Menu

Algebra for me

I am a homeschooler who was also homeschooled (in the 80's-early 90's :ohmy: ) and now I am sort of 'continuing' my education, especially in the area of math. My mother (bless her) used Alpha Omega Lifepacs with us from K-12 because she simply had no idea how to do anything else. Basically, I made it through Algebra 1/2 and that was it.

Now, I want to learn Algebra, and Geometry, and whatever else my middle-aged mind can handle :tongue_smilie: . Not only so that I can teach my children better, but also for myself. I want to learn math. Which brings me to my question:

I am looking at two programs that I know are solid and well-liked: Saxon Algebra and AoPS Algebra.

Is AoPS specifically for gifted learners (which I am not!) or is it good for anyone?

Which would you recommend for an adult just learning Algebra? Or is there a better text altogether? Please help! Thanks! :001_smile:

I think AoPS can be used by anyone who is willing to struggle over some problems. It starts with very easy concepts and quickly builds to very hard concepts in every chapter. It is very logical and stepwise and has a great solution manual for every problem. If you work through this book, you will understand algebra. However, It is not for the person who gets easily frustrated. It is a challenging program.

I use this with my gifted son, my average smart math student, as well as several that I tutor who have struggled in math elsewhere, but are now understanding it with AoPS.

I would consider starting with the AoPS Prealgebra book if I were you.

I absolutely love Jacobs Algebra as a book to read and learn from.  It is written in a very conversational and readable style and the lessons are just the right length for me to get through in short bursts.  

I'm also learning a ton from reading the AoPS PreAlgebra book and working on Alcumus.  I haven't gotten AoPS Algebra yet.

Sara, I wouldn't suggest Saxon because it's not going to fit the style of an adult learner who wants to sit down and be efficient.  It teaches incrementally, which means it's parceling out the information in little steps and doing a LOT of review.  You probably don't have time for that.  No, I would not recommend AOPS to the average learner.  I'm consistently flabbergasted on the boards when I see it presented that way.  There are lots of different abilities and backgrounds and strengths represented here on the boards.  You've got women here with PhDs in science and math for whom certain things are pretty normal.  You've got all kinds of people.  No, AOPS is not going to be a normal learning route for most people.

Honestly, I would look for something with a teacher's manual inexpensively available to you.  That way you can see the problems worked out.  I don't think it matters particularly which curriculum you use, just that it's something that you actually CAN use and be successful with.  Any edition of Dolciani would work (old, new, doesn't matter), Foerster, BJU.  BJU just updated, but I think for this an old edition would be FINE.  Don't be too perfectionist about this.  Horizons (the upper end publication of Alpha Omega) has their new pre-algebra and algebra, don't they? Anything for which you can get a tm that has fully worked out problems will be fine.  

You know another suggestion is to put your kids in a quality math program and stay one step ahead of them.  A lot of what used to be taught in pre-algebra or algebra is trickling down now into the lower grades, and the math is getting very conceptual.  If you pick a good quality middle of the road math, say the newest editions of the BJU, and just work through it a grade ahead and really read the tms and understand WHY they do what they do, you're going to be fine.  

That's just another way to approach it.  I knew a mom who had not completed high school who homeschooled her many kids through calculus and had AWESOME test scores, and that's exactly how she did it, staying one math book ahead.  :)

I use Khan Academy for myself. It was perfect for scratching all that rust off my algebra when my oldest was getting close. :)

I am thinking Khan Academy, too. I started at the top of the Knowledge Map  (Addition and Subtraction) and just did everything as it came up.

I also worked problems from Interact Math - it's free. Click "enter" and then choose a textbook from the drop down menu. The textbook itself is not available there, just problems to work (and hints). It's an excellent site to find problems.

Best wishes.

I agree that Khan Academy could be a good starting place.

I really like Lial's Introductory Algebra. You can get it used for $4.00 with shipping. Here is the student solutions manual with full solutions to all the odd problems. It is less than $2 plus shipping, so less than $6.00 total. These books are written to adult learners, not kids. They are made for people who want to go to college, but don't have the math skills. There are tons of examples and all the instruction is in the book, no teacher's manual necessary at all.

Sara, I wouldn't suggest Saxon because it's not going to fit the style of an adult learner who wants to sit down and be efficient.  It teaches incrementally, which means it's parceling out the information in little steps and doing a LOT of review.  You probably don't have time for that.  No, I would not recommend AOPS to the average learner.  I'm consistently flabbergasted on the boards when I see it presented that way.  There are lots of different abilities and backgrounds and strengths represented here on the boards.  You've got women here with PhDs in science and math for whom certain things are pretty normal.  You've got all kinds of people.  No, AOPS is not going to be a normal learning route for most people.

Honestly, I would look for something with a teacher's manual inexpensively available to you.  That way you can see the problems worked out.  I don't think it matters particularly which curriculum you use, just that it's something that you actually CAN use and be successful with.  Any edition of Dolciani would work (old, new, doesn't matter), Foerster, BJU.  BJU just updated, but I think for this an old edition would be FINE.  Don't be too perfectionist about this.  Horizons (the upper end publication of Alpha Omega) has their new pre-algebra and algebra, don't they? Anything for which you can get a tm that has fully worked out problems will be fine.  

You know another suggestion is to put your kids in a quality math program and stay one step ahead of them.  A lot of what used to be taught in pre-algebra or algebra is trickling down now into the lower grades, and the math is getting very conceptual.  If you pick a good quality middle of the road math, say the newest editions of the BJU, and just work through it a grade ahead and really read the tms and understand WHY they do what they do, you're going to be fine.  

That's just another way to approach it.  I knew a mom who had not completed high school who homeschooled her many kids through calculus and had AWESOME test scores, and that's exactly how she did it, staying one math book ahead.   :)

Thank you! This is really what I was looking for :thumbup1:  I had heard so many good things about AoPS...but let's face it: I just want to learn Algebra, and I'm not a math whiz.

I appreciate your frank advice.

I use Khan Academy for myself. It was perfect for scratching all that rust off my algebra when my oldest was getting close. :)

I am thinking Khan Academy, too. I started at the top of the Knowledge Map  (Addition and Subtraction) and just did everything as it came up.

I also worked problems from Interact Math - it's free. Click "enter" and then choose a textbook from the drop down menu. The textbook itself is not available there, just problems to work (and hints). It's an excellent site to find problems.

Best wishes.

Thank you all who suggested Khan Academy; I have not had any experience with them at all. I will check it out.

Thank you for all the great ideas. I will be checking out Jacobs, Foersters, Lial's, and Khan. I knew you would come through for me!

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with a previous poster... I wouldn't discount AoPS before checking out their materials... especially the free videos and Alcumus section of their website. I always thought of myself as not particularly great at math, but somehow AoPS makes it understandable. You definitely do NOT have to do all the hardest problems in the book. They star some problems and have some challenge sections, but they are not required.

My kids really love it, too.

I am relearning algebra with my kid this year, using her Foerster book. I love it! Clear, to the point, excellent practice problems with suggested thought process for solving them given, and word problems that make me laugh, think hard, and succeed. Oh, and my kid loves it, too. Fwiw...

And here is another idea:

You coud use the Key to Algebra, a series of 10 consumable workbooks. This is a complete Algebra I course, easy to use and do--and cheap!  My middle son used this and loved its style. He then went on to take Algebra II in a study center with no problem.  It is do-able. Its style is so accessible. Perhaps its not the most challenging Algebra course (some people even call it pre-algebra)--but my math teacher friend looked at it and could find no major Algebra I concepts missing. It may not be thorough enough for a nasa engineer, but it is so accessible!  In your situation, I would think that the main criteria is to find a curriculum that's do-able.

Enjoy your studies! 

I am almost 60 (!yikes!) and I am still learning:

Latin             /check

Greek history / check

Homer                  / check

Roman history    /check

Medieval history   / check

Dante                   / check

next up:   Italian!

I second or third starting with Khan Academy.  I am very poor in math, never pushed myself and never was pushed.  I think I graduated high school with Algebra 1 and that's it.

I spend some time on Khan (almost) each day.   I had to start below algebra (high school was a long time ago).  I do find it fun and challenging, though I admit I would prefer to spent my time doing other things.  But it's good, and it's good for my kids to see me doing it.

Both my kids have trouble with math and they use Khan a lot as well.   Algebra has been particularly difficult so I'm happy to see the recommendation for Key To.  I may order that next.  

I would take a look at CLE Algebra.  It seems like it might be a lot less time consuming than Saxon and has a similar approach with lots of practice and review.  I am working through it myself right now and doing 2 lessons in an hour easily.  I feel like I'm going to get a solid foundation with this program, so that I'm able to help my kids out if they get stuck once they begin algebra.