Menu

I was bold tonight. Very bold.

Nestof3

It's fine for you to find irony in it. And you are not required to believe any part of my story. Walking a few feet into Walgreens was worth it to me to tell her what I told her. I would have said the same thing had something similar happened in the library or the grocery store -- if the person's actions had threatened me. Had it been Walmart or the mall, I'm sure I would not have made the effort.

I wasn't bothered by an aggressive personality. I was bothered because her illegal driving was a threat to me. I did not act aggressively nor did I endanger her or break the law.

Why wouldn't I believe your story?  I don't think I've implied that I don't.

I think confronting a perfect stranger is aggressive.  You don't.  We'll have to agree to disagree.

By the way, I'm really curious as to why approaching someone in the library is okay but not Walmart.  Why the grocery store and not the mall?  Do you think a different type of person frequents Walmart than the library?

You might want to consider a letter to the editor about your concerns.  That could be a productive way to share your message.

Confronting one person isn't going to change much of anything.

I disagree with this. I think if more people stood up for the right thing instead of being afraid of "what if's" there would be fewer people taking advantage of others.

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that the OP was bothered by aggressive driving and her response was to be aggressive and confront the driver? Yes, I realize the OP states she was calm, but I believe one can be agressive and calm simultaneously.

I didn't see her response as aggressive. Saying something in the parking lot where the other woman could feel much more vulnerable would be aggressive.

I think it's likely the other woman will think about her driving next time she goes through that intersection. 

One time I stopped my van to tell a teen who was skateboarding with headphones on and swerved out in front of me that I almost hit him because he wasn't being careful. I felt perfectly fine doing that as well.

Goodness!! I saw on the news the other night that some teens were arrested for fighting. You're lucky you weren't killed!!!!! He could have had a knife, or a gun, or a bat, or even brass knuckles!! Best to avoid all teens in public. You just never know!

It's in my nature (hot head) to want to do things like this, and on occasion, I have.  Over time, I have come to the realization that confronting someone really doesn't do any good and if I take a deep breath and wait 10 minutes, it won't seem like such a big deal.  If anything, the confrontation amps me up more and I'm less likely to forget about it quickly.

Just my own observations about a part of myself I have thoroughly analyzed and wanted to change. 

Oh puleeze.

There was nothing beneficial or constructive to anyone or society by what you did.

She did something that ticked you off and by golly you were going make sure you told her off about it bc by golly you wanted to. That's the sum total of it.

I doubt you did anything whatsoever to change her driving. More likely she goes home shaken up about her encounter with some crazy gal at the drug store and decides maybe she should start carrying some mace or something.

These types of things are a part of life. Most rational people don't feel the need to follow folks and tell them how foolish they were. We're all fools some of the time.

I understand you don't think it was crazy, which is actually just as disturbing or more so, because you keep trying to justify your behavior.

Oh well. Good luck with that.

It's fine for you to find irony in it. And you are not required to believe any part of my story. Walking a few feet into Walgreens was worth it to me to tell her what I told her. I would have said the same thing had something similar happened in the library or the grocery store -- if the person's actions had threatened me. Had it been Walmart or the mall, I'm sure I would not have made the effort.

I wasn't bothered by an aggressive personality. I was bothered because her illegal driving was a threat to me. I did not act aggressively nor did I endanger her or break the law.

Maybe not where you are, but some areas have very strict road rage laws.  Following another driver to confront them (in a calm manner or otherwise) might be enough to meet the definition of unlawful behavior in some places.

It sounds as if you are dealing with a severe case of road rage.  You have mentioned 3 separate incidences in which you felt it necessary to go out of your way to teach others that they are not safe on the road.  I am sorry that you have had so many traumatic experiences, but it may be time to see a counselor.  

Here is a bit more info about what it sounds like you are describing: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-driving-safety/accidents-hazardous-conditions/road-rage.htm

"Driving a car is stressful -- it's inherently dangerous because even if you're the safest driver in the world, there are a lot different variables that you can't predict, ... That's the thought progression someone might have just before switching into road-rage mode, leading a driver to make irrational decisions very quickly. All of a sudden, you might be thinking: They need to know that what they're doing is dangerous and stupid, and you should show them."

I meant I wouldn't want to go through the effort of walking through a large store to try to locate her.

Why wouldn't I believe your story? I don't think I've implied that I don't.

I think confronting a perfect stranger is aggressive. You don't. We'll have to agree to disagree.

By the way, I'm really curious as to why approaching someone in the library is okay but not Walmart. Why the grocery store and not the mall? Do you think a different type of person frequents Walmart than the library?

You might want to consider a letter to the editor about your concerns. That could be a productive way to share your message.

It sounds as if you are dealing with a severe case of road rage. You have mentioned 3 separate incidences in which you felt it necessary to go out of your way to teach others that they are not safe on the road. I am sorry that you have had so many traumatic experiences, but it may be time to see a counselor.

Here is a bit more info about what it sounds like you are describing: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-driving-safety/accidents-hazardous-conditions/road-rage.htm

"Driving a car is stressful -- it's inherently dangerous because even if you're the safest driver in the world, there are a lot different variables that you can't predict, ... That's the thought progression someone might have just before switching into road-rage mode, leading a driver to make irrational decisions very quickly. All of a sudden, you might be thinking: They need to know that what they're doing is dangerous and stupid, and you should show them."

I agree. You're spending a lot of time justifying your following this woman by citing all sorts of information about other people that has no relevance to this particular woman. You're upset about traffic in general and taking it out on an individual. You did not teach this woman anything about traffic safety, you taught her that some people are unbalanced enough to track someone down who they perceive has wronged them and that she should be more vigilant about personal safety in the future. At least that's what I'd be thinking if I was her. I've been the cause of a few near accidents and had several happen to me. That's life. I've never felt the need to teach someone a lesson after the fact. That's not my job. I'm not the policeman of the world.

Road rage? Are you serious? I mentioned two instances. The second was an example that though I'm not completely comfortable addressing perfect strangers, I have done so when I felt the situation warranted it. The teen had no clue in the world that he ended up in front of me and that I had to swerve to stop from hitting him. I figured it was worth letting him know.

People are injured and die everyday because people fail to follow traffic rules. There is never an excuse to jerk into another lane without signaling and without looking. Road rage to me is when someone is angry that he or she cannot get what he wants on the road, so he puts others at risk in order to get it.

I was leaving a cul de sac once, driving at max about 15 miles an hour. A mom hollered at me, "Slow down." In my estimation, I wasn't doing anything wrong. But, I figured she was worried I was going too fast. I didn't deem her an aggressive woman but a concerned woman.

It sounds as if you are dealing with a severe case of road rage. You have mentioned 3 separate incidences in which you felt it necessary to go out of your way to teach others that they are not safe on the road. I am sorry that you have had so many traumatic experiences, but it may be time to see a counselor.

Here is a bit more info about what it sounds like you are describing: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-driving-safety/accidents-hazardous-conditions/road-rage.htm

"Driving a car is stressful -- it's inherently dangerous because even if you're the safest driver in the world, there are a lot different variables that you can't predict, ... That's the thought progression someone might have just before switching into road-rage mode, leading a driver to make irrational decisions very quickly. All of a sudden, you might be thinking: They need to know that what they're doing is dangerous and stupid, and you should show them."

I'm glad the woman you confronted took it well.

I had an experience in my early 20's that taught me that it's generally not a good idea to confront strangers unless absolutely necessary.  A guy cut me off in traffic, almost causing an accident.  At the next red light, I was right behind him.  I decided to use that opportunity to honk at him a few times and give him a dirty look when I saw him looking back in his rearview mirror. Much to my dismay, he got out of his car and stormed back to my car.  I had my window rolled down and couldn't get it up quickly enough.  He reached into my car, grabbed my hair and yanked my head around several times while yelling all kinds of obscenities at me.  Thankfully, the light turned green and he decided he'd done enough and got back in his car and took off.

I was able to get his license plate number, and planned to call the police when I got home.  Before I even had a chance to call, a police officer showed up at my door.  Apparently, the other guy filed a police report saying I had cut him off, which was complete B.S.  I told the officer my side of the story. He said the guy said he would drop the charges if I agreed not to file a report against him (this guy was apparently trying to head off any assault charges by being the first one to file the report). Because I was young and naive, and didn't want any more trouble, I agreed to drop it.  Nothing more came of it, but I lived in fear for several more months thinking that this guy might try to track me down and attack me again.

The world is full of crazy people.  When it comes to situations like the OP described, it's just not worth taking the risk to confront IMO. I'm certainly no wallflower, and I advocate for myself and my kids all the time.  But if someone cuts me off, takes "my" parking space, etc. I just let it go. 

I'm sorry if my tone didn't sound compassionate.  You have been through a lot and deserve to work through it.  Driving can be very stressful after an accident.

And, yes, you did mention 3 out of the ordinary road encounters:

1 - the lady you tracked into the store

2 - the woman you honked and yelled out your window at in stop & go traffic

3 - the teen you stopped your car to tell that he wasn't skateboarding safely

You're right. I do disagree. She wasn't being foolish. She came a second away from causing an accident involving me. Had I spoken to her condescendingly as you are, I would feel bad.

Had I thought of calling the police, it may have been a better choice, though I'm not sure they would do anything in way of warning her. I wasn't ticked -- I was scared. It does upset me that people do this at that light, but when it happened, I was scared because I knew how hard I had to slam on the brakes, and didn't have time to see if the person behind me was too close to avoid rear-ending me.

But, I'm getting a little tired of rehashing this whole thing.

Oh puleeze.

There was nothing beneficial or constructive to anyone or society by what you did.

She did something that ticked you off and by golly you were going make sure you told her off about it bc by golly you wanted to. That's the sum total of it.

I doubt you did anything whatsoever to change her driving. More likely she goes home shaken up about her encounter with some crazy gal at the drug store and decides maybe she should start carrying some mace or something.

These types of things are a part of life. Most rational people don't feel the need to follow folks and tell them how foolish they were. We're all fools some of the time.

I understand you don't think it was crazy, which is actually just as disturbing or more so, because you keep trying to justify your behavior.

Oh well. Good luck with that.

There are two kinds of drivers: those who regularly drive irresponsibly and those who regularly drive responsibly but are human and make mistakes. I don't think people from either group would change their driving based on someone following them into a drugstore. If someone from the road followed me into Walgreen's, I would think that person was completely imbalanced, and I would be unnerved and concerned for my safety no matter how polite s/he was.

I had an experience in my early 20's that taught me that it's generally not a good idea to confront strangers unless absolutely necessary.  A guy cut me off in traffic, almost causing an accident.  At the next red light, I was right behind him.  I decided to use that opportunity to honk at him a few times and give him a dirty look when I saw him looking back in his rearview mirror. Much to my dismay, he got out of his car and stormed back to my car.  I had my window rolled down and couldn't get it up quickly enough.  He reached into my car, grabbed my hair and yanked my head around several times while yelling all kinds of obscenities at me.  Thankfully, the light turned green and he decided he'd done enough and got back in his car and took off.

I was able to get his license plate number, and planned to call the police when I got home.  Before I even had a chance to call, a police officer showed up at my door.  Apparently, the other guy filed a police report saying I had cut him off, which was complete B.S.  I told the officer my side of the story. He said the guy said he would drop the charges if I agreed not to file a report against him (this guy was apparently trying to head off any assault charges by being the first one to file the report). Because I was young and naive, and didn't want any more trouble, I agreed to drop it.  Nothing more came of it, but I lived in fear for several more months thinking that this guy might try to track me down and attack me again.

The world is full of crazy people.  When it comes to situations like the OP described, it's just not worth taking the risk to confront IMO. I'm certainly no wallflower, and I advocate for myself and my kids all the time.  But if someone cuts me off, takes "my" parking space, etc. I just let it go. 

:grouphug:  That sounds terrifying!!!  Thank you for sharing though, it's a very good example of why it is NOT a good idea to confront other drivers.

Coming out of lurkdom, to disagree with the majority. . .

Assuming everything you say is accurate (and I have no reason to doubt your story):

I think your actions were assertive, not aggressive. I think a mild confrontation can make people see their actions in a new light and possibly be the impetus to make them more careful. If not, oh well, I don't think a mild confrontation would make a person drive worse.

As far as it being dangerous, I personally don't live my life as though every random person is unbalanced. I think remaining calm, maintaining adequate personal space & confronting her in a public place were adequate safety precautions.

On the other hand I am a total pansy & probably wouldn't have even honked.

People are injured and die everyday because people fail to follow traffic rules. There is never an excuse to jerk into another lane without signaling and without looking. Road rage to me is when someone is angry that he or she cannot get what he wants on the road, so he puts others at risk in order to get it.

Actually there are lots of reasons a person might jerk into another lane without signaling or looking. Like swerving to miss a skateboarder that suddenly acts erratic.

It doesn't matter what you think road rage is. Road rage is acting very much like you acted. And every one of them think they are justified at the time and maybe afterward too.

She was a grown woman (I wonder if you would have felt the need to speak to a man that way? I bet not.) who likely doesn't care about your opinion or need you to parent her driving. If it wasn't worth calling the police and didn't serve any social good, then yeah, your actions were nothing more than road rage and ego stroking.

Yes, you're right. I'm sorry for forgetting the texting one. I see so much texting while driving that I forgot about it.

Oh, there was another incident. We were going through the locally dreaded tunnel when this huge truck with the license plate soot foot or something like that drove in front of us. It was nearly bumper-to-bumper traffic. I was a passenger that day. He kept revving his engine -- maybe diesel -- and all this smoke would come out and cloud our view. We had to keep braking to avoid him. I did call the police on him, but they said it was unlikely they could do anything about it, but they asked for our location anyway.

I'm sorry if my tone didn't sound compassionate. You have been through a lot and deserve to work through it. Driving can be very stressful after an accident.

And, yes, you did mention 3 out of the ordinary road encounters:

1 - the lady you tracked into the store

2 - the woman you honked and yelled out your window at in stop & go traffic

3 - the teen you stopped your car to tell that he wasn't skateboarding safely

That is horrible, and I'm sorry it happened to you.

I had an experience in my early 20's that taught me that it's generally not a good idea to confront strangers unless absolutely necessary. A guy cut me off in traffic, almost causing an accident. At the next red light, I was right behind him. I decided to use that opportunity to honk at him a few times and give him a dirty look when I saw him looking back in his rearview mirror. Much to my dismay, he got out of his car and stormed back to my car. I had my window rolled down and couldn't get it up quickly enough. He reached into my car, grabbed my hair and yanked my head around several times while yelling all kinds of obscenities at me. Thankfully, the light turned green and he decided he'd done enough and got back in his car and took off.

I was able to get his license plate number, and planned to call the police when I got home. Before I even had a chance to call, a police officer showed up at my door. Apparently, the other guy filed a police report saying I had cut him off, which was complete B.S. I told the officer my side of the story. He said the guy said he would drop the charges if I agreed not to file a report against him (this guy was apparently trying to head off any assault charges by being the first one to file the report). Because I was young and naive, and didn't want any more trouble, I agreed to drop it. Nothing more came of it, but I lived in fear for several more months thinking that this guy might try to track me down and attack me again.

The world is full of crazy people. When it comes to situations like the OP described, it's just not worth taking the risk to confront IMO. I'm certainly no wallflower, and I advocate for myself and my kids all the time. But if someone cuts me off, takes "my" parking space, etc. I just let it go.

Road rage to me is when someone is angry that he or she cannot get what he wants on the road, so he puts others at risk in order to get it.

See, that's just it.  I think you are angry (frustrated) that you can't get what you want on the road.  You want other people to follow all traffic rules consistently.  That isn't happening and it makes you angry (frustrated.)  You have observed a pattern in a certain area and you just can't understand why people are so inconsiderate and refuse to follow the traffic laws.  You are angry (frustrated) about it.  You want to do something and make the traffic madness stop.  You're putting yourself at risk when you confront someone over this because you cannot predict what their response will be.  Even the junk food laden lady at Walgreens can react in unexpected ways.

I don't know the details of you accident but I gather that it was quite traumatic, not to mention costly.  I'm sorry you had to go through that.

:grouphug:  That sounds terrifying!!!  Thank you for sharing though, it's a very good example of why it is NOT a good idea to confront other drivers.

Thanks, it was terrifying.  I'm lucky this guy didn't seriously hurt me (just had a sore neck for a few days).

No, it was reckless enough to warrant calling the police, and you're right. I should have obtained her license plate number and called them instead.

Actually there are lots of reasons a person might jerk into another lane without signaling or looking. Like swerving to miss a skateboarder that suddenly acts erratic.

It doesn't matter what you think road rage is. Road rage is acting very much like you acted. And every one of them think they are justified at the time and maybe afterward too.

She was a grown woman (I wonder if you would have felt the need to speak to a man that way? I bet not.) who likely doesn't care about your opinion or need you to parent her driving. If it wasn't worth calling the police and didn't serve any social good, then yeah, your actions were nothing more than road rage and ego stroking.

You're right. I do disagree. She wasn't being foolish. She came a second away from causing an accident involving me. Had I spoken to her condescendingly as you are, I would feel bad.

Had I thought of calling the police, it may have been a better choice, though I'm not sure they would do anything in way of warning her. I wasn't ticked -- I was scared. It does upset me that people do this at that light, but when it happened, I was scared because I knew how hard I had to slam on the brakes, and didn't have time to see if the person behind me was too close to avoid rear-ending me.

But, I'm getting a little tired of rehashing this whole thing.

Scared and angry go hand in hand most of the time. Yes, she was being foolish. ALL near accidents come a second away from causing an accident. There's nothing unique about that and it doesn't change that she drove foolishly. Most accidents are caused by foolishness. It's a major problem with being human. For that matter, she may have been in a hurry to get a sugar drink because she felt her sugar dropping and she won't even remember the drive tomorrow. Idk. Neither do you. That's why police do investigating, not other random ticked off drivers.

I'd bet money if someone spoke to that woman, she would describe you not at all as you seem to think you sounded.

Because rational people who were scared by a near collision don't follow people to politely ask rhetorical questions and sweetly tell them how dangerous they were.

I was leaving a cul de sac once, driving at max about 15 miles an hour. A mom hollered at me, "Slow down." In my estimation, I wasn't doing anything wrong. But, I figured she was worried I was going too fast. I didn't deem her an aggressive woman but a concerned woman.

There is a huge difference between hollering something at a passing car and parking and then tracking someone down inside a store!

Okay. You can try to be in my head, but you're not being very successful. Not getting what I want is when traffic causes me to be later than I want. I truly didn't feel at risk talking to her. Perhaps I should have, but I didn't. I wasn't involved in the accident that totaled my van, BTW.

I acted because I thought the near accident was severe enough to warrant my action despite the fact that I didn't take into consideration that she may have turned violent. But, in the future, I will make an effort to obtain the information to phone police because that sort of driving is not inconvenient. It's threatening. And illegal -- just like texting while driving and driving under the influence. It's not foolish.

I'm inconvenienced all the time on the road, and inconvenience would never have prompted me to confront someone like that. Taking my parking space would have received no response.

See, that's just it. I think you are angry (frustrated) that you can't get what you want on the road. You want other people to follow all traffic rules consistently. That isn't happening and it makes you angry (frustrated.) You have observed a pattern in a certain area and you just can't understand why people are so inconsiderate and refuse to follow the traffic laws. You are angry (frustrated) about it. You want to do something and make the traffic madness stop. You're putting yourself at risk when you confront someone over this because you cannot predict what their response will be. Even the junk food laden lady at Walgreens can react in unexpected ways.

I don't know the details of you accident but I gather that it was quite traumatic, not to mention costly. I'm sorry you had to go through that.

There is a huge difference between hollering something at a passing car and parking and then tracking someone down inside a store!

Okay, so the problem isn't that I had confronted her but that I had to leave my car to do so. Had I been able to convey the same information without having to change locations, it would have been okay?

Okay. You can try to be in my head, but you're not being very successful. Not getting what I want is when traffic causes me to be later than I want. I truly didn't feel at risk talking to her. Perhaps I should have, but I didn't. I wasn't involved in the accident that totaled my van, BTW.

I acted because I thought the near accident was severe enough to warrant my action despite the fact that I didn't take into consideration that she may have turned violent. But, in the future, I will make an effort to obtain the information to phone police because that sort of driving is not inconvenient. It's threatening. And illegal -- just like texting while driving and driving under the influence. It's not foolish.

I'm inconvenienced all the time on the road, and inconvenience would never have prompted me to confront someone like that. Taking my parking space would have received no response.

But she may have felt at risk talking to you. If someone followed me into a store and confronted me like that I'd probably have started crying and been really freaked out.

But she may have felt at risk talking to you. If someone followed me into a store and confronted me like that I'd probably have started crying and been really freaked out.

Well, now I feel bad about that. I didn't want to freak her out or scare her.

Dawn, I think you should write a letter to the editor of your local paper (do you still have a local paper?) that talks about the problems you are seeing with drivers in general and maybe more specifically in this location that you say is so dangerous.  If no paper, maybe a letter to the mayor or city counsel.  It sounds like you see this happening quite frequently and I think perhaps you are just the right person to take action and make a change for the better in your community.  Doing this, plus as someone else suggested, talking to the police, might help. 

Okay, so the problem isn't that I had confronted her but that I had to leave my car to do so. Had I been able to convey the same information without having to change locations, it would have been okay?

Uh, no.  Hollering 'learn to drive' as you drive by, honk the horn, and give dirty looks is a little more normal and expected.  She knows she cut you off.  She shouldn't be surprised you are pissed at her. 

It is not an issue of you being in or out of your car (however I think it is a bigger issue that you did park, get out and then hunt her down in a store).  But even if you pulled up and tried to have that conversation you say you had while she was walking in would have still been out of the norm.  The woman that hollered to you to slow down does come across as concerned.  But you driving into a parking lot and trying to have the conversation at best would come across as you being a bitchie busy body know it all and at worst an agressive one. 

I don't think it was a good decision for the OP to confront the woman, but I don't get why so many are defending the other woman's behavior and trying to think up possible reasons to justify her cutting someone off while pulling into a parking lot to go shopping. Why is it so difficult to believe she really was driving aggressively or carelessly just because you disagree with the OP's reaction?

Maybe she was new in town and that caused her to drive erratically. There are so many what-ifs to this situation. I am stilled floored by your actions and justifications.

And you are free to feel such shock over my actions. Being new in town does not give a person the right to break the law and truly endanger someone. Drive slowly looking for a street name, yes. I am equally floored that it's acceptable to not alert the person behind you that you are changing lanes and/or to pull in front either without looking or without caring about the safety of the other person. All she had to was put her turn signal on and wait a second for me to pass, then change lanes. Instead, she sped up and jerked in front of me.

Just last week, a friend of mine posted on FB that her daughter's horse had been hit by a woman texting who drove into her lawn because she wasn't paying attention. Her daughter, who had been riding it, thankfully, wasn't hit. It just seems odd that we are only allowed to speak out against reckless driving when someone or something is actually killed. Or had I not been able to brake in time or if my son had been with me when I did so and was injured, then I would be free to tell her that she endangered me. Most would even think it acceptable to get angry and raise one's voice.

Bad drivers piss me off all the time.  I don't think that anyone will disagree with that.  I have never felt compelled to follow a bad driver in the store and confront them. I think that is the part that has people shaking their heads.   I'm not going to lose sleep over this post and I probably won't think anymore of it after today.  It has been an interesting read and I for one will now be worried that if I make a mistake driving someone may feel compelled to track me down...  I can't believe that you have never made a mistake driving(you seem to be setting yourself up as some kind of super-driver)  or that you can really know what will happen anywhere on the road from point A to point B.  Have you never been distracted, missed someone in a blind spot or thought a car was actually farther away than it was?