Menu

Lionsbridge work at home--can you explain this better?

Chris in VA

I know some of you work for Lionsbridge. I am thinking about applying, but I really don't understand exactly what an internet accessor does. Can you explain what they test you on, and just what the whole thing is about? Pay details would be nice, but Mom taught me never to ask someone how much they make... :closedeyes:

I just started working for them a few weeks ago.

The work is basically rating web pages based on how useful it is based on the query and the quality of the web page (not query based). They have a large amount of guidelines and I did a decent amount of studying when I was testing.

It's hard to explain, but if you apply and get invited to test, they are very thorough with the training and studying materials.

Lionsbridge requires 40 hours a month. I have been slacking and am working hard to make sure I get all of mine this month! Working from home, for me, equals easily distracted by other fun stuff on the computer, my son, my dogs, and just about anything else around. :lol:  I've been doing some transcription too, plus going to school full time. It has not been easy for me to set up and stick to some sort of schedule.

You need to have a minimum of 30 hours per month, or they will hold your paycheck until the end of the month.

You are graded on your performance monthly, and if you are not rating the tasks "correctly", you will be suspended and have to take the test again.

You can also be abruptly terminated with no warning or reason.

You are not paid for webinars or other training.

Each task has an assigned time limit and that is all you can bill them for, or they will not approve your hours.  For example, if a task is supposed to take you 9 minutes to complete, and you take 15, you may only bill them for the 9 minutes.  So you end up doing a lot of work you don't get paid for.  You are not allowed to be paid for the amount of time it takes you to research a query.  And for some queries, that takes a considerable amount of time.

Having said all of that, I have worked for them since May and have always been paid promptly with no problems.  I've always had my timesheet approved, but I'm careful to only bill for the amount of time they allow for tasks.  I know others who have had their timesheets rejected, and then they must amend them and resubmit them.  This often means you will not be paid when you're expecting to be paid.  The rate is $13.50 per hour, but you are responsible for making your social security and medicaid payments.  You are sent a 1099 at the end of the year, and must pay the government their due.  So when you take that and the work you are doing but NOT being paid for...the hourly rate is much lower.

Still, it's nice to be able to work whenever I want (as long as tasks are available), and it's very convenient.

You need to have a minimum of 30 hours per month, or they will hold your paycheck until the end of the month.

You are graded on your performance monthly, and if you are not rating the tasks "correctly", you will be suspended and have to take the test again.

Each task has an assigned time limit and that is all you can bill them for, or they will not approve your hours.  For example, if a task is supposed to take you 9 minutes to complete, and you take 15, you may only bill them for the 9 minutes.  So you end up doing a lot of work you don't get paid for.  You are not allowed to be paid for the amount of time it takes you to research a query.  And for some queries, that takes a considerable amount of time.

Having said all of that, I have worked for them since May and have always been paid promptly with no problems.  I've always had my timesheet approved, but I'm careful to only bill for the amount of time they allow for tasks.  I know others who have had their timesheets rejected, and then they must amend them and resubmit them.  This often means you will not be paid when you're expecting to be paid.  The rate is $13.50 per hour, but you are responsible for making your social security and medicaid payments.  You are sent a 1099 at the end of the year, and must pay the government their due.  So when you take that and the work you are doing but NOT being paid for...the hourly rate is much lower.

Still, it's nice to be able to work whenever I want (as long as tasks are available), and it's very convenient.

Thanks for this great description!  Are you allowed to work more than the 30 hours a month?  I think this is something that we could do here (I wonder if they would take both my DH and me).  Also, does it still take an enormous amount of "extra/unpaid" work once you get better at what they want from you?  I'd be willing to do the extra, if it was merely a matter of a learning curve.

Thanks!

~coffee~

You can work up to 40 hours per month.  And that is HARD to do.  At least I find it hard.  Sometimes there just aren't tasks available.  Sometimes they don't have tasks you want to do.  And the learning curve is interesting.  Most people think they're doing great.  And then they get their monthly report and find out their percentages are lower than they expected.  They do have "right answers" for how you rate the tasks, and if you don't do it correctly, it's counted against you.  And sometimes  you have no idea what on earth they're asking for.  You're just shooting in the dark.  It's honestly the oddest job I've ever done.  LOL  But I've learned a lot having to search the net...some things I didn't want to know about...but nevertheless. :D

We were told we could have up to 80 hours a month.

Yes, no pay for any training, which does take up a good amount of time. I think I'm still within my first four week period, so I get 25% extra time to complete tasks. I have found myself getting faster though, so that's nice.

There have been days where I logged in to work and there have been no tasks. They say they keep that in consideration as far as hours go.

They hold your pay back for about a month. I started at the end of August and worked about three days. I will not see that paycheck until the beginning of October. So, starting off, that kind of hurts.

Thank you for posting this.  I passed the test to work for LB, but once I saw how much training was going to be involved before I could even start to work, I became discouraged and resigned.  Your post makes me feel much better about that decision.  I already do general transcription and some book editing.  I think I'll stick with those.

I applied and passed the first two tests, but failed the third. Then they invited me to apply again, so we'll see. It seems weird already! :)

That is kind of weird because IIRC, don't their materials state that if you fail any portion of the test, you will not be allowed to apply again?  Strange.

I had the same experience, and I failed the second time, too.

Would you mind giving a brief description of exactly what you do?

This is Lionbridge, correct?  My dh worked for them as a technical writer until they lost their contract with the company they were writing for, and he got laid off.  

I had the same experience, and I failed the second time, too.

That stinks, Jenny.

I tried to do the simulator for Part III, but I coukdn't access it. I emailed them to ket them know, and they said I should just focus on the actual test. Well, I'd LIKE to, but what if I'm doing it wrong?

So you end up doing a lot of work you don't get paid for. You are not allowed to be paid for the amount of time it takes you to research a query. And for some queries, that takes a considerable amount of time.

So when you take that and the work you are doing but NOT being paid for...the hourly rate is much lower.

Have you figured out how much you're working that you're not getting paid for or what your hourly rate comes out to? I'm trying to decide if this is really worth it to pursue, and you always give thoughtful, helpful advice, Diane.

They do pay in order from most to least hours worked, so those that work more will be paid before those that work fewer hours.  They aren't holding your paycheck, they just haven't made their way down the list to you yet.

Correct.  Once you are fully trained, it only amounts to about one hour per month, though.

Each task has an assigned time limit and that is all you can bill them for, or they will not approve your hours.  It evens out over the month...if you go over on one task but under on another, your average is within the average time limit so you will get approved.  If you consistently need more time for a task than you are allowed, don't do that type of task. :001_smile:   For example, if a task is supposed to take you 9 minutes to complete, and you take 15, you may only bill them for the 9 minutes.  So you end up doing a lot of work you don't get paid for.  That is completely voluntary, they do not ask you to to work tasks that you can't complete in the given amount of time.  I, personally, do not work for free, so I do not take tasks that I can't complete in the given amount of time.  You are not allowed to be paid for the amount of time it takes you to research a query.  Totally incorrect information; you need to email someone for clarification about this.  PM me and I will give you the name of the supervisor that will give you the correct information.

Clear creek, i am curious. I have been working for them for about 3 months and have found my circumstance to be very similar to the poster you quoted.

As of yet, I have not figured out a way to get compensated for the extra time it takes me on BU tasks and SXS that are extremely slow to load. There have been some recent video tasks that I have had the same trouble with. Already emailed with my supervisior and the tech team, but there seems to be no solution. Often I don't get to one of these until the L/R 3 or 4 positions and so by then I already have 50% or more of the allotted time invested. If I release the task then I am not paid, and if I wait the time it takes for slower loading videos I am not paid for the overage.

I was one of those that was abruptly fired with little explanation.  I started the 26th of June.  I increased my percentages, but in the end all they would say was that it wasn't high enough.  There was no real training when I started, just a "hey you should check out this webinar" and that was it.  Nothing required.  I did my best watched the webinars and like others mentioned it was hard to sometimes understand just what they wanted. Then there were times where 1 webinar presenter would directly contradict another in a subsequent webinar.  I was paid for all the work I did, but honestly in the end I'm glad to be done with it.  It's mind numbingly boring at times. 

Clear creek, i am curious. I have been working for them for about 3 months and have found my circumstance to be very similar to the poster you quoted.

As of yet, I have not figured out a way to get compensated for the extra time it takes me on BU tasks and SXS that are extremely slow to load. There have been some recent video tasks that I have had the same trouble with. Already emailed with my supervisior and the tech team, but there seems to be no solution. Often I don't get to one of these until the L/R 3 or 4 positions and so by then I already have 50% or more of the allotted time invested. If I release the task then I am not paid, and if I wait the time it takes for slower loading videos I am not paid for the overage.

I have not had any trouble with tasks loading in a timely manner in the 2+ years I have worked for them.  As soon as I submit a task, the next one appears...ones with multiple videos might take 2-3 seconds, at most.  What is your internet connection speed?  Speedtest is a good one to check it.  As a frame of reference, I have 16 Mbps download speed and 1 Mbps upload speed.

I have to be honest...if I had to wait several minutes for each task to fully load, I would not keep the job.  It is not worth getting paid for only half the time I would be spending on work.  As it is, I write down the time that I get my first task and write a tick mark for each task I get for that task type, then write the ending time when I finish working or switch to a different task type.  So if I get my first task at 2:15 and work on tasks until 4:15, I get paid for the full 120 minutes. 

I have not had any trouble with tasks loading in a timely manner in the 2+ years I have worked for them.  As soon as I submit a task, the next one appears...ones with multiple videos might take 2-3 seconds, at most.  What is your internet connection speed?  Speedtest is a good one to check it.  As a frame of reference, I have 16 Mbps download speed and 1 Mbps upload speed.

I have to be honest...if I had to wait several minutes for each task to fully load, I would not keep the job.  It is not worth getting paid for only half the time I would be spending on work.  As it is, I write down the time that I get my first task and write a tick mark for each task I get for that task type, then write the ending time when I finish working or switch to a different task type.  So if I get my first task at 2:15 and work on tasks until 4:15, I get paid for the full 120 minutes. 

That seems an efficient way of keeping track. I've been using a stopwatch app and timing each task. I sometimes go over, but I am under on many others, so I don't worry about it.

I just did the Speedtest. I have a d/l speed of 12.56 and an u/l speed of 1.46. I have no issues with tasks loading either. I have AT&T Uverse.

No, this was not a problem with tasks loading, but with some (not all) video links within the task itself. The image for the video would load, but when I click on the video link  it can take up to 45 second just to load. A couple of those within a task can really thow the time off.

OTOH, right after I posted this I got a ton of research tasks that I came in well under time on, so it does tend to average out if you work enough hours. :)

We swithed to high speed cable, because I got sick of satellite. ;)

Does anyone know is it 40 or 80 hours we can work? I thought it was 80 as well, but I have barely been able to make over 30 and they haven't gotten mad a me so now I wonder.

No, this was not a problem with tasks loading, but with some (not all) video links within the task itself. The image for the video would load, but when I click on the video link  it can take up to 45 second just to load. A couple of those within a task can really thow the time off.

OTOH, right after I posted this I got a ton of research tasks that I came in well under time on, so it does tend to average out if you work enough hours. :)

We swithed to high speed cable, because I got sick of satellite. ;)

Does anyone know is it 40 or 80 hours we can work? I thought it was 80 as well, but I have barely been able to make over 30 and they haven't gotten mad a me so now I wonder.

If you hold down the control key and click all the links (or at least five) in succession so they all load simultaneously, does that make them open slower?  Or will they all load in the same 45 second time frame?  That might cut down the time it takes during a task (unless it overwhelms your computer, lol...mine sounds like a jet taking off when I do that :tongue_smilie: ).

We can have 10-20 hours per week.  They ask for a minimum of ten, unless there aren't tasks available.  But we can have up to 20 in one week on our timesheet.

• 3 weeks later...

I passed the first two steps but couldn't get the third step to work on any of the computers in my house.  I sent numerous emails and would keep getting replies telling me I had x number of days to finish my testing but not addressing the problems I was having.  I followed the instructions very closely and everything seemed like it should work - it just didn't.