Menu

Moms of many school age children, what is your method to keep your students accountable?

How do you make sure they have done their work, stay on track, and actually finish what you set out to accomplish for the year?

I am schooling 6 dc.  (2 are 4th and the rest are 6th, 7th, 8th, and 10th this year)  It is a lot to keep up with. 

Do you have individual meetings with them on a daily basis?  If so, do you have a checklist they use or a student planner that you go over during that time?

I need ideas for keeping track of their work.  Also, I would love thoughts on using planners.

I have the full range of student types...the go getters, the procrastinators, and the in betweeners.  :tongue_smilie:

Thanks for your thoughts!!!!

I'm going to combine my answer to this question with your question about grading math bc they all go together in how our homeschool functions.

I write daily lesson plans for each child in 3rd grade up. I write 5-7 weeks worth of plans at a time. Our school yr functions on a 5-7 weeks on followed by 1week off. The week off is used for drs appts, major shopping/cleaning/organizing and writimg our next set of lesson plans.

During the school day, I rotate through my kids. ( or more accurately they rotate). While I work with one student, the others are working independently. With the exception of my students that are no longer taking math/science with me, my kids sit near me while they do math. For my really little kids ( which none of yours qualify as), I grade each problem as completed. For my elementary kids, I grade every few minutes when I have a break in what else I am doing. With my older kids, I tend to work through the problems at the same time as them so I know what they are doing (it is easier for me bc I don't know upper level math that well and it gives me the basis for conversation as we work through grading.....especially for proofs.)

With my older kids, some subjects I am more intensely involved than others. Some we meet and do together daily. For example, last yr I listened to/read along with an audiobook of Paradise Lost with my then 8th and 11th graders. We met daily to listen and discuss. We also did grammar, spelling, and writing discussions together at the same time. However, ds was doing a philosophy study that I designed and we met only intermittently to discuss or I would watch the Teaching Company lectures with him. It was designed more with him to think and ponder through things on his own and then come to me when he was ready to discuss vs being a discuss every day type course.

We have a no working in your bedroom policy (with the exception of my 12th grader who is highly self-regulated.). All schoolwork is done in common areas so I know exactly what they are doing all day long. They work through their planners and their days aren't over until everything is finished.

We also have a "writing system" where they write one major assignment per week. Mondays are used for gathering whatever researched materials they require and taking notes. Tues and we'd are rough draft days. Thursdays require more time from me bc Thursday I sit with them and proofread and help them revise and improve and Fridays they rewrite. (With my older kids, some writing assignments do span 2-3 weeks vs just 1). Anyway, I adjust my Thursdays accordingly and sometimes I wait and do it with my older kids at night after dh is home from work.

Does that help at all?

It does help.  Thank you so much for responding.  

Do you check their planners at the end of the day?  What kind of planner have you found works well?  

So, as they rotate through...is that like a meeting with each?  So, during that time you go over mistakes in the previous day's work plus teach any subjects that you do with that particular child?  When do you grade work?  Are you saying you do it as they finish?

Part of the difficulty for me is that I have found that for our school some of the more teacher intensive things are the things that work best. My best estimate of this upcoming year is that my school day (not theirs) will be 7 1/2 hours long.  It makes it difficult to get other things done...like the cleaning/organizing/planning you mentioned.  I am going to seriously consider a schedule like that..with 5-7 weeks followed by one week off.  Once we are schooling, there is no time in the day for those things.  I end up getting frustrated because I have a hard time keeping it all balanced.  

Do you mind if I ask how long your teaching day is? 

As you can see, I have a bunch of questions...I want this school year to be productive and I know I need to be more structured with going over their work as well as doing a planner.

I really appreciate your input.  I know you have a lot of experience with juggling a lot of dc.  

4th grade and up would have individual planners that I fill in a few weeks at a time.

I have a morning session with all the younger ones where we do recitations and mom lessons. Then I go over their plans and send them to finish what needs done in the planner, while I work with littles (which you won't need to worry about. ;) )

After lunch, I have a session with my high schoolers. Same drill as above. I go over stuff with all of them that necessary, such as religion. Then I cover their planners with them individually. Often I don't do both on the same day with my olders. I might have a discussion about religion one day and cover 1 students planner with him. The next day I might cover 2 boys planners and not give a lesson. The third day I might have a lesson and ask to see progress or for questions about work. The older they get the more I'm TRYING to be hands off on the day to say and more of a touch stone.

I do not have a planner but do have a grade sheet/checklist for the entire year for each subject that requires one (History, Literature, Writing, Science, etc.). If I don't plan the entire year then once we hit the point where the planning stopped, we get behind.

We all work at the table together and usually on the same subjects. For example everyone does spelling at the same time so I can check their work immediately. In fact all work is checked as soon as it is finished which really keeps us on track and identifying problem areas as soon as they arise.

The only dc I meet individually with are my high schoolers. My middles and littles are doing pretty much the same work as far as history and science go, so for those subjects we are all together which keeps things streamlined and easy.

I balance teacher-intensive subjects with less teacher-intensive subjects. I will do math with my middle schoolers while my "littles" work on handwriting or their Pathways books. Then we switch - middle schoolers work independently while I do math with my "littles". I keep the last block of time in the day open for my high schoolers; this is when we do Speech, Literature, etc. while my other dc work on something independently (piano/homework).

It's a balancing act, that's for sure, but once you find the right rhythm things will (hopefully) fall into place.

If you want I can send you a copy of the schedule we keep. It might not work for you but it would give you an idea of how we make it all "fit". :)

It does help.  Thank you so much for responding.  

Do you check their planners at the end of the day?  What kind of planner have you found works well?  

So, as they rotate through...is that like a meeting with each?  So, during that time you go over mistakes in the previous day's work plus teach any subjects that you do with that particular child?  When do you grade work?  Are you saying you do it as they finish?

Part of the difficulty for me is that I have found that for our school some of the more teacher intensive things are the things that work best. My best estimate of this upcoming year is that my school day (not theirs) will be 7 1/2 hours long.  It makes it difficult to get other things done...like the cleaning/organizing/planning you mentioned.  I am going to seriously consider a schedule like that..with 5-7 weeks followed by one week off.  Once we are schooling, there is no time in the day for those things.  I end up getting frustrated because I have a hard time keeping it all balanced.  

Do you mind if I ask how long your teaching day is? 

As you can see, I have a bunch of questions...I want this school year to be productive and I know I need to be more structured with going over their work as well as doing a planner.

I really appreciate your input.  I know you have a lot of experience with juggling a lot of dc.  

This is the layout I like for a planner.   This is the only type of planner I have ever been happy with.  http://www.pflaum.com/preview3/planner13/intermediate.pdf

I don't go through their planners at the end of the day.   I also don't have a lot of additional grading to do.    My kids don't do worksheet type assignments.   They outline their reading or take notes.   We do lots of oral discussion.   Writing assignments via reports/essays are a large part of their workload.    FWIW, I enjoy teaching, so most of the things we do require me.   My days are long.   We typically start as early as 5-6 am and I might still be doing something late afternoon.   But, I am not "on" all that time.   I have time to read the forum or read to my 3 yr old or make a cup of tea, etc.   Not huge amts of time, but enough to rejuvenate.

FWIW, finding a routine is vital for survival.   Over the yrs the things that have benefited my sanity the most are to throw a load of laundry in as soon as I wake up.   I cook in my crock pot a lot.   I cook in bulk so that filling leftovers are lunch.   I also make a filling breakfast.   We don't do snacks during the school day.   I fold laundry while watching TC lectures or while calling out spelling, etc.   It is so routine here that I don't really have to think about it any more.   Our days flow and thinks don't become chaotic.   I remember the days that they did.     There was a discussion I had way back about pegging our days and that was the best revelation for me ever.   Pegging is not scheduling.   Scheduling has never worked for me b/c things are too unpredictable.....how long a discussion/assignment is going to take, when is the toddler going to need to go potty, etc.   Pegging is connecting things that must be done to other things that are done daily.   Getting out of bed is done daily.   I need to keep up with laundry daily.   So throwing in a load when I get up is a peg.   It really works in keeping me organized.

HTH

I'm afraid to even try to answer this question because I rarely feel very organized.  I definitely did a better job of being organized when I had all 6 at home.  We do have a morning time routine where I read aloud from the Bible, a poetry book, and a fiction book (the fiction book rotates daily).  We also use the time when everyone is just getting up to watch a history or science show on Netflix or Amazon streaming.  I do use planners with each child.  I write out planners on Saturday or Sunday, and try to account for whatever else is on our schedule for the week, though I do try to schedule most appointments after lunch if possible.

I have struggled the last couple of years as my rising senior is a challenging child in every way, and my youngest is quite dyslexic, so he presents another sort of challenge.

I try to make sure everyone except my rising senior has their math done before lunch. (They usually rotate through with me. so they don't end up doing 25 problems incorrectly.)  I do math with my rising senior right after lunch.  In his case, I have not been as good at checking his planner on a daily basis especially for reading assignments, but I did get good at checking or scheduling discussions for Friday mornings....no weekend plans if he didn't get his work done.

As far as scheduling goes, we do not keep to a strict time schedule, but do try to have a consistent routine, so that the work consistently gets done.

Hope this helps a little.  I will be reading this thread too. :)

I have 4 I'm formally schooling and a 5th who is starting phonics. My 5th grader and I will sit down each day to touch base, and we'll sit down together on Fridays to review the week and plan the next week. He has his own planner he'll fill out during our Friday meetings. My 8th and 10th graders will both sit down with me at the same time each day. We'll cover a couple of subjects and touch base on others. Again, on Fridays I'll ensure we've reviewed the week and plan the next week. My 11th grader and I will touch base twice a week. I also have a file set up for the kids to turn in finished work. Generally I expect work to be turned in on Friday. That gives me the weekend to grade and hand work back on Monday.

We all use planners or assignment sheets. I give weekly assignments, and the children plan their week themselves. As long as all assigned work is turned in by Friday, I really don't care when they do the work. My planner includes notes on what I need to do to prep for the week, and what assignments I need to ensure are turned in by Friday, as well as what I want to touch base on during our meeting times.

Good luck!

I only have 2 but they're both middle school (this year 6th and 7th).

I print out a weekly schedule and they highlight as they complete stuff. That way it's easy for me to check at a glance. It also holds me accountable to a good schedule because I rarely add "pop up" assignments ("Oh yeah, and write that history summary!"). They know when the list is done - they're done

They're also supposed to turn in anything that needs grading to me - math, LA, etc. daiy, though usually I grade a couple times a week. I'm just bad about it. If its something I know they need accountability on then I check every day (trending math issue, etc.).

I only have 4, and only schooling 3. This year, we need more organizational structure. 

I made my first lesson planner. I check things off as I finish/check with each kid. 

I am making checklists for my kids. the same ones we use for their chores. I place a free printable sheet in a cheap picture frame. Sharpie their name and assignments on the glass. Hang it on the wall. THey use dry erase markers to mark off what they finish. 

They each have another framed printable with their weekly schedule. It tells them which subjects to work on each day. 

I love the idea of highlighting as they complete each item.  I love to highlight!  LOL.  

I've always wanted to hang things like schedules on the wall, but where do you hang this stuff?  I feel like I don't really have a good place to hang things like that.  

I love the idea of highlighting as they complete each item.  I love to highlight!  LOL.  

I've always wanted to hang things like schedules on the wall, but where do you hang this stuff?  I feel like I don't really have a good place to hang things like that.  

Our school room is a shoe box-shaped formal dining room. 2 long walls, one short wall, one with windows. I have all the organizational stuff on one long wall, and their art work display on the other. Low bookcases under the window, tall cabinets on the short wall. 

Do you have unused space? In a corner, behind a door, above a bookshelf? If your floor plan is very open, you might to look a bit harder. Mine is very closed, lots of walls and doors. I have a ton of nooks and crannies and blank space. If you don't have a lot of space, you can manufacture some with an easel or sandwich board- type sign. 

I love the idea of highlighting as they complete each item. I love to highlight! LOL.

I've always wanted to hang things like schedules on the wall, but where do you hang this stuff? I feel like I don't really have a good place to hang things like that.

We keep them in an 3 ring binder. They are in the front. The rest is divided and had writing, LA light unit, Reading light unit, scratch paper, etc.

How do you make sure they have done their work, stay on track, and actually finish what you set out to accomplish for the year?

I am schooling 6 dc.  (2 are 4th and the rest are 6th, 7th, 8th, and 10th this year)  It is a lot to keep up with. 

Do you have individual meetings with them on a daily basis?  If so, do you have a checklist they use or a student planner that you go over during that time?

I need ideas for keeping track of their work.  Also, I would love thoughts on using planners.

I have the full range of student types...the go getters, the procrastinators, and the in betweeners.  :tongue_smilie:

Thanks for your thoughts!!!!

I am schooling seven this year.  We have a 12th, 9th, 6th, 5th, 3rd, 1st, and K this year.

My K-3 we just do the next thing.   I bound all of their pages/work in a book and we'll work through one of those every quarter.  It will keep us on track with all the basics.

My 5th and 6th graders are working together this year.  They have three things to help them be more independent and stay on task:

Lesson plans to direct and keep on task.

An assignment sheet.

The assignment sheet has a checklist of each daily subject that must be checked as they complete it.

Below each day's checklist, they have blank spaces to write in specifically what they covered.

The assignment sheets are in a bound book.  The bound book has any workbook type things:  WWE copywork and narrative sheets, math, handwriting, history or science worksheets, Fix-It grammar, BibleScribe, Catechism work.  We have a separate book with Latin work and IEW Ancients Writing student books.

My 9th grader:

Lesson plans we do in HST+

Weekly assignment sheets just like the girls' above that he is accountable to check and fill in with work completed each day.

Track his grades in HST.

My 12th grader:

She is my biggest type A so we have goals, classes planned.  She has one outside class, and music lessons.  She'll have a planner, a calendar, and HST plans and tracks her grades using it as well for transcripts.

We have a "routine board."  I'm hoping by utilizing the board this year we'll be able to visually see what we're actually accomplishing each day.  This involves taking off the task tabs and placing them on, in order, as each task is completed.  At the end of the day it's easy to see what you have left in your hand and what made it on the board.  We usually make a routine and stick the color coded sheet on the fridge or in my binder, but I wanted something more... manual.  This way the kids can feel free to do things in order they prefer, but the accountability is still present.

IMG_20130717_095735_177_zps5037a7c4.jpg

You'll notice no time slots on my board, btw.  Like 8filltheheart, I don't do a "schedule" anymore.  That was the quick way to burnout and crazy.  It made me a whole lot more Martha and a lot less Mary and I already struggle with that.  We have "pegs" - I wake with DH, kids up around 7:00, lunch in time for an approximate 1:00PM naptime, always up by 4:00.  Bedtime and prayers start at 8:00 pm, and lights out for all peoples (tall and short) by 10:00.  Routines help, schedules can make you crazy. ;)

I've also learned we function better in our house four days a week.  Let Fridays be for running errands, or the weekends.  Next year I'll try another tip I heard and that is all physicals, dental and optometry appts., etc should be scheduled during the summer.  Genius.

Kitchen... Assignments are posted on the kitchen door, maps on the cabinets, and the schedule on the basement door or fridge. I tried posting a timeline on the basement door last year, but the little ones (then just turned 3 and 22 months) destroyed it. Actually with teenage boys, perhaps I should post the assignments on the fridge. They'd see it every time they went hunting for food! :lol:

See, the thing is...I think I would like a routine vs. a schedule. The schedule never really works anyway because I feel like the clock runs my life and we always run over the allotted time. But, I'm afraid we won't get to everything if I do it that way.  For example, we have one computer with internet.  I have 5 dc that use it for a couple of different things during the day...so that necessitates a schedule so that we can know what happens when or we will have arguments over whose turn it is...trust me. Also, I have classes that I teach to several at a time so we need a time to meet for that.  The children also do some DVD classes so we need to know who will be on which TV or computer for that. 

So, to make up a routine, you just put things in the order you want to accomplish them rather than by time slots? How would I work out the above details?

Thanks so much!

See, the thing is...I think I would like a routine vs. a schedule. The schedule never really works anyway because I feel like the clock runs my life and we always run over the allotted time. But, I'm afraid we won't get to everything if I do it that way.  For example, we have one computer with internet.  I have 5 dc that use it for a couple of different things during the day...so that necessitates a schedule so that we can know what happens when or we will have arguments over whose turn it is...trust me. Also, I have classes that I teach to several at a time so we need a time to meet for that.  The children also do some DVD classes so we need to know who will be on which TV or computer for that. 

So, to make up a routine, you just put things in the order you want to accomplish them rather than by time slots? How would I work out the above details?

Thanks so much!

I alternate between schedule and routine. We get up, have breakfast, and do the morning chores on routine. School begins at 9:00, and we work off a schedule for the next 2 1/2 hours. This is the time I'm rotating between sit-down times with children, while the children rotate through who's watching the 2yo. It has to be on a schedule or chaos ensues. Lunch is at 11:30, then quiet time. The afternoon runs on routine until dinner. I need dinner to be a hard and fast time so everyone can plan their afternoon or outings. Chores are after dinner. Bedtime is also a peg because we need to be in bed on time.

I can keep a schedule for a short time period, but I've found trying to follow one for the entire day is exhausting. Only items that HAVE to be on schedule are scheduled. Everything else is routine.  That's actually my suggestion. Schedule what must be scheduled for sanity's sake, but run everything else off routine and ball-park times.

Now that sounds doable to me.  And that is actually what ends up happening despite the beautiful every minute planned out schedule I produce every year.  We school by schedule, but after school is over it all falls apart and we don't end up following it.  Exhausting is a good word for how following a schedule all day makes me feel as well.  Prisoner comes to mind also.  :lol:

See, the thing is...I think I would like a routine vs. a schedule. The schedule never really works anyway because I feel like the clock runs my life and we always run over the allotted time. But, I'm afraid we won't get to everything if I do it that way. For example, we have one computer with internet. I have 5 dc that use it for a couple of different things during the day...so that necessitates a schedule so that we can know what happens when or we will have arguments over whose turn it is...trust me. Also, I have classes that I teach to several at a time so we need a time to meet for that. The children also do some DVD classes so we need to know who will be on which TV or computer for that.

Thanks so much!

For us it would be a routine of order vs. time on a clock. For example, who I work w/when could be a simple sequence......start w/A, A then moves to completing math beside me while I work with B. I might cycle back to A bc older kids are still reading independently or doing the DVD/computer stuff you have listed. So while am back to working with A, B is sitting beside me working on an assignment. A moves back to working on something beside me and B and I go over what they were working on and I work with B some more.

By this time, A and B (bc you have no little) are ready to go and do some reading the DVD/computer stuff and I work with C. And so the rotation goes all day long.

In our house, I try to finish with littles early and they go and play w/thenob-school age kids.

I am trying to picture this because it is different from how we do it.  When I teach, it is one on one with no one else around up in the school room.

Is it hard for your dc to concentrate when they are completing work while you are teaching someone else in the same room?

So, would you have an order for the computer also?  Just wondering if they might end up needing it at the same time.

Forgive me...I have been doing things the same way for so long, I just have a hard time thinking out of the box.

I just don't want it to feel chaotic.  

I am trying to picture this because it is different from how we do it.  When I teach, it is one on one with no one else around up in the school room.

Is it hard for your dc to concentrate when they are completing work while you are teaching someone else in the same room?

So, would you have an order for the computer also?  Just wondering if they might end up needing it at the same time.

Forgive me...I have been doing things the same way for so long, I just have a hard time thinking out of the box.

I just don't want it to feel chaotic.  

I am always physically present where my kids are working with the only exception of a couple of my kids.   We have a no-bedroom for school work policy with the exception of my 12th grader (he is taking upper level university classes and is completely self-monitoring/motivated) and my 9th grader is allowed to read lit in her room.   Other than that, we are all out in the main level of the house.

It doesn't seem at all chaotic to me.    Keeping myself isolated in a school room while the other kids are in the other parts of the house......1-would drive me crazy, 2-would lend itself to chaos out in the rest of the house, 3-make me feel unavailable to my other kids that might need my help, 4- would have some of my kids daydreaming.

FWIW, I would definitely have a routine set up for a sequence for the computer.   But, routine is the only way we survive.

I guess it is all a matter of what you are used to.  What you are describing sounds foreign to me and what I am describing sounds the same way to you.  My situation is not chaotic either.  Everyone is busy doing their work for the most part.  There is an occasional issue that I have to settle, but they are pretty much used to it. (I don't have a little one at this point so I am not worried that they are getting into something)

However, I am always open to ways to improve and make changes that could help. I'm going to pray on it and see how if this is a change I need to implement.

Thanks for sharing your routine with me.  :)

I guess it is all a matter of what you are used to. What you are describing sounds foreign to me and what I am describing sounds the same way to you. My situation is not chaotic either. Everyone is busy doing their work for the most part. There is an occasional issue that I have to settle, but they are pretty much used to it. (I don't have a little one at this point so I am not worried that they are getting into something)

However, I am always open to ways to improve and make changes that could help. I'm going to pray on it and see how if this is a change I need to implement.

Thanks for sharing your routine with me. :)

Yes, it does sound foreign to me. :) You need to approach it in the way that works for you. Don't think I am criticizing your approach bc I am not. I just know that w/my personality and the amt of stuff I need to get done every day, it simply wouldn't work here.

I have to get other things done during the day in addition to schoolwork....not to mention that I would literally feel claustrophobic if I felt obligated to stay in the same room all day long.

While I do tend to sit with them while working with them on certain subjects, I do multi-task while doing others. For example, I can quite easily make lunch or dinner while having a discussion with one of my older kids or fold laundry while watching a DVD lecture with them or calling out spelling words, etc. I guess from my perspective I need to make homeschooling fit multiple roles and make it a lifestyle vs being the teacher in a room.

I'm not offended or anything...we just have different personalities.  To me, that school room is wonderful!  It is peaceful and allows me to really concentrate.  I don't do well with a lot going on at one time.  Funny that the Lord has blessed me with 7 children and 2 grandchildren!!!  So, I have grown a lot in that area, but when I really need to think, I need quiet.  I was that way in college too.  

I thank you for sharing the way you do things.  I took some notes on your post and will refer to them when thinking of how to organize our day.  It was very helpful to see things in a different way.  I will glean from it what will work for our family.

Over the years I have read quite a few of your posts and respect you greatly as a teacher.  I am sure you are inspirational for your children and I think that is wonderful!

Blessings to you,

Becky

• 4 weeks later...

Angelbee- did you have your babies? I haven't been on here to see an update?

I am schooling six this year and I am using Homeschool Planet. We start tomorrow and I have everyone's first week printed off and on their clipboard in checklist form.

I am using a combination of checklist accountability/work correction and meeting times.

-Rebecca

Hey everyone.  I just wanted to update about how our year is going.  All I can say is I stand in awe of the Lord.  He has been so faithful to help me as I have cried out to Him with a sincere, heartfelt desire for change.  Discipline is something that I have desired for so long.  It doesn't come naturally to me, though.  That is how I know that for all these changes to come together and actually work...it is the evidence of the Master's work in my life!!!!  (Not to say that I have arrived or anything...I am a work in progress!)

This summer I planned out (in His strength) every. single. class. for the entire year...39 classes!  So I have the master planner that some wonderfully wise mom told me about.  (Thank you!!!!  I can't remember who it was!)  I made planners for each child and copy the plans from the master planner each week in an effort to keep us on track.  I love this method!!!

Also, He has been helping me to get up early each day and stay on track during the day with my MOTH schedule.  

I am so very thankful to all you ladies for your input. 

God is so very good...all the time!

Blessings,

Becky

• 2 weeks later...