Tammi K

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My MIL's recipe:

Brusselss Sprout and Artichoke Heart Casserole

Cook 1 lb of frozen BS slightly undercooked acc to package directions. Drain and put into a medium casserole dish with a can (drained) quartered artichoke hearts (Canned, not marinated).

Stir together 1/2 C. mayo (no miracle whip!) , 2 t. lemon juice and 1/4 t. celery salt. Spoon over veggies.

Top with 1/4 C. sliced or slivered almonds and 1/4 C. parmesan cheese.

Bake at 325 for 20 minutes, until hot and bubbly. 

I have been known to eat a giant bowl of buttery salty lima beans for dinner.  By have been known, I mean I've done it 3 times in the last 3 weeks.

Lima beans - those are broad beans, yes?  I hated them as a child, but then realised I'd been eating 'mature' ones that have that tough white skin.  Now I can buy frozen baby broad beans and I often eat an enormous bowl, steamed, buttered and salted.

ETA: hang on, I think I've got that wrong.  Broad beans are fava beans.  I think that lima beans are butter beans.  The latter are okay, but not a patch on broad beans.

L

Lima beans - those are broad beans, yes?  I hated them as a child, but then realised I'd been eating 'mature' ones that have that tough white skin.  Now I can buy frozen baby broad beans and I often eat an enormous bowl, steamed, buttered and salted.

L

Google tells me those are fava beans.  Which I have never tried, but hear they're good with liver and chianti...

Google tells me those are fava beans.  Which I have never tried, but hear they're good with liver and chianti...

I think you're right.  About the fava beans.  I've not tried with the liver and chianti though (that performance was much too good - I couldn't make it through the film - that really does make me shiver).

L

ETA: hang on, I think I've got that wrong.  Broad beans are fava beans.  I think that lima beans are butter beans.  The latter are okay, but not a patch on broad beans.

L

Lima beans are not the same as butter beans in the southern US, they are two different beans (I know some of these things are *highly* regional). I like butter beans. It is only lima beans that I dislike.

Lima beans are not the same as butter beans in the southern US, they are two different beans (I know some of these things are *highly* regional). I like butter beans. It is only lima beans that I dislike.

Okay - I'm still ignorant.  Butter beans to me are large and yellow, and can be a bit floury or sticky.  Are those butter beans to you or lima beans?

L

:lol:

They are the same thing.

There are a bigger varieties, and a smaller varieties. Both are white when dried. Then there are the young green ones that are picked early and usually sold frozen. But they are all the same thing.

It's like saying you hate corn, but maize is delicious! :D

Bill

Okay - I'm still ignorant.  Butter beans to me are large and yellow, and can be a bit floury or sticky.  Are those butter beans to you or lima beans?

L

I think people refer to dried limas as butter beans, but I think there are different varieties of limas, and that's where it gets confusing.  Maybe there is a particular variety of lima that is referred to as a butter bean.  My Mississippi mamaw just made butter beans from what I can remember, they always seemed smaller and mottled than your average lima.  I think I'm contradicting myself in each sentence here.

L

So, I went poking around and discovered that even from place to place in the south and midwest, these are not always called the same thing. They are in the same family, different varieties. It looks like the names are often swapped around, depending upon where you live? Sometimes the smaller ones are called baby lima beans, but really it is just a different variety? Very confusing.

Maybe this will help?

http://www.ochef.com/52.htm

So, we probably aren't even all talking about the same bean here.

:lol:

They are the same thing.

There are a bigger varieties, and a smaller varieties. Both are white when dried. Then there are the young green ones that are picked early and usually sold frozen. But they are all the same thing.

It's like saying you hate corn, but maize is delicious! :D

Bill

So you are suggesting that this type of corn

http://www.raleys.com/images/imagescontent/1167155.jpg

and this type of corn

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7d/Corncobs.jpg

taste the same? 

Just because they come from the same type of plant, doesn't make them taste the same. Different varieties=different flavor.

We eat a lot more fresh beans than dried in the south. For example, the purple hull bean I mentioned above? I've never even seen those dried. 

So, I went poking around and discovered that even from place to place in the south and midwest, these are not always called the same thing. They are in the same family, different varieties. It looks like the names are often swapped around, depending upon where you live? Sometimes the smaller ones are called baby lima beans, but really it is just a different variety? Very confusing.

Okay - these are butter beans to me.  Do they look familiar?  They are described as floury.

L

So you are suggesting that this type of corn

http://www.raleys.com/images/imagescontent/1167155.jpg

and this type of corn

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7d/Corncobs.jpg

taste the same?

Just because they come from the same type of plant, doesn't make them taste the same. Different varieties=different flavor.

We eat a lot more fresh beans than dried in the south. For example, the purple hull bean I mentioned above? I've never even seen those dried.

I just saying, the larger variety of the Lima bean/Butter Bean tastes virtually the same as the smaller version. One is just bigger than the other. The taste and texture is nearly identical.

And the "green" bean that is sold frozen as Lima Beans is the same bean, it is just picked when young rather than picked when mature and then dried.

Bill

I just saying, the larger variety of the Lima bean/Butter Bean tastes virtually the same as the smaller version. One is just bigger than the other. The taste and texture is nearly identical.

And the "green" bean that is sold frozen as Lima Beans is the same bean, it is just picked when young rather than picked when mature and then dried.

Bill

No, it isn't. One is a dwarf variety and the beans are fully mature when picked. They are sometimes CALLED baby limas, but that is a misnomer. I've helped my grandma and MIL grow them in their gardens. They are different.

eta quote from the Georgia farm extension:

"Dwarf lima beans, also called butter beans, are less starchy and have a creamier taste."

edited again to add: I would guess maybe your local farm stands don't carry as many varieties of beans as they do in the south? A lot of the beans I've eaten in the south cannot be purchased in your average grocery store. I have never eaten butter beans frozen or dried, so I can't speak to their texture or flavor in that form. I know there are a lot of vegetables I can't buy here in Hawaii that I can buy back home and vice versa. Different climate, different fruits and veggies available. 

Bill

And, therein, lies the problem. Taste and texture...ICK! So, to paraphrase the bard: A lima bean by any other name would taste just as gross.

And, therein, lies the problem. Taste and texture...ICK! So, to paraphrase the bard: A lima bean by any other name would taste just as gross.

Nah, they's delicious :D

You must be cooking them improperly.

All I know is that a couple month back I made a small pot of the large dried variety of the sort British people and Americans (who don't live a region of the country where people tend to be chronically wrong about everything :D) call "Butter Beans" for a pot-luck party down the street.

At this party were a passel of children that included one notoriously "picky" eater and one who I guess has "sensory issues" and doesn't eat much of anything (nothing "new" anyway).

The "picky" kid asked, "what are those?" I said, "Lima beans." Her nose crinkled, and she said, "Ewww!" and the rest of the kids snickered. Why Miss Picky decided to taste them I don't know (yes I do, they smelled so good) but she (to my suprise) took a bite, and said, "Dang, those are good."

Pretty soon every little kid had grabbed a bowl and were gobbeling down the Lima beans like they were going out of style. We finally had to shoo them off so the adults could at least get a small taste. And they loved them too.

Well they had another little party last week, and I got "the call," Hey...uh..Bill, could you make more of those Lima Beans again, everybody seemed to like those."

This time a made a vat full.

Limas. A reason to live!

Bill

Nah, they's delicious :D

You must be cooking them improperly.

All I know is that a couple month back I made a small pot of the large dried variety of the sort British people and Americans (who don't live a region of the country where people tend to be chronically wrong about everything :D) call "Butter Beans" for a pot-luck party down the street.

At this party were a passel of children that included one notoriously "picky" eater and one who I guess has "sensory issues" and doesn't eat much of anything (nothing "new" anyway).

The "picky" kid asked, "what are those?" I said, "Lima beans." Her nose crinkled, and she said, "Ewww!" and the rest of the kids snickered. Why Miss Picky decided to taste them I don't know (yes I do, they smelled so good) but she (to my suprise) took a bite, and said, "Dang, those are good."

Pretty soon every little kid had grabbed a bowl and were gobbeling down the Lima beans like they were going out of style. We finally had to shoo them off so the adults could at least get a small taste. And they loved them too.

Well they had another little party last week, and I got "the call," Hey...uh..Bill, could you make more of those Lima Beans again, everybody seemed to like those."

This time a made a vat full.

Limas. A reason to live!

Bill

You have done lost your mind.

I grew up with Mrs Mungo, she has ALWAYS hated lima beans. If someone was actually implying that my grandmothers cannot cook I would set their hair on fire.

My dd doesn't like bananas, she must be peeling them wrong.

People dislike things all the time, it doesn't mean someone doesn't know how to cook. Your argument is wacko.

I'm another one who likes them roasted with olive oil and coarse salt. Make sure they get nice and toasty.

In the end though, if you don't like them that's okay. Kale is the leafy green of the day and I'm supposed to like it. I tried, I really tried. I even tried kale chips, which oddly enough is similar to what we're telling you to do with brussel sprouts. I. hate. kale.

If you like other vegetables in the same family and don't like brussel sprouts, just eat the ones you like.

Is anyone else hearing:

Having a bigger variety of beans than what is available in SoCa is so wrong and stupid. Growing your own food? Who does that? So dumb. Stick with the dried stuff in the chain store, friends, you'll be much better served. Wow, you are an incompetent bunch of housewives. And those loonies with "sensory issues?" What hogwash!

?

I also don't like cooked carrots, but I love them raw. So, cooking them at all is wrong, IMO.

I have lived all over and I don't think I have ever tried to tell someone they were WRONG for calling something different (are Brits also wrong for calling squash pumpkin?) or WRONG for not liking the flavor of something I like. 

Bill, I have often wondered why you hang out on these forums. In the past few weeks I've realized it's because your mission, as stated by yourself the other day outright with little preamble, is to make sure we are not "blind to the realities" of what "good schools" are doing so that we won't make the classic homeschool blunder of being incompetent.

Now I find you are also here to tell us that we don't know how to cook and the only authorities on beans are yourself and the British. (Which doesn't even make sense. Also, which regions of America are peopled by the chronically ignorant, Bill, and who are you to say so? Why don't you go ahead and name those regions and alienate a few more people?)

How tiresome. We can teach our own children and cook our own beans, thank you.

I am from the south and here butter beans are big, pale yellow and mushy/almost floury. Limas are smaller, green and firmer, not mushy. Butterbeans at sweet, but that could be preparation, not a bean characteristic, I've never personally cooked them, but I've eaten them my whole life.

Like I said above, apparently it's hit and miss which one is called by which name, depending on which pocket of the south you are from. 

Now I find you are also here to tell us that we don't know how to cook and the only authorities on beans are yourself and the British. (Which doesn't even make sense. Also, which regions of America are peopled by the chronically ignorant, Bill, and who are you to say so? Why don't you go ahead and name those regions and alienate a few more people?)

If I was getting food information the LAST place I would check would be the British.

Just sayin', the last people from my family who came from England fought in a war against them cause their food was so bad.

Was it raw? I haven't seen or tried that specific recipe, but I like them sliced up raw in salads. 

Yes, but they sat for 30 minutes in salt and vinegar which I think helped soften the crunch. I keep meaning to try the recipe, but I live in a house of vegetable haters so I'd need to eat the whole thing.

The recipe that I posted doesn't roast. You slice them almost papery thin and sauté them for just a few minutes. You add a little sugar and sprinkle with pecans. Seriously, I could eat the entire batch by myself :).

Can I sprinkle them with bacon instead of pecans? Not that I'm incapable of cooking pecans. Many people over the years have exclaimed my chocolate chip pecan pie to be superior to any other pecan pie. ;)

Can I sprinkle them with bacon instead of pecans? Not that I'm incapable of cooking pecans. Many people over the years have exclaimed my chocolate chip pecan pie to be superior to any other pecan pie. ;)

It's the Rule of Bacon: bacon makes everything taste better.

I made bacon jam once. I ate the whole jar in one sitting. It was glorious. I regret nothing. I'll never do it again.

True Story:

Mrs Mungo and I have two younger sisters, during holiday cooking we each made a different type of pie. Mrs Mungo always made pecan pie. She does not like pecans :lol: It was good but she never ate it.