Menu

Parent arrested for questioning common core?

*lifeoftheparty*

I am interested to know what you guys think of this. It was posted on my Facebook page b/c it happened near where I live.

http://michellemalkin.com/2013/09/20/parents-you-need-to-question-these-people-shock-video-of-dad-arrested-at-school-meeting-after-challenging-common-core/

A friend of mine, who has ZERO desire to homeschool her kids, told me that she went to a forum like this at her kids' school and they were showing a propaganda film for common core. She said it was "scary". She is now looking around at private schools for next year.

So, anyways, what do you think of this? I am on vacation and really don't want to spend the time researching it, so I figured I would put it up and see what you guys think- then I can look more into it when I get home.

I don't think it was because he questioned common core. I think they took him out because he kept going on and on without really asking a question after they had called for him to stop. When you are in a public meeting like that, there has to be some order and if every person got up and talked as much or as long as they wanted, how would everyone have a fair chance?

While I don't think any core of standards put out for a public school will probably be good, I think there is too much fear mongering over common core. If people don't like what the schools are teaching, homeschool or find a way to put them in private school. If enough people leave public school, private schools will probably be able to function on less tuition per person.

Wow! I would be scared, too, if my kids were in a government school and that is how they treat parents who have questions about the curriculum. Tell your friend to check out the private school, too, because I think some of them are also going along with the CC standards.

Hot Lava Mama

I did. She's just scared that she can't hs- she has 5 kids, and just doesn't have the confidence.

I also told her about a lot of the 2 day a week tutorials we have around here.

Not sure what she's going to do.

I did. She's just scared that she can't hs- she has 5 kids, and just doesn't have the confidence.

I also told her about a lot of the 2 day a week tutorials we have around here.

Not sure what she's going to do.

The first thing she should do is actually read what CC is.  

Edited by ChocolateReignRemix
Really? Lose the snark.

I don't think it was because he questioned common core. I think they took him out because he kept going on and on without really asking a question after they had called for him to stop. When you are in a public meeting like that, there has to be some order and if every person got up and talked as much or as long as they wanted, how would everyone have a fair chance?

While I don't think any core of standards put out for a public school will probably be good, I think there is too much fear mongering over common core. If people don't like what the schools are teaching, homeschool or find a way to put them in private school. If enough people leave public school, private schools will probably be able to function on less tuition per person.

He was out of order and that's why the security guard took him out of the meeting. But that being said, parents were not allowed to speak at this meeting.  They could write their questions on a piece of paper, and then the ptb could read the questions aloud or choose to ignore them.  The lack of two-way conversation and debate was part of what the man was questioning/condemning.

The first thing she should do is actually read what CC is.  The fact that she is "scared" of it indicates she is not particularly bright.

To begin with, the post said that the woman is "fearful" of homeschooling because she has five children.  Implication is that this sounds very difficult to her.

Your comment, meanwhile, sounds to me like the kind of personal insult that should not be allowed here. 

To begin with, the post said that the woman is "fearful" of homeschooling because she has five children.  Implication is that this sounds very difficult to her.

Your comment, meanwhile, sounds to me like the kind of personal insult that should not be allowed here. 

Edited by ChocolateReignRemix
Wow. Just....too much snark.

I am extremely against common core. Not against the notion of a national curriculum but against the particular philosophy, methodology, and implementation of this one, and I hope it fails, I hope all the parents and teachers fight it...yet I know the man was not arrested for questioning common core.

I am extremely against this manner of public meeting in which the citizens have no say, whether school board or town hall, and I don't think Americans should continue to accept this format in which our overlords inform us of changes to our lives...yet I know the man was not arrested for questioning common core.

He was out of order. He was excessively restrained for being out of order. He has a case, IMVHO, against those who manhandled him and said that he assaulted an officer when he did not...yet he was not arrested for questioning common core.

I am extremely against common core. Not against the notion of a national curriculum but against the particular philosophy, methodology, and implementation of this one, and I hope it fails, I hope all the parents and teachers fight it...yet I know the man was not arrested for questioning common core.

I am extremely against this manner of public meeting in which the citizens have no say, whether school board or town hall, and I don't think Americans should continue to accept this format in which our overlords inform us of changes to our lives...yet I know the man was not arrested for questioning common core.

He was out of order. He was excessively restrained for being out of order. He has a case, IMVHO, against those who manhandled him and said that he assaulted an officer when he did not...yet he was not arrested for questioning common core.

Exactly. Especially the last sentence.

The title makes it sound that disagreeing with something is the only reason he was arrested.

I've been arrested for civil disobedience before. It wasn't my views that got me arrested, it was the DISOBEDIENCE part. ;)

Well I'm so glad our founding father's weren't afraid to be disobedient. I can't imagine any of them would have dreamed that an American peacefully questioning his local government at a public forum would be considered disobedient.

What a sorry lot Americans have become.

I think it's the other way around. The government works for us, not the other way around. So technically, they are the ones being disobedient.

Well I'm so glad our founding father's weren't afraid to be disobedient. I can't imagine any of them would have dreamed that an American peacefully questioning his local government at a public forum would be considered disobedient.

I think it's the other way around. The government works for us, not the other way around. So technically, they are the ones being disobedient.

Americans are not a sorry lot.

Many people are choosing alternative paths in education every day.

Many groups, school boards, and state legislatures are questioning Common Core.

Many others think it's fine and dandy the way it is so they are not being cowardly by not protesting it.

There's more than one way to look at almost everything going on in the political realm. Maybe that's why traditionally here at WTM we don't discuss politics, per our user agreement.

And you say you don't mean to be inflammatory?

You do, I am sure, get the difference in meaning between civil disobedience and just general disobedience. But one of the core tenets of non violent civil disobedience is that if you get arrested, you get arrested. The arrest probably was more helpful to him and his cause than being heard would have been. If he's smart, I wouldn't doubt he went there with that very intent.

And you say you don't mean to be inflammatory?

You do, I am sure, get the difference in meaning between civil disobedience and just general disobedience. But one of the core tenets of non violent civil disobedience is that if you get arrested, you get arrested. The arrest probably was more helpful to him and his cause than being heard would have been. If he's smart, I wouldn't doubt he went there with that very intent.

Wow, I meant to add that this man was engaged in civil disobedience, but I forget because I was distracted by that whole "Americans are a sorry lot" thing. So I'm glad you posted. Important point.

I don't believe a parent, or any citizen, should be arrested for questioning the government. That goes double for a parent questioning the government about what they are teaching their own children.

And yes, I think it is sorry that Americans are just rolling over and taking this. It's ridiculous.

And like I said before, no, I did not post this to be inflammatory. I posted this before I knew too much about it and was seriously seeking input b/c, as I said before, I am on vacation. I was waiting on my family to get ready to go to the pool. I was going to post it and then read it later when everyone else was asleep and I was out on the balcony. However, it started raining. So here I am.

I don't believe a parent, or any citizen, should be arrested for questioning the government. That goes double for a parent questioning the government about what they are teaching their own children.

And yes, I think it is sorry that Americans are just rolling over and taking this. It's ridiculous.

And like I said before, no, I did not post this to be inflammatory. I posted this before I knew too much about it and was seriously seeking input b/c, as I said before, I am on vacation. I was waiting on my family to get ready to go to the pool. I was going to post it and then read it later when everyone else was asleep and I was out on the balcony. However, it started raining. So here I am.

I didn't see "questioning the government" among his charges,  Please clarify.

Rolling over and taking what?  That someone was arrested for disrupting a public meeting?

Not the first time...defintely not the last.

I believe that the comment made about the inflammatory title was because the actuality was that he was arrested for disorderly behavior at a school board meeting not for his particular comment at that meeting. Therefore, implying he was arrested for questioning common core when he wasn't was seen as a possible attempt to rile people.

I also don't think we should be arrested for questioning the government, but obviously he chose the wrong venue - whether by accident or by design, and THAT is what got him arrested.

I believe that the comment made about the inflammatory title was because the actuality was that he was arrested for disorderly behavior at a school board meeting not for his particular comment at that meeting. Therefore, implying he was arrested for questioning common core when he wasn't was seen as a possible attempt to rile people.

I also don't think we should be arrested for questioning the government, but obviously he chose the wrong venue - whether by accident or by design, and THAT is what got him arrested.

Right, I understand. But as I said before. I did not know the whole story. Someone posted this on my Facebook and I watched/read it once. Because I don't have time to check it out, I posted it here, figuring that maybe people here had already heard the back story.

I made that title b/c after one viewing, it seemed to me, like that was the gist of the article and video. I like to be specific in my titles so people don't actually have to click on my thread to see what kind if content it's about. Not to rile people up.

People engaging in civil disobedience often get arrested. That is sort of the point. That is what drummed up sympathy for Susan B. Anthony. I don't really understand celebrating civil disobedience *and* being mad that people got arrested. That is usually how people get press for their cause.

But I just don't understand how politely asking a question at a public forum is civil disobedience.

I could understand if this was a news conference or something and this guy interrupted and just would not shut up. Or chained himself to the desk or something.

But he was just asking a question, during a Q and A session no less. It seemed pretty obvious that the Q and A session was being manipulated. I don't understand why a citizen standing up to be heard is called civil disobedience.

But I just don't understand how politely asking a question at a public forum is civil disobedience.

I could understand if this was a news conference or something and this guy interrupted and just would not shut up. Or chained himself to the desk or something.

But he was just asking a question, during a Q and A session no less. It seemed pretty obvious that the Q and A session was being manipulated. I don't understand why a citizen standing up to be heard is called civil disobedience.

There were also others who wanted to hear what he had to say, including the woman who stood up near him and the woman running the camera. The moderators of the meeting ignored those women when they asked to hear him speak. One article I read (by the woman who took the video?)indicated that questions were changed (http://www.examiner.com/article/exclusive-video-school-supers-have-parent-arrested-from-common-core-meeting). I thought maybe in order to combine similar questions, the moderator changed them, but in the article, it seems that some of the salient parts of the questions were dropped (like what options parents had for opting out of the data collection).

I've seen parents act much, much worse at basketball games and not get thrown out or earn the team a foul. No one arrested them. Passions run high over our kids. I think the meeting moderators could have shown a little more tolerance for a frustrated parent.