Menu

Where do you buy good quality jeans?

Greta

In years past, I would get rid of a pair of jeans when I didn't like the style anymore. But the last few years, my jeans have been wearing out long before going out of style. They stretch out and get "saggy" feeling over the course of a day of wearing them - somewhat refreshed by washing but never as good as the first time I put them on. Plus, they get frayed at the hem, get holes in them where the pockets are sewn on, things like that. I'm sick of it. I want a GOOD pair of jeans, even if they're so expensive that I can't own many pairs.

Any recommendations?

Jeans from the Gap seem to hold up well.  I also have a pair from Not Your Daughter's Jeans that I just found at the thrift store (score! :D) and they seem very sturdy and well made.  Plus, they really do make my butt look awesome, and they're super comfy.  They don't seem to do that stretching/sagging thing if I wear them a couple times.

I avoid jeans from Target like the plague.  They wear out super fast in my experience, second only to newer pairs from Old Navy.  The quality of Old Navy has really gone down over the last few years, which is sad because their pants fit me really well.

Sorry to hijack, OP, but I'm curious to ask those that like LL Bean jeans, do they have a style that will fit the curvier among us?  :bigear: 

I'm always looking for good jeans that will fit me. My absolute favorite pair of Carhartt jeans, bought on the TSC clearance table, are dead. Carhartt doesn't make this particular straight leg style anymore :( .  The problem I have is that I have a size 8 waist and size 12 hips.  Most jeans give me that huge gap at the waist and it's uncomfortable.

You know, for some reason I have never shopped at an Ann Taylor, and now that I think about it I have no idea why.  I'll have to check them out. 

I also found out that there's a store at a very nearby corner that carries NYDJ, so I'll check those out as well.  Thanks!

I've bought a few other things at New York and Company, and liked them.  I'll have to try their jeans.  Their tall sizes (at least in the other pants that I bought) fit me perfectly, which is really nice.  My legs seem to be the length that is just between regular and tall -- regulars are usually too short but some company's tall sizes are way too tall.

Sorry to hijack, OP, but I'm curious to ask those that like LL Bean jeans, do they have a style that will fit the curvier among us?  :bigear:

I'm always looking for good jeans that will fit me. My absolute favorite pair of Carhartt jeans, bought on the TSC clearance table, are dead. Carhartt doesn't make this particular straight leg style anymore :( .  The problem I have is that I have a size 8 waist and size 12 hips.  Most jeans give me that huge gap at the waist and it's uncomfortable.

I heard about these jeans on the Rachael Ray show. Have not tried them, but wanted to pass on the info. You take a short "quiz" for your body shape and it takes you to the correct style. Reviews are mostly positive. They are made for curvy women. Looks like a good sale going on, buy one get one half off (not sure if it includes this style). 

http://us.levi.com/shop/index.jsp?categoryId=4370093&cp=3146849.3146880&ab=home_w_discoveryourcurve_071013

http://www.graspingforobjectivity.com/2012/07/gap.html

Has anyone seen this blog on jean comparisons? It shows how different the same person can look in different jeans.

Wow, that was very interesting!  I wish I had a jean expert to tell me what styles are best for my body type.  I think the trickiest thing for me is that, though I am slender overall, I am thick through the waist, and I do not exactly have a nice flat tummy.  On sizing charts, I'm always two or three sizes bigger in my waist than I am in my hips!  I'm a "ruler" body type for sure, no curves.  For example, the NYDJ sizing chart says that I'm a size 2 in the hips, and a size 6 in the waist.  So, what does a person do with that?  :confused:   I don't even know what size to order, much less what style.  I usually buy low-rise jeans, because they are cut wider at the waist band.  But the low-rise is not flattering for my tummy.  So . . . ?  What should I try?

Go to nordstrom. They will help you find the best jeans for your body!

You need to buy them a bit snug as they will stretch. Then never put them in the dryer. The heats ruins them causing them to bag and sag!

Thank you! 

I did not know that about the dryer!!!

ETA:  Just remembered.  We don't have a Nordstrom where I live.  :sad:  I will be in Denver later this month, though, so maybe I'll have a chance to shop then.

Oh, I don't mind the hijack at all.  Hope someone here can help you.

I have the opposite problem that you have.  I'm very jealous of those of you with feminine curves!  When you've got a body shaped like a plank of wood, it's rather hard to find clothes that make you look and feel feminine. 

Sorry to hijack, OP, but I'm curious to ask those that like LL Bean jeans, do they have a style that will fit the curvier among us? :bigear:

I'm always looking for good jeans that will fit me. My absolute favorite pair of Carhartt jeans, bought on the TSC clearance table, are dead. Carhartt doesn't make this particular straight leg style anymore :( . The problem I have is that I have a size 8 waist and size 12 hips. Most jeans give me that huge gap at the waist and it's uncomfortable.

I have hips and I like the way they fit. I can't find the bootcut jeans I have online at the moment, but I know they were the "favorite fit" style. They sit lower on my waist without looking like a wardrobe malfunction waiting to happen.

Their customer service people are ridiculously nice. I'm sure you could give them a call and they'd know what cut would work best.

Another vote for Nordstrom. I asked for GCs to Nordstrom for Christmas the last 2 years and bought Paiges after trying on a ton in store and narrowing down my options. If you have a Nordstrom Rack, they have higher end denim but you don't get the same service as you would in store. I usually just have a few ideas in mind and then try on a stack of like 20 jeans. Different fits in the same brand may require different sizes, etc. so I will take back 2 sizes (or more) in each style/brand combo.

I find higher end denim like Sevens, etc. from time to time while thrifting.

I use gap, Ann Taylor, thrifted Sevens, etc. for my day to day around the house jeans, and the nicer premium denim for going out and about.

I like Lee Jeans.  I do have a couple pair of Old Navy, but they are not holding up as well as my Lee jeans.  I used to only wear LL Bean, but they stopped carrying the style I loved.  Lee is relatively inexpensive and I've had a couple pair for over 4 years now.  Still look good and holding up well (jeans that is :))

I've really enjoyed my jag jeans pull on, very slimming at the waist since there is no button or zipper. They do run big though, order a size smaller than your normal. 6pm has good prices. http://www.6pm.com/jag-jeans-pull-on

Ooh, I like the look of that wide, flat waistband. I think that would be flattering. And thanks for letting me know about the sizing - those kinds of details are so helpful.

I agree with the Ann Taylor recommendation.  They tend to have less spandex in them so they don't stretch as much.  

I think jeans in general have more spandex in them than they used to.  Makes them comfy but they do tend to stretch out. 

I also love my jeans from White House/Black Market.  Super comfortable and they have shapes that make me look great.  Many of them do have a lot of lycra/spandex in them, but they regain their shape after drying.  

The only jeans in my closet now are from Ann Taylor and WHBM.