Menu

Hand cream

Scrub Jay

My absolute favorite is Norwegian formula hand cream (fragrance free) by Neutrogena. It moisturizes very well.  I must admit that I put it on the back of my hands only because I can't stand for my palms to be greasy.  I just rub the backs together to distribute it and get it to soak in. 

Don't get the similar looking foot cream or the package that says "creamy" or something on it.  I have made both of those mistakes and the product is not the same at all.

Edited to add: Ok, it doesn't say "creamy".  ha!  Checking for images online, I think the ones to avoid say things like "fast absorbing" or "light texture."  My favorite is very thick, sort of like solid shortening, and not like typical lotion. 

For everyday moisture:

Alba Vey Emoliant in regular or unscented. I am picky about scents, but really like how this one smells.   It soaks in fast and doesn't leave a greasy feeling.  You can buy it in stores like whole foods, New Seasons and now Target carries it in thier specialty section. 

Aveno  Daily moisture.  It is sold at Costco in a 2 pack and is our go to when we are in the mountains/dry climate.  

I don't like one more than the other, except that I really like the scent of the Alba.

For more intensive therapy....Norwegian  Hand Cream from Neutrogena.  It is greasy but can make major headway overnight on super dry skin.  When my husband used to handle a lot of cardboard for work, I would rub it into his hands to keep the from cracking and bleeding.  Regular lotion didn't touch it. I couldn't use it and then stay awake though, it is way too greasy for me.  That being said, I have used it and then wiped my hands with a hot wash cloth to remove the excess and it was fine.

My rhumatologist recommends Cerave but I haven't tried it.  I have chronically dry mouth and eyes, and he told me that using an all over moisturizer can help my body maintain moisture longer.   This was the only lotion he wanted me to use.  

My absolute favorite is Norwegian formula hand cream (fragrance free) by Neutrogena. It moisturizes very well. I must admit that I put it on the back of my hands only because I can't stand for my palms to be greasy. I just rub the backs together to distribute it and get it to soak in.

Don't get the similar looking foot cream or the package that says "creamy" or something on it. I have made both of those mistakes and the product is not the same at all.

Edited to add: Ok, it doesn't say "creamy". ha! Checking for images online, I think the ones to avoid say things like "fast absorbing" or "light texture." My favorite is very thick, sort of like solid shortening, and not like typical lotion.

Love this stuff, too! My hands used to get chapped in the winter and this helped eliminate that.

I recently discovered this shea butter (I'm becoming obsessed with this line of products, LOL): http://www.amazon.com/Shea-Moisture-Organic-infused-Coconut/dp/B005C2N8AU/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1378043794&sr=8-15&keywords=shea+moisture+butter+coconut+hibiscus  There is another version:  http://www.amazon.com/Shea-Moisture-SHEA-BUTTER-SEALED/dp/B005C2N8PK/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1378043860&sr=8-11&keywords=shea+moisture+butter+frankincense as well as baby eczema versions:  http://www.amazon.com/Shea-Moisture-Organic-Butter-Therapy/dp/B00CH719ZE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1378043860&sr=8-5&keywords=shea+moisture+butter+frankincense  When you can find them at Target or Walgreens, they are always cheaper than amazon.  The first one (I bought at Target - on sale this past week, FWIW) I've been using on my face - I was looking for something natural to replace the Eucarin I've been using for years, and I like the shea butter better (I live in a dry climate).

For totally cracked hands, I use this spray:  http://www.amazon.com/Zims-Crack-Creme-2-Ounce/dp/B0015SB4LA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1378043969&sr=8-2&keywords=crack+creme  This stuff is awesome.  It is a liquid and it does soak in quickly.