Menu

Who else finished Broadchurch?

BarbecueMom

possible spoilers if you haven't watched it!

I finished it last night.  I cried through a lot of the episode.  And Olivia Coleman is really good at screaming and getting dragged out. :) (She had a similar scene in Doctor Who)

I hadn't guessed it, so I was a bit shocked.I thought maybe it was her son, but it seemed to obvious.  I've been thinking about the show all day.  I can keep picturing Beth's face as she said goodbye to her son.  Even sitting here typing, I want to start crying again. Oh my, I'm a mess. :D

I loved the series.  I hope for something just as great to come along soon.  

I was pretty certain it was who it was, but I thoroughly enjoyed the show! 

*Spoiler!*

Dh said that there was a foreshadowing when Miller asked the Susan lady how she could not know it was going on in her own home...  :(  The show was so atmospheric, wasn't it?  Very melancholy, but so well-acted!

I was pretty certain it was who it was, but I thoroughly enjoyed the show!

*Spoiler!*

Dh said that there was a foreshadowing when Miller asked the Susan lady how she could not know it was going on in her own home... :( The show was so atmospheric, wasn't it? Very melancholy, but so well-acted!

DH guessed it from the scene in the skate park. "When you say everyone is a suspect..."

There were so many parallels between earlier and later episodes, but some of them were cut from the BBC America broadcast. There was a scene at the very beginning where Miller tries to get Hardy to call her Ellie and he refuses. Then at the end, he calls her Ellie when he's getting ready to tell her that Joe was arrested. The first scene was cut.

There was also a scene early on where Ellie was staring at a slug on her carpet, and one in the last episode where she squashes it. I don't remember the last scene airing (but I could have missed it, fidgety baby and all).

We watched it all.  I have mixed feelings about it. 

Spoilers Alert!

I didn't like the way they portrayed the killer as some guy who "just fell in love with an 11 yr old"   um ... no.  Were the writers trying to make him sympathetic??  A grown married man in his 30's can suddenly out of nowhere have feelings for a boy??  I found that message troubling, IMHO.

But, I thought they did a magnificent job of showing how a tragedy like that ripples through a community and effects everyone.  There were so many victims of this one crime.  I thought that was done very well.  I cried during much of the last one too.

I was also thinking about it a lot the day after I saw it.

DH guessed it from the scene in the skate park. "When you say everyone is a suspect..."

There were so many parallels between earlier and later episodes, but some of them were cut from the BBC America broadcast. There was a scene at the very beginning where Miller tries to get Hardy to call her Ellie and he refuses. Then at the end, he calls her Ellie when he's getting ready to tell her that Joe was arrested. The first scene was cut.

There was also a scene early on where Ellie was staring at a slug on her carpet, and one in the last episode where she squashes it. I don't remember the last scene airing (but I could have missed it, fidgety baby and all).

That scene was when she invited him over for dinner in the BBCAmerica version.  Yeah, I noticed that change in him too.  Very well written.

That scene was when she invited him over for dinner in the BBCAmerica version. Yeah, I noticed that change in him too. Very well written.

There was another one before that, first episode, where they were walking along that boardwalk or whatever it was. But yeah, the name thing came up a few times. It made the end that much more heartbreaking.

We did. I can't think of a show that has made me more tense while watching.

I read that Tennant and Colman filmed the scene, where he told her it was Joe, with no rehearsal.  That scene blew me away. Can you imagine not knowing how the other actor was going to play that out and just reacting? 

Oh, and I stink at sleuthing. I had no idea who the killer was.

We watched it all.  I have mixed feelings about it. 

Spoilers Alert!

I didn't like the way they portrayed the killer as some guy who "just fell in love with an 11 yr old"   um ... no.  Were the writers trying to make him sympathetic??  A grown married man in his 30's can suddenly out of nowhere have feelings for a boy??  I found that message troubling, IMHO.

But, I thought they did a magnificent job of showing how a tragedy like that ripples through a community and effects everyone.  There were so many victims of this one crime.  I thought that was done very well.  I cried during much of the last one too.

I was also thinking about it a lot the day after I saw it.

I don't think they were trying to make him sympathetic, just the opposite.  Where as Joe thought it was all innocent because all they did was "hug", Hardy pointed out the "wrongs".  Joe gave Danny as secret phone, he gave him cash, and of course, when Danny wanted to tell, Joe killed him.  I think they wanted to show how delusional the perp is. He thinks there's nothing wrong, but it so clearly is wrong. 

I don't think they were trying to make him sympathetic, just the opposite. Where as Joe thought it was all innocent because all they did was "hug", Hardy pointed out the "wrongs". Joe gave Danny as secret phone, he gave him cash, and of course, when Danny wanted to tell, Joe killed him. I think they wanted to show how delusional the perp is. He thinks there's nothing wrong, but it so clearly is wrong.

I agree. Hardy also said that just because Joe hadn't taken things as far as he could have with Danny yet, that didn't mean he wouldn't have sooner or later.

I agree. Hardy also said that just because Joe hadn't taken things as far as he could have with Danny yet, that didn't mean he wouldn't have sooner or later.

Right. I think they did a really good job with "the devil you know" kind of scenario. It didn't feel sympathetic at all, to me. They showed just how insidious a pedophile can be.

Yes, and because there was no evidence that he had gone any farther in abusing him (or his own son, or any other boy), there's not as much closure for Ellie. Even though he was obviously grooming Danny, she didn't even know if she could call him a pedophile or not. Of course he was, but it just adds another layer of confusion.

I just remembered another missing scene, where Mark confronts Joe in the jail cell, wanting to know why he did it. If I remember right, I think the language in that scene might have led to it being cut. It was gut wrenching.

I found it awesome, and, yes, disturbing.

I do wonder how accurate the psychology of the pedophile's view of self-and-situation is. It is one of the few places I have ever seen pedophilia taken beyond 1 dimensional 'likes to hurt children for own pleasure, plans his crimes, stalks and traps his victims' type of portrayal. Since pedophilia is a disorder, I wonder if perhaps it does rise up in unsuspecting folks -- even folks who genuinely would like to resist or limit the urges. So, yeah, maybe it does feel romantic, and maybe there are ones who limit themselves to 'just' hugging because they know its wrong... But that's just how it might (if this is an accurate portrayal) seem to one living inside a delusion and mental disorder. There isn't an excuse for even 'just' the hugging -- but, I did kinda wish he'd checked himself into a hospital and gotten treatment/help to fight his urges, or at least been locked away from kids, before things got bad (instead of the kind if 1 dimensional anger most shows stir towards a pedophile predator). If that's "sympathetic" then, yeah, maybe.

I called it in episode 5.

I didn't like the way Joe's former behaviour in prior episodes really was perfectly normal -- in spite of Tennant's line that a killer can't behave normally, long term. I think they should have told the actors that none of them knew who was guilty, but secretly revealed to the actual killer, so he could act at least a tiny bit awkward... If the actor was good enough, I guess.

Yes, and because there was no evidence that he had gone any farther in abusing him (or his own son, or any other boy), there's not as much closure for Ellie. Even though he was obviously grooming Danny, she didn't even know if she could call him a pedophile or not. Of course he was, but it just adds another layer of confusion.

I just remembered another missing scene, where Mark confronts Joe in the jail cell, wanting to know why he did it. If I remember right, I think the language in that scene might have led to it being cut. It was gut wrenching.

I read about that scene. We get soooo frustrated with BBC shows being chopped up on BBCA and PBS. BBCA I can kind of understand, because they sell commercial time, but the Downton Abbey slashing on PBS has no excuse!

Dh and I have become pros at spotting cut scenes. "Oh, that was cut!"  and "I wonder what we missed there?!"

On the other hand, Jack "just hugged" some of the boys in the sea scouts (whatever they were called) but I didn't have the impression that he was grooming anyone or had any inappropriate motives. The writers did portray him in a sympathetic manner and the angry mob in a negative manner. What do you think that plot point contributes to the show's overall message?

On the other hand, Jack "just hugged" some of the boys in the sea scouts (whatever they were called) but I didn't have the impression that he was grooming anyone or had any inappropriate motives. The writers did portray him in a sympathetic manner and the angry mob in a negative manner. What do you think that plot point contributes to the show's overall message?

There's so much fear about men touching and hugging children.  Broadchurch examined all of that with such a light stroke. Really, masterfully done. Hardy honing in on the vicar's hand on a boy's knee and of course, Jack's hugs. I would venture to guess that the vast majority of physical contact between men and children is completely innocent, yet because of the ugliness we know that can occur, there is often a more watchful eye.  I found the actress that played Susan to be an interesting choice, too. She had a certain gruffness to her. I tried to picture her if they'd chosen an actress that was more traditionally feminine.

It was a very thought provoking series.

And I think they kept pounding at the idea of, "you can never know".  Ellie gets angry at Susan, saying she had to have known.  Beth says the same thing to Ellie, yet Beth also had no idea that her husband was having an affair, and she even suspects him at one point.  There was a message of how we are quick to look at what we now think as the obivious people, such as the vicar or the older lone gentleman who enjoyed teaching the boys, but we miss what is under our nose.  We think we should be able to see the signs, but really the perp can and does do a good job at hiding it.  

And yeah, I liked the actress for Susan as well.  So gruff, but she was also so hurt.  The show kept painting the picture of how people never really recover from such a tragedy.

And I think they kept pounding at the idea of, "you can never know".  Ellie gets angry at Susan, saying she had to have known.  Beth says the same thing to Ellie, yet Beth also had no idea that her husband was having an affair, and she even suspects him at one point.  There was a message of how we are quick to look at what we now think as the obivious people, such as the vicar or the older lone gentleman who enjoyed teaching the boys, but we miss what is under our nose.  We think we should be able to see the signs, but really the perp can and does do a good job at hiding it.  

And yeah, I liked the actress for Susan as well.  So gruff, but she was also so hurt.  The show kept painting the picture of how people never really recover from such a tragedy.

That end scene where Ellie is standing in the field behind the house and Beth comes out was perfect. In a Hollywood ending, they embrace because they're both hurting. In what feels closer to real life, Beth asks how could she not have known? Gut wrenching.

I want to watch it again now!

I thought it was excellent.

I agree with the other posters that thought the handling of the pedophile issues was done in a very thought-provoking way.  It was sad in so many ways.  (Not sad for Joe, sad for the other men whose innocent behavior had to appear suspect.)  I didn't think Joe provoked any sympathy, in me it deepened the feeling of how twisted and really disturbed he was.  I would speculate that many pedophiles see themselves as Joe did, which is what makes them so dangerous.

And no, I didn't have a clue who did it.  I'm really bad at that!

That end scene where Ellie is standing in the field behind the house and Beth comes out was perfect. In a Hollywood ending, they embrace because they're both hurting. In what feels closer to real life, Beth asks how could she not have known? Gut wrenching.

I want to watch it again now!

yes, I agree.  So much more of a truthful possibility.

I LOVED this show! I wouldn't have known about it without this board. I watched the final episode yesterday (before the power went out). I didn't have a clue who the killer was until the end. Every episode was SO emotional that I don't think I was thinking logically or observing enough. I totally loved the acting in this, too. 

Oh wow.  THat's crappy that you got a cut version.  The original aired back in March and April.  It was very intense.  You could tell that you'd need to listen and watch carefully.  The whole scene with him not calling her Ellie was fairly long and at the pivotal moment when he calls her Ellie... it was just heartbreaking to see her reaction. If you didn't know the former scene, the latter would have fallen flat.

FWIW, I thought it was very well done.  As gross as the killer's motives were, the character was portrayed with a complexity that was refreshing, in a way.  There is no black and white, cut and dried in Broadchurch, nor truly, in life.  So, it was good to see that he was not painted entirely as a monster, but rather a complex character -- part monster, part pathetic wretch, part doting husband and father, and more. You can be outraged at the monster part, but it didn't let you just gloss over or forget the other parts. Just a brilliant portrait overall, IMO.  I love a show that forces you to think instead of trying to do that for you.

Wasn't there already an American show with a similar plot? I remember people talking about it recently but don't recall the name.

The Killing has the same premise but the victim was a female teenager instead of a preteen boy. And the detective coming off a previously bad case is female vs male. There is also a Swedish version that preceded both called The Crime.

Here's an article comparing Broadchurch to The Killing: http://www.tampabay.com/features/media/bbc-americas-broadchurch-vs-amcs-the-killing-a-lesson-in-quality-tv/2132837