Menu

WVNA

Has anybody had their kids read George Orwell's 1984?  If so, what grade level do you think is appropriate to have a child read through this book?  I just started reading through it again(last time was in high school), and I'm not too concerned about the level of reading.  However, I seem to remember that there was some sexual content in it that might not be appropriate for kids younger than high school students.

Thanks in advance.

I read it in 1984... I was in7th grade.

The sex didn't stand out (but I read Valley of the Horses the same year).

What did stand out was the rat in the cage strapped to his face and screaming, "not to me...do it to her".

That scene was enough that I'll want to wait a bit longer to assign it to my son. If he picks it up on his own, that's fine, but otherwise, I'd wait until high school.

Late High school, if ever. I had such a bad reaction to the book that seeing the title of the thread made me recoil and it has been years since I read it. I never reccomend the book. I have a friend, though, that loves it and reads it every few years? Even he does not reccomend it before high school.

DS read it in 8th grade; he's into dystopia. He really wanted to read it; I would otherwise have assigned it in 12th grade with 20th century.

The entire book is very disturbing and not appropriate for young children (not because of sexual content of which I can't recall any).

I'm a bit conservative, but due to the torture/brain-washing, the totalitarian themes and discussions had by the characters, I'd save 1984 for upper high school. I think older students will get the most out of the work by waiting, as you'll really want to discuss the political state, the totalitarian ideas, and the psychology of living in a "watched" society.

And, I did find it somewhat psychologically brutal and disturbing as an adult, although not it is not graphic in description.

As far as sex, while you understand that the main characters are having an affair (he is married but living apart from his wife, she is single), and some of the scenes take place while they are naked in bed, there is no real description of physical intimacy -- it is just one of numerous settings for their discussions about rebelling against the government. So the "sex" is not really at all about sex, if you understand what I mean. :)

In contrast, 7th/8th graders could read and understand Orwell's Animal Farm with a little guidance and explanation of the political background, and there is nothing overtly brutal or graphic at all. (As an adult, you understand the undertones of when one of the animal characters disappear but that's based on understanding that repressive, dictatorial governments in real life make unwanted people "disappear". :()

PS -- ETA:

OP: What is your goal by considering having your young student read 1984? Looking for 20th century classics? Student is interested in totalitarian governments? Wanting to read it before watching the film version? Or... ??

Perhaps if you post what you're looking for, we might be able to help suggest works that might be a better fit at this time for your student. :)

In 7th grade, we did a unit on dystopians which included 1984.  And it was by far the least accessible book of all of them, including Brave New World. It definitely would have been better to wait a number of years.  Here is the list he read, perhaps you could choose something else:

The time machine

Iron Heel

Anthem

Brave New Wrold

Walden 2

Animal Farm

Farenheit 451

Chrysalids

Day of the Trifids

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep

Running man

He did not want to read Lord of the Flies, and he shouldn't have read Brave New World!

Ruth in NZ

I think I read in at about 15 but I don't have that clear a recollection or it (vaguely the rat scene), I read 1984, dad kapital and Mein kampf at the same time which I remember a bit more about. I only read these as free reading though it may have been different if I studied them.

I agree. Last year, Nathan read Animal Farm and loved it. He also read A Day No Pigs Would Die, Watership Down, Lord of the Flies, and To Kill a Mockingbird, among others.

We laugh that I had an animal theme going on.

I'm a bit conservative, but due to the torture/brain-washing, the totalitarian themes and discussions had by the characters, I'd save 1984 for upper high school. I think older students will get the most out of the work by waiting, as you'll really want to discuss the political state, the totalitarian ideas, and the psychology of living in a "watched" society.

And, I did find it somewhat psychologically brutal and disturbing as an adult, although not it is not graphic in description.

As far as sex, while you understand that the main characters are having an affair (he is married but living apart from his wife, she is single), and some of the scenes take place while they are naked in bed, there is no real description of physical intimacy -- it is just one of numerous settings for their discussions about rebelling against the government. So the "sex" is not really at all about sex, if you understand what I mean. :)

In contrast, 7th/8th graders could read and understand Orwell's Animal Farm with a little guidance and explanation of the political background, and there is nothing overtly brutal or graphic at all. (As an adult, you understand the undertones of when one of the animal characters disappear but that's based on understanding that repressive, dictatorial governments in real life make unwanted people "disappear". :()