Menu

portfolio was not approved!

I don't know about your state, but where we live, the kids have to take tests in Physical Education at the public and private schools. I thought this was odd and talked to some of my friends who have kids in public and private schools. They said that this is a requirement. The tests are on rules for various types of sports and all. It's all hogwash if you ask me. I think the act of doing sports (your son taking simming and karate) is much more important than him knowing the rules of all the different sports (If I remember correctly, my friend said that they had to know the rules for baseball, football, hockey, soccer, basketball, and volleyball). She said that her daughter, who isn't good at sports, got a better grade in PE than her son, who is very athletic, because she tested better on the rules. It caused a bit of drama in their house.

I'm sorry you're going through this.

Wow! That is nuts and very short-sighted of them. There is so much more to physical education than sports.

There have been a few things where I have said, we do "blank". And they have said, do you have any thing to show for that? And I say, no, so they don't mark it. Obviously, this is for "extras", like typing.

You need to have some form of evidence of the work. Pictures are accepted evidence. If I did not provide pictures of DS playing sports, they would mark us as not doing PE.

Even if they don't mark it, I don't think they can reject a plan on lack of evidence. It is invalidating to not have things marked, but giving them proof...I don't know. It doesn't sit right with me. With all the mess I dealt with, I was never basically called a liar.

Each parent has to do what makes them safe and comfortable, but I just wouldn't be able to hand over receipts, signatures and photographs, unless I was feeling truly unsafe. I find it insulting to be asked for such things.

There were things I was told were required. I did some fancy wording that covered me, but did not meet their requirements and they let it go, because it was on them to prove I was not providing an equal education. For example, they wanted a time I was going to teach each subject; I only told them how many hours a year I would teach each subject.

I'm on my tablet so I can't link specifics but what I turn in is a copy ( I keep the originals of everything) of my eval letter, a list with 180 dates (from donnayoung.org), a checklist of subjects done in a day (also from donnayoung, I use checklist 1 I think it is), a list of books read, and about 9 sample pages for each subject we did... 3 from the beginning, 3 from the middle and 3 from the end of the year, this is what my evaluator reccomends to fend off the busy bodies at the district. I also type up a few paragraphs that give an overview of our year for things that aren't easy to show.

example:

This year Rylee participated in a bowling event with Girl Scouts. She also spent many hours riding her bike and jumping on the trampoline. She completed a 4 mile hike in Gettysburg as well as many nature hikes through the State Gamelands that border our home.

That's what I do as well, especially for things like music or PE which might not have obvious papers. I turn in 3-5 samples of work per subject, preferably from various times in the year, and in some cases, a photograph serves as part of the samples, like for PE or art. I also turn in a list of any paper materials that we've cracked open even once to use, just the titles, no authors or anything, and I turn in a calendar with days checked off on it.

I know! And how about we need to teach spelling and reading but never any grammar? And we have to teach physiology. Why physiology specifically? It's all so bizarre.

Anyone heard any more news about the law changing so that school districts don't need to review the portfolio anymore

This is a real sore spot for me. PA requires us to pay a homeschool evaluator to comprehensively review our year's work, talk to our child, talk to us, look at extensive work samples, then certify that an "appropriate education" has occurred. Then we submit a portfolio, with minimal work samples, and the principal of our local school district really thinks that he/she can conclude anything meaningful about our year? I call BS and I grit my teeth and go through it each year.

Our new superintendent even came up with a detailed checklist that the principal must fill out when reviewing our portfolio. Last year our high school principal determined, based on a few work samples in each subject, that there wasn't sufficient evidence to determine that progress was made in math, Latin, composition, or science. What???? How the heck can you even begin to determine that based on the minimal samples I submitted? And there is no way in heck I am going to provide more than the law requires just so I can make some principal happy, who probably is biased against homeschoolers to begin with and will never think we do enough.

I continue to submit the bare minimum and nothing more. If necessary I will remind them of the Pa homeschooling law and remind them that an approved evaluator had access to much more than what I provided the school district via a portfolio and has determined that an appropriate education has occurred, and that opinion should be enough.

Beck

Last year our high school principal determined, based on a few work samples in each subject, that there wasn't sufficient evidence to determine that progress was made in math, Latin, composition, or science.

This confuses me. I thought the superintendent was the only person allowed to review the portfolio. Anyone else who views it must have permission from me, the supervisor of the homeschool program.  Is this not correct?

This confuses me. I thought the superintendent was the only person allowed to review the portfolio. Anyone else who views it must have permission from me, the supervisor of the homeschool program. Is this not correct?

When I called about my issue, I was told that 4 elementary principals and one other big titled person reviewed the portfolios. The superintendent was not on that list of reviewers.

I think mine was flagged because there were no "samples". I did indicate in my log the 2 health books we used and the various activities Doodle participated in last year. I had no samples for music, just the book we used listed in the log, and that was not flagged.

That's what I do as well, especially for things like music or PE which might not have obvious papers. I turn in 3-5 samples of work per subject, preferably from various times in the year, and in some cases, a photograph serves as part of the samples, like for PE or art. I also turn in a list of any paper materials that we've cracked open even once to use, just the titles, no authors or anything, and I turn in a calendar with days checked off on it.

I have read various places about people turning in 3-5 samples. I tried to do that, but some of our subjects did not lend themselves to a paper trail. I believe that's why I was flagged. I had no samples for some subjects. But, in reading the law, samples for each subject is not required, so in doing that, more is being given than is legally asked for.

This confuses me. I thought the superintendent was the only person allowed to review the portfolio. Anyone else who views it must have permission from me, the supervisor of the homeschool program. Is this not correct?

I just skimmed the law again; it does seem to indicate that the superintendent is the one who is supposed to review the portfolios. In our district, it's the assistant superintendent who reviews porfolios and handles the homeschoolers, but they're friendly toward us, so I will let that one slide, as I think a jump from super to assistant super is reasonable, but a high school principal? I'd be appealing that one.

How many districts really want to go to the trouble of taking the local homeschoolers to court? I know ours is already strapped for cash and having to justify budget increases. Wish they'd all keep that in mind.

Due to "lack of evidence in the areas of physical education and health". :sad:

I guess I will need to make sure we do an occasional worksheet this year so that I have some "evidence". We read through a Health text which was indicated in my portfolio, but I did not have Doodle do worksheets or tests. How does one provide evidence of physical education? I printed off pictures of him swimming. He was in karate until last December, but I have no "evidence" of that since he did not have any belt tests in that time frame. My portfolio indicated that he was taking karate twice a week.

I feel so defeated right now...

Ahhhh....  homeschooling in PA.... 

did you get the actual certified letter?  copying from Ask Pauline:

If the superintendent determines that your portfolio and written evaluation do not demonstrate appropriate education, he can send a letter specifying what aspect of the documentation is inadequate and asking for additional documentation.

He must return all of the documentation (your portfolio and written evaluation).

(i) If the superintendent of the public school district determines, based on the documentation provided, at the end of or during the school year, that appropriate education is not taking place for the child in the home education program, the superintendent shall send a letter by certified mail, return receipt requested, to the supervisor of the home education program stating that in his opinion appropriate education is not taking place for the child in the home education program and shall return all documentation, specifying what aspect or aspects of the documentation are inadequate.

In that case, you have 20 days to submit additional documentation.

[j) Upon receipt of the certified letter required by subsection (i), the supervisor of the home education program shall have twenty (20) days to submit additional documentation demonstrating that appropriate education is taking place for the child in the home education program.

The PA law says what we have to teach, but NOT when, how, how often, how much, or how long. It is NOT required to have tests, worksheets, papers, or even grades in any subject.

What the PA Home Education Law says about Required Subjects:

Elementary school – Grades 1-6

"At the elementary school level, the following courses shall be taught: English, to include spelling, reading and writing; arithmetic; science; geography; history of the United States and Pennsylvania; civics; safety education, including regular and continuous instruction in the dangers and prevention of fires; health and physiology; physical education; music; and art."

Secondary school – Grades 7-12

"At the secondary school level, the following courses shall be taught: English, to include language, literature, speech and composition; science; geography; social studies, to include civics, world history, history of the United States and Pennsylvania; mathematics, to include general mathematics, algebra and geometry; art; music; physical education; health; and safety education, including regular and continuous instruction in the dangers and prevention of fires.  Such courses of study may include, at the discretion of the supervisor of the home education program, economics; biology; chemistry; foreign languages; trigonometry; or other age-appropriate courses as contained in Chapter 5 (Curriculum Requirements) of the State Board of Education."

Someone said you only have to teach health/PE in grades 1-6.  Not true- it is also listed in the secondary required subjects.

Anyway, to follow the law, you can teach PE & Health for 1 minute each just once in grade 6 and under, and once in grades 7-12. You can also make it a full-hour daily class for every single year.  Both fulfill the law, and most people fall somewhere in the middle. You don't have to do organized activities, you don't have to do group activities, and you don't have to do what the local schools do.

As far as documenting classes/activities:  PLEASE use caution in providing photographs.  I have never givien a photograph clearly showing my child- and when co-op teachers include my child's picture on their class certificates I put a smiley sticker over their face before I photocopy it.

For PE I have turned in the class schedule for the dance studio with their classes highlighted, and email invitation to homeschool babseball, the postcard to register for Kids Bowl Free, the flyer from the Karate studio. Never detailed daily schedules or proof of enrollment/payment.

Health?  Well, that's really part of our daily living- no formal curriculum.  I write a paragraph or a few sentences on notebook paper stating that. Any books related to Health & PE are listed in their reading log- and I only list materials by title.

Good luck to you- keep us posted on how this turns out.  Most of the time, it;s simply a matter of the school district not knowing the law, mis-interpreting or mis-applying the law, and just plain being unfamiliar with how most homeschools work- remember- they're used to large-group management. :grouphug:

...As far as documenting classes/activities:  PLEASE use caution in providing photographs.  I have never givien a photograph clearly showing my child- and when co-op teachers include my child's picture on their class certificates I put a smiley sticker over their face before I photocopy it...

For those who are strongly opposed to photos, why?

For those who are strongly opposed to photos, why?

mainly, it is none of their business what my child looks like.  Why open the door to investigations because someone thinks my child  is too thin, to fat, too musular, too busty, too young-looking to be in 7th grade, or that I am an unfit parent because I didn;t notice the pile of nasty dirty dishes in the background of the pic?

Secondly, it is irrelevant.  There is almost never a need to use photos of the child- aside from what they actually look like, ANYTHING can be documented in a zillion other ways. I often show photos to our evaluator, but she is a life-long family friend and my kids enjoy "showing off" to her. But the pics don't go to the school district.

Also, even though only the school district superintendent is supposed to review the portfolios, in many schools that job is delegated- to who knows who!  And how many people have access to the portfolio and all the personal information? So then there is a photo AND your child's address?  Not for me.  It's also a privacy issue.

And just this week, a trusted friend knocked on my door with my portfolio.  It had been mailed to the wrong address- which happened to be of a friend of hers.  So my personal info WAS OK, it was returned sealed- but what if it had gone to someone who didn't have any connection to me? It also had my oldest's social security number, becasue the school district sent the financial aid paper back to me instead of mailing it to the state capitol liek the paper instructed.  So if I had photos, and it got in the wrong hands doue to a careless mistake on the school's part, it would have been very easy to do an identity theft on my daughter with her SS# & photo.

Mine. :) I guess it's about $70.

Not that I'm looking for money (though, incidentally, my private evaluator's fee for my 2 reporting children came to $70, lol) but how is this working? And why would forms go to the capitol? I haven't heard a peep about this anywhere in PA before!

You're welcome! I just printed out the whole book and I really like it :) It is 15 short lessons, but I am going to stretch each lesson to two weeks by adding in trips to the grocery store (reading labels, how to select produce, etc.) and making sure he can identify all the different foods, plus cooking instruction.

We have a CSA share and one week, out of curiosity, I held stuff up and asked him what they were. He thought beets were radishes and had no idea what the radishes were! I was shocked b/c I'm such a foodie, my kid should know this stuff, you know?

I know, you'd think my girls had never seen a vegetable, when in reality they have broccoli growing out of their ears! The level of obliviousness is amazing! We were talking about "leafy dark green vegetables" the other day, and Sa came up with, "Celery?"

Me: Leafy, leeeeeeeeeeafy.

Ha: Cucumber?

Me: Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeafy. The part you eat is the leaf?

Ma: I know! I know! Green beans.

Me: :svengo:

I'm buying the course. It's time to get more intentional about our produce identification. :laugh:

Not that I'm looking for money (though, incidentally, my private evaluator's fee for my 2 reporting children came to $70, lol) but how is this working? And why would forms go to the capitol? I haven't heard a peep about this anywhere in PA before!

The form was for my recent high school graduate to be eligible for state grant money for college.  It was supposed to be mailed to the state capitol, not returned with my portfolio.  If they actually READ what they signed they would have sent it to the correct place.

And FYI, there is a group that does evaluations for free as a ministry.  I have never paid for an evaluation.

Ooo, sorry. I was way too literal in my response. It's in my district, but I'm not actually in PA, either!

I did teach physical EDUCATION. I'm not against that. I do think a physically challenged child should have the opportunity to demonstrate knowledge of rules, and be validated by having a grade equal to child who is physically gifted, but doesn't know the game rules.

Physical EDUCATION is actually MUCH easier for low income families to teach, than it is for them to enroll their students in outside sports.

As I wrote earlier in the thread, I chose a sport each month, and provided a well rounded and balanced assortment of activities to teach it, almost to the point of a full unit study.

I guess if I was evaluating, I would be prejudiced to expect the same type of full program I provided, and maybe that would be wrong. I don't know. I took PE pretty seriously, and thought of it as something DIFFERENT than being enrolled in a single sport.

It sounds like you have a plan to get this resolved.

We just did our first port, and I just write a short summary of PE like "DS bicycles several times a week, engages in walks with the family, plays tag with friends, and participates in X sport."

For fire safety we do a stupid worksheet where he draws a picture of staying low under smoke. He decided to write the formula for finding the volume of a cylinder on the stick figure's wall to make it more intellectually challenging :p

I think we did one other stupid fill in the blank worksheet.

For health we included a worksheet on the physics of seatbelt safety. I also copied it and put it in the science section. That was from Evan Moore, IIRC. I also include a short summary about how we teach personal hygiene, handwashing, infection control, the basics of disease transmission, the importance of physical activity for physical and emotional health, etc. etc. The summaries are just 2-4 sentences and that's it.

PA can be a real joy, huh? It gets old having to stand up to districts even when you know you are complying with the law. Yet they keep trying to pile more and more on us due to their own poor understanding of the already ridiculous law.

I know, you'd think my girls had never seen a vegetable, when in reality they have broccoli growing out of their ears! The level of obliviousness is amazing! We were talking about "leafy dark green vegetables" the other day, and Sa came up with, "Celery?"

Me: Leafy, leeeeeeeeeeafy.

Ha: Cucumber?

Me: Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeafy. The part you eat is the leaf?

Ma: I know! I know! Green beans.

Me: :svengo:

I'm buying the course. It's time to get more intentional about our produce identification. :laugh:

Gosh. I know what that is like. I remember once one of my kids honesty thought he never heard of tomatoes before.

Me: You know the thing YOU planted in the back yard. You picked and ate several times during the summer, and the thing you are eating right now!!!!

Him: Oh, ... You mean tomatoe. I thought you meant you know a tomatoe.

Me: ?????

Well I feel really lucky!  I live in PA and our district asks us NOT to even send portfolios in (although it is the law) because there are so many homeschoolers they get too many portfolios to review.  They ask only for the evaluators letter confirming that the portfolio met the evaluators review.

Well I feel really lucky!  I live in PA and our district asks us NOT to even send portfolios in (although it is the law) because there are so many homeschoolers they get too many portfolios to review.  They ask only for the evaluators letter confirming that the portfolio met the evaluators review.

This really is the way it should be. Since an evaluator has to meet certain criteria set by the state, the letter should be enough to prove that an adequate education is occurring.

Op, is there any update?

I don't know the status of the portfolio yet. I was told I would either get a call if there was still a problem or receive an acceptance letter if it was approved. As of today, I have had neither a call nor a letter.

I have an update...FINALLY!  And it is odd...

My "not approved" letter was dated July 15th. I received it on July 17th, the same day I started this thread.  I called the school district the next day, on July 18th. Today I finally received an acceptance letter. What is odd is that it is dated July 17th! The day I received the "not approved", before I called to inquire. I just don't get it. They obviously don't either. My acceptance letter informs me that if I want to homeschool this year, I need to submit my affidavit in by Aug 1st. That was yesterday...

The letter also mentions proof of vaccinations. I sent that last year and there are no further vaccinations due until Doodle is 12. I am assuming that last year's was on file. I wonder if not resubmitting will lead to problems...

I picked up my portfolio this morning and promptly looked through it when I got back home. I included samples for both Health and PE! So, not only did my log list books used for Health and activities participated in for PE, but the sample section actually had...samples! I think someone in the school district has ADD.

My sensei says to always look for the silver lining. As a result of this incident, I feel more informed about what my legal obligations are and much more confident about my record keeping method and my homeschool program as a whole.

The letter also mentions proof of vaccinations. I sent that last year and there are no further vaccinations due until Doodle is 12. I am assuming that last year's was on file. I wonder if not resubmitting will lead to problems...

I say bring it on!!

Ok, maybe not, lol. Does the law say you have to submit it every year? If so, then yes, you have to do it.

Does the law say you have to submit it every year? If so, then yes, you have to do it.

No, you do not have to submit vaccinations.  Here is a copy of the wording in my affidavit:

I attest that:

• I am the parent, guardian, or legal custodian of the above students.
  • I am the supervisor of the home education program and am responsible for the provision of instruction in the home education program. 
  • I have earned a high school diploma or its equivalent.
  • The subjects required by law will be offered in the English language. 
  • Each of the above students has received the immunizations required by law, or has a medical or religious exemption. 
  • Each of the above students has received the health and medical services required by law for students of the child’s age or grade level.
  • No adult living in the home, or any person having legal custody of the student, has been convicted within five years of today’s date of any of the criminal offenses enumerated in Section 111 of the Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes.
  • The home education program shall comply with the provisions of Section 13-1327.1 of Pennsylvania Statutes Annotated

This notarized affidavit shall be satisfactory evidence thereof.

The affidavit is enough evidence that the student has received their vaccinations.