of a girl (her family attends church w/ my friend) who did College Plus. Not sure what major she did or which degree she got, but it was a Bachelor's, from Thomas Edison, I believe.

She then took the GRE and scored very high and was admitted to and is now studying at William & Mary's School of Law.

I have some questions about this story, First there is the reference to an incorrect test for law school admissions (GRE is not used, LSAT is). I assume you, Angie, may have mixed this up. If you did not, then that is fishy, as well. 

But in looking at US New's rankings, the law school at William and Mary is not ranked as far as I can tell which makes me wonder about it as a destination (the college itself is ranked #32 so it doesn't seem likely they overlooked the law school). My dh's law firm does recruit in the same geographic area but does not recruit at William and Mary (the recruit at UVa, Duke, Wake, and UNC for instance). 

I have some questions about this story, First there is the reference to an incorrect test for law school admissions (GRE is not used, LSAT is). I assume you, Angie, may have mixed this up. If you did not, then that is fishy, as well. 

But in looking at US New's rankings, the law school at William and Mary is not ranked as far as I can tell which makes me wonder about it as a destination (the college itself is ranked #32 so it doesn't seem likely they overlooked the law school). My dh's law firm does recruit in the same geographic area but does not recruit at William and Mary (the recruit at UVa, Duke, Wake, and UNC for instance). 

Here are some law school rankings that include William and Mary if it matters to you how W & M ranks.

I think the point is Candid, yes, you really can get a degree through College Plus and yes, that degree really is accepted. No one claimed it is your ticket into Harvard. It is an inexpensive way to get a degree. An even less expensive way is to join the CLEP for homeschool group and follow the lesson plans the list owner sells to get your degree through TESC. 

College Plus doesn't work for all colleges. You have to work with one of theirs. Most schools do not transfer in 2 years worth of CLEPs, but there are quite a few that DO. It isn't a scam. Just know what you are buying. 

There are a number of young people in our community that are enrolled in College Plus including my 22-year-old son, who is on week 3. He is very involved in ministry and wants to be equipped to move on to seminary at some point. He is in a program to graduate from Moody Bible Institute. He absolutely needs the hand holding and encouragement that CP provides.

He is the oldest student that I know of. We have one young woman who is using CP at the end of her college career. She graduated with an AA from our local community college and has accumulated many other credits since then. CP is helping her to consolidate it all into a 4-year degree.

Thanks, all.  I didn't understand, based on what my friend said, that the degree needed to be completed at the same college via online courses.  So, that makes more sense than transferring a bunch of CLEP credits when so many schools won't accept many.  It also makes more sense that grad schools would accept a completed degree from an accredited college, regardless of how it was earned.  According to the comments here and in those threads Lori linked, at least some good grad schools still accept degrees from places like Thomas Edison, even if many of the credits were earned via CLEP and the rest were distance ed classes (which would provide the needed GPA).  I'm noticing that the grad school examples given are usually of law schools, though.  I wonder how that works for grad degree programs in other fields.  Does anyone know?

Thanks, all. I didn't understand, based on what my friend said, that the degree needed to be completed at the same college via online courses. So, that makes more sense than transferring a bunch of CLEP credits when so many schools won't accept many. It also makes more sense that grad schools would accept a completed degree from an accredited college, regardless of how it was earned. According to the comments here and in those threads Lori linked, at least some good grad schools still accept degrees from places like Thomas Edison, even if many of the credits were earned via CLEP and the rest were distance ed classes (which would provide the needed GPA). I'm noticing that the grad school examples given are usually of law schools, though. I wonder how that works for grad degree programs in other fields. Does anyone know?

I would check it out very carefully. I know that our ds is planning on transferring 200 and 300 level coursework from a couple of different universities and he was told specifically by a couple of different dept heads/deans at different schools that they wouldn't accept the coursework if the classes had been completed online.

I'm noticing that the grad school examples given are usually of law schools, though.  I wonder how that works for grad degree programs in other fields.  Does anyone know?

I talked to one person whose child went to med school with an undergrad degree from Thomas Edison. I would guess some very impressive test scores are necessary to go with an online degree for any grad school. Most of the online degree programs are in humanities or computers. For obvious reasons advanced science classes don't work well online (labs). 

In this state, you can't get a teaching certificate online either. There are limitations. However, for those who are trying to hold down costs, or who wouldn't thrive on a college campus for whatever reasons, it is an interesting option. Online education has grown exponentially in the last 10 years. I think the majority of colleges offer at least some online classes now. There are many jobs that employers want a degree and care nothing about where it is from. I'm sure there are master's or even doctorate programs that care nothing about where your degree is from if you did well and TEST well.

It isn't so unlike homeschooling. Our kids very often have to prove that their learning was what they claim it was with tests. If they don't want to do that, they may reduce their college options, but for most the remaining options will still allow them to find the perfect fit. There are pros and cons of any educational path.

Oh, no, it's all me. I meant LSAT, but my brain could not come up w/ it. Little sleep and all that. Thanks for the correction!

I didn't know that about the law school's ranking. Again, I thank you. :)

Thanks, all.  I didn't understand, based on what my friend said, that the degree needed to be completed at the same college via online courses.  So, that makes more sense than transferring a bunch of CLEP credits when so many schools won't accept many.  It also makes more sense that grad schools would accept a completed degree from an accredited college, regardless of how it was earned.  According to the comments here and in those threads Lori linked, at least some good grad schools still accept degrees from places like Thomas Edison, even if many of the credits were earned via CLEP and the rest were distance ed classes (which would provide the needed GPA).  I'm noticing that the grad school examples given are usually of law schools, though.  I wonder how that works for grad degree programs in other fields.  Does anyone know?

It really varies with the field.  In my field (IT/distance education), degrees done online are almost the norm.  In engineering and many STEM fields, online degrees are really looked down upon.  I really don't think you can generalize. 

For my own children, we're going with bricks-and-mortar schools, whether face-to-face or online.  I want the "name brand" recognition even if there are alternatives that are just as good academically.  I've sat on hiring committees with dozens and dozens of resumes and seen how quickly a resume will be put aside if the school doesn't have a good name, regardless of what else the person did.  That isn't as important in some fields, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Mine are doing some CLEP and AP work with the hope of gaining some credits at the freshman level, but we'd do it even if they don't.  That type of thing proves academics at some level either way.

For my own children, we're going with bricks-and-mortar schools...Mine are doing some CLEP and AP work with the hope of gaining some credits at the freshman level, but we'd do it even if they don't. That type of thing proves academics at some level either way.

This is our philosophy as well. We also had dd (now a freshman at a B&M school) take some SAT 2s in addition to her AP and CLEPs.

I would consider future goals carefully before doing this. The issue is that once a degree has been earned (not just CLEP credits), if the student wishes to change plans, a second bachelor's degree may be necessary. Should that be required, financial aid is often not available which is available for a first degree. I would consider it potentially problematic for admissions to, for example, medical/veterinary school (although I am impressed that someone has done it).

For a very specific example (because mathematics is my field), their mathematics online offerings are insufficient to enable one to proceed to most graduate schools. Their science offerings are also very marginal, and I wonder how the student mentioned above got into medical school. Did they take extra science classes at a community college? Because I don't see Organic Chemistry on the courselist for online, nor can I imagine how it could be taught online.

If you just needed a degree in anything, I think it would be fine.

Their science offerings are also very marginal, and I wonder how the student mentioned above got into medical school. Did they take extra science classes at a community college? Because I don't see Organic Chemistry on the courselist for online, nor can I imagine how it could be taught online.

If you just needed a degree in anything, I think it would be fine.

Perhaps the med school was DO vs MD.  It could also be a Caribbean school.

According to lore on college confidential, lower level law schools are scrambling for students too now that a law degree is < 50% likely to garner one a decent paying law job.

Online degrees work best for jobs where "any" degree is needed to check a box.  I've seen them work well for folks needing a masters, etc. when they already really had all the experience they needed, but not the degree (works for bachelor degrees too).

According to lore on college confidential, lower level law schools are scrambling for students too now that a law degree is < 50% likely to garner one a decent paying law job.

Online degrees work best for jobs where "any" degree is needed to check a box.  I've seen them work well for folks needing a masters, etc. when they already really had all the experience they needed, but not the degree (works for bachelor degrees too).

Yes. For example, for someone like my father (he has no bachelor's, because you didn't need one to get into programming in the '70s, but if he ever needed to change jobs, he would need one) it would be an excellent credential. They also work very well for someone who's currently employed and gets a pay bump if they get a degree.

The med school was MD and in the US. I'm sure they took some local science classes. TESC accepts almost anything in transfer. They would take University classes or CC. I happen to live in a town with 7 colleges/universities, a large CC system and even a seminary. It is pretty easy to get local credits in almost anything.

local friend has daughter who did CP and got online bachelors at age 18.(I have forgotten what the major was.)  Then, she realized that she really wanted to study something else (physics).  She figured it was better to get a 2nd bachelors instead of going into graduate school at age 18.  Found a brick and mortar college that worked with her as a transfer student toward the second major, and that college has good transfer student scholarships.  mileage will vary on that of course.  Maybe it wasn't as big as freshman scholarships, but she isn't paying much with transfer scholarships. And has to take only classes toward major (versus any general ed courses or more electives).   That family doesn't seem to regret starting college in high school, but in some ways they wished they had waited until the student really knew what she wanted to study.

another local friend.... waited on doing CP route until she graduated high school and was more traditional undergradate age. still working on it. biology major, I think?  she has to do some courses at a local college.

both families are happy with the service they get from CP.  Like Debbie said, realize what you are paying for.  It's not a route for everyone for full degree.

local friend has daughter who did CP and got online bachelors at age 18.(I have forgotten what the major was.)  Then, she realized that she really wanted to study something else (physics).  She figured it was better to get a 2nd bachelors instead of going into graduate school at age 18.  Found a brick and mortar college that worked with her as a transfer student toward the second major, and that college has good transfer student scholarships.  mileage will vary on that of course.  Maybe it wasn't as big as freshman scholarships, but she isn't paying much with transfer scholarships. And has to take only classes toward major (versus any general ed courses or more electives).   That family doesn't seem to regret starting college in high school, but in some ways they wished they had waited until the student really knew what she wanted to study.

another local friend.... waited on doing CP route until she graduated high school and was more traditional undergradate age. still working on it. biology major, I think?  she has to do some courses at a local college.

both families are happy with the service they get from CP.  Like Debbie said, realize what you are paying for.  It's not a route for everyone for full degree.

A side note on transferring credits for second degrees:  If a student is CLEPing basic courses for the first degree, make sure that the B&M will accept the credits.  I know someone whose first uni accepted CLEP credits that her second uni did not accept. 

Since we are sharing anecdotes, I thought I would share mine. YMMV of course. 

Physics degrees have very few non-science and math electives (7 to 9 courses in total is normal).  I would suspect that her math and science courses at most met the requirements of freshman and perhaps 1st semester sophomore level studies.  I can't imagine her bachelors degree has really gained her much ground overall......I can't imagine more than 3 semesters worth of credit.  

Also, a bachelors in physics is pretty much useless unless you want to teach high school physics.   I would wonder how all those online classes impact admissions into graduate school.   I know from looking just into undergrad programs for our ds that we have been told by 2 schools that they wouldn't accept his physics/math credits if the courses had been taken online vs. on campus.(And these have just been regular old public universities, not elite institutions.)

A side note on transferring credits for second degrees:  If a student is CLEPing basic courses for the first degree, make sure that the B&M will accept the credits.  I know someone whose first uni accepted CLEP credits that her second uni did not accept. 

Since we are sharing anecdotes, I thought I would share mine. YMMV of course. 

I hear ya.  makes sense.  CLEP varies.    In that real life example I shared, her CLEP and online options went toward TESC.  and the second school accepted TESC's degree, which is not the same as the CLEP units all being accepted.. it was the accredited degree from what the person shared in group.  I don't know.. it's just what they told us.

and on "8's" observation "I would wonder how all those online classes impact admissions into graduate school.   I know from looking just into undergrad programs for our ds that we have been told by 2 schools that they wouldn't accept his physics/math credits if the courses had been taken online vs. on campus.(And these have just been regular old public universities, not elite institutions.)"

In the real life story I shared about friend (not me), her second degree is from on campus classes at the brick/mortar college.   So, I'm predicting if she does grad school, she'll be in good shape with the bachelors from the on campus experience.

I know I'm still wondering how my state's "online degrees" through the state schools are being seen.  hmm...  but that's not CP related or CLEP.. .it's online classes.  and I'm looking at that for my child who probably would not go to grad school. 

Students should be aware that if they graduate from one college and want to go to another college for a second bachelors degree, they typically can't receive state or federal financial aid. In general colleges are less interested in awarding scholarships to these students than students entering as freshman or as traditional transfer students.

I have worked with some students who attend traditional colleges who earn two bachelors degrees at the same time. Typically these are high achieving students, often on scholarship, who enter college with a fair amount of credit from APs or dual enrollment.The value of the second BA or BS is often that it allows them to change direction when they are nearly complete with one major. It makes a lot more sense with some majors than with others. Engineering is not a good second major because it is just incredibly time consuming.

Every situation is different but for many students who decide to change direction after college graduation, it may make a lot more sense to just pick up a handful of classes and not try for a second degree that would require repeating of many core classes.

I have worked with some students who attend traditional colleges who earn two bachelors degrees at the same time. Typically these are high achieving students, often on scholarship, who enter college with a fair amount of credit from APs or dual enrollment.The value of the second BA or BS is often that it allows them to change direction when they are nearly complete with one major.

Barbara, just curious: What about double-majoring? How is that looked on by the work world? How different is that from earning 2 Bachelors at the same time?

I hear ya.  makes sense.  CLEP varies.    In that real life example I shared, her CLEP and online options went toward TESC.  and the second school accepted TESC's degree, which is not the same as the CLEP units all being accepted.. it was the accredited degree from what the person shared in group.  I don't know.. it's just what they told us.

and on "8's" observation "I would wonder how all those online classes impact admissions into graduate school.   I know from looking just into undergrad programs for our ds that we have been told by 2 schools that they wouldn't accept his physics/math credits if the courses had been taken online vs. on campus.(And these have just been regular old public universities, not elite institutions.)"

In the real life story I shared about friend (not me), her second degree is from on campus classes at the brick/mortar college.   So, I'm predicting if she does grad school, she'll be in good shape with the bachelors from the on campus experience.

I know I'm still wondering how my state's "online degrees" through the state schools are being seen.  hmm...  but that's not CP related or CLEP.. .it's online classes.  and I'm looking at that for my child who probably would not go to grad school. 

This just goes to show how one really needs to Ask the College.  My friend earned her first degree from a brick and mortar.  She had used CLEP for some basic course work.  She wanted to attend graduate school in a different field.  In order to be accepted in the grad program, she had to first earn a BA in that academic field.  The B&M university (now her second college) cherry picked classes from her first BA that were required for her second BA.  And, as noted, they refused to accept certain courses that she had CLEPed.  I don't know how it worked for your friend.  What does it mean for a college to "accept" a degree?  (I see this for grad school but not for issuing a second BA or BS.)

Students should be aware that if they graduate from one college and want to go to another college for a second bachelors degree, they typically can't receive state or federal financial aid. In general colleges are less interested in awarding scholarships to these students than students entering as freshman or as traditional transfer students.

I have worked with some students who attend traditional colleges who earn two bachelors degrees at the same time. Typically these are high achieving students, often on scholarship, who enter college with a fair amount of credit from APs or dual enrollment.The value of the second BA or BS is often that it allows them to change direction when they are nearly complete with one major. It makes a lot more sense with some majors than with others. Engineering is not a good second major because it is just incredibly time consuming.

Every situation is different but for many students who decide to change direction after college graduation, it may make a lot more sense to just pick up a handful of classes and not try for a second degree that would require repeating of many core classes.

Some colleges have developed outstanding programs for students who want to change direction after earning their first degree.  We know several people who have worked in one area but have gone back to college for a degree in health related fields. There are also programs for people who have science or engineering degrees to earn MATs.  But many of these programs are for people who have been in the working for a while--not a twenty year old.

This just goes to show how one really needs to Ask the College. My friend earned her first degree from a brick and mortar. She had used CLEP for some basic course work. She wanted to attend graduate school in a different field. In order to be accepted in the grad program, she had to first earn a BA in that academic field. The B&M university (now her second college) cherry picked classes from her first BA that were required for her second BA. And, as noted, they refused to accept certain courses that she had CLEPed. I don't know how it worked for your friend. What does it mean for a college to "accept" a degree? (I see this for grad school but not for issuing a second BA or BS.)

Your post made me wonder if the B & M school accepted the online degree. Are students that go back for a second degree "worked with" as transfer students?? I have no idea. I have never really thought about it and I associate the term transfer with switching schools prior to a degree being earned.

Your post made me wonder if the B & M school accepted the online degree. Are students that go back for a second degree "worked with" as transfer students?? I have no idea. I have never really thought about it and I associate the term transfer with switching schools prior to a degree being earned.

You are not alone in wondering.  UNC-W treats second degree students as transfers.

From UNC-CH's website:

Under most circumstances, a student with a baccalaureate degree cannot earn a second baccalaureate degree at UNC-Chapel Hill. The only exception is for a student with a degree in academic affairs who is admitted into a degree program within Health Affairs (for example, nursing, dentistry, public health). In this circumstance, the student who has already earned a bachelor's degree from another institution of higher education will be regarded as having met all General Education requirements, including Foundations, Approaches, and Connections.

UNC-G seems more accommodating to students desiring a second baccalaureate:

If you have earned a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university, we welcome your interest in pursuing a second degree at UNCG.

Admission requirements and application information

A student pursuing a second degree must select a different major from the first degree. The first degree must have been earned at a regionally accredited college or university.

Second-degree students are not required to complete general education core requirements, but must complete courses required for the major (both in the department and cognate areas).

Students must meet the UNCG residency requirement (31 hours on our campus). Courses from a first degree can apply to the second degree, but may not be used to satisfy the UNCG residency requirement.

Of course the registrar has ultimate authority to accept or reject credits. 

Barbara, just curious: What about double-majoring? How is that looked on by the work world? How different is that from earning 2 Bachelors at the same time?

Two bachelors degrees usually requires a higher number of credits and also student may need to complete extra distribution requirements particularly if they opt for both a BA and BS. Double majors can work well for students who come in with credits or have the time, but at a lot of schools either of these options are going to be too time consuming for most students. I don't think there is strong evidence that having a second major, as opposed to a major and a minor, carries much weight for most employers. For many fields single major and more internships may be a more promising road to employment. It is really just a small slice of students who have time to even worry about this stuff. Most should just focus on getting a major done and getting graduated.

This just goes to show how one really needs to Ask the College.  My friend earned her first degree from a brick and mortar.  She had used CLEP for some basic course work.  She wanted to attend graduate school in a different field.  In order to be accepted in the grad program, she had to first earn a BA in that academic field.  The B&M university (now her second college) cherry picked classes from her first BA that were required for her second BA.  And, as noted, they refused to accept certain courses that she had CLEPed.  I don't know how it worked for your friend.  What does it mean for a college to "accept" a degree?  (I see this for grad school but not for issuing a second BA or BS.)

Some colleges have developed outstanding programs for students who want to change direction after earning their first degree.  We know several people who have worked in one area but have gone back to college for a degree in health related fields. There are also programs for people who have science or engineering degrees to earn MATs.  But many of these programs are for people who have been in the working for a while--not a twenty year old.

I agree. ask the college.

you asked "what did my friend mean when she said the college accepted the online based degree?"  sorry I was vague in detailing her story. She said  that in terms of admissions requirements and working toward planning what she needed to finish. In other words, they didn't make her apply as a first year freshman. The main thing I was trying to get across from her story?  is that in spite of a lot of CLEP, and an online college...  she received a really good financial aid package with scholarships.  Also, the point that age age 16 and 17 when she started full time CLEP via CP... she was academically able, but ended up changing her goals by age 18, and in spite of the stories out there about no financial aid for transfer for what she was doing, her story worked out differently.  and they didn't roll eyes at her age or lack of work in the field. Maybe she is the only exception??? 

You are not alone in wondering.  UNC-W treats second degree students as transfers.

From UNC-CH's website:

UNC-G seems more accommodating to students desiring a second baccalaureate:

Of course the registrar has ultimate authority to accept or reject credits. 

UNC-CH has always not allowed people to return as undergraduates (at least until you are a senior, something I am kind of looking forward to). However, they used to not allow minor degrees and undergraduates could only get double (and in some rare cases) triple majors. 

I actually experienced the whole marked down of credits thing when I took part time classes at UNCG years ago. I had a double major from UNC, the state's flagship, but while I got a lot of hours to transfer, the usefulness of those hours was pretty small in terms of filling specific requirements. 

I agree. ask the college.

you asked "what did my friend mean when she said the college accepted the online based degree?"  sorry I was vague in detailing her story. She said  that in terms of admissions requirements and working toward planning what she needed to finish. In other words, they didn't make her apply as a first year freshman. The main thing I was trying to get across from her story?  is that in spite of a lot of CLEP, and an online college...  she received a really good financial aid package with scholarships.  Also, the point that age age 16 and 17 when she started full time CLEP via CP... she was academically able, but ended up changing her goals by age 18, and in spite of the stories out there about no financial aid for transfer for what she was doing, her story worked out differently.  and they didn't roll eyes at her age or lack of work in the field. Maybe she is the only exception??? 

Glad things worked out well for her.

My quick research into several UNC system policies reveals that students with one degree are treated as transfers however I have not looked into transfer scholarships.

Some states are more generous with merit aid scholarships than others too.  The UNC system (with which I am most familiar) is not but then it is not as expensive for instate students as some other states' systems.

I must say that I find it interesting to see how different UNC schools have such different policies! One cannot assume anything. Ask the College!

From what I have read and heard from some colleges, those who allow students to apply as freshman status regardless of how many dual enrollment credits they've earned, even if they received a degree, it doesn't matter.   Now the only degree I had thought about was an associates, so I'm not sure how they'd handle admission for a student who has received their bachelors as a dual enrolled student.  None of these colleges accept any CLEP, so that wouldn't apply to the main focus of this thread.   But if a student had an honestly good college education with dual enrollment, I can't see anything but benefits for being able to delve deeper into areas of interest.  Some of the top schools do require that the core courses be taken at their university, but still, to have extra credits, and extra experience and knowledge with college classes before university, is only good IMO.   CLEP wasn't even a consideration for us because it would still amount to self-study rather than the college experience.  If college wasn't an option, we might have gone with some CLEP, if not for the credit, for the knowledge and test verification.

the only degree I had thought about was an associates, so I'm not sure how they'd handle admission for a student who has received their bachelors as a dual enrolled student........

I would think it would be a rare university where a student could earn a bachelors dual enrolled. Every university where my kids have taken dual enrolled classes (3different universities in 3 different states) has had regulations far more controlling than at CCs. Most have restricted students to 2 courses or 2+required labs per semester. While CCs haven't been restrictive, you can't take anything beyond lower level coursework at the CC.

The only way I have seen around the restricted # of credits is via Early College Experience which is essentially graduating early w/o necessarily having fulfilled all high school credit requirements.

...  I'm not sure how they'd handle admission for a student who has received their bachelors as a dual enrolled student. 

From what I understand from my friend whose DD earned her BS through College Plus, this is NOT dual enrollment. And the Bachelor's is certainly not dual enrollment -- a handful of the classes ARE counted for credit for both the BA and to complete class requirements for high school graduation. (approx. 10 courses of the 40 or so courses required for the Bachelor's)

As I recall, my friend's DD had completed all the coursework needed for high school graduation partway through the first year of her 2 years with College Plus, so the majority of the coursework is NOT dual credit...

:)

ETA -- NEVER MIND! I just realized you were referring to something else with dual enrollment/Bachelor's!  :blushing: