Menu

If you have ever forgotten your canvas bags

How do you use the bags in the grocery store? I shop mostly at Wal-Mart. I buy a full cart load once a week. Do you put your bags in front of your groceries? Do you have to explain what they are for each time? I've never seen anyone using real bags at Wal-Mart.

How do you use the bags in the grocery store? I shop mostly at Wal-Mart. I buy a full cart load once a week. Do you put your bags in front of your groceries? Do you have to explain what they are for each time? I've never seen anyone using real bags at Wal-Mart.

I don't usually shop at Wal-mart, but I've used reusable bags at chains like Kroger and Target without any problem. I may get a faint look of surprise (it's still only a small percentage of people who use reusable bags, so they're usually reaching for plastic already), but no one has ever complained or acted put-out. Target is now selling their own reusable bags, as is Publix, though I can't remember if I've seen them at Kroger yet. Trader-Joes and Ikea both actively encourage people to bring their own bags (and they sell their own store-brand reusable bags as well).

Melissa,

Our Wal-mart actually sells their own reusable bags. So they should know what they are.

I just send mine down in front of the groceries. At first, I would have to say, "Please use only my bags."

I do have to remind the checker to not wrap the forzen stuff in plastic bags before putting them in my reusable bags. (silly girls)

And I buy a lot of groceries. I have about 20 of the large square reusable bags.

I was just talking to my dh about this problem of mine yesterday. I went to my alma mater's bookstore and noticed that they've got their own reusable bags, so I bought one to add to my "collection". So far, I have bags from: Safeway, another local grocery store , Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Barnes and Noble, and our local hardware store!

On the other hand, maybe it isn't a problem. Maybe "bag collecting" could count as my hobby. It's certainly cheaper than my ds's coin collecting!

In our area, stores will soon be required to charge a fee for plastic bags. Right now we're allowed to include certain plastic bags in with our weekly recycling collection, but I've started hoarding them instead because I don't want to have to pay for bags that I end up using to pick up other people's dog p**p in front of our house and other similar/gross uses! But I sure don't want to call this a hobby. :laugh:

In my Wal-mart I place them on top of my groceries at the front. I smile and say I've brought my own bags. Some scowl at me, some make positive comments, some roll their eyes. Only one cashier is sure how to load them. I actually bagged my own as one girl was putting 2 or 3 items in each. I make sure I don't get in her line anymore. :glare: I am the only one I have ever seen use these bags in the store.

I try to keep mine in the car and still can forget them.:glare:

The ladies at Walmart almost always try to scan them even when I cheerfully have said "I've brought my own bags." :glare: I just repeat, these are my bags...See the GreenValleybags.com logo. They stand up and open like an old fashioned paper bad. Love em... Target, and our other grocery stores do pretty well with them.

Oh, my goodness! The university where I work has been spinning it's wheels but trying to work on sustainability issues and there has been lots of conversation about social marketing. I sent this clip to the whole sustainability committee (those old stuffed shirts) because they need to lighten up and start thinking outside that darned box. So thank you thank you!

I was just talking to my dh about this problem of mine yesterday. I went to my alma mater's bookstore and noticed that they've got their own reusable bags, so I bought one to add to my "collection". So far, I have bags from: Safeway, another local grocery store , Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Barnes and Noble, and our local hardware store!

On the other hand, maybe it isn't a problem. Maybe "bag collecting" could count as my hobby. It's certainly cheaper than my ds's coin collecting!

In our area, stores will soon be required to charge a fee for plastic bags. Right now we're allowed to include certain plastic bags in with our weekly recycling collection, but I've started hoarding them instead because I don't want to have to pay for bags that I end up using to pick up other people's dog p**p in front of our house and other similar/gross uses! But I sure don't want to call this a hobby. :laugh:

I have a collection too -- Walmart, Kid decorated canvas bags, ones DH brings home as gift from vendors, Jewel, and Costco (love these!)

No, no, no! You must use the sturdy plastic laundry basket! All the groceries go in the basket, no bagging needed. It's one big heave and into the van, then at home unload the items for the chest freezer right away, before toting into the house.

:D

In Europe they have special plastic crates that look like laundry baskets that are used for groceries.

I have a collection too-from Trader Joe's (oh, how I miss my Trader Joe's), Target (thanks to my sister, they got them after we moved), the commissary, our local drug store, my Peace Hill Press bag, my Lush bag, free bags I got somewhere or another, etc. I also have one of those collapsible crates I bought when I lived in Europe but I use it to tote school stuff around the house. I do forget mine now and then but I remember a good 95% of the time.

According to a corporate directive, Wal-Mart is supposed to put the reusable bags on one of the hangers on every register carousel, and offer them to customers. It's just starting to happen at my store, even though the directive was sent out in, like, April.

I've been refusing plastic bags since the beginning of the year and I still have the SAME cashiers who ring me up several times a WEEK and know me sticking myself in plastic bags if I don't say anything, because it's habit.

I usually ask customers if they'd like a reusable bag, unless they're trying to pay for grocery items with change (i.e., they're probably broke).

Quite a few people say they have them at home and forgot them, actually.

The Wal-Mart bags are cute. They're black and say "Paper? Plastic? Neither." on the side.

Even more fun than bags is when I go to the grocery store down the street with the cooler and load it all into there, to walk home with.:tongue_smilie: