Menu

Still frustrated about lack of weight loss..

Stayseeliz

Okay, sorry to keep griping but I've done further testing, etc and I'm just trying to figure out what to do next. I've always dropped weight quickly once I wean which I did in December and NOTHING is happening. I'm working out 6 times a week. 3x times lifting heavy weights and 3 20 minute HIIT sessions. Extra cardio is added in as I have time. I tried low carb and lost nothing. I've been doing Body For Life with 6 small meals a deal with a good protein and carb and one cheat day a week.

I finally got in to see an endocrinologist and she said my PCOS and thyroid levels were good and considered them "controlled" with medication. She tested me for Cushings, DHEA, other hormone levels, etc. Everything came back normal.

Sooooooo, now I don't know what to do. I'm glad that nothing is "wrong" but something is "wrong", you know? I have heavy, painful cycles, I'm exhausted all the time and cry easily and I can NOT lose weight. I need to lose at least 40 lbs. Sigh.

I'm taking Armour Thyroid and Metformin. I'm thinking about looking into progesterone and vitex for the cycle issues. Is there anything I can take to have more energy and just FEEL bettter? I'm trying of feeling crappy.

I'm going over my diet with a fine tooth comb and I'm redoubling my effort to watch portion sizes. I'm also going to chug the water and try to get extra cardio in.

Anything else I'm missing?? Anything else I can do??

How many calories are you eating a day? On workout days? Maybe you're eating too few. I know that sounds counterintuitive, but given how you describe how you feel, that would be my gut reaction (http://gokaleo.com/2012/08/21/putting-the-calorie-pieces-together/).

I agree.  I think perhaps you are crashing your metabolism by too few calories  to support your activity level and body size.

I'm going to agree with others and say possibly exercising too much and eating too few calories on the days you have intense workouts. I know it doesn't make sense but your body will reserve fat/ turn what you eat into fat if you are working out too much.

I experienced close to zero weight lose when I was working out intensely 6 times per week on a low carb, low fat diet. Then when I switched it to low carb, high (good) fats, high protein and decreased my intense workouts to 2 times a week and just walk/jogged the other days I lost 40 pounds in about 6 months. Now with baby number 3 6 months old I get to do that all over again once he weans because I can't lose weight either while breast feeding.

I'm on full thyroid replacement and glucophage.  I would suggest cutting back on your heavy exercising, weights twice a week and light aerobic the rest of the time (I walk 5 miles most days while reading).  Make sure you are getting plenty of water, you loose less if dehydrated.  Here is a list.

Could your diet be impacting your daily absorption of armour?  I don't take it because of the metabolism.  Do you take it twice a day?

I would cut out the extra cardio. Two or three 20 minute Hiit sessions is okay, although many weight lifting experts would say it's still too much cardio if you are trying to gain muscle.

The endocrine system is very complex...

PCOS makes things even more so...

Are your iron and ferritin levels okay?

Because the heavy periods, I would recommend getting your progesterone levels checked.

Regarding your thyroid; Your levels might be be within normal limits, but if you are still sluggish and sleepy, then you probably need more hormone.

My thyroid levels a month ago were 1.19 ng/dl for free thyroxine and 0.750 for TSH. If these levels aren't normal I have to find some way to fix it on my own since my dr's see these numbers are "controlled". I'm on 90mg of armour thyroid.

According to this article, your TSH level is definitely off. The decimals are messing with my head, lol, but your free thyroxine looks off, as well. Have you seen an endocrinologist? If not, you might need to whine and complain to your primary care physician until you get a referral.

I spent 20 years being under-medicated for my thyroid issues. :cursing:  Don't let your doctors do that to you.

ETA: I read your original post and see that you have been to an endocrinologist. Now I don't know what to tell you. :-(

How many calories are you eating in a day?  Your workout schedule sounds just like mine (weights 3 days cardio 3 days).  I'm 5'8, wear a size 6/8 and eat 2500 - 2700 calories a day to maintain my weight.

If you don't eat enough your body is going to go into starvation mode and then your setting your self you up for long term metabolism disaster.

Make sure your eating enough high quality fats like nuts, avocados, coconut oil.  Also make sure your getting enough protein with all your snacks and meals if your desire is to increase muscle mass, which will in turn help you burn more calories. 

Also, make sure that if your trying to build muscle that your weights are heavy enough.  You should aim for 10 repetitions per exercise, with great form.  If you can do more than 10, you need to increase your weights.

Just curious how long you went low-carb. I got desperate too. I have Hashimoto's as well. I started tracking my food intake on Sparkpeople again. I have gone completely gluten-free (since my thyroid disease is autoimmune in nature). I have 15-20 pounds to lose, which may not sound like much, but I'm short, and it shows.

I also read about importance of interval running for ultimate caloric burn and weight training for thyroid patients (since our metabolisms are slower). Prior to this, I was light jogging/speed-walking for 43 minutes a day and not GF and low grain. Now, each day I interval run for 23 minutes then do a modified Jilian Michaels "No More Trouble Zones" (no lunges for me). Running is a huge feat for me, because I had to ease my way slowly into it to avoid shin splints. I do a beginner interval level.

For the last week of tracking my food, weight and exercise (food again is GF, practically no grains -- maybe a few GF crackers at night), I lost 3 pounds in one week. I'm sure it's a combo of everything, but it seems to bethe right formula for me. I have two meals a day plus a nightly snack. My first meal is after my workout, and since I sleep in, it's a late lunch for me.

I made the best beef stew last night without potatoes and lots of veggies. I made the most amazing paleo sweet potato pie the other day as a treat. Honestly, totally delicious. I don't eat bread, rice, potatoes or pasta.

I know it's frustrating, and I know it's only 3 pounds, but I've been trying for a while -- just not in the right way, I guess. I hope you find the right way for your body. That's why I share -- in case anything I say helps you.

Another thing is, I've tried to move more in a day. With my boys being older, I find myself sitting a lot. This may not be you. The busier I stay, the less I eat. If that makes sense.

Going for a bike ride now. Even a light one after dinner helps, I think.

Okay, sorry to keep griping but I've done further testing, etc and I'm just trying to figure out what to do next. I've always dropped weight quickly once I wean which I did in December and NOTHING is happening. I'm working out 6 times a week. 3x times lifting heavy weights and 3 20 minute HIIT sessions. Extra cardio is added in as I have time. I tried low carb and lost nothing. I've been doing Body For Life with 6 small meals a deal with a good protein and carb and one cheat day a week.

I finally got in to see an endocrinologist and she said my PCOS and thyroid levels were good and considered them "controlled" with medication. She tested me for Cushings, DHEA, other hormone levels, etc. Everything came back normal.

Sooooooo, now I don't know what to do. I'm glad that nothing is "wrong" but something is "wrong", you know? I have heavy, painful cycles, I'm exhausted all the time and cry easily and I can NOT lose weight. I need to lose at least 40 lbs. Sigh.

I'm taking Armour Thyroid and Metformin. I'm thinking about looking into progesterone and vitex for the cycle issues. Is there anything I can take to have more energy and just FEEL bettter? I'm trying of feeling crappy.

I'm going over my diet with a fine tooth comb and I'm redoubling my effort to watch portion sizes. I'm also going to chug the water and try to get extra cardio in.

Anything else I'm missing?? Anything else I can do??

For awhile after my younger son was weaned I was working out with a personal trainer and seeing a nutritionist. I also was stagnant in my loss/achieving my goals. Really all that was happening was I was making my man sized body man shaped. Not exactly what I had in mind. They did a test to pinpoint how many calories I was burning even without working out. It was a lot. They told me to eat more. I was skeptical. But they were totally dead on right. Pounds flew off once I stopped restricting myself to too few calories for my size. My previous 6am boot camp instructor also taught the same thing. It worked for a lot of gals in the group. It's not adding crappy calories or just eating whatever, but making sure your body stays out of starvation mode.

According to this article, your TSH level is definitely off. The decimals are messing with my head, lol, but your free thyroxine looks off, as well. Have you seen an endocrinologist? If not, you might need to whine and complain to your primary care physician until you get a referral.

I spent 20 years being under-medicated for my thyroid issues. :cursing:  Don't let your doctors do that to you.

ETA: I read your original post and see that you have been to an endocrinologist. Now I don't know what to tell you. :-(

Her TSH level is normal.  0.3-3.0 is ideal, some physicians use the old numbers 0.5-5.0.  Normal free thyroxine is 0.7-2.0. 

Her TSH level is normal.  0.3-3.0 is ideal, some physicians use the old numbers 0.5-5.0.  Normal free thyroxine is 0.7-2.0. 

Ok. The numbers always confuse me, lol. Nevertheless, my THS levels usually fall within normal range, but my T3 and T4 are off. It could be the same with the OP, yes? Is "free thyroxine" T3 or T4? Anyway, I'd be having a bunch of the low-thyroid symptoms listed on Stop the Thyroid Madness, a veritable walking model of low thyroid, and my doctors would order THS only. When it came back normal, they'd say I was over-medicated, so I'd whine and complain and they'd reluctantly order T3 and T4; sure enough, those would come back low, and my doctors would scratch their heads and give me a new prescription. My last doctor referred me to an endocrinologist, who ordered labs for everything that can be measured with bodily fluids. I *think* I'm finally seeing some of the symptoms go away, but apparently it takes a long time for  thyroid stuff to heal or whatever it does, so I'm not partying too much yet, lol.

I checked mine with Sparkpeople and one of those calculators.  To maintain, I need just over 2,000 calories a day, but to lose weight, I need 1,600.  This is factoring in daily exercise.  It stinks being short. ;)  I really don't know how people live on less than 1,600 calories. LOL

For awhile after my younger son was weaned I was working out with a personal trainer and seeing a nutritionist. I also was stagnant in my loss/achieving my goals. Really all that was happening was I was making my man sized body man shaped. Not exactly what I had in mind. They did a test to pinpoint how many calories I was burning even without working out. It was a lot. They told me to eat more. I was skeptical. But they were totally dead on right. Pounds flew off once I stopped restricting myself to too few calories for my size. My previous 6am boot camp instructor also taught the same thing. It worked for a lot of gals in the group. It's not adding crappy calories or just eating whatever, but making sure your body stays out of starvation mode.

I thought she checked estrogen and progestrone when they did the blood work but it looks like it's not in there. The paperwork I have was TSH, Free T, testosterone, DHEA, growth hormone, prolactin, FSH, LH and cortisol. I was dx with minimal endometriosis in March so I know I probably have elevated estrogen. I think I'm going to give progesterone cream a try.

Looking at my diet, I honestly don't think I'm eating too little. Between six meals I must be eating at least 2000 calories a day. I tried low carb for a month and it's worked for me in the past. But this time I felt horrible on it and lost nothing.

DH and I were talking about it today and I KNOW I need a new exercise routine. I think I'm going to try a different lifting routine and cut back on the cardio. I'm just trying ALL these things that have worked before and nothing is working, you know? There must be SOME clue here as to what should do the trick. I am thinking about going grain free. I just need to make sure I watch my portions and still do the six small meals a day.

I thought she checked estrogen and progestrone when they did the blood work but it looks like it's not in there. The paperwork I have was TSH, Free T, testosterone, DHEA, growth hormone, prolactin, FSH, LH and cortisol. I was dx with minimal endometriosis in March so I know I probably have elevated estrogen. I think I'm going to give progesterone cream a try.

But not T3 and T4? You need both of those tested.

This calculator is supposed to be better than the one at sparkpeople:

http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

It can take a long time to repair damaged metabolism. How long have you been lifting?

That would be the one I would suggest as well.  At least 2000 calories is probably not enough, especially with your workouts.    In the link to GoKaleo I gave earlier in the thread she talks about eating upwards of 2600-2800 calories a day a I'd say activity-wise she probably is on par with what you're doing.  She talks a bit more about it here (here and here).  She also talks about fatsecret.com giving more sustainable calorie suggestions, although I use MyFitnessPal and I think it's pretty in line with DarlaS' suggestion.

Really, I'm not saying that GoKaleo should be your diet guru or anything, but I suspect she might have a more sustainable and less crazy making route to go about it (she also talks about how it might take awhile and you might gain some weight at first, especially if you've been restricting calories or under-feeding yourself for your activity level - a year even - but patience and a long term perspective helps).  She's got sane, evidenced based advice with a good helping of loving your body, eating all the food, and moving.  :0)

ETA:  And CarbSanity.  I'm not saying you shouldn't do lc or that doing lc is wrong, I'm just offering an option for when that doesn't work or you're like me and going lc makes you nauseous all the time.  Oh, and don't forget GoMaleo.  (It's all very tongue-in-cheek name wise.)

I have Hashimotos thyroiditis for which I take armor twice a day.  I also gained a lot of weight when taking steroids for another autoimmune disease. Due to continuing medical problems, I get very little aerobic exercise. I kept trying Weight Watchers and never lost. I tried Atkins but it made me very ill. I ended up losing some weight, alright, but it was because I got so sick I couldn't eat anything! My sister had the same problem with not losing weight, although she doesn't have the illnesses I have. Since she can exercise, she has lost more than me but she is a normal weight now. I still have a ways to go but my weight loss is steady.

Is it possible that you have insulin resistance syndrome? This is a common cause  of not being able to lose. If you can't lose and if your weight tends to center in your tummy and trunk, you probably have it. The answer is a good amount of protein and no simple carbs.

South Beach starts you out for two weeks when you don't eat any bread or cereal products and no fruit. It also limits some veggies. Later, you can add small amounts of low glycemic fruit and small amounts of bread/cereal.

I also gain weight with wheat products, which I sadly had to give up.

South Beach teaches you to eat protein, mostly healthy fat and complex carbs (read: vegetables, not bread or fruit) at every meal. The doctor who created it believes your body uses fuel more efficiently if they are eaten together.  You also eat snacks that include protein and veggie. This not only makes it less likely that you get hungry, but it keeps the metabolism going.

You might try it. 

A good side affect is that it has made a vegetable lover out of me. YOu have to eat 4 1/2 cups raw veggies/day (that 2 1/4 cooked but they recommend doing raw as much as possible). I ended up trying vegetables I'd never tried (hash brown jicama, anyone?) and have fallen in love with spices. There are many wonderful soup recipes - alas, I live in Phoenix and soup doesn't work much of the year.

You might also try a naturopathic physician. I am generally a scientific method kind of gal; therefore, I tend to find alternative medicine suspect. Nevertheless, if nothing else works, sometimes they do find something. Be sure to get a reputable one, though. They vary a lot.

I have Hashimotos thyroiditis for which I take armor twice a day.  I also gained a lot of weight when taking steroids for another autoimmune disease. Due to continuing medical problems, I get very little aerobic exercise. I kept trying Weight Watchers and never lost. I tried Atkins but it made me very ill. I ended up losing some weight, alright, but it was because I got so sick I couldn't eat anything! My sister had the same problem with not losing weight, although she doesn't have the illnesses I have. Since she can exercise, she has lost more than me but she is a normal weight now. I still have a ways to go but my weight loss is steady.

Is it possible that you have insulin resistance syndrome? This is a common cause  of not being able to lose. If you can't lose and if your weight tends to center in your tummy and trunk, you probably have it. The answer is a good amount of protein and no simple carbs.

South Beach starts you out for two weeks when you don't eat any bread or cereal products and no fruit. It also limits some veggies. Later, you can add small amounts of low glycemic fruit and small amounts of bread/cereal.

I also gain weight with wheat products, which I sadly had to give up.

South Beach teaches you to eat protein, mostly healthy fat and complex carbs (read: vegetables, not bread or fruit) at every meal. The doctor who created it believes your body uses fuel more efficiently if they are eaten together.  You also eat snacks that include protein and veggie. This not only makes it less likely that you get hungry, but it keeps the metabolism going.

You might try it. 

A good side affect is that it has made a vegetable lover out of me. YOu have to eat 4 1/2 cups raw veggies/day (that 2 1/4 cooked but they recommend doing raw as much as possible). I ended up trying vegetables I'd never tried (hash brown jicama, anyone?) and have fallen in love with spices. There are many wonderful soup recipes - alas, I live in Phoenix and soup doesn't work much of the year.

You might also try a naturopathic physician. I am generally a scientific method kind of gal; therefore, I tend to find alternative medicine suspect. Nevertheless, if nothing else works, sometimes they do find something. Be sure to get a reputable one, though. They vary a lot.

I couldn't lose weight for almost a year last year. Low carb worked for 15 pounds but then nothing. I went on the petite advantage diet and lost 5 pounds in 2 weeks, then had a mental breakdown and quit but the weight stayed off- I started again today. I couldn't believe it worked and I hope I can see good results again. I hope you can figure it out- it sucks when we have a problem and no one to help.

• 2 weeks later...

I follow the 5:2 diet & I've lost 23 lbs since beginning 29 April.  I actually fast three days a week (MWF), but find it so-o-o-o much easier than normal calorie restriction diets.  I don't exercise, except for normal day-to-day activities.  Key points to watch for weight loss IMHO are drinking enough water, getting enough good sleep, eating enough on non-fasting days, not eating/snacking late in the evening, eating "real" foods most of the time but not cutting out any food groups entirely.  I don't eat carbs on my fasting days as I don't see them as a good way to "spend" my 500 cal., but on my non-fasting days I do enjoy the foods I have always enjoyed.  

A surprising side effect of 5:2 for me was that I have stopped losing tons of hair on a daily basis.  I was convinced that I must have Thyroid problems as I couldn't seem to lose weight, I was shedding hair by the handful (or it seemed), & I was cold all the time.  5:2 changed two of those issues, but I am still cold :-P