Menu

How to Learn Math - Stanford online course just started

ETA:  Here's the class

https://class.stanford.edu/courses/Education/EDUC115N/How_to_Learn_Math/about

And there are several discussions ongoing about it.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/477667-stanford-math-course-coming-anyone-else-interested/

Currently my feelings are mixed - so I'm backtracking on the enthusiastic recommendation! However, the class and the resulting discussions have been interesting and thought provoking, so worth a look if you are interested.

I am taking this class, and have started reading her book.  It is a breath of fresh air to me as I despised math and never progressed very far.   I am already starting to see why.   And hoping it's not too late to turn things around for my two kids.  One of my kids shines in math concepts and problem-solving, but is very poor with math computation.   Now I'm starting to understand that too.

Agree with the recommendation!

Well, I've been very inspired so far.  I pulled out my Kitchen Table Math books to review for dd7, and I'm drooling over RFWP's Problemoids for dd10 (again) . . . although I'm thinking that two Zaccaro books, HOE, Math for Real Kids, and LOF PreA are probably enough supplements for now!!!

Super short segments.  You can just watch them, or you can watch them and participate in the back-and-forth, which really just consists of you typing in short answers to some thought questions, and peer-reviewing short responses from others.  I usually just audit courses, but in this case I'm actually getting a lot out of participating fully.  It's very thought-provoking. 

So each session takes about an hour to get through, I'd guess, and the video segments are short.  I ended up reading all 25 pages of the Lament paper, only the first 5 were assigned, so you can definitely make it longer! But I've been dipping in and out of it all day and have finished 2 sessions already.  They posted the first 4 sessions now, and the next 4 will be up in a couple of weeks, but the whole course is meant to be 8 weeks long (just an hour or two per week).  It's worth it!

Because of you, I ended up borrowing the book from the library an hour ago :)

I'll be interested in what you think of it.  I wonder what I myself would think if I came to it after, rather than before, the discussion on the accelerated learning board, and seeing the criticisms by the math department professor, and so on.  I still think I got a lot out of it, including more of an understanding of ways my son might differ from me in math just because of being a boy.  I also went more toward doing some puzzles with him, and allowing more fun stuff to count as math.  I also decided to get AOPS Algebra as our his main curriculum to start whenever it has arrived and he has finished theater camp.