Menu

4th grade reading - what should it "look" like?

Wonder

I did another post about a 4th grade reading notebook, but apparently no one does that?  Or not like the one I was asking about?  Or it's a stupid question?  

So instead...what does "reading" look like for your 4th grader (or close to that level)?

How much assigned reading?

How much "free"?

What do you do re:vocab, comprehension, summaries/narrations/reports, etc.?

I have TWTM and know her recommendations, but just want to hear how this "looks" for others.  And can I count "Read Alouds" towards her reading time?  Or is that completely outside of the suggestions?

Honestly, I'm probably still too relaxed at this level.  DS1 is a good reader, so I let him read what he wants.  If I let him, he can finish a book/day.  We do have "assigned" books that go with our curriculum, but 99% of the time, he's choosing what he reads.  I have bought some of the BraveWriter Arrow things for some of the books...so we've just started using those.  

I did find this site online for free, which might be helpful.  http://www.k12reader.com

They have free spelling lists, reading comprehension sheets, etc.

Assigned book: normally 1 chapter, which is around 10 pages a day

Free reading: 30-45 minutes, the only thing I require is that DD chooses a book she hasn't already read. 

As far as comprehension, I'll ask her to narrate periodically, or ask her about her favorite character and why, or if she thinks X was right, why or why not, etc.

I don't count read-alouds as part of that time. 

This is what my oldest did for 4th:

McGuffey Reader - 1 lesson per week read aloud to me for elocution purposes.  We looked up unfamiliar words in the dictionary and took turns making sentences with them.

He had daily assigned reading for science, Bible, character, etc.  30 min. of science, 1 character story, etc.

I read history aloud daily with 1 written narration required per week.  He also had a stack of history books and classics to read at his leisure.

My 8yo will be a different story as I know he won't devour books as his older brother does.

I don't know what it is supposed to look like, but this is what I do for my dd9. 

1. She is required to read one chapter from her history book and answer comprehension questions, define vocabulary, and make flashcards. (Famous Men of Rome + MP's guide)

2.  She has a certain amount of science pages she reads each week for which she writes two written narrations. (Apologia's Zoology 1)

3.  1 hour a day is set aside to either read a literature book of her choosing and my approval, or nap, or both.  I don't expect her to read for the entire hour, so her other option is to nap.  Outside of school time she can read whatever she wants, which she usually does.

4.  She reads orally: scriptures daily, a short story from our writing curriculum 4x's/ week, and poetry 1X/ week.

I also read aloud at night and she narrates.

My 4th grader is a bookworm, so I really don't have a certain amount of time for him to read. We're doing Sonlight this year, so there is a reader to go with that. That's all I assign. On his own, he devours history, science, and various novels. He has a kindle and carries it around with him.

Periodically, I'll ask for an oral narration, or I'll ask a specific question about a book or the chapter he just read. On occasion, I'll have him draw a picture and write a couple sentences about what he read. I'm not very formal with it though.

We're starting to casually discuss literary elements, using the method outlined in Teaching the Classics. So far, we've only discussed one little preschool picture book (my younger kids joined in). We'll probably do this with a few books this year, but I doubt we'll go beyond picture books until next year.

Since my son is already reading and comprehending well, I am focusing more formal instruction on writing, which is a weaker subject. During the logic stage, we'll get into outlining, basic literary analysis, etc.

Well by 4th grade many homeschooled kids are reading way, way above level.  So, the priority here is to:

1.  Make sure they have worthy reading material.  ONly so much "series" fiction is allowed in my home.  I tend to choose historical fiction or newberry award winners.  I have taken books from several sources of excellent literature suggestions including, Honey for a Child's Heart, Sonlight, Veritas Press, Heart of Dakota, The Book Tree, etc.  If the kids don't have "junk" books to read, they develop a taste for more worthy books.  You don't want your child going from one junky series to the next.  I don't disallow all fun, or "series" books either because I have seen good things develop from them such as a family culture, storybooks, ongoing pretending together, etc. (I have allowed Magic Treehouse, Box Car Children And Warrior Cats.) Box Car Children are very morally upright, honest, hard working children ....it was nice to see how the family truly encouraged one another.  THis summer I let the Warrior Cats thing take hold and they loved it.  THey played together, made up stories together, drew pictures together, researched online about it, and even learned a new style of cartoon drawing.  However, now that the shelf is filled with Newberry books they are at a loss!  It is because they got used to the easy-peasy fast-moving, catchy story line.  Their brains will adjust back in a few weeks, but you don't want to give your children a steady diet of nothing but series fiction.

2.  Provide ample time for reading. In my house, we have no TV, and using Netflix on the computer is extremely limited.  We also have no video games or portable devices, and we do not over-extend ourselves.  So my kids MUST read to fill their time.  (Other than healthy exercise outdoors, personal hobbies of course).  Other families schedule a set time to read for an hour per day.

3.  Read ALoud.  If you are reading aloud, your children will grow their vocabulary, learn proper inflection, here good pronunciation, and you will naturall stop and explain new words, new ideas, concepts, characters, plot, etc.  YOu don't need a curriuclum for this but you may want to familiarize yourself with literary devices and terms. 

4.  Later on, your child can start learning to study books she has read (6-7th grade maybe).  My son is learning in Calvert 6 to keep a character list in the front of his book.  Not necessary now, but when you are reading SHakespeare in 9th grade, that would help.  The training is being set now, for later.  But in 4th grade, that is not necessary.

Hope this helps!!! 

Thanks for all the examples and insight!  My DD is definitely not a bookworm.  She is extremely social and would much rather play outside with her friends who live very close by.  And actually we only started homeschooling partway through the year last year.  I would say she reads above grade level but not WAY above.  Unfortunately, phonics was not emphasized during her PS experience.  I tried working on that a bit last year, but the prior reading "instruction" (mostly whole language) was/is definitely a barrier.  

I did another post about a 4th grade reading notebook, but apparently no one does that?  Or not like the one I was asking about?  Or it's a stupid question?  

So instead...what does "reading" look like for your 4th grader (or close to that level)?

How much assigned reading?

How much "free"?

What do you do re:vocab, comprehension, summaries/narrations/reports, etc.?

I have TWTM and know her recommendations, but just want to hear how this "looks" for others.  And can I count "Read Alouds" towards her reading time?  Or is that completely outside of the suggestions?

Once reading was something my ds liked to do and did a lot (in fact, sometimes needed to be stopped from doing to get other things done), no assigned reading as such (only if it were specific to another subject like history, math, science where reading was needed).   All "free" reading, but books had to be checked with me for suitability once they came out of young adult or adult section, and sometimes I tried to steer toward books I thought might both be liked and be worthwhile.  No assignments based on reading, but ds would often excitedly narrate what he was reading to me.

vocabulary--often I'd be asked what a word meant, or if we were reading aloud, I'd explain one I thought might not be known...  

writing was not assigned based on  fiction book reading

I have a 4th grader who is a really good reader yet hates it.  I am taking a gentle approach hoping to bring her to at least like reading.  I assign an excerpt from a classic or a chapter of a quality book daily.  I ask her what it was about but leave it there.  Having her write about it just makes her hate it more.  We write about other things.  I require "free" reading and gulp down my distaste as she devours graphic novels and manga. :huh: The only books that are "fun" according to her.  I make her sit in on read alouds but her eyes glaze over in 2 seconds so I don't count it as reading time for her.  I do for her brother who likes them.

My dd is doing 4th grade work and her reading schedule looks like this:

Assigned reading: at least 10 pages a day

Reading lesson: use BJU Reading, we do together and takes about 30 mins

Writing: BJU Reading has enrichment activities after the lessons that include writing ideas related to literary content. We also read a poetry book and try writing the different types of poetry.

Free Reading: I don't have any rules here because she reads so much on her own. She reads chapter books ranging from Diary of Wimpy Kids to Harry Potter book 4(currently reading this) but also likes picture books.

Read alouds:I read to her from the SL core D books 20-30 mins, her dad reads at night about 15-20 mins, and audio books for car rides

Vocabulary is in the BJU reading but we sporadically do Wordly Wise.

PS I was helped a lot by the book The Book Whisperer in getting to where my ds became an avid reader.

Is it possible for you to list the "main points" of this book? :)  Coming out of public school, my DD didn't care much for reading.  I tried to just let her find something she really liked and just let her go with it.  This past year I admit it was mostly "Geronimo Stilton" and some of the Magic Tree House books.  She enjoyed Charlotte's Web, though, too.

Thanks for all the examples and insight!  My DD is definitely not a bookworm.  She is extremely social and would much rather play outside with her friends who live very close by.  And actually we only started homeschooling partway through the year last year.  I would say she reads above grade level but not WAY above.  Unfortunately, phonics was not emphasized during her PS experience.  I tried working on that a bit last year, but the prior reading "instruction" (mostly whole language) was/is definitely a barrier.  

Wonder, 

Kudos to you for realizing your dd was getting a sub-par education.  You go!!! And it's ok that she's not a bookworm.  Physical exercise and time outdoors are just as important for her development!

Meanwhile, step one is to decide if she indeed has had enough phonics.  Can she decode new words?  If not, then reading will be exhausting for her, and confusing as she may guess at new words.

Otherwise,

Just do like I said, and be sure to set aside 1 hour per day of silent reading from excellent sources.  And also read aloud to her.  Here are some of our favorite read-aloud books:  The ones with a * are also fine for a 4th grade reading level if you want her to read them.   :o)  

Adam of the Road

Ginger Pye*

Strawberry Girl*

INdian Captive by Lois Lenski

The Chronicles of Narnia (some of the best family bonding moments ever)

The Prince and the Pauper (difficult at first, but the story is great--only the unabridged is worth reading aloud!)

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Edited to Add: Little House on the Prairie...we grew and laughed and cried with Laura!

HTH!

Well to be honest it's just like anything else.  WHatever you develop a taste for, is what you have a taste for. This goes for reading just like it does for food.  

So, just go on amazon, or go to the library and you pick out the books and bring them home and then you set a timer and she has to pick one and read it. Obviously, you don't want to go from Gerinomo Stilton straight to Narnia.  So pick something in the middle.  You may have to spend some money to make sure you get the books you really want.  Read aloud ideas are above this post.

For her to read alone:

In Grandma's Attic

Betsy Tacey books

The Dragon of Lonely Island

Homer Price

Stuart Little

Baby Island

Burgess Books (all about animals that talk - classics)

Abridged versions of Classics _ the Illustrated Classics series was a favorite of my dd!  She read almost every classic there was that way.  

We are pretty laid back about literature.  My DC are 6th and 3rd and have:

--assigned book, one chapter per day (1/2 chapter if it's very long), some of these go with our history lessons and the rest are a variety of genres

--free reading, usually before bed, I don't time this at all

--literature read aloud as a family, about a chapter per day, we are currently using a "guide" but it's mostly open-ended questions, a little vocabulary, and some related quotes (Roar! A Christian Family Guide to Chronicles of Narnia)

We went over literary elements awhile back, but probably should re-visit those again this year or next.  We also do a bit of narration, but I usually take those from our other subjects (mostly history, science, Bible).  For reading ideas, I check out AO, Charlotte Mason Help, and this list: http://www.classical-homeschooling.org/celoop/1000.html

4th grade is where I start assigning the occasional book report, maybe 4x a year, following a set format so they learn what to look for plus it's writing/essay practice.  We do the Pizza Hut Book-It program, and I vary my requirements of them each year.  This year I'm going to assign what they will read for that credit, and let them pick a project to show me that they read & understood it.  Projects will be from this book or this site - my older dd has done some fun things from the website, and I got the book cheap at Goodwill.  Otherwise it's pretty much free reading, because both of mine enjoy it and I just keep an eye on what they're bringing home.  If I had a child who didn't choose to read in their free time I'd probably require more in school time.  We've done some comprehension question workbooks, and they don't seem to benefit much from them, it just becomes busywork, so I don't bother now.

I don't assign reading to my 4th grader.  I don't require any sort of assignments related to reading.  I taught her to read using a solid phonics program, and she has always read far, far above grade level.  I just let her enjoy her reading.  What I do:

1. Have a 2 hour block set aside for reading every afternoon.  She is free to read whatever she wants or to nap instead.  She reads a lot beyond this - probably 4-6 hrs per day.

2. Read good literature out loud to her.  I always have a historical fiction book I'm reading out loud to her during school time (about to start Across Five Aprils).  Dh always reads non-school literature aloud to her and her brother in the evening (currently The Hobbit).

3. Take her to the library regularly.  If she seems like she's in a rut (reading nothing but Dear America books), then I will reserve some "good" books or Newbery winners for her ahead of time.  Then I have her look through those when we get to the library before she goes through the regular shelves.  That has really helped her to find better books and discover new authors.

4. I ask about the books she's reading.  I don't do it all the time or with every book, but I ask occasionally.  If she's excited about a book, then she will usually want to tell me about it.  It's never checking up or requiring a narration, it's just chatting about literature cause that's what we do.

I don't assign any reports or narrations from free read books at *any* level. At that age/grade, I have a "book basket" of science/history/lit loosely correlated with what we are studying that the kids can choose from. Depending on the kid, I might assign them to pick something, but the only 'output' is discussion.

If your daughter isn't a strong reader, you might still make sure to have her read aloud to you every day. (You can trade off & have her read a page, then you read a page, etc.) I'm not big on requiring a certain amount of time for free or assigned reading. I might have to do that for the boys, but I hope not! 

I've assigned lit/history/science (extra book) readings as part of my oldest's workload the last two years. That started in 6th grade. I still have another year or two before next dd gets to that level, but it seems like a good age/grade to include mandatory extra readings (other than the text).

My son is *officially* 3rd grade here but his birthdate put him on the line to be either 3rd or 4th here.

This below is similar to what I do for ds.  I have a shelf of classics around his level and he is to read some during quiet time.  Generally he reads at least an hr, it is not unusual for him to read for a few hrs or more a day.  He is also reading some for science and history, I have 20 minutes scheduled for each.  Usually it is a mix of reading, some activities and my reading which varies each day.  I'm not doing any official analysis, we do discuss vocab and such as it comes up.  He is free to read whatever is in the house at other times.  Generally he will stick to one chapter book at a time but reads from the book basket or various other non-fiction books around the house.

I had a fourth grader last year. He was/is a strong reader, and we are a family of bookworms.

His daily reading:
- 30-45 minutes in the book of his choosing from the shelf I prestocked with high quality children's literature (no comprehension work beyond discussing what he read with mom)
- chapter or two in a science book (no comp needed, he was usually excited to share what he read)
- chapter from a children's Bible (discussion with mom afterward)
- a few history titles spread throughout the year

Our daily read aloud pile averaged 5 titles: one children's collection (The Children's Hour, Lang's fairy tales, etc), one book of poetry, one science topic, one history topic or story, and one classic children's literature. We discussed these randomly.

His free reading was done on his own time in whatever book he wanted, and I never made an attempt to test comprehension.

We don't do literary analysis at this age, and none of my kids have ever made a book report. We'll discuss some vocabulary as we go, but we don't formally study it through literature.

What should it look like?  It depends on your child.  

I require my VSL to read for 30 minutes per school day.  Some days he also reads 20-30 minutes for science, history, or Bible.   I have him narrate or answer a few questions.  He HATES this part, but I need to check for understanding because his mind wanders quite often.  He also has a light on his bed and is allowed to read in bed for about 30 minutes, but often chooses to just go to sleep.  I choose classic literature for the most part and haven't done a reading program so far, but I'm going to use a reading program with him (at his request).  He wants a reading program (anthology-style) with a workbook.  I think it will be good for him too.  However, it wouldn't have been a good choice for my other son when he was in 4th grade. 

For vocabulary we do a separate program - Excavating English.  I read the text aloud and my son does exercises on his own or with me.  He really enjoys this one.  Today he was creating sentences with words that have disappeared from the English language.  It is a great fit for his creative spirit and it was also well-loved by my other son too.

We also do narrations with the Classical Writing curriculum.  I'm not really having him do any writing outside that curriculum right now.

Reading at our house looks like this:

I have an assigned reading list for dd9. These are books that I want her to read because it is good literature that I don't think she would choose on her own. Almost every time she gets into the books and really enjoys them. These are not purposefully tied to history studies, but sometimes they do overlap. I do zero assessment of these books other than generic questions about what happened in the book, who's your favorite character, etc. This is mainly to make sure she actually read it. Here is her assigned reading list for fourth grade.

I also use K12's Literature program (just the books that I buy used from Amazon) without the online component. This introduces literary terms to her through short stories and poetry. This only takes about 15-20 minutes since we do almost all of it orally. I have her read the stories/poems aloud to work on her elocution and to notice if she is mispronouncing anything.

Of course she has free reading time whenever she wants it, but I don't time her or force her to do it. She usually reads her library books at bedtime.

This year for 4th grade, I am having her begin taking over some of her history/science reading for herself slowly leading her this year to be completely independent with her history/science reading by 5th grade. Or we might have another tandem year for 5th if this plan doesn't work.

However, I don't think that there is a certain way that reading should look in your house or my house. So take everyone's suggestions and fit them to your family and your daughter. 

Assigned reading: 1 BIble story and 1 chapter of a book I select daily.  Each of these is narrated orally to me daily.

Free reading:  required 30 minutes per day - He can read what he want, he just needs to report what he has finished so I can gauge his reading speed and level and make recommendations of books he may enjoy

Read Aloud (him to me): twice a week reading fables, poems, selections from stories - takes 5 minutes or so

Read Aloud Together:  1 chapter per day

Coming out of public school, my DD didn't care much for reading. I tried to just let her find something she really liked and just let her go with it.

Public school reading tends to be more teacher directed. Kids are typically assigned readings by the teacher. My kid would come back with an assigned book per day. Sometimes he brought the same book back because the teacher had ran out of books at his level.

If your child is used to assigned reading, then it might take awhile for her to discover what kind of books she like to read.

His school reading is K12 literature and he has an assigned list to pick from. For leisure reading, he is in the middle of finishing the entire Hardy Boys series.