Menu

Let's revisit menu planning!

I keep:

Frozen hamburger patties that I can fry and crumble for a little bit of meat to add to bean tacos or spagetti sauce

Cheese in the freezer

canned beans

tomato sauce

butter, milk and flour to make a white sauce for pasta, or tuna casserole, or whatever

pasta, lots of different kinds

frozen broccoli and peas

canned tuna

whole wheat burritos

bagged lettuce

As an aside, one of the best books I ever read was My Life in France, by Julia Child. It inspired me to stop using so much ready made stuff when making it myself was just as easy. Thanks to Julia, I can now make a mean sauce!

Not necessarily in the pantry, but on hand:

Pasta

Rice

Eggs

Spaghetti sauce

Diced Tomatoes

Frozen vegies

Black beans

Garbanzo beans (for hummus)

Tortillas

Cheese

Refried beans (although I made some yesterday, very yummy)

Onions

Sweet peppers

Ground beef

Ground turkey

Frozen chicken breasts and thighs

Cream soups (although I prefer making this from scratch)

Tuna

Canned chix and tuna and salmon

frozen chix breast

Mac N cheese

pasta

spagh sauce and tomato saucec

canned mushrroms

frozen veggies

pizza crusts

various cheeses

tortillas and taco shells

frozen hash browns

Baking mix for pancakes, coffee cake and crustless quiche type dishes

beans

onions, potatoes, tomatoes, carrots and peppers

rice ( brown quick cooking )

applesauce, canned fruit

chix broth

Sometimes it helps to do the work ahead and freeze it..as in:

I bought burger in bulk and would fry ahead of time and freeze in meal size containers. thaws quickly for tacos or sloppy joes or even spaghetti meals.

also bought burger n bulk and would get out my Bosch and make large batches of meatloaf/meal balls. A bag of frozen meatballs would work too.

turkey breast which I cooked over night in crockpot. I could usually get 4 meals out of one cooked turkey breast. Sandwiches, a casserole or two, turkey and potatoe hash and then finally soup.

coucous take 10 minutes tops, rice, tons of different veggies canned and frozen. The basic flour, sugar, eggs, milk and loads of different cheeses in the refrig. Onions, peppers, celery, chicken broth, beef broth, cream of soups...etc

I also keep loads of veggies chopped up in ziplocks for quick stir-fry with rice or coucous and omelets. I keep deli sliced type of meats for sandwiches or subs. I also keep frozen biscuits and quick dinner rolls in the freezer, great when you want breakfast for dinner.

Pasta sauce with mixed veggies is delicious. Alfredo with chopped ham and peas is yummy.

Potatoes for potato soup. Quick corn break mixes.

I also keep frozen Pepperidge farms Italian breads. They are great with pasta dishes or stir-fry.

Hope this helps. :)

Things kept on hand are:

pastas - angel hair, rotini, elbows

rice

couscous - flavored. I haven't found a good recipe to flavor plain couscous

tomato sauce

Canned veggies - kidney beans, peas, green beans, corn, olives, black beans and mixed veggies

jam, jelly and peanut butter

muffin mixes, cake mixes and Bisquick (makes so many things)

crackers - saltines and triscuits. Great with soups and salads

potatoes, onions, carrots, celery, bell peppers, lettuce, cucumbers

cheese - both american and cheddar. Sometimes mozzarella, provolone and swiss

eggs, milk, butter

pepperoni slices, sliced meats for sandwiches

meat - types of beef, chicken parts, pork parts (ham, bacon, chops, tenderloin, sausage, smoked sausage)

fruit - apples, mangos, pineapple (fresh and canned), bananas

With the exception of paper products, drinks, and toiletries. That is my shopping list. LOL

pasta(all kinds) and sauce

cream soup, peas, egg noodles and tuna (tuna cassarole)

beans(black/pinto) and rice

chili mix, black beans, kidney beans, diced tomatoes for chili and I always make sure I keep a few pounds of hamburger in the freezer

pancake mix and good maple syrup

peanut butter/jelly

variety of soups (preferrabley progresso that I find on sale and purchase by the case also, campbells tomato soup, chicken noodle)

I use the list on page xii in The Martha Stewart Cookbook Collected Recipes for Everyday in the section entitled, "The Pantry." I must admit that I started maintaining my pantry this way pre-homeschooling. I adjust the list to fit the seasons and my families likes and dislikes. Oh! I forgot. Peas! we just love peas in my house.

I keep a pretty well stocked pantry year round but really beef it up just before winter. I love fewer trips to the grocery store January through April.

Rice

tons of pastas

canned tomatoes

tomato paste

potatoes (during winter I bake a bunch at a time and freeze them.)

beans canned and dried

lots of cheeses

bread flours & apf

yeast

croutons ;)

baked beans

tuna

onions

salmon

Mayo

mustard

garlic

stuff for pancakes and waffles

eggs

ham

butter

olive oil

frozen veggies

precooked meat like chicken frozen

Knorr soup mix to spice different things up like soup & spinach dip

Knorr bouillon

Worcestershire Sauce

Teriyaki Sauce

Soy Sauce

Sugar

Crackers

cashews

Window winter herbs like rosemary, chives and anything else that will grow.

I use the list on page xii in The Martha Stewart Cookbook Collected Recipes for Everyday in the section entitled, "The Pantry." I must admit that I started maintaining my pantry this way pre-homeschooling. I adjust the list to fit the seasons and my families likes and dislikes. Oh! I forgot. Peas! we just love peas in my house.

I had that book and I remember that list. I am so intimidated by cooking though. It's terrible if I make something and it turns out yucky. I feel so bad!

I'm taking baby steps!

I had that book and I remember that list. I am so intimidated by cooking though. It's terrible if I make something and it turns out yucky. I feel so bad!

I'm taking baby steps!

I know this may sound silly, but I would start with her salad dressing recipe. Once you get that down pat, then you can start shaking it up a little. Like substituting rice wine vinegar for the balsamic vinegar for an Asian twist.

:lol::lol::lol: Heather! LOL! You are too funny! Turn in the TV food network and become a sponge.

About that, I can't watch Rachel Ray, she usues her hands too much. That Giada, well, does anyone look that good while they cook? I haven't watched Paula Dean, and that barefoot one, that's not happening.

I have tried to get dh to watch Bobby Flay since he bought the mother of all grills, we'll see.

I do watch Iron Chef, think I can pick up anything from that?

About that, I can't watch Rachel Ray, she usues her hands too much. That Giada, well, does anyone look that good while they cook? I haven't watched Paula Dean, and that barefoot one, that's not happening.

I have tried to get dh to watch Bobby Flay since he bought the mother of all grills, we'll see.

I do watch Iron Chef, think I can pick up anything from that?

I would try Tyler Florence. He does several shows: 911 and Tyler's Ultimate. I would record them just incase you need to see a step repeated. I love Iron Chef, but they are not where to start.

Me thinks I need The Idiots Guide to Cooking!

. . . you know, to friends, from time to time. Have I mentioned it here? :D

It's called How To Cook Without A Book.

It has a suggested pantry list.

I think it'll help you do what you're trying to do. It's completely unintimidating, and the focus is on getting you from ingredients on hand to dinner.

This is an example of how it approaches recipes--a basic master formula, that will work with any number of variations. You don't need a recipe for cream of broccoli soup, and a separate one from cream of pumpkin soup, and a separate one for cream of rutabaga soup. You just need to know how cream-of-blank soups function, and you can make one without even thinking about it, with whatever veggie you have on hand.

. . . you know, to friends, from time to time. Have I mentioned it here? :D

It's called How To Cook Without A Book.

It has a suggested pantry list.

I think it'll help you do what you're trying to do. It's completely unintimidating, and the focus is on getting you from ingredients on hand to dinner.

This is an example of how it approaches recipes--a basic master formula, that will work with any number of variations. You don't need a recipe for cream of broccoli soup, and a separate one from cream of pumpkin soup, and a separate one for cream of rutabaga soup. You just need to know how cream-of-blank soups function, and you can make one without even thinking about it, with whatever veggie you have on hand.

You know, I searched before I popsted and saw this on your blog. I may have to venture over to Amazon and add it to my cart!

I do want to work on keeping certain items around so that I'm not pulling my hair out fixing dinner. With dh's schedule I can't exactly plan, but I want to be able to fix something!

Thanks Sarah!

For quick meals, I keep quick rices, soups and broths, canned beans of all sorts, canned fruits, canned vegis, frozen or ready-mix breads, and all sorts of dry or liquid seasonings in my pantry. In the fridge, I keep pre-minced garlic, lemon juice, lots of cheeses - especially shredded varieties, bacon bits, dressings, etc. In the freezer, I keep a variety of meats that can be thawed quickly, such as chicken breast fillets, ground round, fish fillets, sausages, etc. I keep extra shredded cheese in the freezer until I need it, along with minced onion and various vegi blends.

Some 30 minute meals I do:

Red beans or white beans and rice, with cornbread

hamburger steaks with mushroom gravy (ground round), mashed potatoes, etc.

various chicken dishes that use dressings as flavorful sauces for the chicken

pancakes and bacon for dinner!

mahi or other fish fillets sauteed in lemon, butter and lemon pepper (or terayaki sauce), steamed vegis, etc.

I use a book called Desperation Dinners for ideas for a bunch of stuff I do, too. I think all their meals are 30 minutes or less.

• 2 years later...

Pasta, hamburger meat, rice, chicken breasts, frozen veggies, cans of crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, onions, potatoes, carrots, celery, garlic, peppers, beans, tortillas, broth. I also have various things like vinegars, spices, Worcestershire, soy sauce, etc.

I can usually make: stir fry, spaghetti (sauce from scratch), chicken noodle soup, meatloaf, black beans and rice or tacos at any given moment. I'm sure there are others meals.